Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup

Author's Chapter Notes:
Brief mention of drinking & drug use towards the end.

A(nother) Harry Potter Story

by Chyna Rose

Disclaimer: Harry Potter belongs to J.K. Rowling, Bloomsburry/Schoolastic Press, and Warner Brothers Pictures. My Hero Academia belongs to Hirokoshi Kohei, Weekly Shounen Jump, Viz Media, Studio Bones, and Funimation. This work was written for the fun of it and the challenge offered up by NaNoWriMo; no money has or will be made off of it.


"Holy hell! How did that happen?!" Ron blurted out, absolutely gobsmacked.



"Well, when an employee works for an employer for a very long time...” Draco started to say snarkily.



Harry rolled his eyes at Draco’s antics but looking at the table where their respective work schedules sat he could understand what had shocked Ron so much. It wasn’t so much that they’d all been granted time off from work, they had been due the time after all and May seemed to be a good time to take it, but the fact that through some miracle they’d all managed to snag the exact same week despite the fact that they hadn’t even thought to coordinate their time off beforehand. 



Now the question was since they were all going to have off at the same time, what were they going to do about it. Sure they could stick to the ‘plan’ of each of them making individual holiday plans like they would’ve done if things hadn’t ended up lining up so well. Or they could take advantage of this rare opportunity that would likely never happen again (at least not for a few years anyway - or if they had an actual reason to all request the same days off; not that that would be a guarantee that they would get them) and go on holiday together.



The five of them fell into a comfortable silence as they considered the possibilities. Both holidaying together and separately (or at least in smaller groups) had their pros and cons. On one hand, if they each went off on their own, they were almost certainly guaranteed to be able to see exactly what they wanted. While they did all get on together for the most part (none of them were perfect after all. They’d had their fair share of arguments and every one of them had habits that the others found annoying), they did all have their own different preferences and interests. Percy gravitated towards museums, historical sites, and other places that offered educational possibilities. Nevillie liked quiet green spaces. Draco was all about luxury and culture; the theatre, the symphony, wandering the shops on high street and hitting up Every. Single. Antiques boutique, boot sale, estate sale, craft fair, and flea market... he could find. Ron was all for lazing around on a beach or hitting up an amusement park or three. And Harry didn’t really care what he did so long as he was allowed to relax with as little stress as possible. There weren’t all that many activities that all five of them unanimously agreed about (Draco, for example, loathed roughing it with every fiber of his being).



But on the other hand, it was so rare for all of them to be free at the same time that they felt that they couldn’t afford to pass up the opportunity to spend time together like this. As an actuary (Percy) and a tactical consultant (Ron) respectively, Percy and Ron had the most consistent schedules, being able to work the traditional Monday through Friday nine to five (plus overtime as needed and the occasional emergency for Ron). Neville and Draco were fairly consistent when it came to the number of hours a week they worked (again, eight hours a day plus some overtime every now and again; more for Draco than Neville) but which days (and in some cases for Draco, hours) those were were sometimes up for debate. Now Harry, as both a paramedic and a hero, had the craziest schedule out of all of them. Not only did he work longer hours than the other (twelve hour or longer shifts were, sadly, not all that uncommon for him) and have to be on call a couple of times a week, but which shift on which days he was scheduled for had a tendency to change every couple of weeks or so. Add in being called in during emergencies for his hero work...



“Road trip?” Neville tentatively offered. The other four carefully thought that over.



“That could work...” Percy mused as he began mentally chasing down the logistics of just how.



“But where would we go?” Ron asked.



“We could always head up country. Edinburgh’s roughly an eight hour drive. We could take our time and split that over a couple of days, maybe stop in Leeds or York. If we head west towards the coast on the way back we can stop in the Lake District - which I know would make Draco happy.” Percy offered. 



“What about heading down towards Bristol? Take a quickish day trip to Bath before heading over to Devon and then looping along the coast and back up through either London or Oxford.” Draco countered, “It offers a lot of the same things as heading north, but the drive’s a lot more scenic thanks to the coast. We could also easily hit up Stonehenge if we wanted to.



“Just as long as we steer well clear of Surrey.” Harry interjected, “I know that the Surrey Hills are considered an area of outstanding beauty, but there’s just too many bad associations you know?”



“It might be better to bypass London altogether if we take Draco’s proposed route. While I do enjoy spending time there, I think that we’ve all been there enough times to want to see other places. We can always catch a train and head in the next time we all have a free weekend together if we wanted. In addition to that, you know that the traffic around there's going to be absolutely horrid. Not to mention how hard (and potentially expensive) it is going to be to try and find parking if we find something that we'd like to stop and see while there.” Percy pointed out. 



“They both sound like good plans.” Neville said, considering the merits of each route. 



"We don't have to decide right now do we?" Ron asked, "I mean we have a couple of days to decide since we're not going to be leaving until the sixteenth - which is about three weeks from now - right?"



"True. But it would be better to decide sooner rather than later since that would mean that we would have better chances making hotel reservations as well as giving us the opportunity to purchase any tickets we would need in advance." Percy said.



“Bristol and Bath are a lot closer than Edinburgh, so we’d be spending less time driving and more time exploring or relaxing if we went south. Plus I like the idea of  having a good long hot soak. You know how things have been for me lately, and thanks to Billy being more of a god-damned idiot than usual, I doubt that that’s going to change anytime soon.” Harry said. 



The others had to concede that Harry had a valid point. Draco’s route would mean that they would be spending less time on the road and more time at their various destinations. Plus things had been a bit crazier for Harry than usual. One of his coworkers on another shift had royally fucked up - as in he was likely going to lose his job over it fucked up. It was bad enough that he’d managed to crash one of the ambulances taking both him and his partner out of commission for at least three months while their various injuries healed, but he’d hit another car at speed and been very drunk at the time. Add to that the fact that his post accident blood test showed a number of illicit drugs that should in no way have been in his system (this was not the kind of thing that you could explain away with having a pothead neighbor or grabbing the poppy seed muffin instead of the chocolate chip one for breakfast that morning). Of course he was crying how it was not his fault in the least and that he was the victim here. And if that wasn’t enough, the investigation was turning up more and more things that didn’t look good. Like additional criminal charges not good. All this had the unfortunate result of Harry having to pull additional shifts as his supervisors scrambled to cover the loss of two people when they were already on the understaffed end of things.



“So I guess it’s decided then?” Neville asked, “We’ll head south to Bristol, Bath, and Devon before swinging east and back up to Birmingham?”



Before Harry or the others could voice his agreement, Harry’s pager went off. “Fuck my life.”