Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Chapter 18


Beth came out of the airport with her single bag, smiling at the man holding up a sign with her name. "I'm Beth DeSandra," she said.

"Beth," someone called, waving a hand.

She smiled and walked over there to give him a hug. "Why are you on this coast, silly?"

He grinned. "Escorting someone to the ESPY's. You?"

"Same. Apparently I have a driver."

"He's not licensed."

"He's got my name."

"He's not licensed." Her former fellow trainee handler stared down at her. "Who's supposed to pick you up?"

"Antonio Dala."

"That's not his people." He walked her back there. "Who hired you to pick her up? I'm a bit overprotective of my former helper."

"Miss Hilda did, sir," he said. He looked at her. "Though I can see why you might be paranoid. Women don't often like going with men they don't know."

Someone cleared his throat, making them look at him. "Antonio, he said Hilda hired him."

"I doubt that. Hilda's up to her eyeballs in company business today." He took her bag. "No dress?"

"Carefully packed by the tailor who fixed it for me. Brad Listings, this is Antonio Dala. Antonio, this is Brad. He was a trainee handler when I was. He's one that went to college and ended up out here at Mercer?" she asked him.

"Still." He smiled. "We've heard about the board trying things at the Reed Center. I'm so glad I got out of there."

"One of their last plots got me suspended for five days so I had time to do homework." Antonio snorted, walking her off. "I'll talk to you there, Brad."

"Sure, be safe, Bethie." He waved. Then he looked at the driver who was trying to disappear. "Good idea." He got an officer over to talk to him. They could ask that guy who had really hired him. You never could be too careful with Beth's safety.

***

Beth walked over to answer her hotel room's door, smiling at the well dressed man standing on the other side. "Yes, do I know you?" she asked, putting in an earring.

"I'm the driver for Mr. Dala, ma'am."

"All right. Give me a second." She turned to grab her clutch and wrap. He tried to grab her and stick a needle in her neck but she was still in practice to defend herself. Once he was down she sighed, settling in to redo her hair quickly. She repacked her purse and made sure she hadn't left anything in the hotel room she couldn't lose before walking over him and calling hotel security. They came up to grab the guy. "He was pretending to be my escort's driver," she said when one stared at her.

"How did you disarm him, ma'am?" the security guard asked with a smile.

"Taekwondo."

"Oh. Good job then. Any weapons?" She pointed at the needle. "That's a nasty thing. I'll get someone up to handle that for you. Are you staying in tonight?"

"I'm escorting someone to the ESPY's."

"Oh, dear. Does he...." He waved a hand at the guy.

"He knows there were a few problems in the past. He's very protective though."

"Good." He escorted her down to the lobby so she could wait in comfort and safety. Then he went back up to finish removing that guy from the hotel. The local police department would love him they were sure.

Beth looked up from checking her emails on her phone, smiling at the very late Antonio. "Forgot me?" she teased, standing up and strolling over.

"Traffic is nuts. There's a wreck or something from all the cop cars." He smiled, taking her arm once she had put her phone back into her clutch. "That does look nice on you."

"Thank you." They went to his sports car, letting him drive them off.

"So why all the cops?"

"Oh, someone said they were your driver."

He groaned, rubbing his forehead. "That family?"

"No idea. I just disarmed him and called security."

"Good!" She smirked at him. "Any idea why the board at the center hates you?"

"I have an idea but I'm hoping I'm wrong." He glanced at her at a light. She smiled. "Proving it would be hard and I've subtly started that."

"Hmm." He found the convention center, pulling into the parking area. He let the valet take the keys and got out with her. She smiled, taking his arm again as they walked off. "Are you sure you're all right? You feel shaky."

"I'm fine. Just a bit paranoid."

"Good. It seems like a reasonable action for you." She grinned. "You look so familiar sometimes."

"That's because you went to school for about six months with my mother. Middle school."

"Really?" She nodded. "Huh. Small world." They both took a breath before entering the reporter barrage area.

"Antonio!" one called. "Is that your new girlfriend?"

"She's my handler, people." They pouted. She smiled up at him, shrugging some. He grinned back. They made it inside with only a few questions having to be answered. So maybe it'd be okay tonight.

***

Beth called her lawyer friend. "It's Beth. Any news?" She listened to him read the report, wincing. "That's what I was worried about. So any idea? That'll work for me. No, I've had two different people here and one the LAPD told me led back to the center's board. Exactly, that was their fax. Thanks. Let me know. Yes, please do. Exactly. Thanks." She hung up and went to reclean her face. It was late and she had to fly back the next day. Unless something strange happened.

***

Beth reappeared back at the center, running into her father on purpose. "Hey, Bill." She dropped her bag to give him a hug. "You look upset. What's happened now?"

He stared at her. "You know about your father?"

"I've had a few people come up to me and tell me I look just like someone. Including his former wife. Which was about when my aunt started to give me interested looks as a cash cow but she hadn't heard that meeting. Apparently they met at a music festival. She had an idea about me."

"She's the one that told me to come check on you."

She smiled. "Well, that worked out well then."

"You're the one that filed a challenge to his will," he said quietly. She nodded. "Why? The money?"

She glared. "Do you really think I'm that shallow?" He shook his head, sighing at the end. "Has it escaped your notice that the board is trying a lot of things to get us shut down?"

"I have."

"And I can stop that."

He stared at her. "That's... oh." She nodded. "There was some thought that you wanted to take over."

"No, I don't. I just don't want it destroyed. It's basically the only home I've ever known." He nodded, patting her on the arm. "Though if you think that bad of me, what do the others think?"

"A few were wondering if you were going to change a lot of things to better suit yourself."

"There's very few things I'd like to see changed, and most of them are stupidity done by the board to have us shut down."

"I get that. Have you made sure?" She nodded. "Oh, dear."

"You know, I could also go find my maternal grandmother." Bill stared, mouth open. She stared back. "Mom wasn't rich but that's because she hated Grandma. So did my aunt. She's sent me a letter through my lawyer recently."

"That's weird."

"No, it's troubling. Especially with two snatch attempts in LA that had nothing to do with that family." He stared. She stared back. "Both thankfully handled by the LAPD."

He winced. "Her family?"

"The board."

"So they got into the filing?"

"Possibly."

Gwenny stomped up to them. "Beth, why are you trying to destroy the center?"

"I'm not! I'm trying to protect you guys." Gwenny glared. "They're trying to shut the center, Gwenny. Do you want that?" She shook her head. "Do you want all that political bullshit going on that's caused everyone problems?" She shook her head again. "That's what I'm fixing."

"Oh. We thought...."

Beth held up a hand. "It's a shame that the only real family I've ever had feels that way about me, so fuck you." She stared at her, getting a nod back. "It sucks greatly, Gwenny. You know me much better than that and you still thought it. The same as Bill did." She walked off, going up to her rooms to lock herself in and eat some ice cream. Then she'd do something later. She had tomorrow off anyway to go meet her grandmother at her care facility. This was going to be a long month.

***

Beth sat down in the pointed at seat, nodding at the older lady across from her. "Ma'am."

"You're my granddaughter."

"So I'm told. My mother never told me about you before she died."

"How did she die?"

"Car accident." She smiled at the nurse hovering nearby with a tea pot. "You don't have to wait on us, dear. I can pour tea." The nurse smiled at her and left them to talk. "Want to let it steep a bit more?" she asked, looking into the pot. "It's a weaker green tea."

"Please. I prefer strong flavors these days."

Beth smiled. "The stronger the tea, the more benefits it gives you," she quipped.

The woman stared at her. "Are you in college?"

"I am and also working full time while I train for my fencing competitions."

"You fence?"

"I do. I'm third in the nation right now." She smiled. "I recently moved up due to some politics going on within the federation."

"I see." She blinked. Beth poured her some tea. "A lump of sugar please, dear." She selected a pretty one to drop in carefully, then finished pouring in the tea. "Thank you." Beth handed that cup over then poured her own. "No sugar?"

"I had sugar earlier. I had to nibble pastries for breakfast because I haven't went shopping in a few days. I was out in LA for two days to escort a fellow athlete to an event."

"Oh. That's charming. Why?"

"I'm a handler, that means I do a lot of their paperwork and make arrangements for them. One of my athletes was presenting an award but didn't have anyone to go with him. It's something the athletes can ask the center to help with. Of course, nothing is expected beyond the being the pretty thing on their arm." She took a sip of her tea.

"That's nicer than it sounded then." She looked at her. "I've looked you up." Beth tipped her head, putting the cup down on the saucer after taking another sip. "I saw about that family."

"Thankfully I managed to avoid all that."

"I kicked your mother out for being an easy girl of pleasure."

Beth shrugged. "I had wondered why but I had nothing to do with that. She had been out on her own for three years before I came into being."

"True. No one's sure of your father's identity."

"I am. I've made sure as well."

The older lady stared at her. "You have?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"Because me doing so will shield some people that are presently being harmed." She stared at her. "People I respect greatly are being harmed. Therefore it's helping."

"I see." She put her cup down again, looking at her. "Are you still eligible for that family to take you?"

"No, though I consider that a fairly nosy question on our first meeting." She stared at her.

The old woman laughed. "You are strong willed."

"Yes, I am. Since the only family I knew I had was my aunt...." Her grandmother glared at her. She stared back. "You knew my mother died and didn't even send flowers to her funeral."

"She was disowned."

"Hmm. Disowned means that you only wanted to vet me to make sure I'm not like my mother. Unfortunately I am very like my mother. I have her strength of will. I have her ambition toward my goals. I have her strength of character and of patience." She smiled. "I'm not exactly like my mother but I'm just as strong as she was."

"She married some inferior boy," the old lady sneered.

"That inferior boy she married was the second son of a shipping company owner and she married him to protect him from his mother trying to kill him." Her grandmother gaped. Beth pulled up that file to show her. "That's on my almost stepfather. His mother ended up killing him six months later to keep him out of the succession of the company's top job." Her grandmother read it over, grimacing. "As far as I could tell, they met in high school."

She handed the phone back. "I see. I had not heard that part."

"Would it have mattered?" Beth asked quietly, staring her down. "You seemed ready to throw her away anyway." Her grandmother sneered. "Even my aunt said that."

"Your aunt has issues."

"Yes she does. I lived with her for five years. I'm well aware of her faults and issues. Then thankfully I got out of that toxic household thanks to doing sports."

The old lady shifted, grimacing. "Women shouldn't really do such things."

"If it's good enough for royal heirs, it's good enough for any woman."

Her grandmother stared at her. "You're obnoxious."

She smiled. "I could have turned softer but Mother was my only female influence." She picked up her tea to sip. "You turn out however you will but a lot of people do turn into their parents."

"Too true." She looked her over. "You're built like your aunt. Is that extra weight healthy for you?"

"I'm not overweight, Grandmother. I'm very muscled, but it's not fat. And yes, the muscles are helpful in my fields."

"Oh." She sneered. "I still think you're too much like your mother."

"I'll gladly take that compliment, ma'am." She put down the cup and stood up. "You have a better day and I hope it answered some of your questions."

"You're leaving?" she demanded.

"You clearly don't want me here. I'm not going to overstay my welcome. I have no outstanding questions about my mother or aunt. Did you want to talk more so you get to know me better? I'm fine with that if you'd like but I don't want to wear out any sort of welcome."

"Sit." Beth sat back down, her purse going beside her feet. "You are not as nice as people say."

Beth stared at her. "Do you think things have happened to make me nice?" She smiled. "I'm self protective. I've learned that need over the years since my mother died. Though, there was a question about my mother's death since the driver of the car was said to be in the employ of your former husband." She stared at her. "Is that why you divorced him?" Her grandmother glared. "It was in the official reports, which are open to anyone. My aunt got a copy for me and made sure I read it then never spoke of it again."

"I did not tell him to do that."

"So he was jealous?"

"He wanted a son, a true heir, and your mother's birth caused damage."

Beth nodded. "I've seen that happen."

"It was his decision and yes, why I divorced him."

Beth smiled. "He's a member of the center where I work and train."

"Is he bothering you?"

"He's on the board and they have bothered me. Otherwise, no idea."

"He's a snake, young lady. I'd watch out for him."

She smiled. "I'm very self protective, Grandmother. There's nothing he can do to me. He realizes that."

"That's good." She sipped her tea. "It does taste better warm."

"Tea is only good ice cold or very hot," she agreed, getting comfortable to sip her tea. They could be civil.

***

Beth showed up at the director's office when she got back, as ordered. She smiled as she walked in, pulling out something to hand to the board member in there. "Because you got into sealed, private court documents before they were released. Also, you'll notice a wrongful death suit since it was your valet that killed my mother, on your order, Grandfather." The man spluttered and choked. She smiled. "Good thing I went looking when people started to act funny around me. Huh?" She smiled at the director. "Was that all I was needed for, Director?"

"You were talking to one of the majority owners of the Center?" he asked patiently.

"Yes, that's my grandmother." The director winced. "You didn't know?"

"I did," he sighed.

"I figured you did because you never said anything to me about swearing." She shrugged. "If they hadn't started on me, I might not have wondered and gone looking. Though I knew about his valet. My aunt made sure I got a copy of the investigation report." She stared at her grandfather. "I'm very like my mother in many ways. Thankfully without my aunt's personality problem as well." She took off her gloves to put into her bag, staring at the director.

"What are your plans?"

"Protecting the center. The same as I've been doing." The director winced. "Though I do wonder why my grandfather told that family that I was just what they were looking for and if he paid them to continue after it looked like a losing proposition."

"No one will believe you," her grandfather sneered.

"DNA doesn't lie unless your name is OJ. As I've never played football, never killed my ex-wife and her lover, and I've already gotten a will made out, it'll be whatever it is. My only concern is that I protect those who have been like a family to me."

"No one will believe anything you say."

"I doubt that."

"That DNA test wasn't ever verified."

"It was. The judge had it reverified twice. Just in case. He has copies of everything, including my mother's death's investigation, and so do a few others who can release it."

"Does Bill?" the director asked quietly.

"No. I kept him out of it to keep him safer. Though I was quite disappointed that he accused me of trying to harm everyone here."

"You get nearly Britishly formal when you're upset," the director said.

"I learned it from my mother. She even got to the clipped accent part when she got mad."

The director nodded. "Can you calm down so we can talk about this?"

"No. Especially not with who they found trying to snatch me in LA." She stood up, picking up her purse. "You guys have a great day. I have to go finish algebra homework."

"We can fire you," the board member said, glaring at her.

She smiled. "That would leave you open to a third lawsuit for unlawful termination, Grandfather. Beyond that, I can find another job. It won't stop me any. I'm just as strong as my mother was." She turned to walk off but the director gasped and Beth felt a sharp pain hit her arm right before a loud 'bang' noise. She gasped, holding it as she turned to stare at him. "Very brave of you to fire on someone when their back's turned. You do remember there's cameras in here?"

"They won't show anything. I'm on the board," he sneered.

"No, actually you're not," Beth said simply. "You really should go to legal hearings, Grandfather." She nodded at the guard in the doorway. "He shot me. Can I be helped down to get an ambulance please?"

"Of course, DeSandra." The head of the guard unit helped her down while the guards arrested the two men. "What happened?" he asked in the elevator.

"That's my grandfather," she said quietly. "He had my mother killed." The man winced. "That's why the board has been trying to hard to get rid of me."

"Because you can inherit the center."

"Yup. Which led to a lot of people thinking I'm a money grubbing ho, but I'm not. I'm going to protect the center, no matter what they think." She sighed as they came out and the police were rushing in. One stopped to stare at her. "The office has cameras."

"We've already pulled the film. She got shot in the shoulder."

"We can get her an ambulance. Do you want to wait in your infirmary?"

"No," Beth said. "It was one of the board members and the director didn't do a damn thing to stop him. All because I let on that I knew the board member was a relative and he had my mother killed." She got helped outside by the guard, who put her into the ambulance himself. "It hurts," she said quietly. "I think it's in the bone."

"It looks like it," the paramedic said, getting them going to the ER. "You're very calm."

"I'm livid and I'm plotting their demise by mythical, almost Hollywood, means."

"Good idea. What happened?"

"My grandfather wasn't happy I noted I was his granddaughter and he had my mother killed."

"Oh, dear."

"It's been a really long day. My grandmother, who I met earlier, divorced him for that. That's all she did."

"Real winners then," the paramedic agreed.

Beth nodded. "Yeah, it is. Thankfully my mother was better." She relaxed, wincing as the wound rubbed. "Ow." The paramedic helped her out of her shirt so they could get to it easier. The hospital was only a few blocks away so they could handle it quickly.

***

Richard stomped into Beth's hospital room. "What the hell?" he demanded.

She smiled slightly. "About which one?"

"You're taking over the center?"

"No. I'm owed fifty-three percent of the stock. We verified who my father was." He made go on motions with his hook. "I'm in here thanks to my grandfather, who is on the board. That's why they started all that shit, and why they got that family onto me. I personally think he paid them to get me out of notice. Can't prove it yet or if he was involved with one of the attempted courthouse shootings."

"Is that why there's rumors you got into a fist fight?"

"No, I slugged the lady that the board hired to annoy all the teenage handlers. She thought I was an uppity slut. And that I was my trainee Amanda."

"You're neither." She smiled at him. "Why are you in here?"

"Because I'm in for observation to make sure the new bullet hole in my shoulder doesn't get infected." He stared, mouth open. She grimaced. "My grandfather is *such* a charming sort."

"Excuse me?" he demanded, glancing outside then at her. She nodded. "When did this happen?"

"Two hours ago. Then I sent messages to everyone that might get hurt to please not come near me for a few days until things settled down as it looked like there was going to be another attack on me and I valued them too much to get them hurt too."

He cleared his throat. "Yeah, the wife got that and got confused."

"Sorry. I tried to make it subtle."

"Don't be sorry. It's not your fault."

"I could have not stepped up but then the center would've been shut by next year and merged with the Woodblinds."

"We'd never stand that."

"Me either."

"Are you good?"

"No. I'm really mad. If I was the crying sort I'd be sobbing but I'm not."

He nodded. "Sometimes it's necessary."

"That means I'm safe and that's not going to happen anytime soon."

"Point." He shifted his stance, looking around the room then at her. "I need to tell Al. He's really pissed off."

"Celia knew. She was nosing around my apartment and found the file of legal paperwork."

"That's going to be a shouting match."

"Yup." She smiled. "It'll all even out soon."

"Are you sure they can't block you?"

"They can, that's always possible. Then again, the one that shot me had better be going to jail. Even if he tries something mealy minded like saying I was trying to blackmail him, the tape in the office would prove I wasn't. I keep all emails, professional and not." She grinned. "Besides, there's no one else to hold those shares. That's why my grandfather filed to have them put into the open for buying."

"This is going to get complicated."

"No it won't." She smiled. "It's just going to be a swamp for a few days to a week. Even if they appeal it, a few of the secrets that have been let out will cause a lot of the board problems. Unfortunately one of the good ones as well. So you really should be safe, Richard."

"They can't hurt me, Beth. My wife would rip them a new one, and if not, my ex is FBI." He smirked. "You need anything?"

"Nah. I'm good. Thanks though."

"Welcome." He left, going to his car to call Al. "There's a huge twisted story that's been going on behind the scenes," he said in greeting. "Celia found the paperwork and knows." He hung up then got out to check his car. No bomb so that was nice. He got back in and went home to talk to his wife and ex-wife. She wasn't going to be happy to be included.