Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Chapter 3


Beth pulled off her fencing mask, looking at the man who had rushed into their practice space. "You should not rush in that way. It could get you injured."

"Ma'am, we need you on the main floor," he said.

She bowed to her opponent, who bowed back. She walked off wiping down her foil. She still had an hour of practice time scheduled today. She came off into the main entryway, nodding at the women there. "Ladies, problems?"

"Not many," Linda said. "Our passes expired?"

Beth looked at the readout. "The system's down," she said dryly. She rebooted it and suddenly it worked. "They were 'fixing' it earlier." The ladies all laughed. "I'll have someone check and call Hank. Go warm up, ladies." A few gave her odd looks. Beth smiled. "I do fence competitively, just not for National team spots." They nodded, heading to their lockers. She looked at the guard who had called her. "The phones down?"

"Yes."

"Is that what's wrong with the sensors?"

"Not sure."

"Okay, I'll call their team manager." She went up to her office to call from there. "Hank, Beth at the Reed Center. Has something happened? We're not sure if their passes not working is on our end or yours. They were fixing the system earlier so I'm making sure." She listened to him ask the owner, who said they were still paying dues. "Okay, I'll make sure things work. Here just now. Thanks, Hank." She hung up and called security. "It's on our end." She hung up and went back to her gym. Her opponent, who was in the same waiting on someone to move out of the way state she was, smiled. "Pass system's partially down."

"Great. I saw the workmen." They put back on their masks and got back to it. "What about switching weapons. An epee isn't as covered."

"I can use an epee and a saber," Beth admitted, dodging and thrusting again. Her opponent scored a point but she scored two soon after. The computer scoring system chimed. Beth stepped back and properly saluted her. "Good match."

"I've been clumsy recently. I need to see the PT's to have them check why." She shook her hand. "Have a great day. See you next week?"

"I'm going to be in Illinois with one of my charges but definitely the week after."

"That's fine. Thanks, Beth."

"Welcome. Have a good day, Cecily." They got changed and put up their gear, heading back to where they should be. Beth walked down the hall doing up her hair. She took the envelope one of the guards held out. "Thank you. Bad or good?"

"Mail."

"Okay." She opened it on her way to the soccer gym. She stared then went down to security to hand it to the head guy. "Apparently it came in the mail?"

He looked at the envelope. "Not mailed here. Who gave it to you?"

"The young sandy blond guy you hired about six months ago. He had a stack of envelopes in his hand when he walked past me."

"I thought I fired him for leering at some of the females." He got up to track him down and escort him off property. That also somehow fixed the pass system's problems.

Beth went up to tell the ladies the passes were fixed and ran into Al's ex-wife. "I know you were banished," she said bluntly, touching her earpiece. "Security to gym floor 2," she ordered. Guards came rushing off the elevator not even a minute later. "Guys, she's banned for screwing with her ex's shooting rig." They nodded, walking her off.

The head of security stared at her. "We'll check the office and all the other areas, including his locker and yours." She smiled, patting him on the arm. "Celia's in, go help her?"

"I can do that." She went down to the ice rink in the basement, leaning on the wall. "Celia, you good?"

"I can't figure things out." She was skating aimlessly around looking pissed off.

Beth found the spare 'coach' skates and slid out. "We know I suck at it, but let's work on things."

Celia looked at her. "Are you bored?"

"Al's ex just showed up."

"Really?"

"Security has her, Celia. Calm down." Celia had a hot temper that led to her being able to disable someone then calmly walk over them humming in pleasure. They didn't need an incident today.

"Fine. I need to add a spin and I can't figure out which one. Since my coach is off due to illness I'm stuck."

"Okay, do the four moves before it and let's see what happens." She nodded, skating off to do that. Beth watched, shaking her head. "Those look awkward together. It looks like you have to really work to get up enough speed for the second jump."

"New rules," she complained.

"Can you switch your spin there and move that jump back?"

"It'll mean I'll be tired and that one's harder."

"Move it forward and replace another one that you move toward the end?"

She considered it while skating around. She did the whole routine while Beth sat on the wall. "That one's good there. So are the next two," she said. She changed the next jump to that harder one then moved the next part of the routine to where it was better.

"Arching," Beth called. "Also fingers." Celia nodded as she redid that part. "Still arching." Celia huffed. "Maybe you should try pairs?"

"I did when I had to switch. I couldn't trust a partner that much." She shrugged and tried that spin again. Beth came out to help her. She nodded, going again once Beth was out of the way.

"Up or down, Celia. You can go lower if you want or higher and spin out of it to something dance looking." She changed the end of the spin to do that, nodding at how it worked. It let her build up for the next move. At the end, she gulped the water Beth grabbed for her then tried it again as one piece. Beth nodded, timing it. She smiled. "Just under four minutes."

"My music should fit with that. I can make sure later." She smiled. "Thank you."

"Never a problem, you know that." She smiled and took off the skates, putting back on her loafers so she could get back to work. Security guards were more noticeable now and one nodded at her. She smiled at him. "It'll be fine."

"Director Bell wanted to see you, Beth," that one reported.

She sighed as she headed up to his office. "Big problems, Director?"

"One huge one that's not you, Beth." He pointed at a picture. "It was found in your desk?"

She looked then snorted, pushing it back. "You know that wasn't my weed. I'll gladly do another drug test to make sure for legal reasons."

"I know it's not yours. That leaves a problem of who planted it."

She shrugged. "I lock my office when I'm gone for a while but there's no telling. Any fingerprints?"

"Being run." He sent a message down to security, who sent back the file. He winced. "That's going to be a problem."

"Let me get Linda," she said quietly. She called down to the gym. "Linda, Beth. We need you in the main office," she said quietly. "It looks like one of your squad did something stupid." She hung up and sat down, shaking her head. "Most of them are really good."

"I know. Looking at her file, she's had a few problems. She's also missing gym time." Linda tapped then walked in. He held up the picture and the fingerprint report. "They can't prove she planted it by hallway cameras. Her fingerprints were on the bag."

"Al's ex was up near my office," Beth said.

"I'm having them look over your hallway's cameras, Beth." He looked at Linda.

"If it was her, she's off the team anyway," she said. "You okay, Beth?"

"I'm good. It's been a long day thanks to earlier but I'm fine." She smiled. "Trouble comes for us great women because we're so good and others hate to see us succeed."

Linda nodded. "It does." Another file got sent up by email. "Was it her?"

"She wasn't anywhere near that hallway but it looks like she may be working with the banned member."

"I had security remove her when I spotted her," Beth said. "Before I punched her in the nose."

Director Bell smiled, shaking his head. "I would've hit her first." He ran a hand over his dark, bald head. "The woman always was a duffer about sports." He looked at Linda. "I can't prove it."

"I'm wondering why Hank keeps her on the team," Linda said. "I'll have a talk with Hank after practice." Beth texted him to show up. "Thanks."

"Not a problem. I know there's no listening or recording devices here outside the PR department." She patted her on the arm. "I posted the reservations, did you guys look it over?" She nodded. "Okay. I'll finalize them later in the system." She got up and looked at the director. "Let's go back to practice. I'll help by being a cheerleader." Linda laughed but they went back together. It was safer.

Bell went down to meet Hank so they could talk. "It's not happy news," he said in greeting.

"I didn't figure it was." He followed him up to the office. "Something huge?"

"Yes. I'm not sure if she's messed up with the other problem we're having but they do have a person in common." Hank looked confused. "We have a person the UAE would like to recruit."

"I've seen some good players go that way," Hank admitted. The report was handed over. "Where were her fingerprints?"

"On the drugs that were planted in the team handler's desk," he said, holding up that photo. "We can't prove she was there outside those. She wasn't in the hallway by the cameras. We're fairly certain we know who planted them. She's had problems since Beth is also her ex-husband's handler. She was banned for tampering with his equipment." Hank grimaced but nodded. "But your player is causing problems anyway. According to security she showed up barely drunk and in spiked heels and insisted she could practice in heels. Someone told her it wasn't the lingerie league."

"Does Linda know?"

"Yes. Beth called her up to tell her first since she's the team captain and that problem child is down there right now." He stared at him. "I can't dictate things to you about your team, but she's dangerously riding the edge to banned status. All it will take is one proof positive incident. She could've been banned when she assaulted the security team who was trying to decide if she was too drunk to practice."

"I get that," Hank agreed. "I agree with the alcohol policy but I'd put it at zero."

"We had two people who were hardcore functioning alcoholics at one point in time. They could blow .15 and you couldn't tell they were drunk. One was drinking about having to leave his family when he escaped Russia. The other one lost his whole family in a wreck. We did counseling with both of them until they could quit. I doubt your girl could claim the same ability at being drunkly sober as they could."

"No, probably not." He reread the file. "I'll talk to her tonight."

"We do have a therapist on staff for athlete needs. Beth can also find her a good rehab if you and she want."

"I'll keep that in mind. Thank you for telling me. Let me go talk to her and Linda." He left, going down to the gym. He walked in and sat on the small bleacher set, watching the team practice. He noticed his problem child as they were calling her was on the sidelines too. Linda glanced over but he waved. They needed practice. When they were finished with the scrimmage, he clapped. "Ladies, let's run drills."

Beth hopped up. "C'mon, I'll block, ladies. Let them talk about higher up stuff." They nodded, giving Linda a few sideways looks.

"Are you naturally a goalie?" the actual goalie asked with a smile.

"Nope. I'm naturally a center fullback usually." They all grinned and ran drills against Beth, letting her block shots. "Let's try that on the other side." They nodded, coming in from the other direction. That was a bit weaker for a few of them so they got back into line to make new shots. They moved back from there to longer distance shots.

Hank sighed, looking at Linda. "You got any opinion beyond stabbing her with her stiletto heels?"

"Not really. She's a good player but she's not great and her head is now bigger than an elephant's. She's going to end up getting some of us hurt."

"She will." He considered his options. "Fine. I'll give her the ultimatum." He whistled and waved at that one woman, who was trying to practice but no one would let her. "What do you think you're doing trying to run in high heels?" he demanded quietly. "This isn't the ho bowl, Samantha." He stared at her. "Your attitude and problems are getting out of hand. Do you remember what I told you when you joined the team?" Samantha huffed. "You have a choice of rehab or finding a new team. I can't have you endangering the others."

"Fine," she sneered, stomping off. "You'll be sorry you lost me. Not like you can find anyone with my skills."

"Beth seems to be good enough," Hank said dryly. "Since she's a backup player, I'm pretty sure I can find someone like her. You have a great life. When you turn in your passes, I'll give you your last paycheck and locker's stuff." She stomped off. Hank sighed. "Got anyone you've seen you like?"

Linda shook her head. "Not really. That'll leave us down during our next game but Gina's almost as good."

"We can work with her," Hank said. Linda nodded and they got up. He came down to look at them. "Ladies, an announcement." They stopped kicking the ball around. "Samantha's bull just got too deep to take. She didn't want to give up the nightlife so she's off the team. Gina, that means we need you to step up." She smiled and nodded. "We'll hold tryouts in a few weeks for the spot. Then we'll test them against you, Gina, to see who's first string."

"That's fine," Gina agreed, pushing back her ebony hair. She smiled at the others. "Beth, I guess we don't need as many single rooms."

Beth waved a hand. "I'll fix it when I get back to my office." She tossed the ball to Linda. "Anything I need to know? I can send out letters of interest to the main college programs."

"We can do that," Hank assured her with a smile. Beth nodded and left.

"Ladies, another point," Linda said, looking at them. "Beth has recently had some serious recruitment pressure from overseas. Like some others we've heard about."

"The 'come marry us, be our olympic team' pressure?" her goalie asked. Linda nodded. "Poor girl. The rest of you get that, let us know. That way we can protect you. They'd never take me because I'm not that pretty or that pure. A few of you are."

"Really?" Gina asked.

"Not so much for soccer," Hank said. "Most countries that want teams have teams. But single sports, or if you get well known, yeah it can happen. Ladies like Beth, who are in a low participation sport like fencing, they want them harder. Especially in places that are looking to build an olympic record."

"The Middle East likes girls like her," the goalie said. "She's pretty, probably not all that educated in guys, and she's good enough to make a team if there's no one above her."

"I thought the Middle East didn't like women to compete," another girl said.

"They don't want *girls* to participate," Hank said. "Wives aren't expected to be pure and they'd gladly marry a girl like Beth to give her a good social standing and backing to go to any games anywhere." They all nodded. "If any of you get that sort of notice, let us know."

"We can," Gina promised, looking around then back at him. "I don't think they'll get any of us."

"The best players get courted," Linda said. "Because most countries have good players but great players are rare." They all nodded. "Let's get back to drills. We have a game next week." The ladies got back to it while Hank worked on specific skills.