Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


"Not feasible for a permanent alternative energy source, but it can be gathered for certain functions. We're working on that." Dr. Stark says. "Or they're supposed to be working on it."

 

"Arguing?"

 

"God yes. 'Why do we have to look into this? We've got solar and the alternate energy'." He says in a mocking tone.

 

"And what happens if you don't have an alternative power source and it's the middle of a storm that dumps feet of snow on the solar panels, blocking them so they don't get power? No lights, no water, no heat?" David snorts.

 

"I never thought of that." Josette says in a clueless scientist voice.

 

"Yes, the lab trolls often do lose touch with reality." Dr. Stark says, rolling his eyes. "I still remember the one that took months to realize we had a new sheriff after Carter arrived." Josette sniggers.

 

"How are you coming on your classes?"

 

"Good, I'm a year into the electrical engineering degree and three semesters into the chem degree. The others I'm either a full semester or year in for the others at the end of the semester."

 

"Have you thought about a marine biology degree?" Admiral Nelson purrs as he pulls Josette off to talk to her as David sniggers.

 

"How are you on your degrees?"

 

"Henry agrees that my project is complete and my paper's good too. I'm hoping to have the other paper finished in the next couple of years." David mock pouts. "It's not fair that our Masters are four yours and every other dimension we've been on have been two years."

 

"Wah wah wah wah wah." Josette says across the room, proving she'd been paying attention to both conversations. Harry and Dr. Stark snigger. "Our degrees are much more intensive."

 

The crops start coming in and Josette's busy in the fields, kitchens, and gardens, heading off to Eureka for her finals with the others but David, who's busy helping with the harvest since his classes are done. Everything's finally in at all the farms and Josette slumps into her seat at the dining hall.

 

"Done?" Alan asks.

 

"Yeah, until we start the dorm crops in a couple of weeks." The others nod.

 

"How are you on tortillas?"

 

"I gotta make some after Thanksgiving and we come back from the parents. I stopped and got cactus paddles a while back since I was running low. They're in stasis right now." Josette yawns and heads off to bed early after they get back to the dorm. After a solid night's sleep she's recovered and after Thanksgiving and the students graduation ceremony they head off to the other dimension. They return a few months later for them, Josette starting to move their belongings off Hanover. The next day she heads off to the Albatross Nest, pulling out a small container and making people either wince or cackle when she adds the olive paste to her sandwich.

 

"Did you take the order in to the vampire planet?" Sue asks.

 

"Tomorrow, everything's on the ship, I just need to head off. After the first of the year I gotta head to the manufacturing satellite to pick up the flour they've been working on for pasta."

 

"I heard rumors that you're interested in the eleventh planet?" Agatha asks.

 

"GD has me delivering supplies there next year. They have a lab set up to see how people can manage both an enclosed and a permanent winter environment."

 

"Like McMurdo on Earth." Somebody says.

 

"Yes, but without flights in and out. Once you're there, you're stuck until the test ends except for a medical emergency. Clark, CJ, and I set up the labs and I brought up supplies for a two year test. That ended last year, now they're talking about a lab by the equator, if the planet has a growing season it will be there." Nods from the others. "And another in the arctic, with the original between them. This test will be five years to see if we can live in an enclosed environment for a length of time without killing each other."

 

"People get on each other's nerves now, and we have a whole planet to spread out on when the weather's good. Gotta be more miserable there."

 

"Yeah, Dr. Stark was ready to beat some of them for being whiny brats by the end of the test."

 

"When does Tinya and her group finish university?"

 

"Next year, since it's a small group they've all got internships at GD, Wayne Industries, and Stark International."

 

"What grade is Jason in?

 

"Sophomore next year, with the others starting second grade."

 

"How are the teachers handling the offworld kids?"

 

"Good, they're keeping up well, if they look like they're having trouble they'll be tutored."

 

They settle down to talk about the kits for the upcoming year and what they're working on as personal projects, Josette flipping the bags to the dorm before joining the others at lunch. Afterwards she, David, Alexander, and Michael start working in the growing area of the dorm.

 

Josette flies off the next morning, delivering stuff to the vampire planet and accepting the payment before heading to the manufacturing satellite, picking up the flour and delivering part of it to the pasta factory before heading back to Haven. The payments are sent out and the rest of the flour delivered to the store before Josette heads back to the dorm.

 

"Is that everything?" Michael asks.

 

"Yeah, everything's delivered, I dropped the rest of the flour off at the store, the payments have been sent to the others, and I'll pick up the pasta around finals."

 

"What factory are you bringing out next year?"

 

"Detergents, dish and laundry. The plastic factory will be making the containers when we start operating." The others nod. "I'm looking into the PODS, that's a different type of factory."

 

"Does the first factory do dishwasher detergent too?"

 

"Should, and it also should handle the cleaners. If not the second factory should. I gotta check the tutorials we got from the other dimension. And I gotta check the forms to see if they got one for bristles before we start doing hairbrushes." The others nod. "Is everything finished until the greenhouse stuff is big enough to transplant?"

 

"Yeah." Josette stretches backward, her fingers brushing the floor before she straightens up. She looks out the sliding glass door, her eyes unfocused for a minute. "We'll have snow by dinner. And this time it'll stick."

 

"Had to expect it, and snow makes the Lights Festival more festive. I won't go as far as those whiny idiots on Earth who had to have a white Christmas though." Susan snorts.

 

"Those idiots needed a good swift kick." Josette murmurs. "Half the problem with Earth was people thought they were 'entitled'."

 

"Amen. And refused to take responsibility for their actions." David rolls his eyes. "'I'm a victim of my disease' was an excuse from everything from driving drunk and killing 20 people to being 200 pounds overweight."

 

After lunch Josette starts looking through the bags of kits, settling on one and starting to work. The rest of the year flies by and soon it's the lights festival.

 

"How many classes are you taking next semester?"

 

"32. I'll be three years into the naval academy and sosh school degree along with the musical instruments. Getting in extra classes over the break and next summer and I'll have the first two done early."

 

"What are you taking after you finish them?"

 

"The first of the more intensive degrees from the Naval Academy and a degree on Nixon and Watergate from the history school. Next year I'll also have at least one delivery of supplies for the eleventh planet labs and the first batch of timbers for the sailing ship."

 

"Real timber?" President Bartlett asks.

 

"Extruded plastic made to look like wood. It would take centuries for trees to get that big and we're making sure the old growth stays old growth." Nods from the others. "Especially with all the furniture you've been making."

 

"Amen, that's one reason why we plant two trees for every one that's harvested. And it's all second growth." Nods from the others in earshot. "Especially considering we have at least ten years more work. Probably fourteen when we start growing on the animal planet. And did you talk to the Vampire Council?" She asks Doc.

 

"Yes, they plan on putting up a building where they can sell fresh fruit and vegetables during the winter like our big building. We'll talk more at the meeting."

 

"What are you bringing out this year?" Principal Madison asks as he comes over, pulling Josette's hood up. Thomas nods thanks at him. "Yes, I know you don't feel the cold, wear it anyway. Because I said so." Everybody sniggers.

 

"Factory for laundry and dish detergent. One of at least two since the PODS need special machinery. Same thing can be used for the gelpacks for dishwashers. I'm also going to be looking through the extra molds to see what they're used for."

 

"Bristles."

 

"Yeah, that's what I'm looking for. That and making a list of what we have for the future. Or rather making a list of what each can be used for for the future."

 

The others nod.

 

"If it can be used for multiple things, all the better."

 

More nods.

 

The next week passes and it's the night before the new school year starts. They settle in the auditorium to talk about classes and the students who'd be leaving the school at the end of the year and over the next few years.

 

"Josette, how's the work on the library coming along?"

 

"We worked on expanding the building over the break, I'm going to be going through everything for a couple of weeks to make a list of what needs to be updated."

 

"Your office." Professor Druid says dryly from the stage. The twins cackle next to Josette. "I'd wondered how long it would take you to turn your attention there." Josette sighs.

 

"It's called being a mother. And the library is over seventy years old. It's in good shape, we make damn sure of that but. . ."

 

"It's wore out."

 

"What are your first plans?"

 

"Moving the bookcases out of a room so the walls can be scrubbed, the ceiling cleaned, and have the carpeting really cleaned then see if the cases need any work beyond a good cleaning themselves. If they do Alexander can work on them when he's not working at Hank's on the furniture."

 

"Will you need more cases?"

 

"Probably, but it won't be for a while, I gotta go through everything with Dad that needs to be done in the rooms before we start concentrating on that."

 

"Are the renovations to the textiles buildings finished Frances, Elaine?"

 

"Yes, and they're wonderful. Is Sanders planning on working on the fine arts buildings this year?" Frances looks at Josette.

 

"Yes, then working on the auditoriums the year after that."

 

"Josette, this is probably a dumb question but genealogy?"

 

"We've got a database set up, it's mostly for Haven births but we have limited information on the settlers that came up. Country of origin, stuff like that. This way in a few hundred years or so people can trace their ancestors back. Eureka has been involved in genealogy for decades and we've got the Mormon genealogy information in storage."

 

"Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it." somebody murmurs. Nods from the others. "That's why we have the class on what happened to the two Earths and why we're an agrarian society, why we have limited industry, and that we have laws for a reason."

 

"Because most of mankind never got beyond the 'me, me, me, it's all about me' mindset and made excuses for acting like spoiled little shits instead of growing up?" Josette murmurs. Everybody in earshot sniggers.

 

The next morning Josette splits off duplicates before breakfast to head off to her jobs and starting classes.

 

"Are you working on sheets?" David asks at breakfast.

 

Josette nods her head in dismay, making the others snigger.

 

"Do you have to head to Eureka for the computer work starting this year?" David asks.

 

"Yeah, one of the reasons I'm only taking four classes a semester. There's notes on the class lists about which ones include labs so before I come to them I gotta let GD know so they can set up the file to do the work in a lab, just like I'd be doing with teacher." The others nod.

 

"Library?"

 

"I'm there right now. I should have one room a week emptied, inspected, and cleaned. If they need work, it might take two."

 

After breakfast Josette heads back to the dorm, checking on the babies and going upstairs to her workroom. Patting her TARDIS she starts cutting out pieces for blocks, putting everything down when a beeping comes from her TARDIS. Inside she swears and splits off duplicates that head to the ships before she heads off.

 

"I didn't get you at a bad time, did I?"

 

"No, it's the first day of classes, things are beginning to ramp up, including busy moving the books and cases out of the library rooms so I can clean them." Josette moves over to the table where everybody's gathered, sniggering silently as she listens to the howls of anguish from the other room as the cities land.

 

"You brought the cities with you?" The Doctor asks as images start appearing in midair.

 

"Of course." Doc chuckles as he puts a hand on her shoulder.

 

A couple weeks later Doc and the Doctor are sipping drinks in an office while Josette's cackling as Rodney McKay is sent flying off one of the cities again.

 

"I'll give it a 7, good distance but your landing sucked." Josette bellows, her hands cupped around her mouth as everybody watching laughs.

 

"You have a doctorate?" Radek asks.

 

"I have thirteen, fourteen if you consider the medical degree that makes me a real doctor."

 

"How old are you?" John Sheppard asks.

 

"About 1200 spent out of time, I'll admit to being 92. I'd be older if we'd kept Earth's calendar after we moved."

 

"1,578." Josette says, sliding into her seat at the dining hall for lunch after she's returned to Haven, absorbing her other selves that had been on the cities.

 

"1,578 what?" David asks.

 

"Times Atlantis and the other cities booted Rodney McKay off their decks for being an annoying asshole when Doc sent me a 'Can you come here with the cities' message this morning. They counted, I didn't."

 

"No way." David says. Josette smirks. "Oh yeahhhh, pooooorrrr McKay. . he was totally outclassed when he tried to lord it over me because he's got three doctorates. I got called because we had to protect Atlantis while the government tore itself apart because they're greedy assholes. We ended up moving them to a new planet like they did in the show, this way the ships from Earth sent to take over the city couldn't find them. With Atlantis safe and everybody at SG sent to safe spots, the government fell and those who weren't shot for treason went to prison for the rest of their lives."

 

"Did you copy stuff?"

 

"Yeah, it will take me years to go through everything. Not as long as it will take them to recover but . . ." The others nod. "They nearly had another world war until the assholes in charge of the conspiracy was taken out."

 

"People are stupid."

 

"Amen. Anyway, Atlantis and the other sites are protected and declaring their independence, thumbing their nose at Earth. It might be rough for a couple of years but. . ."

 

"They're safe and free."

 

"No worse than before Atlantis got back in contact with Earth again. At least according to the tv show. Wraith, Genii, Ori, or Gou'ald?"

 

"Taken care of, they took each other out in a blaze of glory. The government came out of hiding and tried to take over like the big men on campus they wanted to be. Kavanaugh is as big an uptight asshole as he was on the show. He got sent back to Earth in disgrace as soon as they had contact by ship and he was found to be part of the conspiracy. He claims he was a double agent but nobody believes him and he was let go from the program in disgrace. He's jumped from job to job since civilian companies won't put up with his whiny ass 'I'm so much better than you' bullshit without the proof to back it up."

 

"How did McKay take you having at least 10 more doctorates than he did?"

 

"Honest to God, I swear he pouted. Especially when I showed him that our degrees are so much more intensive than theirs." The twins lean against each other cackling as David snorfles. "Of course he started complaining about them being in the soft sciences but agreed that an agrarian world might not need the harder sciences."

 

"How magnanimous of him." Abby snorts.

 

"Well he is the kindest, most giving man in the universe." Josette says. The others cackle again. "He is, he's so gentle that people would take advantage of him if the others didn't love him so. If he was Catholic the others would nominate him for Sainthood."

 

"If he does says so himself?" Lois snorts.

 

"And not because it would mean the annoying asshole's dead?" Lana chuckles.

 

"Exactly. Since we've been farming for decades I was able to help them get a huge one set up. They can harvest some by hand like we do the offworld harvests, the others the machines can handle."

 

"So is McKay allergic?"

 

"Yeah, and I used a fake rubber lemon like a crucifix in those cheesy vampire flicks on him when he got too annoying."

 

"Every time he was around you then?" Anna snorts.

 

"Pretty much. Once they realized it was rubber and the only way it would hurt him if I chucked it at his head fastball special or shot it at him with a cannon the others started laughing."

 

After lunch Josette starts working on her quilt again, setting up the sewing machine and starting to work. She absorbs the duplicates that had been out and about before joining the others downstairs, finding David and the twins telling the boys, Alan, and Susan what had been going on. Josette smirks and turns on the tv, sending a file to it that makes the others snigger as they see Josette holding a lemon on Rodney.

 

/Back off!/ Josette says on the screen /I've got a lemon and I'm not afraid to use it./ he walks off huffing and Josette smirks.

 

/Josette/ Doc had said in that 'I am so disappointed in you' voice everybody's familiar with. Josette had smirked and threw the lemon on the floor, it bouncing up into her hand before she tosses it to Colonel Sheppard.

 

/Rubber?/ He'd smirked and threw it back to Josette, she puts it in her bag.

 

/Yeah, I don't want to hurt the asshole, just annoy him./

 

Doc sighs as Colonel Sheppard laughs. Josette holds up a hand. /He didn't take no for an answer and he's heading for Salem./

 

/Damn it Rodney./ Colonel Sheppard hurries out to the pier. Josette sniggers and hops onto a railing, looking that way and silently counting off the seconds. She reaches fifteen when McKay comes flying through the air, landing with a giant splash.

 

/That's why I said no, the cities aaaallllll think you're annoying./ Josette calls.

 

/You've got that right./ Salem's AI appears on the pier. /I'd suggest you stay off unless you want to keep practicing your high dive./

 

"I don't know if McKay's just in love with himself, a closet masochist who likes be abused by older women, or just stupid but he didn't take Salem's advice." Josette says as they walk to the dining hall.

 

"Not when you say he was kicked off the cities over 1500 times." David snorts. After dinner Josette absorbs her other selves that had been working the second shift and works on her quilt for a couple more hours. The weeks fly by even with Josette heading to Eureka for the labs for her electrical engineering degree. Soon it's the first testing week and Josette slides into her usual seat at the pushed together tables after her tests.

 

"I cannot believe there is a world where not only is Stargate real, Rodney McKay hasn't managed to get himself killed pissing people off." Dr. Stark sighs when Josette sits down.

 

"Why not, you haven't." She snorts. "If only by Dr. Blake every time you get that look in your eyes." Drs. McNider and Cross chuckle. "So when's Dad bringing out the apartment complex for you?"

 

"After your Harvest Festival, that will be early spring for us. James will have most of the year to work on it before winter. By the time he's finished you should be nearly done with the vampire planet's orders." Josette nods.

 

"When do you plan on planting on the animal planet?"

 

"About four years Haven time, including this one. Two years of students will be finished with university and can start working the fields there. Once we decide on where the fields will be we can plan on where the apartment complex will be."

 

"You have another batch of students graduating this year?"

 

"Yep, 827 then a double batch graduating in two more years along with Jason, his brother, and sisters. Then it will be over a thousand every other year until everybody's finished school but the new babies."

 

"How many are we looking at?"

 

"About 1800 to 2600 every other year after this one. Three more graduations with the last big one when the kids are in eighth grade."

 

"How are you coming along on the library?"

 

"Good, the carpeting needed a bit of scrubbing but it was good for the most part. It's taking about three days for each room. Once I get everything back in I made plans for what we'll need for the future."

 

They talk about plans for that year and Josette heading off in a few weeks to harvest the offworld grapes for both types of wine, the detergent factories that are going to be coming up to the warehouse, and the students finishing their university classes the end of that year.

 

"I'd say that the dorm was going to be empty with only the youngest ten still living at home, David took care of that. . .now it's the youngest 17 living at home." Dr. McNider chuckles. "Have you figured out the teaching situation?"

 

"Yes, we've got a schoolroom set up at the dorm for when the babies are old enough. Once the kids are out of the education center, we're going to be shutting it down for some work." The three men nod.

 

"With the population growing so slowly it won't be needed as a day care for a few years."

 

Josette nods. "The other kids will be coming over for play dates so they don't grow up with just their siblings as playmates."

 

"Who's taking over their early education? Beyond the online classes which don't start until second grade?"

 

"Pat and Bethany, with everybody pitching in." The three men nod in satisfaction. The buzzer sounds and the others come over after using the bathroom.

 

"So you guys decided yet if you're going for another bachelors, a Masters, or taking a year off next year?" Josette asks Michael and Alexander when they slide into seats.

 

"Not yet, we'll make up our minds by the time it's time to sign up for next Spring's classes. Dr. Blake's already hinting that applying for a masters is just a formality." Dr. Stark chuckles as Josette sniggers.

 

"Josette, hot peppers?"

 

"Yes, I'm planting in a couple of months."

 

"If you have an extra space, GD would love for you to grow a pepper they've been working on for a couple of years."

 

"Not right now, but I can put up a temporary box so they don't cross pollinate." Dr. Stark nods and sends a message to that lab as Josette starts making mental plans. "They'll talk to you in a couple of months to go over the final details."

 

Josette nods as she picks up her fork. "Usual request, they get the plants to examine after I harvest?"

 

Dr. Stark nods. "They're looking at six plants, taking a quarter of the harvest since they don't have the space to store it fresh like you do."

 

After lunch Josette heads back to the dorm, absorbing some of her other selves and helping get the babies ready for dinner Afterwards she absorbs the others as they settle down in the living room after the kids are in bed to talk about their plans for the babies schooling and the plans for the education center work.

 

"The building has needed the work, we've been able to do work on the school while we were shut down but . .."

 

"Yeah, the building needs a good cleaning, possibly painting, and other stuff done. We don't stop to think how long it's been. Yeah, we're in our nineties and older but . . ." The others nod. "Until something happens nobody stops to think of the buildings or appliances." The others nod.

 

The next few weeks pass and after the second testing week Josette heads offplanet, putting together another raised bed for the new peppers then heading off to harvest the offworld grapes, putting the new wine in barrels and bottling the oldest wine.

 

"Get everything done?" David asks her a few days later.

 

"Yeah, the oldest of the wine is bottled and I took some out to the others. The corn mash that has been aging will be decanted later this year for bourbon and whiskey since I had enough for two batches. The grapes for the ice wine should be harvested by our third testing week and I'll bottle the oldest that's been in the barrels then.

 

"Josette, why do you age some but the first planet grapes you bottle right away?"

 

"Some wines are better right away while others are best aged after a few years." Josette shrugs. "That's one of the reasons I only grow limited harvests there." The others nod.

 

"Did you put together a growing area for GD's experiment?"

 

"Yeah, it's smaller than the other one but I can add to it if I want to or even add it to the other one. I'll plant everything after our third testing week, get everything in before we start planting here."

 

"How long before the first offworld harvests."

 

"First one just before the second semester starts, then one a week until then. It's going to be assholes to elbows this summer."

 

"Can't be helped. Next year we harvest twice?"

 

"Year after, next year first harvests will be coming in after our third testing week. First one I might have to put the drying tables on the first planet, year after that it will be the middle of winter when they start coming in."

 

After the third testing week Josette heads back to the first planet, planting the peppers, tomatoes, and herbs that had been growing in growing areas until they could go outside. Harvesting the ice wine grapes, Josette takes care of them and bottles the oldest wine, sending out the message and delivering cases around the planet and to Archimedes when the orders start coming in.

 

"Is that the wine until this summer?"

 

"Yeah." Josette stretches and yawns as she shuts her first floor window that had been open a few minutes for fresh air. "I should be able to spread manure on the garden and fields next week and till it in the week after that."

 

David nods as they walk outside to the dining hall, enjoying the fresh air. "We should be able to leave the windows open for a few hours then too. It will be the sign that spring's really here." The others nod.

 

The next week Josette checks the spreader and starts going over the fields and garden, coming back to the dorm the third day after she started working in the fields.

 

"Got everything done?" David asks.

 

"Yeah, the factory up?"

 

"Yeah, we're working on the storage area now. Now, the orders from the glass and towel factories?"

 

"They'll both be done by the Harvest Festival. They're going to start working on the order for the sorting planet after that. By the time they're done with that they can start on Archimedes, by then we should have an order from the animal planet."

 

"Perfect. And by the time that's done, we should be putting in an order." Josette nods. "They're already making extra for us."

 

"Good. Have you been looking through the plastic molds?"

 

"Yeah, I've been putting pictures of them and what they make on the server. We'll set up a tesseracted building for storage for them. Down here since we'll probably be the ones deciding what they'll be making." David nods.

 

"Animal food?"

 

"In a couple of years after we've looked at the so-called good brands in the other dimension and talked to the vets if they need anything special. Birthday party?"

 

"Next week. Mom and Ma are making the cakes though I think the babies aren't going to be too interested in the party itself." David sniggers and nods. "The others will enjoy the party though."

 

"Is Dr. Stark and Blake coming out this summer to talk to Tinya and her posse about their internships at GD, Wayne, and Stark?"

 

"Yes, along with Bruce and Mr. Stark. Grandpa Nathan and Grammy Allie are also talking to us since Alexander and Michael are finishing their degrees this year, Alan's six semesters in for his, and the twins will be finishing their Ph.Ds next year."

 

"When do the twins present their dissertation?"

 

"Just before the Harvest Festival. Susan should be presenting her thesis in a couple of years when she's a semester from finishing hers. I'll probably be presenting mine around the same time. You might even have your big girl pants on and started a Masters of your own." Josette blows him a raspberry before they get the kids ready for lunch.

 

"So what classes are you taking over the break?" Anna asks.

 

"I wanna start a degree from the history school and maybe work on one of the comic book degrees I'm halfway through. One's the second degree in a two degree curriculum, the other's the first of two."

 

"Musical instruments degree?"

 

"I lack three semesters with this one, Depending on how fast I get the summer classes in whether I pick up more than just the four degrees I'm taking on the school computer, the chemistry classes, and the cooking classes."

 

"I don't think anybody will be upset with you only taking 20 classes this semester, not with the cooking degree being so hands-on, the buttonmaking degree being hands-on, and the chem labs. Plus the crops."

 

"Yeah, I can pick up a full load this fall after everything's in." Abby's lips start twitching. Josette rolls her eyes. "Yeah I know, most people wouldn't get 20 classes in in a year, let alone a semester. Over at least six degrees." The others snicker. "Are you finishing any classes this year?"

 

"No, not until next year for the Dust Bowl and WW2 wrecks degrees, along with the musical instruments degree. The other two I'll get in the year after that along with the buttonmaking degree and possibly the chemistry degree."

 

"Cooking degree?"

 

"No, I'd still lack three classes. And with them all hands-on, I wouldn't be able to get them in over a break. But I can just go on to another cooking degree, the teachers have already been talking to me about them."

 

The others snigger.

 

The next week Josette starts tilling the manure into the ground, getting everything ready for planting. By the time of their finals everything's planted and Josette slides into her seat after her finals.

 

"First offworld harvest?" Dr. Cross asks.

 

"Week after next, then probably every week until the Harvest Festival. It's going to be a bitch when our crops start coming in but can't be helped."

 

"Do you have enough people to harvest offplanet, take care of the harvest, and work in the communal gardens?"

 

"Yes, it will be tight but with different shifts. . ." The three men nod.

 

"Pasta?"

 

"Picking it up tomorrow when I head off to deliver furniture to the vampire planet."

 

"The candy factory order?"

 

"Will be ready around the Harvest Festival when I'm taking in wheat for flour."

 

"How is the offworld orders going for the vampire planet apartment complex?"

 

"They'll be done with the towels and canning supplies by the Harvest Festival. They're starting the order for the sorting planet after that, by the time that's done, the apartment complex will be up here and we should be growing on the animal planet and have an apartment complex up there too. Once that order is finished they can go back to normal. . . Or what passes for normal anymore."

 

"They should be done with the animal planet order by the time you're finishing our order and a year before the school shuts down."

 

"Yeah, we'll be a year into the animal planet order when the school closes. Ten more years. . ." Josette sighs.

 

"Are the orphanage personnel still keeping in touch with the students once they leave?"

 

"Oh yes, talking, hugging, monthly lunches or dinners. We want the students and the personnel to have good relations. Most of them are the only family they had." Nods of satisfaction from the three doctors as the buzzer sounds and the others start coming over.

 

"Are you heading off tomorrow to pick up the pasta?" Alan asks.

 

"Yeah, I'm delivering the furniture too and checking on the first planet plants." Josette thanks Vincent when he puts a plate and bottle of pop in front of her.

 

After lunch Josette heads back to the dorm, absorbing some of her other selves before they walk to the dining hall. The next morning she heads off, picking up the pasta on the sorting planet and delivering the furniture to the vampire planet before heading to the first planet.

 

She returns several weeks later for her but an hour later for Haven, sending the payment to Hank's building. He nods when he gets the message, updating the list of what they still have to make.

 

"Are you going to take the whole four years?" David asks at lunch.

 

"Probably not, we should fingers, toes, and eyes crossed be finished by the Harvest Festival next year. That will give us a few months break before we start the sorting planet's orders. Even with the larger orders."

 

"You don't have people waiting for the apartments." Lois says.

 

"Exactly, and we have a lot of practice at churning out good quality furniture that will last for years."

 

After lunch Josette heads upstairs, the others coming back from Eureka a couple of hours before dinner.

 

"Josette, what is that?" Alan asks, coming into her first floor room and finding a couple new additions in a new area.

 

"Old fashioned cookstove. baking ovens, and fireplace hearth complete with a hook to cook over a fire and a turning spit, there's one down on the basement and the ranch. There's one in the kitchen huts on the first planet and the island."

 

"The Lords and Ladies?"

 

"Yep."

 

"Wood burning?"

 

Josette makes a yes, no, maybe hand waggle. "You can use the fake wood, the ones here and the ranch are also hooked to the power system somehow, just select the source." Josette pulls open a cover on the side of the stove and next to the hearth, showing dials and switches.

 

"Nice."

 

"Yeah, we can fix it and forget it, keep it cooking low and slow for hours." Josette strips the twin bed, putting on the new sheets and blankets, then 'flips' the towels and bedding into the cart in the basement. She looks around the room in satisfaction, couches and easy chairs had joined the original recliner over the years.

 

"Am I nuts or is it turning cool. . .cooler than normal for early spring?" Susan calls down the hall.

 

"Yes, there's a nip in the air. The domes are set to pop up if it drops too cold."

 

"Not the first time it's turned cool after we planted. Won't be the last time, it's still only a few weeks from winter after all."

 

Josette nods as she pulls on a jacket before they walk to the dining hall. Nobody's surprised when the furnace is running the next morning and a light dusting of snow is on the ground when they walk to the dining hall for breakfast.

 

"So what are you starting over break?"

 

"Third year for the Flash comic book degree and starting a degree on youth literature-female from Cambridge."

 

"Aren't you already taking a girls fiction degree from the sosh school?"

 

"Different countries, different books, different degree. The US might have taken over the world with comic books but most countries have their own literature besides ours." On the front screen Principal Madison's repeating what Josette says, Professor Fletcher nodding vigorously. So are Frances and Elaine. "Not just literature, there's also textiles books and magazines that are different."

 

This time Josette's the one nodding. "Whenever I went to other countries with Doc and Pat, I always checked bookstores. It was cost-effective for Pat to order magazines from other countries since she was dealing with the publishers or middlemen, I usually checked out her library at the spa whenever I had the time. Sometimes the magazines also put collections out on DVD."

 

"And we all know there's different textbooks, even in the same country." Everybody nods.

 

"Josette, first delivery for the eleventh planet?" President Bartlett asks from the front room.

 

"I'm heading tomorrow to pick it up, I should have at least one more delivery this year. Maybe more if it's supplies for the existing lab."

 

"Are they enlarging the original lab?"

 

"Don't think so, that was part of the first test after all. First floor was labs, second floor storage and third floor was living quarters." Josette sends off a message to Eureka. She gets a message back before the end of the meal. "Nope, I was wrong. They are planning on enlarging the original lab."

 

"Can they?"

 

"Oh yes, it's all pre-fab and meant to be added onto." She sends that news to Clark and CJ.

 

"Just like our buildings?"

 

"Yep."

 

A few days later Josette starts her first class for her new degree from Cambridge, looking up as David comes into her workroom and they both disappear.

 

"That does not get any easier." David says when they reappear a few seconds later.

 

"Amen." Josette grumbles.

 

"Awwww, did you not like having to stay in bed to recover from pneumonia. . .again? Doc and Thomas told us how they had to hogtie you to the bed to get you to rest long enough to get better." David purrs.

 

"Hell. No." David cackles and heads downstairs with Josette a step behind him. /Though the idea of Drs. Cross and McNider as super-heroes was kinda . . .fitting./

 

/Damn it, keep the evil imp in your own head./David rolls his eyes as he sees Dr. Stark dressed up as a superhero./

 

/Snark Man? Can't see it./ Josette sends him a image of Dr. Stark as Underdog. /Here I come to save the day!/

 

/Hong Kong Phooey?/

 

/Nah, that'd be Larry. With Fargo as the cat./

 

David cackles as they join the others walking to the dining hall for lunch. After lunch Josette checks the crops and flies off to Macchu Picchu. The ship had appeared a week or so after they'd been snatched and had been busy copying things. They lift off to check on the first planet crops, talking for days about what she'd been copying as they head to the sorting planet to pick up pasta then heading back to Haven, delivering the pasta to the store before heading back to the dorm.

 

"Get everything done?"

 

"Yeah, Josette sends pictures of how the new plants are coming along to GD for the botanists. "I checked on the other crops and picked up the pasta, spent hours talking with Macchu Picchu about what we copied while we were gone."

 

"Not again." Alan sighs.

 

"I'm the fish on the line in the universe's game of catch and release." Josette says, rolling her eyes. The others snigger.

 

"Are you picking green and ripe peppers for GD?"

 

"Yeah, just like I do the other plants. A portion of the green pepper harvest and a portion of the ripe harvest."

 

The next day Josette heads offplanet again, taking a group of people offplanet for the first of the offworld harvests.

 

The next few months pass quickly, the first crops coming in along with the offworld harvests and some of the crops from the first planet. One night Josette slumps into her seat at the dinner table.

 

"Yearly crops in? And the new pepper from GD?"

 

"Yep, the peppers and plants are at GD, they're already working on them. The rest are in stasis or drying, along with what I didn't sell of the other plants. The dirt's mixed in the compost pile to be reused and I used the plastic frame to enlarge the planting beds. Everything's in now except for the remaining offworld harvests until our second planting ripen."

 

Anna puts a plate in front of Josette, who begins to eat.

 

"How are you on your classes?"

 

"Good, I've got the chem labs and electrical engineering ones in. I can pick up the others whenever I have the time. Either over the break or next semester I'll pick up another semester for the musical instruments degree."

 

"Are you going to be three years into the chem degree?"

 

"Three classes into my third year by the end of the year, next semester I'll be three full years into the dust bowl and WWII wrecks degrees. Like the cooking degree I'll be finishing it first semester instead of the end of the year but Dr. Blake's already told me that the Masters is just a formality. Just sign up for it when I finish the bachelors. She looks at the boys. "Did you figure out what you're doing?"

 

"Yeah, we're signing up for one of the masters from the comic book school when we finish our degrees next semester. Dr. Blake . . .nudged us."

 

"Ohhh kinky." Alan drawls, getting swatted by Abby.

 

Josette shakes her head suddenly. "No, didn't need to remember those people, thank you very much."

 

"More idiots suing to turn Haven into what they wanted?" Susan asks.

 

"Yeah, this batch wanted to outlaw clothing since it made people conform to a certain image, people should be able to live free without the false identity pushed upon them by other people's clothing norms."

 

David snorts. "Yeah, that would have worked well on a farm. . .until they stepped into their first cow patty."

 

"Babe, I love you but I do not want to look at your junk that much." Anna snorts. On the front screen Principal Madison moans, covering his eyes as he tells the others what they're talking about.

 

"Just when you think people couldn't get more stupid." Professor Druid sighs.

 

"I can't believe the justice system even let the case go that far." Professor Fletcher sighs.

 

"I can.' President Bartlett says. "Lady Justice is blind and people were allowed to file lawsuits, no matter how stupid they were."

 

"I can just imagine somebody cooking in the nude." Mrs. Bartlett says.

 

"Ohhh, we'd have to get rid of those stupid health rules too. Freedom! Down to the capitalist pigs. Freedom!" Josette says in a fake activist voice.

 

"Clothing is for your protection." David says in a fake 'I know better than you do' voice.

 

"You're just saying that to make money. Freedom!"

 

"They'd have been dead within a year."

 

"Yep." Josette says. "If they hadn't died of exposure or accidents they'd have killed each other having to look at each other naked all the time."

 

"Yep, because it's not supermodels that would be walking around naked."

 

"Damn it, keep the fucking imp in your own head. I don't need to see some stupid woman coming around pointing out everybody's flaws or chirping about getting everybody in shape. 'Cause naked jumping jacks and those women you see on Maury. . .?" Michael shudders.

 

"Nope." Josette shakes her head. "Okay, now that my brain is functioning again, how's your dissertations coming?"

 

"Uploaded to the server later this week so they can be looked at by Drs. Stark and Blake over the next couple of weeks. It's just a formality." Josette nods.

 

The next couple of months pass and Josette gets in her remaining classes when she's not offworld bringing in the other harvests. She nods at everybody in the crowded living room, Drs. Cross and McNider talking with their other selves from the other dimension.

 

"Is that everything now?"

 

"Yep, the last of the offworld harvests and our crops. The new ones are planted for this fall and I started another degree from the sosh school, this one another villains as the main character lit degree."

 

"Did you pick up the orders from the towel and glass factory?"

 

"Yep, and delivered it with the furniture. They're off for a couple of years until we start the sorting planet order. By then the students who graduated a couple years ago should be finishing their university degrees and possibly moving offplanet."

 

"And after that will be our apartment complex. James is bringing it out after the Festival, we'll be able to get the exterior work finished before winter."

 

"Are we still planning one for the animal planet?"

 

"Yes, we start growing in a couple of years. We're looking at the growing areas right now and planning the crops."

 

"Do you see commercial growing on the fourth planet?"

 

"Probably. They've got Wayne Industries, Stark International, the council, Cambridge, and Oxford after all. None of them can grow their own food like the scattered farms and ranches do. Yeah, Cambridge and Oxford have growing areas but nothing on the commercial farm scale."

 

"We'd need at least four buildings there."

 

Dr. Stark nods. "Cambridge, Oxford, the council settlement, and one by Wayne and Stark. And we might want to think of expanding the growing areas in the future since they only have the one harvest."

 

Josette nods. "They'd be the ones coming for the offworld fresh fruits and veggies over the winter. And we'd have to expand the buildings for heat."

 

Dr. Stark nods. "You can move to the big building over the winter months, we've got a space too. They'd need something more than the flea market building. Alan Eppes has been working on a year-round market that can be added onto as needed. The good part is that it would have heat from the start but the downside is that it couldn't be brought out and worked on, they'd have to be built."

 

"But it would take at least that long until we started harvesting enough to have stuff for sale." Josette looks at David. "And we might start thinking of enlarging the commercial fields or starting second ones." David nods slowly, making a note of that on his PADD.

 

"How many harvests do you have?"

 

"Three, we harvested our second crops over the last couple weeks and we planted our third." Josette says. "Eureka's planet has four but they just started commercially growing when the students who finished university started planting commercially there and the seventh planet a couple years ago, otherwise it was home gardens on Archimedes and communal gardens for the people working on the seventh planet where most of our industry is located. They have three harvests with a few extra weeks. The fifth planet is our animal planet, two growing cycles with a few extra weeks. The fourth planet is the most like Earth, three extra hours a day, an extra day a week, and a couple extra weeks a year. They only have one growing season."

 

"The third planet?"

 

"A shorter day, week, and year. They have a growing season but nobody lives there permanently, it's mostly used as our vacation planet, we have all the world monuments and other stuff we saved when we thought it was only an ice age our Earth was facing. Everything we saved we could bring back to Earth." The others nod. "Then the solar flare took out all the electronics on Earth and killed everybody left and Earth was stuck as a permanent winter world."

 

"Do you have any information on Earth?"

 

"Years of recordings, some from before we left the planet." Dr. Stark says. "Josette, are you heading off dimension after your third semester?"

 

"Yeah, visiting these guys again." The two superheroes and her father and grandfather nod, "Mom's dimension, our family in the other, other dimension, and checking the probes from Clark and Thomas' dimension, then dl'ing the probes around Earth."

 

"31 children?" Clark sighs when everybody finally settles down in the back room.

 

"These are just our youngest that still live at home. Tinya and her age group will be finishing their university degrees this fall and moving to the fourth planet or Eureka for their internships. We have 103 children all together. Our eldest died. . .God has it been eighteen years already?" Michael sighs.

 

"Good Lord." Dr. Cross puts down his fork. "How many?"

 

"Ten sets of twins, eleven sets of triplets, five sets of quadruplets, a set of quintuplets, and the rest single births. The Covingtons have a genetic quirk that causes sets of multiples to pop up every so often. The girls and Alan have seven younger brothers and sisters, including another set of identical twin girls." David snorts. "I have six younger brothers and sisters. All but the two oldest of the other Covington children were born after we moved to Haven."

 

"Gestation chambers?" Charles asks. David nods. "The solar flares sterilized most of Earth before the end, those that came up just before the end and the students who were enrolled at the time we lost Earth as well as those in same sex partnerships or can't have children because of age or other problems use them. Including a handful of single parents here on Haven."

 

Josette gets up and fills her tray again, getting a smile from the kitchen workers.

 

"How long have you been on Haven?"

 

"Over 50 years, Josette had just turned 38 a couple weeks before we moved the school up from Earth."

 

Josette nods. "My birthday was the ninth of August and we moved the night before Labor Day, that way all the new students were settled at the school and they had a day off to just stand outside and look up at the clear sky and two suns before school started. The time difference made for a short semester before Christmas, then the semesters settled so we came down next for the seniors graduation and the new students. When we lost Earth and we shut down the school after the students graduated we changed the school years around so they started the first of the year and not in the fall. When we don't have students we shut down the school until the next batch are old enough."

 

"That only makes sense. How long are you going to be open this year?"

 

"Another ten years, that will have the last of the students graduated including our youngest but the babies. That will be 21 years this time. Longest we've been open at one shot since we lost Earth."

 

"How long had it been since the rockets exploded and you moved?"

 

"Ten years. We'd been expanding the dorm and making plans since all the precogs were seeing something happening." Dr. Stark nods, taking over telling of their plans to move.

 

"Are you only settled on these five planets?" Clark asks.

 

"Yes. Josette's taken over the first planet, she grows some crops there and uses it for a vacation spot, Clark's got a lab on the second planet, and we put up a lab on the eleventh planet to see if people could live on a winter planet full-time. We had a two year test and now have plans to put up two more labs for a five year test."

 

"Your years or theirs?"

 

"Ours, that's something else to get used to in a future test. The longer years and the permanent winter. We'll have another shipment for you to deliver by your first testing week." Josette nods.

 

"How long are your years?"

 

"Our day is 36 hours, our weeks are nine days, there's five weeks in a month and fourteen months in a year. Archimedes day is 48 hours. . ." The visitors shudder. "Everybody schedules their day how they want. Shifts at GD are on eight, off at least eight, then on another eight and off. If only because some of the scientists would never have come out of their labs if they weren't forced to." Dr. Cross looks at Dr. McNider and chuckles. David smirks.

 

"When GD came up, Grandpa Nathan gave Taggart a trank gun and told him to sedate anybody who he thought had been working too many hours. He got him twice." Dr. McNider leans on his arms and laughs. "Oh god, I can see that happening in Eureka."

 

"You'd have been the first one darted." Dr. Cross snorts.

 

"Probably."

 

"Our weeks are ten days, with six weeks in a month and fifteen months in a year." The visitors shake their heads.

 

The others start arriving over the next few days for the party and the Harvest Festival, the four from the other dimension watching in amazement as the apartment complex appears on Archimedes.

 

"That's. . ."

 

"Quite handy." Dr. Stark nods. "We've still got a bit of work to do to the exterior, moving everything off propane or natural gas at the source then each apartment during the interior work as well as adding battery packs, adding solar panels to the roofs and an alternative energy source. The furnace for each building will be locked to 66 degrees, a thermostat in each apartment would run down the solar panels too quickly. Thankfully we're past the storms from the second sun's orbit altering." The visitors perk up. "Yes, we can give you that information as well. It caused some bad winters when our orbits crossed."

 

"Communal gardens? I saw the apartments on Haven had them."

 

"Yes, one will go in when we have people moving into the apartments. The others have the rest of this year and next before they finish furnishing the new apartment complex Stark International and Wayne Industries had put up on the fourth planet. Then they're going to be starting on an identical order for the sorting planet. Then ours and finally the animal planet once they figure out where they want to plant."

 

"Is this the building you were talking about for selling fruits and vegetables?" Charles gestures at a building identical to one they'd seen in Town.

 

"Yes, it's actually the flea market building from Killingmesoftly, the town near the school back on Earth. It's two stories and the solar panels handle the checkout, kitchen, and bathrooms in the basement. But there's no heat and no easy way to add it without extensive remodeling."

 

"You'd be better off building new." Doc says. Dr. Stark nods. "Taking it apart carefully and salvaging everything to be reused elsewhere. Right now we and Town can switch everything to a different building for the winter."

 

"Sooo, adding onto the commercial crops." David says at the government meeting after all their guests have headed home.

 

"It has been over 50 years. And we've had plans for a while."

 

"Yes, and with the students leaving school over the next ten to twelve years we'll need them." Principal Madison says. "Hard to believe it's been that long since we moved from Earth."

 

The others nodded. "We'd had plans for people to settle on their own land and grow their own crops like the vampire planet but things have changed. Now, expanding your fields, planting elsewhere on your continent, or planting elsewhere?"

 

"There's yays and nays for each plan. . ." Josette puts the first file on the screen. "Adding onto the fields. . ."

 

"Ted, Michael,, I have a ton of files for you." Dr. McNider hands the men the hard drive. "From an Earth that is in an ice age, from an Earth that had an asteroid take out their moon, a piece of debris tore away the atmosphere, and from a binary sun system. The second sun has been shifting it's orbit, when the planets orbits intersected theirs they had some wicked storms."

 

"Planets?" Ted Knight as as he scans the hard drive for viruses then sends the files to the Society server.

 

"Five inhabited by people who came out from the first Earth because they knew the planet was sliding towards an ice age. Also by people from the second Earth that had come over over the years. They weren't expecting to go back to Earth for supplies and to deliver products they'd ordered to find it destroyed."

 

"Damn." Michael looks at the overview for the files, sending a copy of them to his computer system. "Both white suns?"

 

"Yes, the planets were terraformed to be inhabitable. They're each about two to three times the size of Earth. Sixteen planets total, there's buildings on four more planets but nobody lives there permanently."

 

Ted whistles. "Is there more current data?"

 

"There will be, Josette was going to dl information from the probes in a few months. There's also general information on the planets, we've been offered a nice spot when we have to leave."

 

Michael blinks.

 

"Eureka's there?"

 

"Yes, they're able to move whole communities. Eureka came first to the eighth planet, then Josette and David's school to the sixth planet with the community growing around it. Other buildings and communities came up over the years and they bring out buildings as needed. That's on there too. As is the switching stations that move you between the planets. We also traveled on one of Josette's ships."

 

"As in more than one?" Ted Grant asks.

 

"Thirteen in total. Including one that is Atlantis. Josette said that there's legends of the sunken continent of Atlantis in every dimension she's been drawn to, the comics she's seen have them like ours either turned into fishmen or living underwater in an undersea cavern with their own atmosphere."

 

"Did you see their gardens?"

 

"Yes, it had just been planted when we arrived for their third growing season of the year but it's easily ten well planned, well placed acres. They rotate the crops every cycle so the ground doesn't lose nutrients. After their last growing season they till the plants under or add compost to the soil and manure in the spring."

 

"Why so large?" Rick asks. "Third growing season?" Michael asks.

 

"To answer Rick's question they have 31 children still living at home though the older fourteen are graduating from university in a few months and moving away for their internships at Wayne Industries, Stark International, and Eureka."

 

"Stark International? Like the Iron Man movies?" Ted Knight asks. Then "31 children?"

 

"Yes, David says the Covingtons, Mom's family?" the others nod, remembering the pair talking about two women called Mom and another called Ma. "Have a genetic quirk that causes multiples to pop up in the family. The kids just have more than usual since they get pregnant more often. They've had ten sets of twins, eleven sets of triplets, five sets of quadruplets, a set of quintuplets, and the rest single births. All four of them tend to get pregnant at the same time. The 31 still living at home are the youngest."

 

"That's at least 88 children."

 

"They have 103 all total, the oldest was killed in a traffic accident 18 years ago. She was also the only one to have given them grandchildren with her family group."

 

"And Haven is the sixth planet in the system Michael, their days are 36 hours, they have a nine day week, five weeks in a month, and fourteen months in a year. They have three harvests in a good year, though a couple years they've had domes to protect the crops during an early winter until they could be harvested. And one year they only harvested twice since they got a late start thanks to a storm that came through when they'd have been planting. That's on the material you've got."

 

"That's got to be a bit of work." Ted Knight shakes his head. "Communal gardens?"

 

"For the apartment complexes and some of the houses. They also have smaller individual plots and larger gardens, your spot and growing period is chosen by lottery. Some of the businesses also have communal gardens, a couple pizza parlors, a communal kitchen and bakery, and a building that opened a couple years ago that split off the kitchen that makes sandwiches. They have their own garden but they share with the kitchen and bakery. They also have offworld harvests during the year so they have fresh fruit and vegetables over the winter. The one year they only had two harvests they ran out."

 

"The communal garden for the basics and the individual plots for what you want." Rick says, the others nod. "The smaller plots by the apartments are meant for one person, the others outside of town are a half-acre and meant for families, the land was developed as a step towards people buying their own land and settling on it. The fourth planet is scattered farms or other homes brought up from Earth, Wayne Industries, Stark International, Cambridge, Oxford, and three small settlements. Haven and Archimedes, which is where Eureka settled are communities along with a handful of individuals who have settled on their own land. Either bringing up their homes or building new."

 

"People aren't used to being self-sufficient. Probably one of the reasons they settled in communities." Alan says. "That and there's jobs and recreation." Everybody ends up getting copies of the information, each focusing on different aspects of life on Haven or the other planets.

 

"Oh Ted." Pieter hands him a small bag. "Samples of a new super hot pepper that GD had been working on. Josette's got a growing area on the first planet where she grows plants that thrive in hot environments, making hot peppers even hotter."

 

"Damn," Ted Grant opens the bag and sniffs, pushing it away and covering his mouth as he sneezes. "Those are strong."

 

"GD said the original were 2 1/2 million on the Scoville scale, the ones grown on the first planet went off the charts."

 

"I can understand drying them, that's the only way you'd be able to use them without taking your head right off. Is this all of them?"

 

"No I have some to experiment on and so does Clark. I also have some information from a scientist who uses the other peppers in herbal cures."

 

"Education?"

 

"Three twenty week semesters that start at the beginning of the year instead of the fall. They took in thousands of orphans from the second Earth that the government was basically warehousing since they didn't have enough good foster homes for them. The first thousand or so students have graduated high school and finished their first university degree, they're busy either doing internships with GD, Wayne Industries, or Stark International, or starting to grow commercially on the sorting planet and Archimedes."

 

"Sorting planet?"

 

"The seventh planet where most of their light industry is located, they call it the sorting planet because before they left Earth that's where shipments of metals and minerals they were harvesting from the asteroid belt was brought to be sorted and the initial step of making them ready for manufacturing was taken. Their recycling was also sorted there to be sold to Earth. When the first Earth was lost they started bringing out factories and some of the students who were at the school moved there for jobs. At that time Haven wasn't big enough to absorb 40000 new settlers, for all that they'd already been living there. When they agreed to take in the first batch of orphans and their support personnel, including teachers they brought out more factories so they'd have jobs when they left school."

 

"They were going to stay on Haven?" Michael asks.

 

"It was supposedly the first step in colonizing the stars but it was basically, 'you're orphans, nobody's going to care if you leave'." Pieter says, shaking his head. "Josette says she and the Clark from that dimension had been given the job of searching out other worlds for them to colonize and the job of moving supplies to the moon for a military/scientific research base that was the first step in moving off Earth. It was only a couple months after the plans for the moonbase before the asteroid hit."

 

"Damn, you hear about the asteroid near misses on the news." Courtney says, coming into the main room and putting up her school bag. "There, done until fall."

 

"Grades?" Charles says.

 

"Officially in a week but unless I bombed my finals I'm still going to be making the Dean's list."

 

"Good." Pieter says in satisfaction. They settle around the room in various places, each taking part of the information to work through. Michael whistles when he sees the apartment complex going up, putting that file on the main screen.

 

"That is damn handy, is that how they were able to move whole communities?"

 

"A slightly different process. They call that bringing stuff out of limbo. Restaurants are cleaned and everything, bringing up communities was going to bed on one planet and waking up on another. Nothing was touched, and it existed on the other planet. Clark had moved his headquarters there since he and Thomas were at the point of having to come up with new identities since they weren't aging. Clark was already a fourth and Thomas was a junior. They moved to Haven to be closer to the family there and allow sufficient time to pass before they started their new lives. When their Earth was gone they ended up enlarging the buildings on Haven with the buildings from Earth."

 

"So if we wanted to come back we'd have a place to come back to?"

 

Charles nods. "Just put up protections on the buildings that stay behind so they're not bothered and Josette can pick up supplies or mail every couple of months if it's put somewhere. We'd have internet so we could keep up current events here. Because I'm afraid this world's going to hell in a handbasket."

 

"Do we have plans for leaving?"

 

"Yes, I have another hard drive." Charles says. "With information on what we'd probably want to bring up with us and plans on a settlement. There's plenty of continents that haven't been touched on the five planets with permanent inhabitants, the third planet has a slightly shorter day than Earth, we could move there if we wanted."

 

"Sixteen planets?"

 

"Yes, beyond the tenth planet it's permanent winter planets. GD has a testing lab on the eleventh planet to see if mankind could live on a winter planet with the thought of eventually moving back to Earth if they ever come out of the ice age."

 

"From what I've seen that might not be possible." Ted Knight says. "The rockets put a lot of stuff in the atmosphere."

 

"That's the feeling at GD, if they ever do it will be millennia." The information on the second hard drive is transferred to the server and they start to make plans. Because the government was severely fucked even before they'd elected Lex Luthor as President.

 

"Shouldn't you be sleeping?" Thomas asks, finding Josette working on one of the lower floors of Headquarters a couple weeks into the new semester. "It's nearly two in the morning."

 

"Fuck no." Josette shudders. "I dreamt that I'd been kidnapped to Hogwarts."

 

"How long did it take you to pull it down around their ears?" Clark asks chuckling.

 

"Six weeks. Dumbfuck couldn't understand why I wouldn't do what he wanted, it was for the greater good after all. The teachers were about ready to lynch him after the first week when I refused to do anything in class but read a newspaper and flip them the bird, with two fingers since I was in Great Britain and they might not understand the single finger salute. For some reason walking snowmen invaded the Great Hall for their snowball fight. All the furniture in the classrooms ended up on the ceiling, a different classroom every day. A couple of times class was in session while it happened. I blew up the potions lab twice making stink bombs and other stuff in the middle of the night. . ." CJ's cackling in the corner of the room.

 

"The toilets started playing how dry I am whenever somebody sat down. Whoopie cushions in the teachers seats. I scared off Peeves, had the suits of armor smacking the teachers across the ass with their swords when they walked past. That little twerp Malfoy tried something with me and I handed him his ass ten times a day for a solid month, kept threatening me with his Daddy but since his Daddy got killed by hit wizards that took out the dork lord his mouth was cashing checks his ass couldn't handle. Doubledumbfuck was stunned I wouldn't accept the new husband he'd chosen for me. . . After all I should be honored at being brought to Pigfarts to bear magical babies since they weren't. . . I was muggle born but they'd 'overlook' that part since I had more than enough magic for their needs, Dumb fuckers. Hermione was horrified that I was ignoring the teacher's instructions, they know best after all."

 

Rude snorts from the three men.

 

"Yeah, that was my thought. Little twit, you'd think just from History of Magic she'd know better. They hated the idea of me not using a wand so they couldn't control me that way. They tried an unforgivable and I punched them in the face and walked away laughing. I should forget my old life, I was part of the wizarding world now. Yeah, right. Ugly old bastard who 'married' me tried touching me and I blew his tiny inbred dick off with a .357 magnum, he stood there with a stunned stupid look on his face before he fell to the floor and bled out."

 

"Good." Thomas and Clark say firmly.

 

"I was dressed up like Elmer Fudd and hunting Dumbledork when I woke up."

 

"Be vewy, vewy quiet, I'm hunting wizards eh heh heh heh heh." CJ smirks. "Was he hiding?"

 

"Yeah, probably because I shot the bastard in front of him and kinda, sorta, maybe hinted a little that he was next." CJ slides down the wall cackling.

 

"Yeah." Josette snorts. "The muggleborn students realized they were only there as breeding stock and the non-magical government had been called in. They were not happy with the Ministry or Fumbledork."

 

"You still need sleep."

 

"No worse than any other night I couldn't sleep." Josette says. "And you guys have been talking about working on this floor for a bit."

 

"We have." Clark says. "How far have you got?"