Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Dazed, Harry blinked and then blinked again. And then he’d blinked once more just for good measure. Something wasn't right. Really not right. He couldn't quite put his finger on what was off, but...



"Hey mate, you alright?"



Harry opened his mouth to answer then closed it. Was he alright? He felt fine; it was just everything else that felt off. But did that mean that he was alright it was just everything else that wasn’t or that everything else was alright it was just him - or rather, his perception of the world around him - that wasn’t. He opened his mouth to answer then closed it. And blinked.



“I’ll take that as a no then.”



Harry opened his mouth to protest. He felt fine. He was fine. The kid had just been shaken up first from the crash and then from seeing a strange man hurting her mother. He wouldn’t go so far as to say that she hadn’t meant to hit him - clearly she had, and he understood why she felt that she had to. CPR could be violent to watch - especially when you didn’t know what CPR was - and he had to be touching a person’s chest just above the heart when he used Stop-Gap which was near enough to where they’d been when he was doing chest compressions.



Harry opened his mouth to protest. He was fine, or he’d be fine as soon as he could cast a counter curse to the confundus charm he’d so obviously been hit with - which he’d do as soon as he found his wand... That he could’ve sworn he was holding...



Before he could even once again blink (or did he blink and it was better to say in the space of a blink), Harry found himself reclined on the gurney in the back of his ambulance with an oxygen mask on his face and his partner Frank taking his pulse. He tried to sit up and pull the oxygen mask off with the hand that Frank wasn’t slipping the pulse oximeter on but he was gently pushed back down.



Before he could even once again blink (or did he blink and it was better to say in the space of a blink), Harry found one of his arms being slung across the shoulder of his partner Mark who was preparing to side along apparate him. He tried to twist out of Mark’s grip to find his wand but Mark held firm



“Don’t worry, we’ll get you back and fixed up right as rain soon enough.” Frank said as someone else started up the ambulance and sped them off towards the hospital.



“But...” Harry protested as he tried to sit up again.



“Don’t worry, we’ll get you back and fixed up right as rain soon enough.” Mark said as he began to apparate them to St. Mungo's.



“But...” Harry protested as he stared forlornly where he thought his wand was.



At the hospital, Harry was wheeled in still struggling to sit up while Frank filled in the doctor who’d met them at the doors about what had happened. They’d responded to the report of a vehicular accident involving three vehicles and, as it turned out, had been the second ambulance on the scene. The crew of the first on scene ambulance was busy tending to the driver of the most damaged car so they checked on the driver and passengers of the next one. The driver - an adult male - of that car had been mostly fine; no apparent broken bones and what looked like just some simple bruises and lacerations with a possible concussion from his head hitting the dashboard. But of the two passengers, one an adult woman the other a small child, the woman had been much worse off. She’d been having trouble breathing and had been barely conscious when they’d gotten to her and began to work on her. At one point her heart had stopped and that was when the trouble had started. Harry had had to use both CPR and Stop-Gap to restart her heart and the child, being too young to understand what was happening as well as being traumatized by the crash, had been convinced that Harry had been trying to hurt her mom and had used her quirk on Harry to get him to stop ‘hurting [her] mummy’. This was actually the first time that the girl had manifested her quirk, so no one knew what it actually did. Harry had been conscious but mentally slow to respond. His pulse had been a bit quick, but his eyes weren’t dilated and responded normally to the pen light.



At the hospital, Harry was brought in still struggling to get to where he believed his wand was while Mark explained what he knew of what happened to the charge witch. They’d been called out to a domestic dispute involving the casting of dark magic. While yes, the couple had been fighting and it had gotten nasty with both spells and accusations flying, there had been no real evidence of dark magic being cast. They managed to get the couple calmed down enough to stop cursing and separated so that they could take the couple’s individual statements when Harry had been shot in the back with an unknown curse by a third party that Mark hadn’t seen. While the effects had been similar to the confundus charm, the confusion didn’t lift after the proper countercurse had been cast.



Harry was admitted overnight for observation. There was no physical damage that they could find. No concussion, brain swelling, bruising of lesions and his blood panel had come back clean. His blood pressure was normal. He wasn’t dehydrated. He wasn’t running a fever or showing other signs of heat exhaustion or sunstroke. His blood sugar was a bit low, but that could easily be explained by him not having eaten anything since lunch six or so hours ago and him having to use Stop-Gap. And even without taking that into account, it still wasn’t low enough for them to be concerned about hypoglycemia. Which meant that it had to have been something to do with the distraught child’s quirk, and unfortunately all they could do at this point was to wait an see if the effect would wear off or until the full nature of the quirk could be discovered and perhaps with it, a way to end the effects (which could very well entail waiting a certain amount of time for the quirk’s effects to wear out).



Harry was admitted to the spell damage ward overnight for observation. The diagnostics spells had not been able to determine what the spell that had hit Harry had been. They hadn’t found any potions in his system or physical damage that could cause Harry’s symptoms. There was no trace of the Imperius curse. Finite Incantum hadn’t worked. None of the common counter curses - including the one that specifically countered the confundus charm (sure, Mark said that he’d already tried that one, but it didn’t hurt to try it again just in case it’d been miscast the first time) - worked. None of the more obscure counter curses worked. Which meant that the only thing they could do at this point was wait to see if the curse’s effects wore off in due time or if they could track down the guy who’d shot him and get him to tell them what spell he’d used.



“Knock, knock.”



Harry turned his head to look in the direction of the door to find Draco standing there holding a small potted plant that had clearly come from Neville. Draco took that as an invitation to come in, placing the plant down on the nightstand next to the bed. 



“I heard what happened.” Draco stated.



“Obviously.” Harry snorted.



“I won’t bother asking if you’re ok since we both know the answer. So is there anything you need?” Draco asked.



“Knock, knock.”



Harry turned his head to look in the direction of the door to find Ron standing there holding a cheap get well soon bear that had clearly been hurriedly transfigured. Ron took that as an invitation to come in, placing the bear down on the nightstand next to the bed.



“I heard what happened.” Ron stated.



“Obviously.” Harry snorted.



“I won’t bother asking if you’re ok since we both know the answer. So is there anything you need?” Ron asked.



After two days of being stuck in the hospital and once the world started feeling ‘right’ (or at least as right as it ever did. There had always been a subtle almost unconscious wrongness that lingered like the dregs of a bad dream even hours after waking that they’d all felt; like there was something missing that they couldn’t put their finger on) Harry was released home to spend the next week or so off on medical leave and under orders to take it easy. They still knew next to nothing about the kid’s quirk (including what it actually did other than make Harry exhibit symptoms similar to someone under the influence of heavy drugs or who had a major concussion. Harry couldn’t even fully explain what he’d experienced under the effects of the quirk; only that it was hard to focus and that everything just felt wrong) and couldn’t be sure that there weren’t any side effects or long term effects since it had seemed to wear off naturally rather than be cancelled or reversed. While Harry was thrilled to get out of the hospital, he wasn’t so happy about the enforced time off or the orders to rest. He did understand why he’d been ordered to stay home and rest; you had to be careful with quirks that affected the brain even when dealing with a quirk who’s effects were well documented since the brain was very important and delicate. And they wanted to make sure that there wasn’t any actual damage to his brain that might affect his job since brain damage wasn’t always visible even with all the modern technology at their disposal. After all, it wouldn’t do to think that this was all over and then have him get into an accident because he had an episode and spaced out while driving the ambulance or mix up the medications he was administering to someone because he’d misread the label on the bottle. Harry just wasn’t looking forward to how boring taking it easy was bound to be or how clingy his roommates would be in their worry over his health (Harry conveniently forgot that he tended to be just as bad when it was one of the others out on sick leave).