Hogwarts, meet Greta Logan and Scott Evil, hope you survive the ride! by josette grover
Summary: Hogwarts gets two new exchange students. Unfortunately for Hogwarts, they're older than the normal first years and didn't want to come there in the first place.
Categories: Non Buffy/Angel Crossovers Characters: None
Genres: AU
Warnings: Minor Character Death
Challenges: None
Series: Greta Universe
Chapters: 9 Completed: No Word count: 54470 Read: 154006 Published: 2008.09.29 Updated: 2009.07.18
Story Notes:
This story came about from a 50 rules for Hogwarts list posted to a Harry Potter list, an evil plot bunny (literally in Scott's case) who whispered in my ear, Scott at Hogwarts ticking off items on the list, and a plot bunny who's been trying to get me to write a Greta at Hogwarts story for a while now. Agios-Dynameostis, Agios Dynameos tis or Holy power in Greek/Ancient Greek.

1. Breaking the news to the new students by josette grover

2. Arriving at the Leaky Cauldron, seeing Diagon Alley, and shopping for school supplies. Oh be still my heart. by josette grover

3. Getting on the train, meeting the new teacher, and Oh Look! Bad guys to destroy! Typical day in the life of your average teenage Vengeance Goddess. by josette grover

4. Interlude: First night at Hogwarts: Getting settled into your new room, filling out paperwork, and upsetting the teachers without even trying. by josette grover

5. First day of School: Classes, studying, and tormenting the teachers. by josette grover

6. First week of school, settling into cliques, and getting adjusted to the new Headmistress. And, oh yeah. . . classes!!! by josette grover

7. First weekend at school--Let the mind games begin by josette grover

8. Infernal Muggle Devices by josette grover

9. Professor Snape gets even by josette grover

Breaking the news to the new students by josette grover
Author's Notes:
I don't own Austin Powers, Hercules:TLJ & Xena:WP, the Teen Titans/Doom Patrol (Garfield Logan, Steven Dayton, and Vernon Questor, though they're different than the comic book characters), or Harry Potter. I don't own the Scott Evil stories, the wonderful Scribe writes those, she just gave me permission to use Scott as a character. I do however own Greta.
“Dad,” Greta says, pinching the bridge of her nose as she fights off the headache that's screaming like one of her Great-Aunt Moira's pet banshees behind her eyes. Joxer, recognizing the look, passes her a vial of Apollo's pain medicine that she downs in one gulp, not even bothering to make a face at the awful taste.

“Because your Great-Aunt Hecate said so.” Ares says, for the fifth time that morning. “Everybody has had to take classes at her favorite magic school. Just humor her, it's only seven years.”

“Seven years I'm never going to get back.” Greta whines. “But why doesn't Gar have to go?”

“Because he hasn't come into his full powers yet, the way you have.” Hades says, closing his eyes as he prays for either patience or a jug of wine so he can get drunk. “He'll be going later, assuming you don't manage to destroy Hogwarts before you graduate.”

“Do I have to pretend I'm 'normal'?” Greta asks. Her dad, all three of them, nod in unison. “Fuck!!”

“They don't know you're a goddess, you're going to have to pretend to just be a normal student.” Joxer snorts. “Try to keep the mayhem down to a minimum, huh? A couple of the teachers know who you really are, but nobody else, not even the Headmaster.”

“Which teachers?”

“That, my dear daughter,” Joxer reaches over and taps Greta on the nose, “you are going to have to find out when you get there. Now, for the good news, you're not going alone. Your cousin Scott is going too, he's broken out magically.”

Greta blinks furiously before rolling on the floor, cackling.

Meanwhile, in Las Vegas.

“But Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, I don't wannnnnnnnaaaaaaaaaa gooooooooo.” Scott whines as Frau calmly walks around the room, plucking clothes from closets and dressers, folding them, and putting them in a suitcase while Number Two tries to console his lover.

“Scott, it's only going to be for seven years, and you're going to be home during the summer. Be a good boy and at least try it? For me????” Tooey whispers seductively in his lover's ear. “Your Uncle Joxer will be here in a couple of hours to take you and Greta shopping for supplies.”

“Greta?”

“Didn't we tell you?” Frau says in her best 'innocent' voice. “Your cousin Greta is going to be attending as well. Hopefully, you and she will be able to get in the same House.”

Scott stands there stunned for a second before he begins snickering, rubbing his hands together. “Oh boy, I think I just might enjoy this after all.” He says.

“That's my boy, you enjoy yourself while you're there.”

“Oh don't worry Ma, I will.” He says, making a promise to himself. “And I'm sure Greta will be more than happy to help.” he says softly..
Arriving at the Leaky Cauldron, seeing Diagon Alley, and shopping for school supplies. Oh be still my heart. by josette grover
Author's Notes:
 
“Scott, we're here.” Joxer calls as he and Greta, her ever expanding duffle bag tossed over her shoulder, pop into the hallway outside of Scott's room. Frau immediately opens the door and pulls Joxer and Greta into the room. Greta leans against the wall as Joxer goes over to help Frau and Tooey pack Scott's bags, shrinking them once they're finished.

“Did they tell you where you were going this morning too?” Scott asks, sidling over to his 'cousin' and whispering in the vicinity of her ear.

“Yeah. They yelled for me and told me what was going on just before we left so I wouldn't have time to argue.” Greta snorts. “Are you looking forward to this any more than I am?”

“Hell no, though the fact that we're in this together almost makes going away for seven years worth it. Well, that and I'm going to be away from my Dad, mini-me, and Fat Bastard.” Scott says, watching the door open slowly and the clone try to sneak in. He kicks it savagely shut, smirking at the muffled thud as the clone frantically moves out of the way. “Damn, missed. Little bastards getting faster.” he mutters.

“Scott, do you have everything, liebchen?” Frau comes over, kissing her son and 'niece' on the cheek and forehead. “Your uncle Joxer has arranged for Tooey and I to send you care packages. Here is some money for treats, and Joxer has arranged for a monthly allowance for yourself and Greta at the local bank. Now, I know it's not what you want to do, but you can't allow your magic to run wild like it was. You accidentally blew mini-me up, he was hovering near the ceiling for an hour yesterday.”

“Who said it was an accident?” Scott mutters, just loud enough for Greta to hear. She snickers, hastily turned into a muffled cough, when the others turn to look at them. Joxer rolls his eyes at the innocent looks both teenagers give him, silently wondering how long it will be before the first outraged letter from Hogwarts arrives and how much detention the pair will end up getting.

“Okay, everything's shrunk and in your pockets. Grab the carrier and let's go. Greta, where's Purlina?”

“Sacked out on my bed, why?” Greta asks as Scott asks, “What carrier?” He blinks as a large traveling case is pushed into his hands, looking at the occupant and finally looking happy since he got the awful news this morning. “Biggie!!!!”

“Well, he is your familiar.” Joxer says. “Every student is allowed either a cat, rat, owl, or toad as a familiar. Most get them at Diagon, but we've already made arrangements for you to bring yours with you. Call for Purlina Greta, and let's go.” Almost before he's finished talking, a large panther, easily six feet from nose to tail tip appears across Greta's shoulders, looking disgusted as only a cat can.

“The Leaky Cauldron.” Joxer announces, pulling a small bag of floo powder from his pocket and throwing it in a corner of the room where Tooey placed a lighted candle. Grabbing his nephew and daughter by the shoulders, he shoves them through the fire in front of him, holding them upright when they arrive at the bar.

“Hullo Joxer, this your nephew and daughter?” Tom asks, looking up from rubbing a cloth across the bar.

“Yes, this is Greta and Scott. Greta, Scott, this is Tom. He's the bartender here and he's going to be taking care of you until you go to Hogwarts in about a week. Thanks for agreeing to keep an eye on them, Tom.”

“Not a problem, Joxer. I'll make sure they stay out of trouble and take them to catch the train.” he says, tossing a pair of keys at Joxer. “I gave them the last two rooms on the end.” He says, “They can put their stuff in their rooms and you can take them shopping for their supplies.”

“Dad, where are we?” Greta asks, looking around at the other people in the room, all of them dressed in strange clothing. “And exactly, where are we?”

“You're in the Leaky Cauldron, love.” Tom says, grinning. “And you're in London.”

“Holy shit.” Scott says. “How the heck did we get here so quick?”

“The kids have never traveled by floo, then?” Tom smiles.

“They both live in the States, Las Vegas for Scott and New York for Greta. Neither home is connected to the floo network.” Joxer explains, dropping into a chair as the two teenagers head upstairs. Tom calmly pushes a butterbeer into his hands.. “No fireplaces in either place, though we may make a floo connection somewhere else they can light a fire. We used a candle to travel from Scott's home.”

“I'll sit them down and tell them about floos, then.” Tom says. “I arranged for copies of 'A history of Hogwarts' to be in their rooms.”

“Thanks Tom, you're a lifesaver. We only told Greta and Scott about Hogwarts this morning. We didn't want either of them to have the chance to panic, throw a fit, or hide.”

“Dad?” Greta asks, standing at the foot of the steps. Scott behind her.

“Ready to go you two?” Joxer asks, finishing the butterbeer. Both teenagers nod. Tom waves them through and Joxer walks out the back, leading them to a brick wall that he taps with a wand in a set pattern. “Remember this pattern, you two. It's the only way to get into Diagon.”

“Get into where?” Greta asks, blinking as a portal appears. Joxer puts his hands on both teenagers shoulders and pushes them forward.

“Welcome to Diagon Alley.”

~ ~ ~

“Oops be right back, don't move from this spot.” Joxer says, slapping himself on the forehead. “Tom, I nearly forgot. Greta's student trunk is going to be delivered tonight. I need to take Scott shopping for his tomorrow. Is there somebody around here who can put the spells on it, or did I need to take it home to do it?” Greta can't hear Tom's answer, but the grin on Joxer's face when he reappears tells her it was good news.

“Dad, what are student trunks and why do we need them?” Greta asks, foot tapping as she tries to hold onto her patience. It's been a long damn day and it doesn't look like it's going to end anytime soon.

“Students don't have dressers or closets in your dorm rooms, you're going to need a trunk to keep your belongings, books, and supplies in. That's why Ares dug that old trunk out of his weapons room and put the expanding spells on it for you.” Joxer says, secretly enjoying the dismayed look on Greta's face. “Since you're a good bit older than normal first years, the two of you may have your own rooms. But even then, you won't have a dresser or closet. Ohhh, and since there's no electricity at Hogwarts, there's no tv, radios, hair dryers, computers, etc.” Joxer says with an evil smirk, identical to his daughter's, Hades, and Strife's.

Greta looks at her father, turns and looks around at her surroundings and calmly begins swearing in ancient Greek. “I hate you.” she says calmly. “I hope to hell I get a room of my own. I'm not going anywhere without my laptop, even if I have to charge the battery myself.” she mutters. “Okay, we're in London, I'm going to have to make a supply run. You said we got a week before school starts?” Joxer nods, looking at his daughter with a grin. “How much will these student trunks hold?”

“They're like your duffle bags, they'll hold anything you put in them as long as the spells on them hold.”

“Good, cause I'm going shopping tomorrow morning.” Greta says. “How often can we leave the school? Oh and Dad, Scott's going to need some warmer clothes. This isn't Vegas, they actually have winter here in Merry Olde England. What kind of clothes can we wear at school anyway?”

“First years aren't allowed to leave the school.” Joxer says with a smirk, earning a glare from Greta. “Since you're older than most first years they may make an exception for you, but the school isn't here in London, it's in Scotland and there's only a small village nearby.”

“Why are we in London then?” Scott asks, following the fuming goddess and her grinning father.

“one, you can only get your supplies here in Diagon Alley.” Joxer says, pointing around. “And two, it's 'tradition'. You'll get on a special train in a week and travel most of the day to school. As for clothes, all the students wear uniforms. The school provides the first year student uniforms, but since they first years are mostly ten and eleven, I don't think they'll fit you two. I need to check in with Madam Malkin and see if the Headmaster left instructions with her about your clothes.”

“Okay, you drag us halfway across the world, tell us that we need to wear school uniforms, and now we've got to go to school with ten, eleven year old kids?” Greta says in disbelief. “Tell me I can at at least drink coffee?”

“Not unless you make your coffee with an old fashioned pot you boil over a fire.” Joxer says. “As for the pop, we can send you supply packages. And that's only if you manage to get your own room.”

“Oh, we'd better get our own rooms.” Greta says, “I'm not sharing a room with a bunch of ten, eleven year old kids.” she says.

“Greta, the school has the right to check the contents of a student's trunk at any time. Anything you don't want them find, keep it hidden and make sure they can't find it.”

“Oh, they won't find anything I hide.” Greta says solemnly. “So, shopping in London tomorrow?”

“Yes, we can go shopping in London tomorrow.” Joxer says sighing. “Like you said, Scott is going to need warmer clothes for the weekends when the uniforms aren't required and I need to purchase a trunk for him and have somebody put the spells on it. Tom says that somebody can do it if we bring it back, otherwise, I'll have to take it home and have Hecate put the spells on it. She redid the spells on yours, it should be at the Leaky Cauldron by the time we get done shopping.”

“This is Gringott's,” Joxer says, walking into a white marble building. Scott lets out a startled eep when he sees a goblin for the first time, jumping back out of reflex. “Scott, it's just a goblin. They run the bank” After a quick stop at the vaults and a explanation of the wizarding money denominations, they leave the bank.

“So what are we getting here?” Scott asks as they walk into a shop.

“Your potions supplies. It's one of the classes taught at the school. I need two first year potions boxes.” Joxer tells the woman behind the counter. “We'll pick up your cauldrons next.”

“Cauldrons, like in Shakespeare. Boil, boil, toil and trouble.” Scott says in disbelief.

“Actually Scott, the true quote is 'Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble/fire burn and cauldron bubble' “ Joxer says, snickering at his nephew's mangling of the line. “But yes, that's the general idea. Potions are made in cauldrons, and that's one of the classes they won't let you test out of.”

“Yes..” Joxer says patiently, taking the boxes, handing them to the others. “Hold onto these until we get your potions, then you can put them and your other supplies in there until we get back to the Leaky Cauldron.”

The stops at the cauldron shop, bookstore, and stationery are uneventful, though Joxer does grin at the whining of Greta and Scott when they find out they need to write on parchment with fountain pens and ink bottles. “Jeez, talk about medieval.” Greta mutters under her breath. “Haven't they ever heard of ink pens.” Greta shuffles the bag of books onto her other shoulder and sighs. They'd been greeted by a pile of books when Joxer had entered the store. It appears that the Headmaster had ordered some more books for the two, so they had the standard first year books plus some other books for other classes not normally held at Hogwarts.

Joxer leads the way into Madam Malkin's, smiling as the older woman gets to her feet with a smile. “Joxer, so good to see you. Albus told me that you were coming today with your daughter and nephew. . . Oh dear.” Her voice trails off as she sees the young woman entering the store behind Joxer. “I think we have a problem here.”

“Ahh shit, I hate when people say that.” Greta whines. “Why me?” she looks up at the ceiling. “Okay, what did I do this time?” she asks Madam Malkin with a sigh.

“Oh dear, I'm afraid you're not going to fit the normal first year uniforms.” Madam Malkin says, waving one of her fitters to come with the uniforms Albus had sent down. “And I'm forbidden to alter first year uniforms.”

“Greta, run in the fitting room and try these on.” Joxer says, taking the bundle of clothes and shoving them in his daughter's hands. “Let's see how bad it really is.”

“Is this a skirt or a funny colored handkerchief?” Joxer can hear Greta grumble from the fitting room. “Oh, I don't fucking think so.”

“Greta, language.” Joxer calls from the outer room.

“Dad, right now, I think I'm allowed.” Greta says, opening the curtain and coming out into the room. Joxer blinks as he sees the skirt hover somewhere just below her panty line, leaving her legs uncovered from hips to ankles. The robe she's wearing isn't any longer, looking more like a beach cover-up. She sits down, propping her legs, crossed at the knees to prevent any sight of underwear, on the back of the of another chair.

“Okay, If i show up at school wearing this, I'm going to make a scene. And it's not a scene I want to make.” she grumbles. Scott stares at his cousin, making fish out of water faces.

~ ~ ~

“Oh dear, I'm afraid you're right.” Madam Malkin says, heading for the fireplace. “Hogwarts, Albus Dumbledore.” She says, throwing a pinch of floo powder into the fire.

“Floo powder can be used to talk to people as well as travel.” Joxer tells his nephew and daughter. “I used the lighted candle as a floo, but it's better if you have an actual fire.”

“Madam Malkin, can it wait?” a face appears in the fire. “I'm rather busy at the moment.”

“Your new exchange students are here, and I'm having trouble with the young woman's uniforms.”

“Can Minerva handle it?” Albus asks, sighing. Across the room, Minerva puts down her paperwork and comes closer to the fire.

“I think it's better if she did. Albus, the young woman is over six feet tall, the skirt barely covers her underwear.”

“I doubt it's that bad, Madam Malkin.” He says soothingly, blinking as a young woman carefully stands up and walks across the room towards the fire. He thinks for a moment that she's not wearing anything from the waist down until she comes closer and he tears his gaze away from her long legs, seeing the skirt barely covering her underwear. “Oh dear, I'm afraid you're right.” He looks over at Minerva, who is staring in disbelief.

“Ms. Logan, there were two skirts in the bundle I gave your father. Please put the longer skirt on and see if it's any better.” Madam Malkin says over her shoulder as Minerva McGonagall rapidly leaves the room.

“This is the longer skirt, Madam Malkin.” Greta says, “The other skirt didn't even cover my underwear.” Albus moans as the young lady in question turns around, her skirt moving and showing a flash of underwear. Greta carefully sits back down, smirking evilly.

“Greta, you didn't need to do that. Albus really didn't need to see your underwear.” Joxer says mock-sternly, inwardly wishing he could join Ares and Hades who are rolling on the floor howling with laughter back on Mount Olympus. “I agree, you do not need to make that kind of first impression at Hogwarts.”

“Be glad I'm wearing real underwear Dad,” Greta snorts. “I could have been wearing a thong.” Joxer and Scott moan while Madam Malkin, Minerva(who just came running through the door) and Albus ask 'what's a thong' in unison.

“Are you the guy I need to talk to about getting my own room?” Greta asks, pointing a finger at the fire. “I'm telling you right off, I'm not going to share a room with a bunch of ten and eleven years olds. Nope, Nada, no way Jose, zip, zilch, zero, not going to happen.” Scott shakes his head vigorously in agreement. “Him neither.” Greta points a thumb in his direction.

“Miss Logan,” Albus takes a deep breath as Greta makes a motion to stand back up again. “While it is tradition that our students wear uniforms and live in a dorm room while at school, I believe that we can make an exception for yourself and Mr. Evil. You will still need to be sorted into a House, you will sit at their table for meals and other events, you will have full use of your House's common room, but I will be placing you and your cousin in rooms by the teachers.”

“Thank you Albus, I believe that will be better for everybody's sakes. Unless you were looking forward to Greta teaching the first years to swear in dialects of Russian, Greek, and Latin when somebody wakes her up in the morning.”

“And there's something you need to know, I have recurring bouts of insomnia. I doubt you'd like me keeping the other students up because I can't sleep. I generally read, write on various projects I have going on, or work out. Does the school have a gymnasium?” Dumbledore shakes his head no slowly.

“Not to mention the fact you'd probably keep them up even if you were asleep.” Joxer snorts. “Albus, Greta snores, loudly. You might want to think of putting up a silencing charm on her room.”

“Can Miss Logan not alter her sleeping arrangements so she doesn't snore?” Albus asks, pinching his nose as he realizes just how much the presence of these two are going to shake up his beloved school.

“If you mean sleep on my stomach, no.” Greta snorts. “I snore louder on my stomach.”

“I believe that Madam Pomfrey has potions that can help with that.” Albus begins to say, abruptly broke off by Joxer. “We already tried those Albus, they either don't work or work too well because they stop her breathing. You can't snore if you're dead.” /though Greta probably would./ he thinks, while Ares and Hades howl at the image.

“Oh, I just thought of something. Greta's six foot seven and still growing. A normal student bed isn't going to fit her.” Joxer says as Albus gets ready to end the floo call.

“Oh dear, are you sure?”

“That I'm 6' 7 1/2” ? Yeah. That most normal beds don't fit? Yeah! If your student beds are twin size beds, ohhhh yeahhhhh!!!!” Greta says dryly. “I haven't fit on a twin sized bed since I was nine or ten.”

“Albus, would it be possible for us to come to Hogwarts and try a bed? That would give you time to get a bigger bed for Greta's room.” Joxer says dryly. /And give Greta a chance to look at her room and find all the hiding places for the goodies I know she's going to bring along, even if she has to head back home to shop./

“Yes Joxer, I believe that would be best.”

“Greta, hurry up and get dressed. We're going to school.” Joxer calls over his shoulder as Greta gets up and goes back into the changing room, showing everybody her underwear once again.

“Thank God she wasn't wearing a thong.” Joxer says softly.

“What exactly is a thong?” Albus, Minerva, and Madam Malkin ask in unison again.

“It's a style of underwear that only has a small panel of fabric in the front, a strip of fabric that goes between the legs, leading to a small line of cloth that goes between the butt cheeks in back.” Joxer draws one in the dust of the fireplace. “A second line of cloth is at the top, holding it up.”

“Women actually wear those things?” Madam Malkin and Minerva gasp in unison.

“Men do too.” Scott smirks. “They're actually quite comfortable, when you're not reaching back to pull the floss out of your butt crack.”

“Tell me you are not wearing a thong, or worse.” Joxer looks at his nephew.

“Heck no, I only wear thongs as a treat for Tooey. Ma made sure I was wearing real underwear today.”

“Greta, hurry up. We're waiting on you.” Joxer calls in the direction of the changing room.

“Hold your horses Dad, I'm coming.” Greta says, coming out of the changing room changed into her old clothes. “Wait a second, I thought you said that the school was in Scotland.”

“It is, like I said before. If you are connected to the floo network, you can go anywhere. There is a limit though, so if you have to travel a long way, there's portkeys.”

“Portkeys?” Scott and Greta ask in unison.

“That's an advanced class, you won't be getting that for a few years.” Joxer grabs Greta and Scott by the elbows. “Madam Malkin, can you have somebody run their supplies to the Leaky Cauldron for us or do you want me to take them with us?” He asks over his shoulder.

“Off with you, I'll have one of the others run them over for you.” Madam Malkin says, waving a hand as Joxer follows Minerva through the fire, pulling a complaining Scott and Greta with him by the elbows.

“Dad, can we please not do that?” Greta says sourly, wiping the dust off herself when Joxer releases her to hold Scott upright as he holds his stomach. “Ohh man, I haven't felt that sick since I accidentally caught a glimpse under Bastard's kilt.” He moans.

“Miss Logan, Mr. Evil, Welcome to Hogwarts.”

~ ~ ~
Albus looks at his two new students as they recover from the floo trip from Madam Malkin's. The young woman recovers first, brushing herself off before looking around. He stifles a gasp when he sees her power aura, she's more powerful than himself, Harry, and 'He who must not be named' combined. No wonder she had been receiving individual tutoring. He's thankful that her family likes Hogwarts, it will make Beauxbaton's Academy of Magic and Durmstrang Institute jealous to have this powerful a student, especially with her pureblood pedigree, attending his school. He looks at the young man, slowly straightening up and complaining he hasn't felt this sick since he accidentally got a glimpse under somebody's kilt and smiles inwardly, while not in the league of his cousin, he's powerful as well.

“Why don't you follow Minerva out to the bathrooms so you can clean up?” Albus says, sitting behind his desk and looking at Joxer, letting him know he wants to talk to him privately. “I'll have the house elves send up a snack.”

“House elves?” Greta asks, looking over her shoulder at her father.

“Think larger, more outgoing, vocal versions of Cherubim.” Joxer says. “They cook, clean, and do laundry for the school.”

“Ahh,” Greta says, looking over at Scott who still looks lost. “Remember those little guys who you saw during the last family reunion? The ones who brought in food, cleaned up the rooms, and ran errands?” Scott nods. “Think larger versions of them.”

“Okay.” Scott says, eeping as one pops into view at Dumbledore's request. “You get used to it after a while.” Greta says soothingly, patting his arm as they follow Minerva from the room. Greta smirks as she catches McGonagall's disapproving look, quickly hid when she sees the young woman looking her direction, at the idea of a girl wearing pants. Joxer silently sighs. Oh, this is going to be a problem. Oh well, Minerva will recover. . . eventually, after all Greta and Scott are only going to be there seven years. Meanwhile, back at Mount Olympus Strife cackles at the idea of the buzz he's going to get from Minerva and Greta butting heads.

“While I'm glad that your daughter and nephew will be attending class here at Hogwarts, I was wondering why they didn't attend school in the United States.”

“Well,” Joxer says, dropping into a chair across the desk from Albus. “The New York school's been sniffing after Greta since she first started showing signs of magic. But Steven and Vernon took a tour of the school and were appalled at what they were teaching. They felt that Greta would do better with individual teaching from them and taught her themselves using books the school recommended, along with other books. She's been doing good with them as teachers, has a good knowledge of magical practices and principles, but her Great-Aunt likes this school and wants her to attend. As for Scott, he's just come into his magic, he'd be called a late bloomer in your world. His father's not a nice man, so the American schools don't want him as a student, even if they took students at his age, and Durmstrang doesn't allow muggle born students to attend. He's coming into everything new.”

“I think I can arrange for tutors for Scott to help him catch up.” Albus says, “He's not the first student we've had who had no idea of magic before arriving at school. Most of our parents teach their students the basics before they arrive.”

Greta and Scott come back into the room a couple minutes later, Greta already has a notebook and pen in her hands, making a list.

“Greta?”

“I'm making a list of what I'm going to need to get before I come back.” Greta says, looking up at her father. “I didn't know I wouldn't be able to leave the school grounds, so I'm going to have to stock up on necessities, and cat stuff for both 'lina and Biggie.” Scott moans, slapping his palm on his forehead and bringing his hand down. “I didn't even think about them.”

“'lina and Biggie?”

“Scott and Greta's familiars. They came with us, we left them at the Leaky Cauldron. I'll run and get some food, litter boxes, and litter for them if your Mom and Tooey didn't send some along.” Joxer reassures Scott.

“Ohh, can I take a look at my room before we leave?” Greta asks after finishing the snack the house elves brought up. “In case I need to see about a larger bed?” Dumbledore nods, leading the way down the hall between the towers where most of the teachers, those who are not heads of Houses have their rooms.

“Both of these rooms have their own baths.” He says, opening a door. “This suite has it's own bathing room, toilet facilities, sitting room, study area, and bedroom.” He says, showing Greta around. “Young Scott's room will be identical to this suite, he says, showing Scott his room after Greta lays down on the bed, showing Minerva and Albus the fact that her legs from the knees down hang off the edge of the bed.

“We'll arrange for this bed to be replaced by a larger one.” Albus says, summoning a house elf and giving him a note to take to the furniture maker. “I do ask that you take the time to talk to the man, since this is going to be your bed, and you will be taking it with you when you leave.”

“I doubt he's going to be able to make a bed that quickly.” Greta snorts. “It took a couple of months to have my bed special ordered, and most of that was having a mattress made just for the bed.”

“We will see, Miss Logan. We will see.” Albus says soothingly as the house elf returns with a note from the builder. His face falls as he reads the note.

“It appears that you are correct. He cannot make a bed custom made to your specifications before the school year arrives.”

“Told you it wouldn't be that quick.” Greta mumbles under her breath as Minerva returns with a small man floating in midair who huddles with Albus and Minerva, saying something about a stretching spell on the bed tuned to her, a similar spell on the bathroom facilities so the shower head and tub is comfortable for her. Joxer smiles and leaves them to their talk after taking measurements of Greta's body, heading back for the floo to return to Diagon Alley.

~ ~ ~
The floo lights up as Madam Malkin turns around, smiling as she sees Joxer, his daughter, and his nephew walking back into her store. “Thank you for the loan of the floo, Madam.” Joxer says, smiling at the woman, bending over her hand and kissing it gently, like Aphrodite taught him years ago. “Greta, Scott, the owl emporium is a few stores down. Why don't you run and get some supplies for your cats for the night until we can run into London and do some major shopping?”

Scott and Greta snicker as they leave the building, bumping into a group of redheads, a girl with light brown hair, and a brunette young man entering the store. The woman shepherding the group stops and stares at the young woman leaving the building wearing muggle clothes, and horror of horrors, pants. The two girls in the group turn around and watch them leave before entering the building.

“Madam Malkin, who were those young woman and man who just left?” Molly asks, entering the building.

“My daughter and nephew.” A male voice says, turning to look at the disapproving mother. “They're American and women do wear pants in the muggle world.” He says soothingly, using his godhood to soothe the two women. “They're going to be attending Hogwarts next week, and we had to talk to Madam Malkin about whether or not they'd need uniforms.”

“She will be changing into more proper clothing, won't she?” Molly asks.

“Doubt it.” Joxer snorts. “Greta doesn't like dresses or skirts, she dresses for comfort and she doesn't care if this makes people uncomfortable or not. Like Greta's said before, they don't have to look at me if what I'm wearing bothers them.” The lone brown haired girl the group nods vigorously. “We really do, Mrs. Weasley. I wear skirts while I'm in the wizarding world, but when I'm in muggle London I wear pants.”

“What must her poor mother think.:” Molly Weasley snorts. “I don't care what muggle women think, wearing pants is just wrong.”

“Greta doesn't have a mother, but as one of her fathers.” Joxer says in a deadly calm voice. “I can tell you that I don't have the least bit problem with Greta wearing pants.” Molly gulps silently and shuts up. “The headmaster has already told us that she doesn't have to wear the school uniform, so the students will just have to get used to her running around in pants at the school.”

“Why doesn't she have to wear the uniform?” the lone redheaded female in the group pipes up. “I think it's neat that she doesn't have to, but it's not fair to make the others wear skirts.”

“Because the school uniforms don't fit her, Ginevra.” Madam Malkin says calmly. “Greta tried a uniform on, and the skirt was much too short.”

“You're muggle born?” Joxer asks the brown haired girl in the group. She nods vigorously. “It looked like a mini-skirt on her, but shorter. The longer skirt barely covered her knickers, the other skirt didn't even do that.” Molly, Ginny, Hermione, Ron, and Harry blush in unison. “If you'll excuse me ladies, I need to find Greta and Scott, we still need to go to Ollivander's and get their wands for school. Scott just came into his magic and Greta's never used a wand in her life, so I'm afraid it's going to be messy.”

“What year is she going into?” Molly asks, interested in the poor young motherless young girl. She just needs a mother's tender love, she'll be wearing skirts and acting like a proper young Witch in no time. Joxer inwardly winces as the cackling of Ares, Hades, and Strife nearly deafens him. /Jeez, don't deafen me, you three./ he begs the cackling gods. /It's hard enough keeping a straight face as it is./

“Technically, first year because she hasn't attended a magic school before, her other fathers tutored her privately. But we expect her to catch up quickly. She's not quite seventeen, Scott her cousin's nineteen, but he's a late bloomer. Dumbledore has already said that he'd arrange tutors for them when school starts. He's already decided that, since they're so much older than the other first years, they're getting their own rooms as well.”

“Sweet.” Ron says, “how did they manage that?”

“Greta's six foot seven and still growing, she won't fit on a normal student bed.” Joxer says dryly, “in fact, Greta wouldn't even fit on a full-sized bed there, Dumbledore wanted to have a new bed made for her but the furniture maker couldn't make one before the school year started. When we left, they were talking about charms on the bed and bathroom tuned to her so they'd adjust to her.”

“Dad,” Greta says, sticking her head in the door, “Scott and I got enough stuff for our cats until we can go to London. They had the cutest kittens there, but 'lina would have a fit if she had any competition.”

“That cat of yours is spoiled rotten.” Joxer says fondly. “There's one more store we need to visit before I drop you and your cousin off at the Leaky Cauldron. Can the two of you shop in London by yourself or do you need me to come with you? I've got a ton of work at home, but I can put it off for another day if you need me.” Greta looks over her shoulder at Scott.

“We should be okay dad. I talked to the bank, our debit cards will work here in London once we told them we'd be here for attending school for the year. Where did you plan on getting Scott's trunk?”

“Harrods,” Joxer says, “like you said earlier, this isn't Las Vegas and Scott's going to need some warmer clothes this winter. Make sure you're stocked up on supplies, you won't be able to leave the school grounds until December.”

“Wanna bet?” Greta smirks. “Trust me, they wouldn't catch me if I decided to sneak off to London for a couple of hours. I've teleported from the space station to New York, now that I know where to go it won't be a bit of trouble to teleport from the school to London.” she tells her father in Greek.

“Don't get caught.” Joxer says in the same language. “And ask Scott if he wants to go with you one night if you do sneak off.” he says. “Make it a Friday night, coming back Saturday morning before breakfast, that way you'll have most of the day to sleep in.”

“Excuse me,” Hermione asks excitedly, briefly wondering what the pair had said to each other. “You're from the United States, right?”

“Yes, I'm from New York and Scott's from Las Vegas.”

“I'm a Third year, or I will be when school starts,” she corrects herself. “Starting with the third year the school has a class called Muggle studies. I've been asked to help the teacher with some things, maybe Dumbledore can arrange for you two to help as well. I'm sure the other students would be interested in hearing about the United States.” Greta looks interested for a second, looking at Joxer. “If the teacher and the Headmaster agree.” He says. “Now, we need to get the two of you wands and then get something to eat. Breakfast was a long time ago. If we got time, we might be able to go shopping in London today still, if not I'll pick you up at the Cauldron tomorrow morning.”

“Umm, would it be possible for me to come along?” Hermione asks quietly. “I need to pick up a few things before school starts too.” she says when Joxer and Greta turn to look at her.

“You can come if you want,” Joxer says quietly. “You can tell Greta what she needs to stock up on before she gets to school.” Hermione looks at Mrs. Weasley, the woman she's staying with for the two weeks before school starts with her parents off on a dental convention. “You may go, Hermione, if Ginevra, Harry, Ron and I accompany you.” Mrs. Weasley looks at Joxer, who nods in agreement.

“Meet us at the Leaky Cauldron after breakfast.” He says, smiling at the others as he pushes Greta out of the building.
~ ~ ~
Greta and Scott follow Joxer into a small building, walking into a room with walls and walls of small boxes. The old man who comes into the room stops and stares them, coming around the counter and clasping Joxer's hands before turning his attention to Greta and Scott.

“Good to see you, I see you brought your nephew and daughter for their wands. When are you going to break down and get one of your own?” He asks, pulling out a tape measure and quickly measuring both teenagers. He bustles into the back of the room, returning with an armful of boxes, putting them down in front of Greta then going back in and getting another armful of boxes he puts in front of Scott.

Two long hours later, Greta and Scott follow Joxer outside, blinking at the sunlight after being in the dark building for so long. Greta looks at the wand Ollivander had finally fitted her for, feeling bad for the older man. He'd worked so hard trying to find the perfect wand for her. She slides it into a hidden pocket of her shirt, no idea what she'll ever do with it but still, he finally found one that feels right for her.

Looking over at her cousin, she sees the group they had been talking to at Madam Malkin's coming out of the bookstore. “Are we done, Dad?”

“Yes, we are.” Joxer says, seeing the direction she's looking. “Mrs. Weasley, are you finished?” He asks, coming up to her and offering to carry a bag.

“Why yes, we are. The bookstore was our last stop for the day. We're heading home now so the kids can get their trunks ready for school.” She says, ushering Ginny ahead of her through the portal with a hand on her shoulder. They all enter the Leaky Cauldron, the smell of food cooking causing more than one stomach to start growling.

“Can I impose on you to have lunch with me, Greta, and Scott? The others as well? Scott and Greta haven't been to a magical school before, I was hoping the others might tell them what they can expect at Hogwarts.”

“I can't today, how about tomorrow after we go shopping? Scott and Greta could come to the Burrow and have lunch with us.” She says, looking at the other parent as Greta and Scott, drooping from the shopping spree, head upstairs to their rooms. “If you don't mind my asking, why are they staying here instead of at home?”

“A combination of the rest of the family being busy and neither of them knowing anything about the wizarding community before now. I felt that spending the week before school starts here will let them get used to it gradually instead of all at once.”

“I understand, Harry was so lost when he arrived at Hogwarts.” Molly says, shaking her head. “ I don't know how the younger muggle-born students handle it without somebody to help them.” She watches as Hermione and Harry, followed by her boys and Ginny use the floo to head home. “We'll be here early tomorrow morning. Don't worry, Harry, Ron, and Hermione will tell your two everything they need to know about Hogwarts.” Molly follows Ginny through the floo, the fire changing when she walks through the other side.

Joxer smiles as a young boy runs up, handing him a note. He reads the note and looks up from his spot at a table when Scott and Greta drop heavily into chairs across from him. Tom had seen them coming and comes out with a plate of toast, bowls of hearty stew, and a kettle of tea.

“Go ahead and eat you two, we'll run into London afterwards.” He says softly. “I have a note from Albus, he's asked Madam Malkin to make a special uniform for you two. You don't have to wear it all the time, but you do have to wear them at the welcoming feast, any classes you might have with the other students, the teachers will quiz you the first week and give you lesson plans for the classes you don't have to take with the other first years, and any special occasions. When you're in your room or not in classes, you can wear your normal clothes. Students are allowed to wear normal clothes on the weekends when they don't have class, so you won't look too conspicuous, and they'll set up a room for you to work out in Greta, since the school doesn't have a gym or physical education classes.” Scott sighs in relief at that.

“Ready to go, you two. Ares and I have a flat in London, we'll floo there and you can decide what we need to buy for school.”

“I thought we were going to go shopping tomorrow.” Scott asks, looking over his shoulder as Joxer leads them to the floo.

“We are, but today we're going for the sort of stuff they don't want you to have at Hogwarts.” Joxer says quietly in his nephew's ear. “Today, we're going to the virgin superstore so Greta can stock up on dvds and cds, then we'll get a cupboard you can shrink and make invisible for your goodies. Then, the bookstore for the non-wizarding books.”

Scott cackles as he follows Joxer through the floo fire, finally getting used to this way of travel.

They arrive back at the Leaky Cauldron three hours later, a number of items that normal Wizards wouldn't recognize made small and hidden in their bags until they can be set up at their rooms at Hogwarts. A couple of mini dorm fridges, a small freezer for ice cream, a microwave, coffee maker, dvd player and television, all spelled to work off of the magic inhabiting Hogwarts and not electricity, bags of cat food and kitty litter, enough to last six months or until December break, and boxes and boxes of Scott's favorite food, Hot Pockets.

Greta looks up at the knock on the door, coming out to follow Scott down the stairs for dinner. Joxer had dropped them off at the Leaky Cauldron, telling them he'd see them in the morning. Tom looks up, handing the two teenagers trays of food to take back to their rooms so they could read Hogwarts: A History” and write down any questions they might have for the others in the morning. He's shown them the owls so they can write home, and he sees both teenagers dropping off thick letters to be sent to America, despite having only been gone less than a day.

~ ~ ~

Greta puts the tray outside her room like Tom had told her to, heading for the bathroom to soak in the tub. She mutters under her breath, and the tub is suddenly longer, deeper, and the water boiling hot before she slips into it, while jets the bathtub didn't have a minute ago squirt water on tired, sore muscles. She'd read a couple of chapters of Hogwarts, and started in on her magical history and theory books, hoping that she'd be able to test out of the subject. A winking Hermione had said that she could have a copy of her old notes for the first year classes, telling her that she should be able to test out of at least History of Magic and maybe Charms, the others tended to be more hands on classes.

Hermione had laughed at Scott's question of, do you have all these classes every day, relieved when she had told him that they only have the classes once or twice a week at most. She and Harry had had to explain to the others that Muggle schools had the same classes every day for their students, the others had wondered just how anybody had time for homework, studying, or actually learning anything when they're taught like that. Molly had shook her head sadly when Greta, Hermione, and Scott said they don't.

Meanwhile, back on Mount Olympus Joxer flashes in and calmly swats Strife, Ares, and Hades across the back of the head with his hand. “Hard enough to keep a straight face without you three laughing hyenas bursting my eardrums.” He mutters dropping onto a couch. “This place is going to be awfully quiet the next few years without Greta popping in and out.”

“Okay, I just found out a few things from Molly and the others that Hecate didn't bother to tell us.” He announces, causing the other three to look at him, all traces of laughter leaving their faces. “The wizarding community is at war, somebody called Voldemort is trying to kill one of the students.”

“What???” Ares asks in a deadly calm voice, “And why didn't we know about this before now? Hecate, get your witchly ass here right now.” He bellows to the middle of the air. A minute or so later, the goddess of night terrors and witchcraft appears at the temple, glowering at her nephew.

“Do you mind Ares, I do have things to do.”

“Why didn't you tell us the wizarding world was at war before we agreed to allow Greta and Scott to attend Hogwarts?” He asks in the same deadly calm voice.

“Why do you think I wanted them to attend this year?” She snorts. “Right now Voldemort hasn't been reborn yet, Greta can use her godhood to destroy him once and for all, along with all his death eaters. As many people as he's hurt, she won't have any trouble calling vengeance down on him, and you two can help her deal with the others. And judging from the vibes I've been getting from Greta, Minerva, and Molly, Strife is going to have such a rush from all the mischief Greta's going to cause just by being herself. Add Scott and my favorite mischief-making twins there. . . “ Hecate pops out of the temple cackling.

“I am going to go complain to Mother.” Ares growls, standing up. “I don't appreciate Hecate using my daughter to take care of her problems in the wizarding community. Joxer, will you go to the halls of time and get all the information you can on 'Lord' Voldemort?” Ares makes his name into a swear word.

“Already did, Ares.” Joxer tosses a glowing ball to his husband. “I made a couple of copies in case we needed proof.”

Mount Olympus echoes with screams coming from various temples, mostly male but a few female.

Ares pops back into his temple the next morning, dropping onto his throne heavily as Joxer comes out of the bedroom to meet Molly and the kids for shopping in London. Joxer pauses long enough to kiss him on the cheek as Hades stumbles out of the room, half asleep and looking like he's been ravaged by a pack of lions or a husband trying to take his mind off more serious matters, dressed in human clothes. Joxer smiles as he pushes a cup of coffee in both of his husbands hands, waiting until they've finished drinking before asking them questions.

“Where are you going?” Ares asks, tilting his face up to accept a kiss from Hades once he's waken up.

“Going with Joxer to take the kids shopping, and talk to the others after we eat lunch.” Hades growls. “I'm going to enjoy dealing with 'Lord' Voldemort when I get my hands on him, though I don't like the fact that Greta's the one who has to deal with him.” Finishing a second mug of coffee, Hades follows Joxer out of the Temple of War.

~ ~ ~
“Hey Scott, c'mere!” Greta snickers, poking her head out the door and waving her cousin into the room.

“Yeah, whatcha want Greta?” Scott says, sleepily. “I was just about to go down and get something to eat before everybody arrives.”

“I”ll join you in a second, I just got an e-mail from a friend. You remember Josette, don't you?”

“AKA, our fearless author from another universe? Yeah, she's still got some unfinished stories of mine I'd like to see completed.” Scott complains, pouting.

Greta snorts. “Everybody's got some uncompleted stories of theirs they'd like to see her complete. Anyway, Harry Potter is a series of books and movies in her world, and she found this list of what not to do at Hogwarts posted on a HP list.. She thought you'd like them.” Greta snickers and pushes Scott into a chair in front of her laptop, reading the list over his shoulder.

“Ohhh, I like this.” Scott smirks. “I think I'm going to have a lot of fun with this, once I figure out just who and what these things are. Number three and six are my favorites.”

“Why did I think those would get your attention?” Greta smirks. “I like number 28 myself,” She turns to look back at bed where 'lina is washing herself. “They don't say anything about panthers, just snow leopards, so I should be good. Did you read number 14?”

“No,” Scott scrolls back up to read the item, cackling.

“Yeah, I thought of you when I read it too.” Greta snorts. “Shut the laptop down and put it in my trunk. I'm getting hungry and the others should be arriving anytime.”

Scott follows Greta down the stairs, wincing when she lets out an ear-splitting squeal and throws herself into Hades arms. “I didn't know you were coming too, today.” Greta pulls herself from her Dad's arms and looks at him. “Uh, oh, I know that look. What's wrong now.”

“I'll explain later, sweetheart. Let's just say that there's some things that are wrong that your Great Aunt wanted you to take care of for her. Unfortunately, she didn't let any of us know beforehand. Your Daddy Joxer only found out last night when he overheard a few things. Your Dad and Grandparents spent most of the night yelling at her for getting you involved like this, but it is your godhood.” Hades whispers in her ear in ancient Greek in case somebody's trying to eavesdrop.

“What's the matter?” Scott asks quietly. “Let's go upstairs to Greta's room, we'll ward the room and let you know.” Joxer says, waving Tom over and talking quietly to him. The other man returns five minutes later with trays of food and drink, watching as they walk up the stairs.

“Okay, we just found out last night that the wizarding world is at war.” Joxer says, leaning against the door after both he and Hades had warded the room against any hint of eavesdropping. “There's a person named Voldemort who wants to wipe out non pureblood wizards and witches, and has killed and hurt a number of people, including your new friend Harry and his parents. Harry's parents' were killed when he was a baby, and Voldemort tried to kill Harry too, but didn't succeed. He's dead, but he has tried to come back twice since Harry started attending Hogwarts. Your Aunt wants you to deal with him as Goddess of Vengeance, there's no lack of people who would be willing to call vengeance on him.”

“Okay,” Greta says slowly, “What do we have on this guy?” Hades tosses her the orb Joxer brought from the halls of time. Greta catches it, absorbing the information. Scott backs off as Greta's face grows hard as ice, proving beyond a doubt that Ares is her father. Greta begins pacing in the little room left, thinking out loud as she ticks items off on her fingers.

“Okay, I can think of at least three people who would call vengeance on him, getting me involved. Harry himself, Neville Longbottom since his parents were tortured by Voldemort's Deatheaters, and Sirius Black, Harry's godfather who was falsely imprisoned at Azkaban.”

“Speaking of Harry's godfather,” Joxer says, “He's escaped. Everybody's afraid he's going to head to Hogwarts and try to kill Harry.” Joxer tosses Greta another ball of energy. “Here's what really happened. If you can find Pettigrew, Black can prove his innocence.”

“Okay, so I need to deal with Moldy Voldy, his death eaters, and the Ministry of Magic/Dementors who are after Sirius, protect him until we can find Pettigrew and prove his innocence, and still pass my classes. Wonderful.” Greta whines, looking up at the ceiling. “Why me?”

“Well, it's a good thing that Hermione offered you copies of her first year notes, didn't she?” Scott snickers. “I know, it's not funny, but when it rains it pours.”

“I hate you.” Greta says without any heat, dropping onto the bed and taking the tray Joxer shoves in her direction. “Okay, at least I'll have more time to prowl Hogwarts looking for Sirius Black if I manage to test out of some of these classes.” Greta says, thinking out loud. “ 'lina, will you let me know if you see this guy?” Purlina looks up at the ball of energy, reading it and memorizing his power signature, then butting Greta's hand with her head. “I'll take that as a yes. Okay, hopefully I can get Hermione to tutor me, that will keep me somewhat near Harry and the others in case Moldy Voldy tries to attack him again.” Greta finishes the meal, burping gently as a knock is heard at the door and Tom sticks his head in, telling them that Mrs. Weasley and the kids have arrived.
~ ~ ~

Molly smiles as she sees Greta and Scott walk down the stairs, followed by her father and another man. She blinks, that shock of silver hair, identical to Greta's, leaves little doubt as to their relationship.

“Mrs. Weasley, may I present my husband, 'Des.” Joxer says, bending over and kissing her hand again. “Would it be possible to speak later today after we have gone shopping? I found out some things last night that are rather alarming.” He says quietly, looking over at the kids. Hermione hands Greta a thick roll of scrolls and she heads upstairs to put them in her room..

“Oh dear, you didn't know about you-know-who?” Molly asks, watching her children, including Hermione and Harry in that category, get to know their new schoolmates.

“No, we didn't.” Joxer says, “and I think that's something Dumbledore should have told us when we spoke to him to enroll Greta and Scott. As should have Greta's Great-Aunt when she insisted on being sent to the school.”

“Ohh dear, that's not good. My husband and I can tell you everything we know after lunch. I'll call him when we get back to the house and ask him to come home for lunch.”

“Thank you Molly, I don't want Greta to know what might happen. My daughter is too much like her other father, she'll want to be involved whatever happens.”

/I am already involved in whatever happens./ Greta says dryly in their heads. /While you and Dad talk with the Weasleys, I'll see if I can get anything from the kids. Including the scoop on what teachers are good ones, and which to avoid at all costs./

/Don't you mean which ones you can torment and which ones will make the next seven years a living hell unless you manage to pass all your classes and graduate early?/ Hades says dryly. /And that includes Headmaster Dumbledore as well./

/Ohhh, he's one of them I'm going to torment./ Greta promises. /That man is too damn manipulative for my satisfaction. If anybody can give me the real scoop on that man, it will be the kids. I don't know if Dad saw it yesterday, but he made my skin crawl, he looked so damn satisfied that he had snagged me as a student. I won't be the least bit surprised if he hasn't sent gloating letters to other schools saying how powerful his newest student was./

/Ohh, I saw it./ Joxer says, following Molly out of the pub and smiling as she summons a couple of taxis for them../Ares is keeping an eye on him. From what I saw of Harry's life last night, he's as manipulative as the bastard Fudge./

/Yes he is,/Joxer says, continuing the mental conversation even as they pile in the taxis and he tells the drivers where to take them. /One of your Professors, Snape, is a spy for Dumbledore in the Death eaters. I think you'll like him, he's almost as snarky as Ares, but he's protected Harry when necessary. He's a good teacher, but he doesn't have the personality to deal with his students without being nasty and insulting. But the students remember what he taught them and it's saved their lives more than once./

“Hermione, I had a question about DADA.” Greta asks Hermione. “How hard would it be to test out of that class first year?”

“Not too hard, it's most general knowledge first year, no actual hands on work. Do the reading and you should be able to pass it easily. Second year was general creatures, if you do some studying up on them, you might be able to join us for the third year class.” She says happily.

“Last year we didn't have the best teacher for the class,” Ron says smirking as Hermione glares at him. “ 'Mione had a crush on him, like most of the girls at school. Hopefully, we'll have a decent teacher for it this year.”

“What happened to the teacher last year?” Greta asks as they pull up in front of Harrods. Joxer reaches over, brushing off Greta's clothes as they enter the store. The doorman looks them over but lets them enter. “Wow!!!” Ginny says, looking around. “This place is really something. Are all stores like this?”

“Nope, this is a very special store. Very upper crust.” Molly says. “I want everybody to be on your best behaviors. This is the type of stores the Malfoys might shop at, if they deigned to shop at a 'muggle' store.” she tells her kids in a whisper. “That means you, Fred and George.”

“The teacher last year was a glorified pompous a . . .egomaniac.” Ron says, catching what he was about to say at Molly's glare. “He was more interested in everybody knowing how fantastic he was than teaching the class. He got hit by a spell that went wrong, he's currently at St. Mungos. They don't think he'll ever recover.”

“What's St. Mungos?”

“Our hospital dear, it specializes in injuries from spells and curses.” Molly says quietly as she watches Greta, Hermione, and Ginny look at clothes while Joxer and 'Des fit Scott out with a complete warm wardrobe and trunk for school. The purchases are shrunk when they leave the store, fitting in various pockets while the walk around window shopping and the girls stock up on what supplies they'll need for the year.

Four hours later, Greta drops onto her bed at the Leaky Cauldron. She'd thought Hestia had energy, she has nothing on Molly Weasley, who runs her household like an army unit. She smiles as she remembers the conversation Joxer and Hades had had with Molly and her husband after lunch. As much as Joxer and Hades were grilling Molly and Arthur about the situation at Hogwarts and the Wizarding community, Molly was grilling the two of them about their family and the two teenagers out in the back yard de-gnoming the yard with her brood.
Getting on the train, meeting the new teacher, and Oh Look! Bad guys to destroy! Typical day in the life of your average teenage Vengeance Goddess. by josette grover
Greta yawns as she follows Tom and Scott through the King's Cross train station. She spent the last week reading Hogwarts a history, investigating Diagon Alley while Madam Malkin fitted her school uniform and new robe, and frequently going over to the Burrow for lunch with Scott at Molly Weasley's invitation. The older woman had taken it upon herself to keep an eye on 'that poor motherless girl, all alone here except for her cousin and new to the wizarding community', visiting her at the Leaky Cauldron when she didn't have the girl and her cousin over at the Burrow, bringing her homemade cakes and cookies, the poor dear is nothing but skin and bones, and making sure her children didn't tell her horror stories about what to expect at Hogwarts.

Tom looks on at his two charges in amusement as Greta stifles another yawn with her hand and a huge coffee she'd gotten at the local Starbucks before they arrived at the station. He'd seen the girl with either 'A history of Hogwarts' or one of her textbooks in her hand whenever she was eating. He pushes the handcart with their student trunks, the traveling cases for their familiars, and a basket of food he'd had the kitchen make for them, ahead of them through the seemingly solid brick wall that's Platform 9 and ¾. He turns and watches in amusement as Scott gulps, grabs Greta by the elbow and walks through with her.

“Okay, that was just wrong.” he mutters under his breath as the emerge on the other side. Greta finishes her coffee, pushing the paper cup in a rubbish container as Hermione and Ginny wave at her from where they're watching their luggage be loaded onto the train.

“Greta, Scott, come on. We've got Ron and Harry holding a compartment for us.” Ginny says excitedly. “Hullo Tom, thanks for bringing them. Mum would have stopped and gotten them if you were busy.”

“Not a problem, Ginny.” Tom smiles, handing Scott and Greta the cat cases and huge basket of food. “I know they'll have a cart coming through so you can grab snacks, but you need more than snacks for the ride. You're all still growing boys and girls, and I know that Molly will have packed food as well.” He waves and turns around, heading back to the Leaky Cauldron once he's certain the others have his charges well in hand.

“Oh yes, Mum was cooking all yesterday so we'd have something for the trip.” Ginny giggles, grabbing the basket with a 'whoof'. “Boy, and I thought Mum packed a lot of food.” she giggles, leading the way onto the train, waving for her brother to come grab the basket. “Tom packed food for Scott and Greta as well, we're going to have a feast today.” she says, leading them into the compartment. “Stay away from that one,” she says softly, pointing Draco Malfoy and his ever present guards as they enter a compartment. “and his bully boys. He's a right awful snob, and loves to make trouble for new students, especially those who are muggleborn. He's one of those wizards that take being pureblooded very seriously.”

“Ohhh, I don't think I'm going to have any trouble with him.” Greta says, watching the blond boy, who's hair is almost as white as her own, with a smirk. “He has nothing on me when it comes to being pureblooded..” Greta and Scott exchange identical smirks, remembering what Ares had told them when he popped in on them last night. “My family is a lot older and much more pure blooded than he could ever be.”

“Oh really?” Draco Malfoy asks with a purr as he comes up behind them. The young woman who had been talking turns to look at him and he gasps, feeling the power radiating off of her. “Yes, really.” She says smugly. “I'm the youngest daughter of the Agios-Dynameostis family, little boy. Can you beat that?” She says in her haughtiest tone, sounding just like Hera when she's shoving a task off on you that you and she know you won't like, the 'do it and no complaints, I am the Queen of the Gods' tone..

“Woot!” Ron says with a surprised look. “No wonder you were privately tutored.” He breathes. Hermione and Harry look lost. “That's one of the oldest, most powerful, most pureblooded families in the wizarding world, Harry, 'Mione. No wonder Dumbledore's falling over himself to keep you happy.” Ron shuts the door in Draco's stunned face, not noticing the older man who had been shadowing Harry all morning looking stunned at the announcement of Greta's family name. It can't be!!!

“If you're really a Agios-Dynameostis, why are you associating with mudbloods like Granger and Potter?” Draco says, opening the compartment door with a sneer.

“Scott, you want to take care of it, or do you want me to?” Greta asks her cousin, snickering.

“Hello, we haven't been introduced,” Scott stands up, sidling over to Draco and leering at him. “I'm Scott Evil, and I'm one of those mudbloods you don't seem to think too highly of. My father's a muggle, and my mother is a Squib. I just came into my magic earlier this summer. We both grew up in the United States, so we don't have these little 'I'm better than you because my blood is purer' fantasies that you seem to have over here.” Scott smirks at his cousin, winking. “Anybody ever tell you you're cute when you're flustered?” Draco lets out a high-pitched eep and quickly shuts the compartment door, almost running down the hall to his compartment and his bodyguards. The compartment is silent for a second until Greta starts howling with laughter, reaching over and smacking Scott on the shoulder with her palm when he sits back down.

“Bad Scott, I'm going to have Tooey beat you when we get back home. You've already got a man of your own, you don't need to find another one.”

“EWWW!!!!!!!” everybody else in the compartment says in unison.

“I thought you last name was Logan?” Ginny asks as they settle down in the compartment. The train whistle blows twice, and they begin to move.

“It is, my family changed my last name when I went to live in the United States with my adoptive parents.” Greta says calmly. “The schools in the states were falling all over themselves, can you imagine how they'd react if they knew who my family really was. Besides, can you imagine answering to that mouthful every day.” She says sourly. “Logan is just fine for me.”

“Why didn't you go to Durmstrang or Beauxbaton's?” Ginny asks, looking at their new friends.

“Scott's father is a muggle and Durmstrang doesn't allow muggle-born or half-blood students. And Beauxbaton's wouldn't have taken us as old as we are.” Greta says, shrugging. “If our Great-aunt didn't like Hogwarts so much and pulled more than a few strings, Scott probably would have been tutored just like I was.”.

~ ~ ~

“You didn't want to come to Hogwarts?” Fred and George say in unison.

“Not hardly.” Scott snorts. “We both argued with our parents about coming. They only told us the morning before we arrived at the Leaky Cauldron so we wouldn't have time to argue about it. The only good thing about it is I'm away from my father and his nutball ideas for the next four months.” He opens the door on the carrier, reaching in and scratching under Biggie's chin as the cat comes out, curling up on Scott's lap and beginning to purr as 'lina takes her usual spot up on Greta's shoulders. To everybody in the room, except for Scott, she looks like a small, sleek half-grown kitten.

“Is that a hairless cat?” Hermione asks, “I'd heard about them, but never seen one.”

“You still haven't.” Scott snorts. “My screwball father is bald, so he keeps shaving the cat. At least I was able to bring Biggie with me, I'd hate to see what happened if he had to stay home with my screwball father and his nutjob henchmen.”

“Henchmen?” Harry asks, wondering if his new friend's father is a death eater.

“Yeah,” Scott snorts rudely. “My idiot father is a mad scientist who wants to rule the world. He's upset that his only son isn't as evil as he is. Why the hell would I want to take over the world? Too much like a real job. I'm a slacker, work and I are not the best of friends.”

“Professors Snape and McGonagall are going to hate you then,” Ron snorts. “They don't like students who don't work hard, do their best, and do well in their classes. Well, Professor Snape doesn't like anybody who isn't a Slytherin, but that's beside the point.”

“Is Professor McGonagall the woman who we met when we flooed to Hogwarts?” Scott asks Greta. “Tall woman, hair in a bun, wears small square framed glasses. Nearly had a cow because Greta was wearing pants but hid it when she saw Greta looking her direction?” He says to the others, who nod in unison.

“Yes, that's Professor McGonagall. She's the head of Gryffindor, the house everybody but you two belong to at school. Hopefully you two are sorted into Gryffindor, because I want to see the look on her face when she has to deal with the two of you on a daily basis.”

“What's the head of house, a glorified babysitter?” Scott snorts. “Like a chaperone when you go on school trips?”

“No, the head of house is the teacher who controls one of the four houses in the school. Students are sorted into a house by the sorting hat when they first arrive.” Ron says, wondering what the heck a 'chaperone' was, he'd have to ask 'Mione when they were alone. “She also teaches transfiguration at school, it's the process of changing one thing into another. She's an animagus, which is when a witch or wizard can turn into an animal. She can become a cat. Animagi are very rare, and must be registered with the Ministry.”

“Ya mean like this?” Greta snorts, putting 'lina down on the bench beside her. The others blink as a large pure white cat is sitting there a second later. They hadn't even seen her transform like McGonagall does.

“Showoff.” Scott snorts. “I wonder if I could do that? Is it one form for everybody, or is it based on the personality of the wizard?”

“Depends on the personality of the witch or wizard.” Hermion says, blinking as Greta transforms back. “I”ve never seen anybody change that quickly or easily, though.”

“Greta's special.” Scott says as a knock is heard at the door. Harry gets up, wand drawn behind his back, and moves the curtain over the window, finding a stranger standing on the other end.

“Hello, my name is Remus Lupin and I'm the new DADA teacher this year.” Remus says, walking in and looking at the students, his gaze lingering on first Harry, then the two American teenagers. “I'm introducing myself to the students before we get to school.”

“Hello Professor Lupin.” Ginny chirps, bouncing in her seat. “These are my brothers Fred, George, and Ron, and I'm Ginny Weasley. We have another brother around here somewhere named Percy, he's a seventh year Head Boy, so he's probably off somewhere with his friends.” Ginny babbles.

“What friends?” one of the twins snorts softly. “Percy would have to be human to have friends.”

Ginny ignores her brothers, continuing her introductions. “Harry's the one who let you in, this is our friend Hermione Granger, and our new friends Greta Logan and her cousin, Scott Evil. Except for Greta and Scott, we're all Gryffindors. Greta and Scott are exchange students from the United States, this is their first year. Fred and George are fifth years, Ron Harry and Hermione are third years, and I'm a second year.” Ginny finally stops babbling when Ron calmly puts his hand over her mouth, yelping when she bites him. Ron hurriedly pulls his hand back, glaring at his sister who merely smirks at him.

“Told you the next time you did that, I'd bite you.” She says. “Sorry about that professor, my idiot brother says I talk to much.”

“Hello Harry, it's good to see you again, though you wouldn't remember me.” Remus says looking at his old friend's son. “You look so much like James did at your age.”

“You knew my parents?” Harry asks, tears coming to his eyes.

“I did, your father and I were very good friends. Perhaps McGonagall or Albus told you about somebody named Moony?” he asks, reaching over and cupping Harry's cheek.

“You're Moony?” Harry asks, “But that means you're a . . .”

“Werewolf? Yes, I am.” Remus says sadly. “And since our beloved Ministry makes being a werewolf illegal. . .”

“You know,”Greta snorts, “The more I hear about this 'Ministry' of yours, the less I like it.”

~ ~ ~

“Professor Lupin, could you tell me a little about my parents?” Harry asks as Ginny and the others head off to check up on their year mates, or in the case of Greta, Ron, and Scott, are drug off by Hermione.

“Harry, we'll see you in a few hours.” She says as she pushes a complaining Ron out the door. “We'll meet back here for lunch, okay?”

“Would you like to eat with us, Professor Lupin?” Greta asks, looking at the shabby, worn and poorly patched robes. “If Mrs. Weasley packed anything like Tom, we've got more than enough food for all of us, even if the boys can eat twice their weight in groceries every day..” Greta doubles the food within her basket with a thought, silently calling for Apollo to come invisibly and see if there's anything he can do to help the man.

“Look who's talking Ms. 'I can eat everything in sight and be hungry an hour later.” Scott snorts. “Trust me, I don't eat that much, I don't want to end up looking like Fat Bastard.” he mutters under his breath.

Greta's leaning against one of the coach railings, enjoying the scenery when the train suddenly screeches to a halt.

“What happened?” She asks, pulling Hermione and Ginny to their feet.

“Something on the tracks.” somebody yells from the front of the train. “It will take about an hour to clear the tracks.”

“What is THAT?” Somebody screams from the front of the train, bringing Harry, Remus, and Greta running.

“Greta, Harry, get back.” Remus orders, seeing the Dementors.

“What are those things?” Greta asks, pulling Harry out of the way as one of them tries to rush him.

“Dementors, they're creatures that drain people by absorbing their positive energies, leaving them reliving their worst memories/experiences until they go mad.” Remus says, protecting the two teenagers as he throws curse after curse at the dementors.

“Then I hope they make themselves sick on this.” Greta snarls as she begins to mutter, her eyes and hands glowing as she blasts the dementors with pure energy blasts, disintegrating them.

“Was that all of them?” She asks shakily, leaning on Harry. Scott comes over, looping one of her arms over his shoulder. Harry follows suit and they help Greta into the compartment while Remus and the other adults search the train. Remus looks back at them as they pause in the door of the compartment.

“That's all of them.” He says, running a hand over his hair. “They must have set up the debris so the train would stop.”

Harry and Scott gently lower Greta onto one of the benches in the compartment. Harry turns to leave.

“Scott, I'm going to lock the door when I leave. Stay in here in case something else happens, the door will let you out if there's an emergency. We'll be back as soon as we check the train over.” He orders, locking the door behind him as the others come running up.

“What happened? Professor Lupin just said that you, he, and Greta were attacked by something called Dementors.” Hermione demands.

“Greta destroyed them. She didn't use her wand either, she just started muttering something, her hands started glowing and they were vaporized.” Harry says, rubbing a hand over his head. “There wasn't even a trace left of them.”

“How is she?” Ron asks.

“Resting. I left Scott with her. But she's damn powerful, We can't let you-know-who get his hands on her.” He says. “Come on, lets help them clear the tracks. The sooner we get the tracks clear, the sooner the train can get moving and we can get them to Hogwarts, where it's safe.”

“You okay?” Scott asks, folding a cushion and placing it under Greta's head.

/You are an idiot./ a female voice yells as Purlina, back in Hellcat/Panther form, appears in the compartment. /You could have been seriously hurt./

/But I wasn't,/ Greta says. /Nag later, 'lina./

/Scott,/ Purlina says, looking at the young man. /There's a vial in Greta's bag, will you get it please and give it to my foolish child?/

“Hopefully it's poison.” Greta moans as Scott opens her bag, pulling out the vial and holding it up for 'lina to see, she nods and he removes the stopper, holding it to Greta's mouth and helping her sip.

/No, you're not getting out of a lecture quite that easily./ Purlina snorts. /Your fathers watched what happened and they are fuming. Expect to see at least one of them tonight. . ./ 'Lina's voice trails off in her mind as the sparkles of a teleporting god appear in the middle of the room. Apollo arrives and immediately goes over to Greta, pushing Scott away gently as he begins to examine his patient.

“Well, you didn't do yourself any permanent damage. A good night's rest and a decent meal will put you to rights.” Apollo says, again doubling the contents of Mrs. Weasley's hamper and Tom's basket. “Give this to Remus if you can find a way,” Apollo gives Greta a vial and refills her emergency supply of medicines, “that, good food rest, and getting out of England will help him. If he has to leave Hogwarts, let us know. We've got a spot for him on Mount Olympus or Stefan and Jandros can find him work in America, where being a werewolf isn't Illegal.”

“Can we do something about the Ministry and their damn stupid laws.” Greta asks as Apollo prepares to pop back to Mount Olympus.

“Talk to your father after Voldemort is dealt with.” Apollo says, ruffling Greta's hair, smiling when he gets a growl and half-hearted attempt to swat him. “Ares is supremely pissed and is talking with Hecate, your brother, and your Grandparents about making an appearance and forcing some changes. Now, I gotta go, sounds like somebody's coming.” Apollo tilts his head and teleports away as footsteps near the compartment door.

The door handle is jiggled and a muffled voice is heard on the other side of the door as it opens. Remus Lupin stands in the doorway, walking three steps into the room and bending down on one knee.

“My lord, My lady.” he says formally, eyes bent.

“Not me Dude, Greta's the goddess in the family.” Scott smirks. “Looks like you found one of the teachers who know who, and what, you really are.” Scott gets up, heading for the door as the train begins to move. “I'll go distract the others until you're finished talking.”

~ ~ ~

“Scott?” Remus asks as the younger man reaches the door.

“Yes?” He asks, sticking his head back around the door as the others come up.

“Tell Harry or Hermione that I said to have the snack carts pass out some chocolate to everybody. It will help with the shock everybody's had.” Remus then puts up an anti-eavesdropping charm on the room so they can talk privately.

Scott turns to look at Harry, who holds up a hand. “I heard. Ron, go tell Professor McGonagall and Hagrid, they can have the carts sent around.” Ron grins and heads off to tell the other teachers, stopping at the abandoned cart and scarfing a handful of chocolate frogs he stuffs in his pockets. He returns a couple minutes later, handing the frogs out to his brothers, sisters, and friends, leaving one for Greta.

Meanwhile, back in the compartment, Greta sits up shakily, leaning on Purlina. Remus, despite himself, immediately gets up and helps her sit up, taking a blanket from the shelf and wrapping it around her.

“Thank you,” Greta says, “Here, drink this.” She hands him the vial Apollo had pressed in her hand seconds before. “Apollo sent it down, it will help you feel better, that and a few decent meals. I don't approve of how the Ministry treats werewolves, let me know if you need a place to go other than Hogwarts. Apollo has offered you a place on Mount Olympus or you can come to America with me and Scott, we'll be more than happy to help you find a job and place to live. And being a werewolf isn't illegal in the states.”

“Thank you Lady Greta, but this is all too much. You don't have to do this for me.” Greta just gives him a 'get real' look, looking pointedly at the vial still in his hands. He smiles, not about to argue with a Goddess, and drinks the contents of the vial, feeling new energy flow through his veins.

“Thank you Lady Greta, may I ask why you are here?”

“Originally, I was supposed to attend Hogwarts.” Greta snorts. “It wasn't until I was at Diagon that we found out that the wizarding community here was at war. Hecate neglected to mention that fact when she demanded Scott and I attend her favorite magic school. Now,” Greta shrugs, “we know that she wants me here to deal with Voldemort once and for all before he can be reborn. Once he's out of the way, the others will deal with his Death Eaters and the idiots at the Ministry. But,” Greta looks at Remus, “I'm going to need your help. We need to capture Pettigrew, find Black and get him to safety before the Dementors can find him, and prove his innocence. And, I'm going to need somebody's who been hurt by Voldemort to call for Vengeance against him before I can act. I figure that's going to be either Harry, Neville Longbottom, or Sirius Black.”

“Sirius didn't kill James and Lily?” Remus asks, eyes hopeful. He hadn't wanted to believe that his friend had killed the others, but. . .

“No, Pettigrew did. Sirius escaped and is making his way to Hogwarts to try to protect Harry.” Greta says. “If this year is anything like the last two, Voldemort's going to try to go after Harry again, I'm going to try to be as close to him as possible so I can be there when it happens.”

“We're going to need a way for the two of us to be close to you, then. If you were in the same year, it wouldn't be a problem, you'd have the same classes, but. . . “

“Actually, that's rather simple.” Greta says calmly, “After the battle today, you can arrange for tutoring for me to get me in your third year DADA class, that way I can train with Harry, who has no doubt realized just how powerful I am and that Voldemort would let nothing stand in his way if he found out about me.”

“You're setting yourself up as bait for the bastard.” Remus says, looking at the young woman in horror.

“Won't be the first time,” Greta says softly. “And hopefully I can destroy the dark lord before he can destroy any more lives. You'd better let them back in, before they wonder what's going on in here.” Greta says calmly, looking at him.

“Okay everybody, you can come in now.” Remus says, standing in the doorway. He looks stronger, taking the frog from Ron with a smile as they enter the room, finding Greta wrapped in a blanket sitting up on one of the benches.

“Don't ruin your appetite eating that frog, Ron.” Hermione chides, “we've still got lunch.”

“ 'Mione, quit nagging. One little frog isn't going to spoil my appetite.” Ron says, smirking. “I'm still a growing boy, I need my energy. 'Sides, what other time are you going to get the chance to eat chocolate under a teacher's orders?”

“Umm, it's not a real frog, is it?” Scott asks, squeamishly, looking at the still unopened package in his hands.

“No, they're chocolate, they're just made to look like frogs.” Ron smirks as Greta tears open the package and quickly devours the chocolate. “Ahh, that feels better. I'll have to see if I can get in a supply for that time of the month.” Ginny and Hermione nod in unison. “There's no school store where a first year can pick treats up, is there?”

“Nope, most first years usually have an older brother or sister or friend who will bring them back a treat if they give them the money.” Ron says, nodding at the twins. “These two had quite a business going last year doing that, they made quite a bit of money doing that and selling their pranks.”

“Pranks?” Remus says, “Technically, as a teacher I should be upset, but Harry's father, myself, and a couple other friends made the teachers miserable when we were in school with our pranks.” The twins look at each other then at the new teacher.

“Would it be possible, sir. . . “ George begins.

“to talk to you later about your school years?” Fred finishes the sentence.

“God, and I thought you and Gar were bad, finishing each other's sentences.” Scott looks at Greta.

“We don't do that too often anymore,” Greta snorts. “But then, we're fraternal, not identical.”

“You are a twin too?” Fred and George say in unison, looking at their new friend.

“Yeah, I have a twin brother. He's safe at home, he hasn't come into his full powers yet, so the parentals are keeping him home this year. He'll probably be attending next year. You might be meeting him, Dad said he'd try to bring him along to look over the school when he came to pick me up at the train station when we come home in December.”

Scott reaches over and opens the basket, pulling a bundle of cloth out that he flips across the compartment to Greta. “Here, looks like Madam Malkin finished your uniform in time after all.”

“Crap,” Greta says. “Oh well, they've already promised I don't have to wear it all the time.”

“Madam Malkin made you a special set of uniforms?” Remus asks, taking a thick sandwich and cup of soup Scott passes out to everybody. “Was something wrong with the traditional uniform?”

“Yeah, the long skirt barely covered my underwear, the short skirt didn't even do that, and the traditional student robe looked more like a beach cover up than a robe,” Greta snorts, opening the bundle and pulling out a robe, holding it up so the others can see just how long it is compared to Remus' before folding it and putting it away. “Will I need to change into it before we get to Hogsmeade?”

“No, first year students usually don't get their uniforms until after they're sorted into a house.” Remus says. “The others will change into their uniforms once we get to the school and are settled into their dorm rooms.”

“Good, because that skirt looks like it itches.” Greta mumbles. Ginny and Hermione nod again. “They do until they've been washed once or twice. How many uniforms did she make for you?” Greta looks at the note in the package. “Three robes, five skirts, six blouses, three vests, and I'll get the tie when I'm sorted into a house? You guys wear ties, even the girls?”

“Yes, it's supposed to be because we're all equal.” Ginny snorts.

“Scott, no pretending to choke yourself with it during detentions.” Greta orders fondly. “I know how you feel about ties.”

~ ~ ~

“You won't have the time to mess around during detentions.” Hermione says, “I don't know if it's the same way in the United States, but at Hogwarts you're not just allowed to sit in a room doing nothing. It depends on which teacher is giving the detentions, but you will be working. Snape has his students scrubbing cauldrons, cleaning the room, working on the potion they messed up in class, or organizing his shelves. Ron's a master all all three, thanks to his many hours of detention with Professor Snape, either for goofing off, doing something he's not supposed to have, or messing up a potion during class.”

“Yuk it up, 'Mione.” Ron growls. “Detention can range from losing points for mouthing off, coming in late, not having your homework ready to hand in, having to write lines for a teacher, having to clean a room without magic, to some really nasty stuff like having to go out in the forbidden forest at night.”

“Lovely,” Scott mumbles. “Which teacher is the absolute worst when it comes to detentions?”

“Snape,” all the Gryffindors say in unison. “Though McGonagall's a close second. She doesn't want to show favoritism towards her own house, so she takes more points from Gryffindor than other houses. Snape always shows favoritism towards his house.”

“What are points?” Scott asks.

“Teachers can award points to a student, and they're credited to the house.” Ron says. “There's big hourglasses in the main hall for each house, showing how many points a house has at that time. When points are taken or given away, they update automatically. At the end of the year, the points are totaled up, and the house with the most points wins a cup.”

“Okay, a reward for good behavior and punishment for bad behavior.” Greta says, nodding. “I understand now. What happens when we get off the train?”

“The rest of us will go up to the school in coaches drawn by Thestrals,” Ron says, with a shrug. “I'm not sure if you will have to or not, but all first year students have to go across the lake in boats with one of our teachers Hagrid. They wait in a room until everybody else is settled at the tables and listen to Dumbledore's traditional welcome message, the first years are paraded in, sorted into houses by the sorting hat, go to join their new House tables, we pig out at the welcoming feast, listen to Dumbledore talk some more, then go to our Houses for the rest of the night.” Ron says, waving a hand. “You're not supposed to leave your House after dinner unless you've got permission or detention. If a teacher catches you, you get in trouble. There's no set bedtimes at school, you go to bed when you're tired.”

“You need permission from a teacher to leave the House after dinner.” Hermione says primly. “If Harry and Ron would stop sneaking out, they wouldn't get in trouble.”

“Don't get caught by Filch,” the boys warn the newcomers at the same time. “he's the school caretaker, and he hates the students. He enjoys roaming the halls to catch misbehaving students. He's got a cat called Mrs. Norris that he can talk with, so he can be one place and she can be patrolling the halls somewhere else to catch students. If she catches you, he'll be there in a second.”

“Sounds like a good person to avoid then,” Scott says. “But what are Thestrals?”

“They're a type of horse, but they're black, they have wings, and they look something like walking skeletons.” Harry says, “Only people who have been touched by death can see them.”

“Whoa.” Scott says, “That's just freaky.” Scott turns and grins at Greta. “Wonder if you'll be able to see them?” Greta just snorts at him, taking a second sandwich from Ginny, who opens her mother's basket and starts handing more food around.

“Greta?” Harry asks.

“I'm not a total innocent, Harry, even before today.” Greta says sadly. “I've seen people die before, it's not pretty.”

“No it's not,” Remus agrees. “But it happens, and eventually, you move on. You never forget, but the pain gets easier every day.”

“Did the problem we had earlier put us behind schedule?” Hermione asks, brushing off her hands. “I'm looking forward to getting back to Hogwarts.”

“You're always looking forward to getting back to Hogwarts.” Ron grumbles. “Personally, I enjoyed not having to deal with teachers for a few weeks.

“Harry,” A voice calls from the door as Percy knocks peremptorily and pushes it open before anybody can say anything. “My father just sent an emergency message by owl, it appears there was an accident at Little Whinging.”

“The Dursleys?” Harry asks, standing up and taking the letter. His face falls as he begins to read.

“I'm afraid they found four bodies there. It looks like they've been dead for a couple of days. The neighbors called when they started noticing a strange smell. It looks like they've been . . . tortured. They were looking for you originally, until a neighbor reported that you had left a couple of weeks ago to spend some time with classmates before school began. The Ministry has taken over the case.”

“Harry,” Hermione asks, tugging at his arm. “Was it Death Eaters?”

“I don't know, the report doesn't say.” Harry looks at Percy, who nods. “It would appear so, there was a mention from one of your neighbors of 'strange men in strange clothes, some type of 'furriner'” he says sarcastically, “hanging around the house. They've identified three of the bodies as your aunt, uncle, and cousin, but they don't know who the other woman is.”

“Aunt Marge, Uncle Vernon's sister.” Harry says softly as Remus pulls him into his arms for a hug. “It has to be, she arrived for Dudleykin's birthday celebration before I left. Why would he kill them now? He has to have known I wasn't there?” He buries his face in Remus' chest, letting his tears flow as Hermione motions everybody out of the compartment with a sharp movement of her head. “It's not fair, they wouldn't have been able to fight back. Why did he kill them too, he's already killed my parents.” Harry shakily sits up, wiping his eyes on the back of his hands. “I want him to pay for what he's done to me and the others.” He says, his face hard as a rock.

/Granted./ Greta says in an ice cold mental voice, echoed seconds later by Garfield, Ares, Joxer, and Hades. /Don't worry Harry, he will pay for what he's done to you and the others. Oh, I promise, he will pay!!!!!/

Remus looks through the open door of the compartment, catching Greta's eye. She calmly nods at him.
~ ~ ~
Percy quietly writes a note, fastening it to Errol's leg before letting him go. “Harry, Dad's going to meet you at Hogwarts tomorrow and take you back to London so you can make . . . arrangements.” He says quietly, knocking on the door and coming in when both Remus and Harry look at him. “He says that the Headmaster's already agreed to let you out for a week so you can take care of things. Ron and Hermione will get your assignments for you.”

“Thank you Percy.” Remus says quietly. Percy nods, sliding out of the compartment and shutting it behind him. A 'do not disturb' sign is put up on the door and he turns to the others. “Go find something to do for a few hours until they says it's okay to come back in.” He orders, heading back to his compartment.

“Damn, Percy was almost human there. Scary.” One of the twins smirks.

“Hermione, can you tell me a little about what I can expect from classes. What's this herbology class?”

“The study and care of plants.” Hermione says, “you learn how to grow the herbs that are used in potions and since most wizarding families have gardens, it's pretty much used everyday.” “Unlike most of the other stuff.” Ron says, over her shoulder.

“Ron,” she hisses.

“It's true, tell me that you are going to be brewing potions everyday., or history or magic, or astronomy.?”

“No, but when you cook it's like brewing potions. You want to make sure you get the right ingredients in your meal or you get food that tastes awful or gives you food poisoning.” Hermione says, rounding on her friend. Ron holds up his hands in a 'I give up' gesture. “And if you enjoy stargazing, you use astronomy. Men.” she flounces off to find her dorm mates to talk about the new girl at school. Ron and the twins smirk as each other.

“Now, you two would have to be good at potions, if you want to open up that joke shop you've been talking about for years, but other than that I can't see potions as anything but a waste of time.”

“Really Mr. Weasley,” a voice purrs over his shoulder. “My class is a waste of time? You seem to enjoy my company almost too much, as many detentions as you've had with me the last two years.” A hand reaches out and places it on his shoulder. He gulps and slowly turns around, growling as he sees his laughing brothers behind him.

“I hate you.” he stomps off, going to find Neville and the other third year Gryffindor boys. Fred and George exchange smirks behind him as they go off to find their own year mates, leaving Scott and Greta alone to exchange smirks. With these guys around, it looks like this school year won't be too bad after all.

“So, you read up on what the different houses are at Hogwarts?” Scott asks, leaning with his back against the railing as he looks at his cousin. “I thought it was like pledging a frat at first, until they said something about being sorted into a house.”

“Yeah, students are sorted into houses depending on their personalities. Gryff's are brave, noble, etc, Slytherins are sneaky, kinda evil, and mean. Ravenclaws are the nerdy nerd kids who love learning, and Hufflepuff's are the happy kids.”

“Happy kids?”

“They're the ones who love to give hugs, always have a smile on their face, think high school cliques without the bad girl leading them.” Scott shudders. “Happy kids.” Greta smirks.

“So either Slytherin or Gryffindor?” he asks, looking as the door opens. He winks as Harry begins to open his mouth, making a gesture for the two coming out of the compartment to stay quiet a little while longer. “You are pure-blooded, after all. Slytherin would be the place to go.” He smirks.

“I'm not that snarky and evil,” Greta smacks his shoulder with a smirk. “I'd have to end up knocking a few heads together and taking over the house. Starting with Draco, he seems to be the type of who has to live up to his family's ideals. First of all, I'd tell him to get rid of his bodyguards, stop looking at everybody based on their family, and live for himself, not for his family. I have the feeling the little turd wants power.”

“Yes, he does.” Harry says quietly from behind them. Scott smirks at the expression of Greta's face. “Do you really think if he gets away from his family, he might turn into a nice guy? Lucius Malfoy's not the nicest person in the world, and from what I've heard about his mother, she's not the best influence in his life.”

“He sounds like a couple of the kids I've run across at society functions in America.” Greta snorts. “Father's a big businessman who runs rampant over the family, demanding the kids live up to his ideals. May or may not be a crook who has the authorities after him. Mother, or stepmother frequently, is a trophy wife who leaves the kids to do what they want. No real good influence in the family, they become little thugs.”

“Exactly.” Remus says. “Lucius attended Hogwarts the same time I, Harry's parents, and a couple of friends went to school. He was a prat then, and he's just gotten worse in the years since.”

“Well, then the first thing I need to do is separate Draco from his bully boys.” Greta says. “They're just reinforcing his 'I'm better than everybody else because I'm a Malfoy' attitude.”

“How do you plan on doing that?” Harry asks, as Remus raises an eyebrow.

“From what I've read and the others have said, your class is a double class with Slytherin, right?” Remus nods. “I know it's traditional that the houses are separate in class, but it might be better if you put the students in groups, mixed by houses and strengths and weaknesses. Having to work together in class will get him used to working with people who aren't his 'clique' and especially if you assign papers that have to be done as a group, under the Librarian's eye. That way they have to work together, they learn each other strengths and weaknesses, and he learns power isn't everything.”

Harry looks at Remus, who nods, thinking it over. “It might work, especially with the fact that you're attending Hogwarts, and your family is older and more powerful than the Malfoy's. Once Malfoy senior learns that an Agios-Dynameostis is attending Hogwart, he'll tell his son to get as close to you as possible, to both of you.” He says, looking from Scott, to Greta, and back again.

“Oh, that won't be a problem.” Scott leers. “I won't mind getting closer to that yummy little bod.”

“Bad Scott, bad Scott,” Greta whaps him on the shoulder. “You've already got a man at home, and he's only thirteen besides.”

“Much too young for me then, and Tooey would get pissed if I tossed him over for a younger man.” He says, sighing theatrically. Greta snickers.

“He would get drunk if you tossed him over for a younger man?” Harry asks, not quite understanding.

“That too,” Greta snickers “American slang Harry, Scott means that Tooey would be quite upset and might lose his temper if he found another lover while he's at school. If you're pissed in the UK, it means you're drunk.”

“He's cute,” Scott admits, becoming serious. “But he's much too young for me.”

“Yup, but it will give us a few years to turn him into a human being before he leaves school.” Greta says calmly.

“Professor Lupin, I have a question and I don't know who to ask.” Greta says, looking at the teacher. “I'm an animagus, and I need to know if I have to register while I'm at school, even though I'm an American?”

“I think you should, just to be safe.” Harry says, “I'll ask Ron's Dad when we arrive at Hogwarts.”

“Ask my dad what?” Ron says, coming down the aisle. “Harry, you okay?” he asks, clapping his friend's shoulder.

“Whether or not I should register as an animagus at the Ministry. I don't want the school getting in trouble if I shift suddenly.” Greta says softly.

“Talk to the Headmaster, he may bring somebody in to register you.” Ron says. “I can see one of the Slytherins turning you in as illegal just because you're not one of them. I know Percy would turn you in, he lives to follow the rules. Tell McGonagall when we get to Hogwarts, she'll probably let you go with Dad to register.”
~ ~ ~
“I'd rather talk to McGonagall, I don't trust the headmaster any further than I can throw him.” Greta snorts. “He was too damn pleased with himself to have me as a student, by far. I could almost see him licking his lips when he first saw me.” Greta says, heading back into the compartment and shutting the door firmly behind her.

“I got a question, if there's only seven classes the first two years, why did I come out of the store with over 30 books, and Greta came out with nearly a hundred?”

“We got the refresher and late bloomer books as well as the texts for year two and the required books for year three in case we test out of any first year classes.” Greta rolls her eyes. “I also got some books on wandless magic, since that's what I'm familiar with.”

“You do wandless magic?” Harry asks, his eyes wide. “Isn't that hard?”

“It's what I'm used to Harry, I wasn't even fitted for a wand until last week, and poor Ollivander had a heck of a time fitting me.” Greta says, pulling her wand from the hidden pocket of her jacket. “I think we must have gone through every wand in the store before he found one he was satisfied with. I still don't know what I'm supposed to do with it, but I suppose I'll learn at Hogwarts.” Greta shrugs, sliding it back in her pocket.

“Don't let on that you can do wandless magic.” Harry says, looking in her eyes. “It will be safer.” Remus nods in agreement. “And don't let anybody but McGonagall know you're an animagus. She can give Ron's dad the forms when we get back to the school.” Remus nods again.

“Okay, I think I understand. And since the first year students just got their wands, so me fumbling with it for the first few days won't seem out of place.” Greta says.

“Right, let's teach you two a couple of the more simpler charms.” Remus says, dropping onto one of the benches, pulling Harry down beside him and waving the others to the other bench. “Take out your wand, hold it in whatever hand is more comfortable for you, swish it in the air, and say 'luminos' “ Scott squeaks when his wand begins glowing. “Say 'nox' and it will go out.” Harry says with a smile. “Nox.” the pair repeat, Greta calmly, Scott in a still shaky voice. Scott's wand begins blinking.

“Say it again, Scott, firmly this time.” Remus say, putting a hand on the younger man's shoulder. “Nox.” he says again, more firmly, and the wand goes out.

“Well, that's handy in a power outage.” Greta smirks. “What do you guys use for lights after the sun goes down at the school?”

“The castle's magical, lights come on when you enter a dark room and turn off when you leave. In the bedrooms, there's usually a small light that burns all night so you can get up to go to the bathroom if needed, but the lights usually go off when you go to sleep.”

“Cool, no more falling over stuff walking back to bed after turning the light off.” Scott says.

“One thing about the castle, it changes a lot, so don't be surprised when stairs start moving directions or vanish leaving you stranded on a landing, doors and rooms appear or disappear, or a room will be bigger on the inside than it appears on the outside.” Harry says. “The expanding spell is used a lot in wizarding homes, to add extra rooms without making the appearance of the house or flat different from the outside.”

“Do we have to make our beds and clean our rooms?” Scott asks.

“Nope, the house elves do all the cleaning, laundry, and cooking at the school. Have somebody show you the way to the kitchen, the house elves are used to students sneaking down for snacks. Let them know if you've got a paper due or are studying for a test, they'll bring you up a tray of food whenever you need one. All you have to do is call for an elf, and they're there.” Harry says.

“What's Quidditch?” Scott asks, “I saw the store in Diagon Alley, but Uncle Joxer didn't stop there when we were shopping.”

“Quidditch is the wizarding world main source of entertainment, much like baseball is in the muggle world.” Remus says with a grin. “It takes place in midair on brooms, the players follow a ball in midair they try to catch.”

“Brooms?” Scott squeaks, “you mean like in the legends?”

“Yup, that's one of the few things muggles got right First year students are taught to fly at school, and may elect to try out for their house's quidditch team in their second year. Harry here is the first first year in a hundred years to join a quidditch team. First years aren't allowed brooms of their own, if they want to go for a flight they have to use a school broom. Second year on you're allowed to own your own broom and bring it to school. Harry, Ron, Fred, and George play for Gryffindor's team.”

“Ohh joy,” Scott says rubbing his stomach, “I feel airsick already.”

“It's only one class for the first year students.” Harry says, smiling at him. “No books, no studying, just learning how to fly a broom. It's not for everybody.”

“Count me in the group of people it's not for, then. Greta might enjoy it though.”

“They don't use brooms at the American schools?”

“They might, my parents didn't teach me anyway.” Greta shrugs. “Like you said, it's just one class and I can stop if I don't like it. It's not like it's the main form of transportation in the wizarding world.”

“Nope, that the floo, portkeys, and apparating.” Remus says fondly.

“How hard is it to make a floo port?” Scott asks, “We don't have them in Las Vegas or New York, Uncle Joxer said something about making one while we were gone, I think that you need some sort of fire.”

“Yup, floos are fireplaces or anyplace outside where you can light a fire. “Fireplaces are a part of the wizarding world life, you cook on them sometimes, they heat the houses sometimes, and they're used for communication. Fireplaces are usually part of the floo network, you just throw a pinch of floo powder in, say where you want to go, and you're off. Most of the fireplaces at Hogwarts are locked so you can't travel on them, they're communication only. A few, mostly in Dumbledore's office, the teacher's lounge, or their private quarters, can be used for travel too. But, a floo can be forced open in case of an emergency so people can come through it.”

“What's a portkey?”

“It's a spell you can use on an object to travel somewhere where there isn't a floo or it's too far away to apparate.” Remus says, “It's an advanced spell, but basically you know where you want to go, take something you have, change it into the portkey, and away you go. When you're there, you can change the object back to normal. Apparating is another spell, you have to know exactly where you're going. It moves you, and like being an animagus, you have to register with the ministry and pass a number of tests.”

Remus smiles as the new student's questions calm Harry down, leaving him sleepily leaning against his side. “Do you know of an empty compartment nearby?” He asks the boy. Harry looks up and nods. “Why don't you go lay down for a few hours then?” he says, gently guiding him out of the compartment.

“Where's Harry?” Ron asks a couple minutes later, sticking his head through the now open door.

“The Professor walked him to an empty compartment so he could lie down.” Scott says, “come on in, we were just asking the professor and Scott some questions about school and the wizarding community in general.”

“Cool, anything else you wanted to ask?”

“The professor told us a little about quidditch, it's really a big deal in your world?”

“Ohhh yeah, hold on a sec.” Ron gets up and sticks his head out the window, “Ginny, get Fred and George will ya? Scott's got some questions about Quidditch.” Soon, the compartment is full again with four Weasleys talking over each other as they describe Quidditch to the newcomers.

~ ~ ~

The rest of the afternoon passes fairly quickly, with Ginny taking some food to the compartment where her brother is holed up with the other Head boys. They get everything cleaned up and put away as the lights begin coming on in the compartment, the others telling them they'll be arriving at Hogsmeade in about an hour. Greta shrinks the basket with the remaining food, stuffing it in her pocket.

The train pulls into the station and the students begins to get off. Ginny grabs Scott and Greta by the elbows, pulling them towards a huge man with a beard.

“Hello Hagrid, this is Greta and Scott, the two new first year exchange students from the United States.” She chirps. “Hagrid will get you and the other first years to school.” she calls over her shoulder, running to get in a carriage. Greta blinks.

“Can you see them?” Remus asks, looking at her while Harry gets in a carriage.

“Yeah, I can see them,” she says, “You can tell Harry he's not the only one.” /And I thought Dad had thought up some freaky animals./ she thinks. /Those guys look like something Strife thought up to scare drunks at 'Dite's orgies, those and pink elephants./

“Leave your familiars with the elves, kids, they'll be taken to your rooms once you're sorted.” Hagrid says, leading the way to the lake. “Everybody into a boat.”

“Oh hell,” Scott mutters, looking green already. Hagrid looks back at him. “Stomach don't like boats?” he asks, rummaging in a pocket.

“No sir,” Scott says, gulping.

“Don't sir me, I'm just Hagrid.” he says, pulling a vial out of his pocket. “There, you drink that it will settle your stomach until we get across.” He claps Scott on the shoulder as they get in the last boat, Greta grinning as the boat starts across the lake under its own power.

Greta recognizes Professor McGonagall waiting on the other side, gathering the first year students. “Professor, may I talk to you later? I need to ask your opinion on something.” She says.

“Certainly, Miss Logan. I am always here for a student.” McGonagall says calmly. “I see Madam Malkin was able to get your uniforms finished in time.” She smiles, brushing a piece of lint off her new students robes. “You will be the last two to be sorted since your case is special, maybe I can help you now.” she says.

“Professor, I'm what your wizarding world calls an animagus.” Greta says, “The others have told me that animagi need to be registered or they're considered illegal. Do I need to register, even though I'm an American?”

“Oh dear,” Professor McGonagall says calmly. “That is a question. Are you sure that. . .” Minerva's voice trails off as Greta changes in front of her eyes. “I have the paperwork in my office, I'll bring it to your room after the Feast and I can help you fill it out.”

“Thank you Professor,” Greta says, shifting back. Minerva leads the two new students out into the Great Hall.

“Hello Yummy,” Scott says, looking over at the table where the teachers are sitting.

“Who?” Greta asks.

“The tall piece of manhood with the black hair and sneer.” he says. Greta follows his gaze and grins. “Looks cute, but he could use a good shampoo and rinse.” she snickers as they're called forward.

“We have two exchange student this year from the United States..” Dumbledore announces. “Some of you have already met them on the train or at Diagon Alley while they were shopping for supplies. Because they are so much older than the traditional first years, they have been given their own rooms and will spend the first week studying and taking placement tests. Agios-Dynameostis, Greta.” He announces. Most of the students gasp at the name, those who don't recognize it are quickly filled in by their table mates as Greta regally stalks across the room, lowering herself gingerly on the stool as the hat is placed on her head. Long minutes pass until Greta lifts it off, looking at first the Headmaster, then Professor McGonagall.

“I think I broke it.” Greta says. “The hat says it can't place me in a house, not yet anyway.”

The Headmaster takes the hat, placing it on his own head.

“Students, for reasons that I cannot reveal at this time, Miss Agios-Dynameostis will not be placed in any specific house at this time.” He says, “I hope that you will accept her into your ranks regardless of House loyalties. Evil, Scott.” Dumbledore announces the last student.

“Ten to one, with that name he's going into Slytherin.” a voice says among the students.

“Evil? Is that really his last name?” another voice says as Scott walks across the room, taking the seat Greta vacates. The hat is placed on his head and is quiet for a few minutes, leading everybody to fear a repeat of the earlier sorting when the hat suddenly announces in a strident, ringing voice.

“GRYFFINDOR!!!!!!!”

/Oh dear,/ McGonagall moans silently.

“Miss Agios-Dynameostis, why don't you join your cousin and the others at the Gryffindor table for the time being.” Dumbledore says. “We can make more permanent arrangements later.”

Interlude: First night at Hogwarts: Getting settled into your new room, filling out paperwork, and upsetting the teachers without even trying. by josette grover
Greta catches McGonagall's eye as the Great Hall empties after dinner. She follows the teacher to her office, picking up a quill pen and filling out the paperwork under McGonagall's calm gaze. She finishes filling out the last form twenty minutes later and follows her out of her office, glancing at the map the teacher had given her with a smile, smirking as the sees the 'you are here note' and the rooms in the castle clearly marked.

“The map updates itself, so you never need to worry about becoming lost.” McGonagall smiles, leading the girl to her room. “Your belongings have been placed in your room. I will leave you to get settled. The bell for breakfast rings at 8 am, you may then return to your quarters to study or go to the library. The other teachers and I will arrange for you to take placement tests early next week.”

“Thank you Professor, “ Greta says quietly, walking into her room, then turning around and calling after the other woman when a thought hits her.

“Professor, how soundproof are the rooms? Like I said last week, I snore, quite loudly. I don't want to disturb anybody, especially a teacher. Am I permitted to put a soundproofing spell on my room?”

“Oh dear, I hadn't thought of that. Dobby?” She calls to thin air. A house elf immediately pops into view. “Dobby, would you please go get the headmaster? I forgot that Greta has told us that she snores. Greta wants to know if she has permission to put a soundproofing spell on her room so she doesn't disturb the others.” The house elf comes back about five minutes later with a note from Dumbledore.

“The Headmaster doesn't believe that your snoring is that bad to warrant soundproofing your room.” She says, reading the note. “If anybody complains, he will reconsider allowing you to do so.”

“Oh joy, good thing I brought my earplugs.” Scott mumbles from the doorway to his room. “I've listened to Greta's snoring before, I'm sleeping with the earplugs and a couple pillows over my head. Swat me if I sleep through my alarm?” He asks his cousin.

“Yeah, I'll wake you up if I need to.” She says.

“Girls are not allowed in boys rooms and vice versa. You may be in his sitting room, but not his private rooms. And you young man, may not enter your cousin's bedroom.”

“Why would I want to?” Scott asks, lounging in his doorway. “One, she's my cousin I've already seen her naked or next to naked, and two, I'm not interested in women that way.” Minerva blinks, going over his words before blushing. “Be that as it may, that is still the school rules. You may not break them while in school. I am sure that the other students will tell you of rooms and hidden areas that can be used for rendezvous.”

“Again, not an issue.” Scott says, “My man is home waiting for me in Las Vegas. I'll probably spend the two weeks we have off in bed, reconnecting.” Scott waggles his eyebrows as Minerva blushes and quickly leaves, leaving two snickering students behind.

“That was evil, Scott.”

“Hello, that is my name.” he snorts. “Can you help me get my stuff unpacked without anybody seeing you or should I ask Uncle Joxer to help get everything up and hidden?” He asks quietly in her ear. “Ask Dad to help, I've got to get my own stuff unpacked.” she says, heading into her room. A soft pop coming from his room causes Scott to head back in, finding Joxer sitting on the edge of his bed.

Greta goes into her room, opening the first lock on her seven padlock trunk, disclosing her school supplies. She takes a roll of parchment, a bottle of ink, the first year notes Hermione had copied for her, and her first year books out, enlarging them, and placing them on the desk before shutting the lid and opening the next lock, bringing out a nightgown that she places on the bed before taking out her toiletries and putting them in the bathroom.

The third lock discloses the supplies she'd brought in London, and she sets about enlarging the dorm fridge, cabinet holding the television, dvd player, and drawers of dvds, placing it in a corner of the room so she can see it from her bed. The freezer, microwave, and coffee maker go on another wall and she nods, setting the spells on the items so that only her or another god can see or touch them, and that's only if she's in the room. Purlina's litterbox is set up in a corner of the bathroom and she strips off her clothes, automatically checking her pockets and enlarging the basket she'd shrunk earlier, slipping into a tub full of hot water and soaking the aches of the train ride away before putting on her nightgown and crawling under the covers, shivering before she places a warming spell on them and reminding herself to ask if she can have the fireplace in her room lit and extra blankets. It may be only September, but damn those stone walls are cold.

The next morning, Albus looks up as all his teachers drag themselves to the teacher's table.

“What is the matter?”

“Young Miss Agios-Dynameostis snores, loud.” Snape snarls around a glass of pumpkin juice, glaring at the young woman in question when she comes into the Great Hall. “She kept all of us up last night.”

“She had asked to put a soundproofing charm on her room, saying that she snored but I didn't think that . . ..” Albus' voice trails off as Snape turns his glare on the other man. “You mean to tell me that she told you she snored, asked to put a charm on her room so that she wouldn't bother anybody, and you wouldn't let her? I heard her all the way from the dungeons.” Snape asks in the dangerously icy tone that every student has learned means 'get out of my sight before I kill you.'

“Minerva, I have changed my mind.” Albus says, wincing as every teacher except Hagrid glares at him in various levels of heat. “I believe that I will allow Miss Agios-Dynameostis to put a soundproofing charm on her room like she asked after all.”

“Thank you Albus,” Snape glowers at his pumpkin juice again. “I believe I speak for all the teachers when I say . . . Thank you!!!”
First day of School: Classes, studying, and tormenting the teachers. by josette grover
Greta smirks at the sour looks on the faces of the teachers, Snape looks in her direction and she quickly bends her head so they can't see the evil smirk that crosses her face until she can school her expression.

“Looks like you managed to get a few teachers upset at you.” Scott snickers, passing a plate as everybody begins eating. The others are looking at their schedules, and Greta opens a note telling her when the others would be testing her next week.

“I told Professor McGonagall I snored.” She says innocently, “the Headmaster is the one who wouldn't let me put a silencing charm on my room. I think they'll convince him that it's in everybody's best interest.”

“Miss Agios-Dynameostis, would you please see me after the meal?” Dumbledore says, tapping his glass for silence.

“God, I still hate that name. Think I can get any of them to call me Logan instead?”

“Nope,” everybody else at the table says in unison. “That is your proper last name, even if you choose to go by another name. And we only call students by their proper last names.” They say, almost by rote.

“Ahhh, heard it all before, huh?” Greta smirks.

“Lockhart.” The second year and on boys say in disgust as the girls glare at them. Everybody looks up as owls begin flying into the room, stopping at various students. A snowy white owl, larger than the largest owl in the school stops at Greta's plate, butting at her head for attention and holding out her leg so the package she carries can be unfastened.

“Hello Hooty,” Greta scratches Ares owl behind the ear tufts, having her butt her hand to scratch more. “Yes, I missed you pest. Has my father started missing me yet?” The owl hoots, seeming to nod vigorously before stretching out her neck and greedily eating the food Scott holds out for her.

“Yes pest, I missed you too.” Scott says when she butts his hand for more petting. “You heading back to Greta's parents or are you spending the day at the owlery?” Hooty hoots sleepily, taking off as soon as the package on her leg is untied and enlarged. Greta smirks, handing over a package for Scott. “Looks like Dad sent you a cloak, gloves, and boots for when it starts to really get cold.” she says, looking at the thick package of books and smiling.

“What did you get?” Hermione asks, craning her neck to see if she can get a look at the books.

“Copies of some older defense books from my parents private libraries, copies of the books the American schools uses,” The teachers perk up at their table, “and copies of some older books from our Great-Aunt's private library.” Hermione's eyes, as well as those of several teachers, light up. A note from Ares makes her smile, Hephaestus is already making a case for her books in her room, hidden under the same spell she used, that will grow as needed and can be shrunk to fit in her trunk.

“You named your owl Hooty?” Ron asks, snickering.

“She's my dad's owl, he got her as a baby when I was younger..” Greta shrugs, “Her hoots seemed larger than her body, so the name just stuck. She was a tiny little thing for a while, then she started putting on weight and started growing.” The bell rings to end the meal and everybody gets up, checking their schedules to head for their first classes as Scott and Greta, packages in their arms, walk over to Headmaster Dumbledore.

“Miss Agios-Dynameostis, I have reconsidered my decision last night, and I will allow you to put a silencing charm on your room with Professor Flitwick's help. Would it be possible for the teachers to look at some of the books your family has sent you, especially the textbooks the American schools use?”

“Certainly sir, if they want to look at them.” Greta says as one of the teachers catch her and Scott's attention.

“My name is Madam Hooch, Mr Evil, Miss Agios-Dynameostis, and I'm the flying teacher. I see the others told you about me?” she smiles when she sees Greta smirk evilly at her cousin, who's already looking a little green. “Hagrid told me about your touchy stomach, young man. I'll be seeing you later today for your flying class with the Gryffindors and Hufflepuffs.”

“Yes, Madam Hooch.” Greta and Scott say in unison as the teachers get up to head for their first class while the two new students head up to their rooms. Greta drops the open package of books on her desk and looks at the list of classes she will be tested on, deciding to start with the History of magic notes and textbook, looking up hours later at a knock at the door. She opens the door, finding Scott on the other side.

“Time for lunch, Greta.”

“Already?” Greta looks at her watch, “Damn, I lost track of time.”

“Figured you did, enjoy what you were reading?” he smirks. “Not really, I swear that has got to be the most boring book I've ever read, but with Hermione's notes and reading the book, I should pass the first year test with flying colors.” she mutters, rolling her eyes. “Can I come and study with you in your sitting room tomorrow? Maybe if I'm not the only one reading this stuff it won't seem so long.”

“Speaking of flying,” he says, smirking at her as they enter the Great Hall.

“Don't remind me,” she moans, settling in a seat across from Harry.

“Don't remind you of what?” the others ask, passing the food down to them.

“Scott and I have our first, and last, flying lesson this afternoon.” Greta says. “Madam Hooch says it's scheduled for after your afternoon class so that other students can come and watch.” Ron, George, Fred, and Harry all look interested, looking at each other as if to say 'we'll be there.'

“Try not to laugh too hard, guys.” Greta warns them in mock-severity. “The teacher will be watching after all and she can punish you for it.”

“Nah, Madam Hooch doesn't punish the students.” George and Fred say in unison. “Since this is a first year class she usually has a few older students around who offer to help. At least one kid always loses control of their broom and needs rescuing.”

“For some reason, that doesn't make me feel better.” Scott mumbles in his food.

“Flying isn't for everyone,” Hermione says soothingly, patting him on the shoulder. Scott gives her a sour look and she quickly changes the topic.

“Miss Agios-Dynameostis, please see me after the meal.” Professor Flitwick says, “I will help you with putting the charm on your quarters and I wish to quiz you on various charms you will be tested on later.”

“Certainly, Professor.” Greta nods, going back to her meal.

Greta leads her way back to her room, putting the silencing charm up under his instructions before dropping into the desk chair and going over the charms she's learned from the first year book.

“Very good, I won't need to test you after all. You've passed the practical course of my first year class. I will assign you papers every week, but you have shown me you are familiar with all the charms I teach to my first year students.”

“Thank you Professor,” Greta says, leaning against the door after he's left. “One down, six to go.” she mutters before pumping her arm in the air and shouting 'Yes!!!' before rolling on her bed under Purlina's calm gaze.

“I take it your session with the Professor went well?” Scott asks from the doorway to the sitting room, his bag on his shoulder.

“Yup, I just tested out of first year Charms, he'll be giving me a paper to write weekly, but otherwise I'm free from his class for the year.”

“Congrats, hope I do as well.” he says sourly. “What class do you want to go over?”

“Which one do you have a test in first?” Greta asks, “I have the feeling the teachers are going to end up tutoring us privately so we don't distract the other students. I know we're not going to get out of Potions, it's mostly hands on, papers, and tests.”

“That's what I was afraid of.” He mutters. “What about History?”

“Has to be the most boring book on the face of the earth.” Greta mutters. “But mostly it's readings, papers, quizzes, and a final exam at the end of the year.”

“So, we're thinking Herbology, Astronomy, Potions, and maybe Transfigurations for the classes we won't be allowed to test out of?” Scott asks.

“Yes, and Scott, don't goof off on this? The more you study now and ace the tests, the more free time you have this year.” Scott looks at her, then snickers.

“Thanks Greta, I hadn't thought about that. So, we're looking at private tutoring with some of the teachers a couple times a week, some papers, quizzes, and final tests at the end of the year. That doesn't sound so bad when you think of it that way.”

“Thought you'd see it my way. Now, let's go up to the library so we can see what we got to work with on research materials.”

~ ~ ~

Scott whistles softly when they walk into the school library, looking around. “Don't suppose they have a copy of playgirl hidden in the stacks?” he asks, nudging Greta with an elbow.

“Behave Scott, and start looking around. I suppose it's all magical books.” she says, looking around as the librarian appears out of nowhere.

“Welcome, I'd heard we had two older exchange students.” She says, “Can I give you a small tour? As you said, All the books here are magical, texts, resource books, and otherwise. Student's aren't allowed in that section, “ She points to a roped off section, “without a signed permission slip from a teacher. That's the restricted section, where the more dangerous books are kept where students can't get into them and hurt themselves or somebody else.”

“Just like any school library, nothing I'd ever want to read.” Scott mumbles as they leave the library, heading outside for their flying lesson. “Thank god we stocked up when we went shopping so we got something besides textbooks to read.”

“Yeah, we can make another book run when we break for Christmas.” Greta mumbles, walking over to where Madam Hooch is waiting for them with the other first year students. Greta takes her robe off, hot in the full sun, revealing she's wearing bike shorts and a t-shirt underneath the school robe. The others look at her in disbelief as she wraps her wrists.

“Okay students, stand by the broom so they're on your left.” Madam Hooch says, walking up and down the line of students making sure everybody has a broom.

“Your other left, Scott.” She hears Greta says from the other end of the line.

“Okay, now that everybody's got their brooms, hold you left hand, the side the broom is on, out at about the level of your waist and say up in a firm voice. The broom should come up and smack you lightly in the palm.”

“Up,” a chorus of voices say in ragged unison. A few squeaks can be heard as the brooms fly up and hit their hands. Scott looks over at Greta, seeing the broom almost vibrating in her hand.

“For those of you who have gotten your brooms flying, please mount on them and hover a couple feet over the ground while I work with the others. Miss Agios-Dynameostis, that is much too high for you to be hovering.”

“Sorry Madam Hooch, but if I hover any lower my knees are on the ground.” Greta calls over her shoulder. Ron and Harry snicker as they walk over.

“How do you steer these things?” She asks in a whisper.

“Turn the handle left or right to turn to the left of right, don't lean or you'll go in a spin. To go higher, say up, point the nose of the broom down to land.” Ron says, watching as one of the new students accidentally sends his broom rocketing skyward. Madam Hooch follows him, pulling him back to earth. “There's one in every class.” he says sagely, while the twins snicker.

“Miss Agios-Dynameostis, most young ladies fly side-saddle.” Madam Hooch calls over, seeing how her student was perched on the broom.

“Who said anything about being a lady?” Greta mutters under her breath, causing Ron to snicker again. “Up, you said?” she whispers. “You hold the broom steady to level off, turn the handle left or right to turn left or right, and point the tip down to land.” Ron says as softly, smirking as Greta takes into the air along with two or three other students. Ron and Harry turn their attention to Scott, talking him through a couple of laps around the pitch at ground level before getting on their brooms and leading him around the pitch at a higher level.

“Ron, Harry, I need to land before I hurl.” Scott moans, clutching his stomach. Harry takes hold of Scott's broom, forcing it to land. Scott wavers off the broom, walking a couple of steps before dropping to his knees, kissing the ground. “Anybody got some Dramamine?” he asks, face buried in the grass.

“What is Dramamine?” Madam Hooch asks Harry, who's snickering.

“It's a muggle product that when taken before you fly on an airplane, ride in a car, or go on a boat makes you less prone to motion sickness. I think that Hagrid gave Scott something to settle his stomach before he got on the boat.” Harry says, “Are you going to be okay?”

“I think I'm going to hurl.” Scott moans, his face looking a little green. “I liked flying, but my stomach didn't.” he mumbles, rolling over so he's lying face-up on the ground.

“Misters Weasley,” Madam Hooch waves the twins, who had been watching the flying class with Ron and Harry, over. “Please take Mr. Evil to the hospital wing while I try to get his cousin down.” Greta is currently flying loops around the castle, softly singing the last line from the Jetsons Cartoon. “Tell Poppy to give him something to settle his stomach and see if there's something that he can take to make sure his stomach doesn't become upset in the future. I will allow the two of you, your brother, and Mr. Potter to give them any more flying lessons if they are needed. And I wish the girl had been sorted into a house, I would love to see her playing Quidditch.” She mumbles, getting on her broom and trying to catch Greta.

Fred and George come over, pulling Scott to his feet and looping his arms over their shoulders before leading him towards the castle. They're nearly to the door when it opens and Professor Snape steps out.

“Are we not feeling well, Mr. Evil?” he asks, sarcasm dripping off each word. /No, I always look like hell./Scott snarks to himself, finally looking up from the ground he's been either holding onto for dear life or staring at since he got off the broom, suddenly upchucking all over the sneering professor.

“Sorry Sir, “ Fred and George say in unison, getting Scott moving again.. “He just had a flying lesson and his stomach's a little upset.” The door of the castle shuts behind them, leaving a fuming professor on the other end, dearly wanting to take away points from all three Gryffindors, but knowing he can't for an accident.

“I knew Strife teaching me to throw up on demand would come in handy some day.” Scott mumbles quietly, causing the twins to look at him in disbelief before cackling.

“Scott, I think that we're going to become real good friends.” George says. “How do you feel about pranks?”

“Love them, I saw a shop at Diagon alley that I wanted to go in, but Uncle Joxer just have me that 'Don't even think about it' look, and I was too busy to go back on my own. You teach me wizarding pranks and I'll teach you muggle ones?” he asks as they near the hospital wing.

“Deal.” the twins says quietly. “Madam Pomfrey, we've got a patient for you. He's just had his first flying lesson and he's feeling a little queasy, something called motion sickness. Madam Hooch wants to know if you can calm his stomach before he gets sick again and see if there's something he can take so he doesn't get sick. She's busy trying to get his cousin down, she asked us to bring him in for her.”

“Is his cousin the young woman currently flying around the castle?” Madam Pomfrey asks, casting an anti-nausea charm on Scott and getting him settled into a bed.”Do you feel like you're going to be ill again?” She asks Scott, who clutches at the sides of the bed.

“No, but the whole room feels like it's moving.” he complains.

“Ahh, I know what this 'motion sickness' is then.” She says, pulling a blanket over Scott. “I can't do anything for you right now, it will have to go away on it's own, but we've got potions you can take that will keep it from happening again.”

“Hagrid gave me something yesterday before we got on the boat.” he mumbles, opening one eye and closing it again when he sees the room whirling around him.

“It's a common remedy for these things.” She says soothingly, brushing the hair off his forehead. “I'll let you get up when you feel like the room's no longer spinning.”

~ ~ ~

Meanwhile, 50 feet or so up in the air, Greta's stretched out along the length of the broom handle to lessen the wind resistance and make herself more streamlined. Cackling, she makes another loop around the castle, looking back to see Madam Hooch coming up behind her. She can see Harry and Ron coming up in the distance, and with a pout, follows Madam Hooch's bellowed orders to slow down and descend immediately.

“Miss Agios-Dynameostis!!!” Madam Hooch begins bellowing when they're all safely on the ground. She grabs the broom from her hand. “I don't know whether I should be upset at your actions today, or more upset that you weren't sorted into a house. I haven't seen anybody handle a broom like that for the first time since Harry, and you'd probably be the second first year in a hundred years to join a house quidditch team. While I may not be able to take points from your house, I can and will assign you detention. Five hundred lines each. I will act like the lady I am, not a common ruffian. I will wear my school uniform at all times . . .”

“Don't have to, the Headmaster already said so.” Greta interrupts her. “Only when I'm in a classroom. I did agree to wear the robe over my clothes, but I didn't think I could fly in a robe” Greta says calmly.

“Okay, I will be talking to Albus about that. Be that as it may, you still have to write, “I will act like the Lady that I am, not a common ruffian, I will not fly laps around the castle, and I will obey Madam Hooch when she gives me an order five hundred times. They are due by breakfast tomorrow morning. And you will be seeing me after classes once a week for special training, I haven't seen anybody handle a broom like that their first time riding since Harry. One of you take her to QQS while you're on break, if she's that good on a school broom, she'll be magnificent on a good one.” She storms off the Pitch, leaving two boys watching her with mouths open in astonishment, and one girl, smirking.

“Man, I thought she was going to flay you alive, she was so mad.” Ron breaths once Madam Hooch is out of sight. “Are your Dads going to be upset you got detention this soon.”

Greta snorts. “My Dads are going to get the letter, and do one of two things. Either look at each other and ask 'What took her so long, she's been there nearly a whole day, or ask who won the pool?”

“Who won what?”

“Greta means that her family had a bet going on how long it would take her to get in trouble, Ron.” Harry snickers. “Each person would put some money in the pot, and whoever is the closest to whenever Greta got in trouble would win all the money.” Greta nods as she picks up her robe, tossing it over one shoulder as she follows the others to the castle, pausing when she feels a familiar presence.

“Be right with you, guys, I want to look at something a second.” She slowly makes her way to where she can feel Sirius Black hiding, radiating peace and reassurances. “Hello there, are you lost” she says quietly when she sees him. “Come with me, I've got a room in the castle where you can rest and get something to eat. Shh, keep quiet, I know you're not supposed to be in there, but I can hide you until we get to my room.” Greta promises softly, wrapping an illusion over him so he's invisible.

Sirius whines, leaning against her legs as she walks over to where Harry and Ron are waiting. “Greta, hurry up, Dinners in a couple of minutes.” Ron yells, wondering what is keeping their new friend.

“Go ahead without me guys, I'll probably have an house elf bring me something in my room. I'll probably be up all night writing lines anyway, I can use the hour to get some done.” Greta calls, waving a hand. “Can you ask Professor Lupin to see me after dinner? I have a couple of questions for him.” Sirius whimpers as he sees Ron and Harry run to the castle, his eyes following Harry until he's out of sight. He looks so much like his father.

Sirius follows Greta up a staircase, wondering what is the girl doing with a room by herself? He's not complaining though, as he drops onto a soft cushion she transfigures as she opens a basket, canceling the stop time spell he can feel on it, and puts some leftover sandwiches in front of him. He's wolfing them down as she settles down on the floor, chanting. His fur begins tingling as he feels magic wrap around the room.

“You may change if you want, Sirius. Anybody coming in would just see a plain room unless I will it.” Greta says. “I know who you are, why you are here, and what really happened. I'm here to help you.”
Sirius looks at her for a long moment before shifting. “I'll run a hot bath, you can clean yourself up while I'm at dinner,” she says calmly. “We can see about new clothes after you've cleaned up. Take the bed if you want to get some sleep. I'll probably be up most of the night writing lines.”

“Why are you doing this? You could be in serious trouble hiding an escaped prisoner. The Dementors are looking for me.”

“I've already met the Dementors, they put something on the track yesterday so the train would stop. I destroyed the ones attacking us on the train, I'll deal with any who show up here the same way.” she says. “As for why I'm doing this? Everybody's counting on Harry to destroy He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, and it's not fair for a 13 year old to have to fight for his and everybody else's lives. There's going to be some changes going on. ” Her stomach grumbles loudly. “And on that note I'm heading off to Dinner. I'll be back in about an hour, that will give you time to get a hot bath.” she waves at the bathroom as she gets up, pulling on her robe. “Better wear my robe, I already got one teacher upset at me.” She mumbles, shutting the door behind her, asking 'lina to keep an eye on Sirius.

“Madam Hooch, may I ask a question?” Greta asks, pausing at the teacher's table before heading to the Gryffindor table where Ron and Harry are leaning over the table, obviously telling Fred, George, and Scott what they missed after they left the Pitch earlier.

“Yes Miss Agios-Dynameostis?” Madam Hooch raises an eyebrow. “What was your question?”

“Is 'I will not fly laps around the castle. . .” Minerva spits out the drink she'd just taken, wiping her robes with a napkin. “ and, I will listen to Madam Hooch when she gives me an order one sentence or two? I wasn't sure and I didn't want to write the wrong lines.”

“It's one line, Miss Agios-Dynameostis.” Madam Hooch says calmly.

“Thank you Madam Hooch.” Greta says impishly, turning around and heading to the Gryffindor table where the others are waiting for her.

“Did Miss Agios-Dynameostis really fly laps around the castle?” Minerva asks.

“Yes she did.” Madam Hooch says. “Albus, I really wish that dratted Sorting Hat had put her in a house. The girl is a natural on a broom.”

“Somebody's going to get yelled at.” Scott smirks. “Not here even a day and already has detention.” He smirks.

“Madam Hooch already yelled at me, Ron and Harry were there, and my dads will probably just look at each other and ask what took me so long?” Greta snorts.

“I meant to ask, what was that you were wearing?” Ron asks, leaning closer to Greta.

“Bicycle shorts and a t-shirt.” Greta shrugs. “The shorts are designed to fit that way so you don't get wind resistance on long rides. I didn't want to wear anything that would slow me down. Anybody know how fast I was flying, anyway?”

“Pretty fast,” Ron says, “Harry and Madam Hooch have the better brooms and they were having a hard time catching up with you. The way you were laying on the broom helped.”

“I know.” Greta says smugly.

~ ~ ~

“Harry, not to bring up anything bad, but weren't you supposed to . . . “ Scott asks quietly.

“Ron's Dad is coming this weekend to take me back to London to make arrangements.” He says quietly. “The ministry doesn't want me to miss any school, so I'm going to be going back and forth on the weekends with Ron's Dad or an Auror until everything's taken care of.”

“Miss Agios-Dynameostis, do you still need to see me after the meal?” Remus asks.

“Yes sir,” Greta says, silently calling for Apollo to come to her room after dinner to check Sirius over and for somebody to bring the man a meal and change of clothes. Two mental touches she recognizes as her Great-Aunt Hestia and Apollo briefly touch her mind.

“You okay?” Ron asks as Greta's eyes seem to change color for a second.

“Yeah, she does that a lot.” Scott snickers, shoving a bowl in Greta's direction. “You get used to it.” He shrugs. “Pass the vegetables.”

“Bet Frau would never believe you'd willingly eat your veggies.” Grets smirks. “What will you pay me not to tell her?”

The table conversation turns to less serious topics, how Greta rocketed around the school on her first broom ride. Ron and Harry excitedly recount it for those who had missed it. Fred and George snicker as Ron recounts the irate teacher's reaction when they finally reached the ground.

“So you've got lines?” Fred says.

“For your detention?” George finishes.

“Well, since the Sorting Hat refused to place me in a House, she couldn't take points from me.” Greta shrugs. “So what happened to you after you landed?”

“I kissed the ground, laid there for a few seconds, and Madam Hooch had Fred and George take me to the hospital wing while she tried to get you down. I got sick on the way there, unfortunately, all over Professor Snape.” Scott says in a calm voice, but his twinkling eyes tell Greta the truth.

“We have got to have Unc 'Pol to look at your ears.” Greta says. “If he can't fix what's making you urp like that, nobody can.”

“You know I don't like asking favors like that.” Scott mutters. “The Doc Ma dragged me to when I was younger said I should outgrow it, eventually.”

“You're not asking the favor, I am.” Greta smirks. “He'll probably grab onto you anyway when we leave for the solstice break.”

“I hate you,” Scott mutters, without any heat.

“I know.” Greta smirks. “Dad says that's the sign of being a good person, how many people say they hate you, but don't mean it. If they do mean it, you're just an annoying busybody.”

Greta moans as the meal seems to drag on forever, wincing when the Headmaster gets up to start addressing the students. Gawd, and she thought Zeus could drone on.

“You need any help with your lines?” Ron asks, leaning over to whisper in Greta's direction.

“Nah, I've got it covered.” Greta smirks, while upstairs in her room a pair of quills are writing lines without human hands while Sirius looks on in disbelief and Purlina snorts, looking disgusted as only a cat can. Sirius slowly slides in the steaming hot water, relishing the hot bath for the first time in a very long while.

“Does he always go on like this?” Greta mutters in Ron's ear while eyes of various students begin glazing over.

“Yes.” Ron says in disgust while Hermione pokes him with an elbow, giving them a disgusted look. Greta gives her an icy look and she backs off, seeing the glare in the other girl's eyes. Meanwhile, at the teacher's table even they're beginning to fidget as the headmaster goes on, and on, and on. . . Suddenly, Dumbledore's voice is drowned out by a harsh, loud sound that's familiar to most of the teachers. The Headmaster turns to look at the Gryffindor table, finding Greta leaning back in her chair, head tilted back, eyes closed and mouth open. Another snore echoes around the Great Hall as some of the older students start snickering.

“Mr. Evil, would you please wake your cousin up?” Dumbledore says, glowering at the student in question.

“Hell no, sir, she hits.” Scott snorts. “You're the one who put her to sleep, you wake her up.” More snickers from the students, and a couple of muffled snorts from the teachers table.

“Mr. Evil, that was uncalled for.” Percy snaps, “Twenty points from Gryffindor for your rude comments. See me after the meal for the rest of your detention.”

“Overruled, Mr. Weasley.” Professor McGonagall's voice calls from the teacher's table. “Five points to Gryffindor for putting a stop to this rather rambling lecture. You will be seeing me about your own detention in the morning.” She says, “Mr. Evil, can you wake up your cousin? Everybody else, straight to your Houses unless you have astronomy tonight, the meal was over an hour ago. Professors Lupin and Flitwick, will you please examine the headmaster for any taints or possessions? He's not usually this . . . long-winded.” McGonagall says delicately as the Headmaster starts spluttering. Two spells bind and gag him as he begins lifting his wand. “Everybody, to your houses. Stay there until a teacher says otherwise.” She orders as the students, the younger ones beginning to cry, silently file out of the room.

“Do you need any help getting Greta up to her room?” Ron and Harry ask Scott as the rest of the Gryffindors head out.

“No, I'll be fine.” Scott says, waving his wand and levitating Greta into the air. She starts thrashing until he freezes her, his wand leading her out of the room as the teachers cluster around the frozen headmaster. Once they're out of the room, away from everybody else, Scott cancels all the spells, dumping Greta onto the floor. She twists in midair, landing on her hands and knees.

“What happened to him?” Scott asks quietly as they make their way to their rooms.

“I can't tell if it's a possession or not, but I could tell that wasn't the Headmaster. I don't know he was doing, but if he had been allowed to finish, he would have been able to take over the school, leaving it open to Death Eaters and You-Know-Who. That's why I started snoring, to break the spell he had on the others.” Greta whispers as they part outside her room.

Greta waits until Scott goes inside his room, feeling the wards she set around the two rooms wrap around him before walking inside, finding Hestia and Apollo waiting for her.

“Good timing, Greta.” Apollo snorts. “I was about to do something to break the spell he was casting before you started snoring.”

“Any idea what he was trying to do?”

“I'm not sure yet, but you're right, it would have left the school wide open for Voldemort and his followers.” In the corner of the room, dressed in new clean clothes and eating the meal, Sirius shudders. Hestia sees him, patting his shoulder reassuringly as a knock comes at the door. Greta turns and opens the door a crack, smiling when she sees Profesor Lupin, quickly pulling him in as the wards recognize him as friendly.

“What did you need to see me about?” he asks quietly, not noticing the others in the room yet.

“Moony?” Sirius asks, seeing his old friend.

“Padfoot.” Remus says, quickly walking across the room and hugging his old friend. “Thank God you're okay.”

“I found him in the Forbidden Forest this afternoon after my flying lesson.” Greta says. “What's the matter with the Headmaster?”

~ ~ ~

“We're not sure,” Remus admits, “He's rambling now. Poppy is examining him now, and we've called in healers from St. Mungos in case it's a spell or some sort of potion. If he were muggle, I'd say some sort of dementia, but we don't tend to have those types of diseases in the wizarding community.”

“He may be under the influence of somebody, I don't know for sure what he was casting, but he was performing some type of wandless magic on the students and teachers, probably to leave the school open to You-Know-Who and his Death Eaters.”

“Damn,” Remus says, pounding a hand against the wall, “I didn't want to admit it, but Minerva and the others have said that he's been acting oddly for some time now, probably for years.”

“Do you want me to take a look at him for you?” Apollo asks, looking at Remus. “I can pretend to be one of your healers or one of the teachers here if they're not in the room.”

“Thank you Lord Apollo, that way we can rule out anything physical.” Remus says as Apollo smiles and places a hand on his shoulder. “Lead the way.”

“Oh Unc, will you look at Scott too?” Greta calls as they turn to leave her room. “He's been getting motion sick a lot lately, and I was hoping you might be able to do something. I told him I'd ask you if he didn't, since the doctors Frau and Tooey took him to said he'd probably outgrow it.”

“Sure, it won't take me but a second to look at him.” Apollo says as Greta gives him an evil look, identical to Ares, and stalks out of the room, returning seconds later dragging her cousin by the ear.

“Here you go, Apollo, one urping cousin.”

“I hate you.” Scott mumbles, rubbing his ear. “Damn, your nails are sharp, I think you poked a hole in it.”

“Waa, waa, waa. Let Unc have a quick look at you before he goes to check on the Headmaster.” Greta smirks, dropping onto the desk chair with an ooph. “Aunt Hestia, will you make an extra room her for Sirius?”

“Certainly Greta, but why are your fathers laughing hysterically in the Hall of War?”

“Probably because Greta's already got detention in the form of lines.” Scott points to the scrolls still writing lines, “because she went on a joyride around the castle on one of the school brooms when we had our flying lessons earlier today.”

“Greta,” Hestia says calmly, rolling her eyes. “You haven't even been here a day.” she sighs, turning her attention to adding a few new rooms to the suite. Sirius looks on in amazement, getting up and standing on shaky legs as Hestia finishes. Apollo turns his attention from Scott, walking over and leading his other patient to bed, all but tucking him under the covers before running a fingertip over his forehead.

“Let him sleep himself out.” Apollo orders calmly, turning his attention back to Remus and following him out of the room. “I'll be back in a couple of minutes.” Apollo turns invisible before entering the hospital wing, only the touch of his hand on Remus' shoulder alerts the man that he's still there. Remus walks over to where Albus is lying on a bed, rambling. He looks up as Poppy stands across from him.

“Any news?”

“The healer didn't know what to make of it, they've asked me to take blood so they can run tests. Severus, the healer, and I have scanned him for traces of all the potions we're aware of. . . “ she shakes her head sadly. “I don't know what happened, he's been acting a little odd lately, especially since Mr. Potter started attending school, but this. . .?”

“Could somebody be influencing him somehow?”

“Yes.” A voice from the middle of nowhere says, and a man suddenly appears behind Remus. Madam Pomfrey doesn't even blink. “I feel something connecting him to somebody else, possibly Voldemort or one of his minions.”

“Hello, my Lord Apollo. Thank you for confirming what I had secretly feared.” Poppy says, bowing her head in supplication. “Can you tell how long he's been influenced? And is there a way to break it?”

“Your style of Magic isn't my strong point, let me call in Aunt Hecate. She may know a way.” He says, closing his eyes. Another figure appears in the middle of the room. “Auntie, he's being influenced by somebody else. Can you tell how long it's been happening, and who? I can't.”

Hecate strides over, Poppy moving out of the way so she can take her place across from the bed. She places one slender hand on his forehead, closing her eyes while Remus walks over next to Poppy.

“I didn't know you kept the old way, Poppy.” he says.

“I don't, not really, but my family has for generations and Lord Apollo the god of healing after all.” She says gently, looking at the werewolf. “And you?”

“My family's been one of theirs for centuries.” Remus admits shyly.

“Yes, and you should have come to us before now. We could have helped you with your condition.” Apollo says, rolling his eyes and mumbling about 'patients who don't bother to ask for help when they need it.' before turning his attention back to Hecate when she opens her eyes.

“At least two weeks, perhaps longer. I can't tell when it began, it's been shielded so well, it would allow him to function normally before taking complete control. It is Voldemort, though it's more like a compulsion rather than complete possession.”

“Then it's possible he knows Greta is here.” Apollo says, “Ares is going to be pissed.”

“Not who she is, but rather that somebody with great power is here.” Hecate says calmly. “Whatever the compulsion was, it was triggered by Greta's presence.

“Greta mentioned that Albus had seemed pleased to have her as a student at Hogwarts, not to teach her but rather so he could boast that he had so powerful a student attending his school.” Remus says. “That means he's coming for her, right?”

“And he's going to meet one very pissed off, over-protective God of War, an equally furious God of Death, and a God of Peace who makes both of them look like pikers.” Apollo snorts. “Not to mention Greta.”

“He always attacks in the spring, so we've got most of the year to make our plans.” Remus says quietly, beginning to pace. “We're going to have to protect her, Voldemort will be expecting it once he finds out that we know he's been influencing the Headmaster. Is there a way to free him from his influence?”

Apollo places his hands on Dumbledore's head, shaking his own head sadly. “None that I can see. Auntie?” She checks him again, shaking her head as well. “These type of compulsions only die with the person who placed them. Anything else would leave him still open to their influence.”

“What do we do now, then?”

“Keep him comfortable somewhere.” Hecate says, “It looks like Minerva will be taking over the school until this can be settled and he can be released. I can't tell one way or the other if he will recover from this unharmed.”

“Should we arrange to put him in St. Mungos?” Poppy asks, “In the same ward with Lockhart and the Longbottoms?”

“I'd have to say yes, they have the facilities and staff there to care for him.” Apollo says. “Hopefully your Ministry will allow Minerva to take over the school without too much of a fuss.” Madam Pomfrey nods, placing a floo call to make the arrangements needed. “Now, I'm off to see if I can cure Scott's ears so he isn't ill all the time and then I need to tell Ares, Joxer, and Hades what happened.”

“No need,” an icy calm voice says, as Ares, Joxer, and Hades appear in the middle of the room. “Greta told us that the Headmaster had been acting strange, we knew something was up when you called for Aunt Hecate. Who do I need to kill for threatening my child?” Ares growls.

“Chill dad,” a female voice says as another glow appears in the room, heralding the arrival of a new student Poppy recognizes as the one who had broken the spell Albus had been casting and the young man she'd had earlier as a patient. Scott holds a hand over his mouth, looking decidedly green, and Poppy ushers him to a bed, holding a basin for him as he becomes ill. Apollo rolls his eyes and walks over, placing his hands on his 'nephew's head. “I see. Scott did you have a cold recently?”

“I had a case of the sniffles a couple weeks before I got the news about school, why?” Scott moans, holding his head. Poppy pushes him down onto the bed, covering him with a blanket.

“You've got some blockage in your inner ears, and it looks like a sinus infection. Once that clears up, you won't be getting ill so often.” Apollo says calmly as his hands start to glow from their spot on Scott's head. “I just fixed your other problem, let Poppy take care of the blockage, and you'll be 110 percent again.”

“Thanks, Uncle Apollo. I really liked flying earlier, even if my stomach didn't.” He mumbles, beginning to nod off. “Think Mom and Tooey would freak if I got a broom?”

“Do you have something to clear up that sinus infection?” Apollo asks Poppy, who nods. “Okay, I'll leave him in your capable hands then.” He smiles. “Ares, go put Scott to bed. Whoever comes to get Albus doesn't need to find all of us hovering.” he waves everybody off as Ares picks a sleepy Scott up in his arms. Poppy hurries off, coming back with a potion that she places in his lap. “Have him drink this tomorrow morning, and see me every day for a week, and we'll clear that blockage right up.” she says, patting Scott's face fondly as he's carried from the room.

The healer from St. Mungos arrives, and he and Poppy briefly confer, before allowing Remus to cast an illusion on Dumbledore before they remove him through the floo, making sure that nobody who was not a teacher or the Healer knows that Dumbledore has been incapacitated, including the Ministry or Voldemort's spies.
First week of school, settling into cliques, and getting adjusted to the new Headmistress. And, oh yeah. . . classes!!! by josette grover
Madam Hooch smiles as Greta drags herself up to the teacher's table, placing a roll of parchment in front of her before walking over to the Gryffindor table and dropping into a seat across from her cousin as the mail owls begin flying in, Greta groans when two owls arrive at her seat. Ron smirks as he hold out snacks for them while she opens the letters.

“Bad news?” Scott asks, looking over.

“Yeah, seems the US government is still trying to take over the American schools, turning the students into soldiers. They've been sniffing around New York and Vegas looking for us. . .” Minerva, proving that the students are right when they say she can hear a pin drop at a hundred yards or a student whispering, looks over as the teachers and all other students in earshot begin whispering. “They want us to stay here over the Christmas break, there's rumors that something is going to go down and they want us safe. They'll try to come over for a day or so during the break to visit.”

“Miss Agios-Dynaemostis, please see me after the meal.” Minerva calls, glaring at the students until they stop talking and turn their attention back to eating.

“Won't the American Ministry do something about the government?” Hermione asks.

“The Americans don't have a ministry, which may be part of the problem. They just have overlords in certain areas, and the government is trying to take over the schools. Which is one of the reasons why my fathers decided to have me tutored at home.” Greta smirks as she can hear Ares growling from Mount Olympus.

“Dammit,” Ares growls as he summons his armor on Mount Olympus. “I hate having to deal with asshole bureaucrats. In the old days, if a warlord pissed me off, I'd just kill them and put somebody new in their place. It will take me weeks to clear up this mess.”

“Wahh, wahh, wahh,” Joxer smirks as Ares storms out of the temple, off to grab Athena and Hecate so they can go pound some heads in. “You enjoy it and you know it.”

Hades smirks, writing a note to his staff letting them know Ares was on a tear and they may be getting some new arrivals very shortly. “He was getting bored waiting for Voldemort to make his appearance this year.” Joxer nods. “Any word on how many of those hidden soul pieces of Voldemort's have been found so far.”

“One that we know of, the journal that possessed Ginevra Weasley.” Joxer says, checking his notes. “The journal was destroyed, but still needs to be destroyed by either you or Ares before the soul piece can be regenerated.”

“Actually, I think Ares wanted to destroy them in front of him, proving that he can't wiggle away like he has every other time.” Joxer snorts. “According to what we've found out about him, that leaves five more we need to find and 'acquire',” he says delicately. “Hermes and Autolycus will be glad to get into practice stealing important stuff again. They've been complaining nothing is difficult anymore, and it's not worth stealing.” Hades snickers.

Meanwhile, back at Hogwarts Greta waits for the others to trail out to their first classes and Madam Pomfrey takes Scott up to the hospital wing to check his ears again.

“Miss Agios-Dynameostis, you were saying something about the American government trying to take over the schools?” Minerva asks, leading her to her office.

“Yes, Professor McGonagall, I believe that's why my fathers had Scott and I come to Hogwarts instead of having him tutored like I was.” Greta says, pulling out the letter her father had sent for whoever was in charge. “Here's a letter from my father, he asked me to pass it on to the headmaster, but since he's not here this morning . . . “ Greta says, handing the thick letter over, watching the Professor's face get more and more pinched as she reads the letter from America.

“Miss Agios-Dynameostis,” Minerva smiles inwardly as she sees Greta wince at the continued use of her family name. “Would it be possible to talk further with your fathers?” Greta looks at her with her head tilted to one side, eyes beginning to glaze over as she silently calls to her fathers. /Dad, you awake?/

/Yes, Greta?/ Steven Dayton asks, looking up from the bed, reaching over and turning off the alarm clock as Vernon grumbles beside him.

/I just got your letter, would it be possible for Professor McGonagall to talk to you about the government trying to take over the American schools?/

/Sure, give me a couple minutes to put some pajamas and a robe on. Who do I call on the floo?/ he asks getting up.

Greta's eyes clear back up as Minerva is just about to summon Poppy. “My dad wants to know who to call on the floo.” she says. /You didn't tell me we were on the floo network./ Greta whines.

/Greta, we're not./ Steven says with a snicker as Vernon wakes up, blinking. /I'm lighting a candle and using that to talk with. Now, the address?/

/Hogwarts School, Professor McGonagall./ Greta repeats what the Professor tells her, snickering as Vernon grumbles, pulling the blankets back over his head, rolling over and going back to sleep.

/What happened to the Headmaster?/

/His mind went bye-bye,/Greta says /I had to stop him from casting on the students last night by snoring loud enough to break the spell he was casting./

“It will be a couple of seconds. He has to go light a candle to use as a floo.” Greta tells the Professor with a smile. As if on cue, a face appears in the Professor's fireplace. “Hi Dad,” Greta chirps.

“Hiya squirt,” Steve says, looking at his daughter fondly as a yawning Vernon, stretching and rubbing sleep from his eyes walks into the room.

“Hey Dad, sorry to wake you two up so early.” Greta smirks, watching her other father walk in the room and head immediately for the coffee maker bubbling in the background.

“You didn't, the alarm had just went off.” he says, looking at the other woman. “Minerva? Minerva McGonagall?”

“Stefan, Stefan Miller?” Minerva asks, shocked, recognizing an old schoolmate. “You don't look a day older than when we graduated.”

“You went to school here too, Dad?” Greta asks. Stefan snorts at his daughter. “Of course I did, you don't think you're the only one your Great Aunt's got her claws on, did you?”

“My God, Minerva, it's been years.” Vernon says, looking over his husband's shoulder. “Don't tell me you're already in trouble, Greta, it's only been a little over a day.”

“Too late,” Steven snorts at his husband. “Greta already took a joyride around the school on a broom.”

“Why am I not surprised?” Vernon says, rolling his eyes. “She is your daughter after all.” he snorts.

“What can you two tell me about the situation in America?” Minerva asks, folding her hands on the desk. “Greta gave me the letter she was sent since I'm temporarily in charge of the school.”

~ ~ ~

“Then you have pretty much the entire story.” Steven says. “The Military has slowly been trying to take over the schools for a while, one reason why we started tutoring Greta ourselves when she first started showing signs of magic and got Scott immediately out of the country when he broke out.”

“Believing that the military wouldn't be able to get their hands on them while they're here at Hogwarts and giving the American schools time to deal with the military.”

“Right, which is why we sent the owl yesterday that the kids may have to stay at Hogwarts if this isn't taken care of by Christmas. There's been some reports that everything is going to be coming to a head in a couple of months, the Military has a list of those who they want at all cost. Greta has been at the top of their list for a while, and now Scott has caught their attention.”

“Fuck.” Greta says calmly.

“Language, Miss Agios-Dynameostis.” Minerva says primly, though you can tell by the set of her mouth she agrees with her.

“Agios-Dynameostis?” Vernon asks with a snicker. “It is the family name.” Greta sighs. “Though it's not as bad as hearing Loganne Daytonne de la Sinclair every other second.” Minerva looks at her. “My full name is Gretalynn Mariette Louiseth Loganne Daytonne de la Sinclair, which is why I prefer to go just by Greta Logan.”

“Yes,” she smiles, “I can see where that would be a mouthful to say all the time. Agios-Synameostis is shorter, but not by much.”

An hour later Greta leaves Professor McGonagall's office, finding Scott impatiently waiting for her just around the corner. “What's going on?” he asks, grabbing her elbow as they head up to their rooms.

“The American government is going ape-shit.” Greta mutters. “They want the American school students to work for them. I've been on the top of their 'must have, won't take no for an answer' list since I first started showing magical potential.” Scott snorts as the understatement. “And you've been on it when they discovered that you have broken out.”

“Which is why we may have to stay here for Christmas.” He says calmly, inwardly wanting to scream. “Come with me.” Greta orders softly, grabbing his elbow. “There's something supposed to be the room of requirement, it becomes whatever you need somewhere around here. You need somewhere to scream, rant,throw things, and kick the furniture until you feel better.”

“Come with me.” a voice says calmly. Greta turns to see Professor Lupin behind them, following him down an deserted hallway to a blank wall. He touches it and a room appears. Greta grins as she looks inside, pushing Scott in, letting him vent.

“Thanks,” Greta says, listening to him curse. “He needed this and I didn't want him getting in trouble.”

“What about yourself, don't you want to do the same thing?”

“I think I'd probably blow the castle up if I vented like I wanted to. Uncle Heph always has stuff that needs to be broken into small bits, I'll go do that later and scream.”

Scott comes out an hour later, soaked with sweat and breathing harshly. Professor Lupin pushes him towards his set of rooms as the bell rings signaling the ending of a class. Greta looks at her watch, seeing it's nearly time for lunch. Greta knocks on the door before sticking her head inside.

“Yes Ms. Agios-Dynamaestosis?” Professor Lupin asks, looking around the door.

“Just wondering if I should ask one of the House Elves to bring Scott up something for lunch or if he was going to come down to eat?”

“Have them bring me something please?” Scott says over the sound of running water. He comes to the door of the bathroom, “I'm going to get a hot bath, get something to eat, and maybe take a nap. I feel like I've just run the marathon.”

“You probably have, at least in terms of magic.” Greta says, touching him long enough to give him a small burst of energy, just enough so he doesn't fall asleep in the bathtub and accidentally drown himself. Bigglesworth looks up from his spot on the bed and gives her the feline equivalent of a grin. Greta gives him an identical smirk, appearing to pull a small bag of cat treats from her pocket and tossing a few on the bed. He immediately jumps on them, purring loudly. Greta walks over and scratches him behind the ear, feeling a light coating of fur beginning to grow in. “Looking a little scruffy there aren't ya cat?” He gives her the mild version of the feline death glare and ignores her, curling back up in the middle of the bed.

“Miss Agios Dynamaeostis, have you had a chance to go over the first year Defense book and notes?”

“Yes Professor Lupin, I have. Do you want to test me on it this afternoon?” Greta smirks, hearing a moan from the direction of the bathroom even over the sound of running water. “Oh relax Scott, it's not half as bad as History of Magic, that shit was boring.” She snickers.

“As a teacher, while I can't say I appreciate hearing a student complaining that a class is boring, as a former student I agree heartily.” Professor Lupin says with a smile. “Have you met Professor Binns yet?”

“Just in passing, he's told me to come to his classroom tomorrow and he'll give the first year test.” Greta says in a mocking tone. 'Not that I expect you to pass it, I will however allow you to take your assignments out of class so as not to bother the other students.' Scott snorts as he comes out of the bathroom, rubbing his hair with a towel. “I've already talked to him, and can I say it's more than a little freaky talking to a ghost, he agreed with me that there's no way I could pass the test. He's going to be giving me the assignments for the week on Monday, and I'll be handing in my work the following week.”

“Have either of you met with Professor Snape yet?” Professor Lupin asks with a grin. Twin moans answer the question. “We have to see him tonight. He's already said he will not allow us to disturb his classes, he will be teaching us either during his free periods or at night while the others are serving detentions.” Greta shrugs, “Reminds me of Aunt 'Cate when she's in a pissy mood.” Scott snickers.

“He ain't got anything on Aunt 'Cate when she's in a mood, and I'll tell him that.” Greta snorts. “I've got the History of Magic test tomorrow, Professor McGonagall wants to go over Transfiguration with me, and I've got first year Herbology with the Ravenclaws and Astronomy with the Hufflepuffs.” Scott moans looking over the schedule he'd been given. “Crap, thanks for reminding me, I've got Herbology this afternoon.”

Greta heads down the stairs, pausing long enough to call for a House Elf and ask them to bring Scott up lunch, before heading into the Great Hall and sliding into an empty spot at the Gryffindor table.

“Greta, where's Scott?” Ron asks, passing her a bowl of salad. Neville passes her the meat and bread.

“He's taking lunch in his room, he spent a couple of hours having a fit when he found out what the American Government was up to.”

“He had a fit? Did you call Madam Pomfrey?” Neville asks. “Is he okay?”

“American slang, Neville.” Greta says soothingly. “What I mean is when he found out he became upset. Professor Lupin,” I nod to the Professor as he comes into the Great Hall, taking his spot at the teacher's table, “found us a quiet room where Scott could swear, kick the furniture, and throw things until he calmed down. He'll be fine.”

The others look at me in disbelief, but the conversation soon turns to other topics, what classes the others have and when, what teachers have already passed out major homework assignments, etc.

“Miss Agios-Dynameostis, please see me after the meal.” Professor Lupin says from the teacher's table. Greta nods and turns her attention back to the conversation going on around her.

“What do you think that was about?” Ron asks Harry quietly, watching the new girl eat. Harry shrugs.

“He wants to see if I can test out first year DADA, guys.” Greta says when the table grows quiet. “Professor Flitwick has already told me I know all the charms he teaches first year students, he's assigning me weekly papers for his class. Professor Lupin has already told me that he would like me to join you in his classes if possible, since I've had different teachers I might be able to teach you something.” Greta shrugs. “I'm seeing if I can test out of 1st year History of Magic tomorrow morning, then I have to see Professor McGonagall about Transfigurations, I have Herbology in the afternoon with the Ravenclaws, and Astronomy tomorrow night with the Hufflepuffs.”

“What about Potions?” Neville asks.

“Professor Snape is teaching us separately, he doesn't want our presence disturbing his classes.” Greta says with a slight smile. “We have to see him tonight.”

“Neville and I will be seeing you there, then.” Ron says with a sigh. “We bolluxed up our potions today and have to do them over during detention.”

~ ~ ~

Greta waits for the Great Hall to clear when the bell rings, watching everybody else rush off to classes. Standing up, she follows Professor Lupin down the hall to the Defense classroom and takes a seat. Professor Lupin shuts and locks the door behind them before handing her a copy of the first year final exam, telling her she has an hour to finish it before heading into another room. Pulling a quill from her bag, Greta starts to write, snickering softly at some of the questions. Handing over the scroll at the end of the hour, she heads up to her room.

She opens the door to find Ares pacing in the sitting room, Joxer sitting on the couch with Sirius who looks better thanks to a couple of decent meals, a hot bath, and clean clothes.

“Greta, do you have any plans for the rest of the afternoon?” Ares asks as his daughter comes into the room.

“None, I just took the first year DADA test, Professor Lupin will tell me if I passed at dinner. If I do, I need to get copies of the second year DADA notes from Hermione since he wants me to join the third year class as soon as possible.”

“I doubt her notes will help that much, they switched books this year.” Ares says, smirking. “Last year's teacher was a vainglorious idiot and used his own books.”

“Craptastic, oh well, I'll ask him what he'll be covering for the second year students then.” Greta sighs, standing up and walking over to where the book is sitting in the middle of the desk.

“Second year DADA usually involves the teacher bringing in examples of various things for the students to look at.” Sirius says from his spot on the couch. “Remus might allow you to come to those classes so you can look at them with the other students. The rest of it is just reading and writing papers.”

“Thanks, I wonder which book was used the year before last?” Greta says, tapping her lips. “I wonder if I could get the second year notes from somebody else, like the Weasley twins if they have them?”

“Oh, I don't doubt they have their notes from the previous years.” Sirius snorts. “This is their fifth year, they have their OWLS coming up at the end of the year.”

Greta turns to look at him, silently asking the question. Sirius snickers softly. “The students fifth year, they have to study for their OWLS.” Everybody looks at him and he blinks. “You don't take the OWLS at schools in the States? The OWLS are tests for all of their classes that takes into consideration everything they've learned in the previous years. This test tells them what classes they have for sixth and seventh years. If you passed a class, you may elect to not continue in that class.
And you also have finals in your classes as well as your OWLS.. And they go through the same thing during seventh year, those tests are called NEWTS and passing them means you can graduate.”

Greta looks at him, blinking. “Well FUCK!!!!” She drops onto the chair in disbelief. “No, we don't have anything like this in the States. Of course, we don't have a Ministry either and the US government is trying to take over the magic schools, so I can't say as that's a good thing right now.” Greta growls. “Well, now I know why everybody keeps all their notes and they use the same books for most of the classes.”

A couple of hours later, Greta has finally calmed down when the bell for dinner rings. Grabbing her school bag, shrunken cauldron, and potion supplies, she heads for the Great Hall. Sliding into a seat, she puts her bag down next to her as the Weasley twins come into the room.

“Ahh, just the people I was looking for.” Greta says, pointing a fork at them. “Can I get a copy of your second year DADA notes? I know you guys used the book we're using this year and they didn't last year.” I say at Hermione's opening mouth. “I'd have asked you but I didn't know how much things would have changed with different books as well as a . . .”

“Glorious idiot of a teacher?” Ron snorts with his mouth full. “Fred, George, give 'Mione your notes. She can make a set for Greta and see if there's anything in them we need for our OWLS.”

“Did you pass your first year test?” Neville asks from his spot down the table.

“Don't know yet mate,” Greta says looking up as Professor Lupin comes in, nodding for her to come up to the teacher's table. Wiping her mouth on the napkin, she stands up and walks over, taking some papers from him and smiling.

“I passed.” she says coming back to the table. “The professor gave me the syllabus for the second year and third year classes, so I know what I need to read up on in the book, and he's going to let me sit in on the classes when he shows the students stuff. The downside is I'm going to have to take two DADA finals this year.” Greta pushes the papers in her bag, picking up her fork and beginning to eat again.

“Watch out for the stupid pixies and fairies, those things are evil.” Ron snorts from his spot at the table around a mouthful of food. George and Fred nod in unison. Percy scowls at his brothers as the bell ending dinner rings. Greta stands up and comes over to Percy, hissing in his ear.

“Yank the broomstick out of your bloody arse mate, it's getting damn annoying. I don't know what your problem is, but you're coming across as a uptight twit who's going to have a stroke by the time he's thirty if he doesn't loosen up.” Greta walks away as he turns to stare at her in disbelief. George and Fred, who had overhead what she said, snicker.

“Miss Agios-Dynameostis, please tell me what you told Mr. Weasley?” Professor McGonagall says, calling her up to the head table momentarily.

:”I told him to yank the broomstick out of his bloody arse, the uptight attitude was getting damn annoying and he was going to have a stroke before he's thirty if he doesn't loosen up some.” Greta says, giving her a 'yeah, and. . .' look. “Now, may I be excused? I have potions tonight and I'd rather not keep Professor Snape waiting.” Professors Flitwick and Lupin hide muffled snorts behind their hands.

“Why do you have potions at this time of the night?” Professor McGonagall asks, knowing she's lost the battle with this strong willed young lady.

“Because he doesn't want our presence to disturb his other classes. He's teaching us during his off hours, at night while students have detentions, and during the weekends.” Greta shrugs. “Now if I can be excused?”

Professor Lupin waves Greta off with one hand and she takes the stairs down to the dungeons at a quick trot, arriving at the potions laboratory just behind Ron and Neville.

“So nice of you to join us, Ms. Agios-Dynameostis.” Professor Snape says sneering from his spot at the desk. “Please get your supplies set out at a table and read the first chapter while I get the others started on their tasks.” Ron rolls his eyes at Greta behind Snape's back as he trudges over to a pile of clean cauldrons and takes it to a table.

“Miss Agios-Dynameostis, what is that?” Professor Snape says with a sneer when he comes over, seeing arranged on the table, a quill busily writing on a scroll at the edge of the table.

“A charm to take notes sir.” Greta says. “It records everything said in the room, when I'm done I'll scratch out everything I don't need and transfer it to my notes for the year. This way I have both hands free for the class.”

The Professor snorts, giving the quill one last look as he goes over the potion he wants Greta and Scott to make, splitting his attention between the two new students and the rest.

An hour later he ushers the last of them out of the room, scowling at the row of vials on his desk that need to be checked. The two new students are bad influences on the others, neither of them appear to be scared of him. That simply will not do!

Greta snorts as she follows Scott up the stairs to their rooms, sighing as the door shuts behind her. Leaning against the door, she feels the wards on the room wrap around her. Putting her cleaned cauldron in the corner of the room with her supplies, she drops her bag onto the floor and, seeing that the door to Sirius' room is tightly shut, walks into the bathroom stripping off her clothes on the way. Sliding into the waiting tub of steaming hot water, she soaks until nearly falling asleep in the tub. Pulling the stopper on the tub with her toes, she allows the water to drain and stands up, dries off with the thick towel beside her, and pulls on the nightgown before heading out to her bedroom. Crawling under the covers on the bed, she turns on the radio by her bed and listens to music before falling asleep. Magically, the radio shuts off five minutes after she falls asleep.

The next morning finds a sleepy Greta glaring at the coffee maker as it slowly fills her cup. “God, I don't know what's worse, pulling an all-nighter, or sleeping but not getting a full eight hours sleep.” she mutters, blowing once on the steaming liquid before swallowing it in one gulp. “And who's goddamn bright idea is it to not have dinner until about seven or eight at night? At least the weekend's coming up so I can sleep.” Greta snorts “Though the good thing is that after last night's fiasco, I doubt Professor Snape is going to teach us while he's doing detentions, not when he was trying to be in three places at once.”

“Are you okay?” Sirius asks, looking around the corner of his room.

“Yeah, I'm just complaining about late nights and not getting enough sleep.” Greta says. “That and the absolute fiasco that was last night's potions. I'm sure Professor Snape will still want to teach us separate from the others, probably afraid that our 'I'm not afraid of you, get over yourself' attitude will rub off on his students, but he won't do it during detentions anymore, too hard to keep track of what everybody's supposed to be doing.”

“Was Harry there?” Sirius asks, wishing he could watch his godson around the school.

“No, but his buddy Ron was.” Greta snickers. “He nearly twisted his head off last night when he heard me tell Snape that my Great Aunt 'Cate on a rip was scarier than he was. The look on Snape's face. . .” Greta sighs in satisfaction. “I love tweaking people who are full of themselves.”

“Got a surprise for you.” Greta tells Sirius, summoning a small ball of energy in her hand that she slides into a pocket. “this is a small tracking charm that lasts a couple of hours and is undetectable by anybody but another god. I'll activate it and put it on Harry when I get down to breakfast, you can see him around the castle on my mirror.” Sirius moans and collapses into a chair Greta pushes under his legs.

“Watch him for a few hours.” She says, patting his shoulder. “I know that Professor Lupin has plans on getting me in his DADA class with Harry and the others. I'll offer my sitting room for a study center, you can change and come out to sit with the others in a couple of weeks.”

“My Lady, why are you helping me in this matter. I know from your family that you are vengeance. . .” Sirius asks haltingly.

“I am also over Justice, Sirius Black, and you were unjustly found guilty of the murder of James and Lily Potter, it is my duty to do all I can to help you prove yourself innocent. And Harry is your Godson after all.” Greta smiles at him as the bell for breakfast sounds and she heads out the door, following Scott down the stairs at a trot before sliding into the seat beside Harry, activating the charm and sticking it to the hem of Harry's robe.

Upstairs in Greta's room, Sirius holds his hand over his mouth when the mirror lights up and he sees the Gryffindor table in the Great Hall. He stands up, walking over to the mirror and touching his godson's image.

Meanwhile down in the Great Hall, Harry turns to Greta and Scott. “Did you really tell Snape that your Great Aunt Kate on a rip is scarier than he is?”

“Damn right I did.” Greta snorts. “He may think he's scary, but he ain't got nothing on the female members of my family when they're in a rip.” Greta snorts. “Hell, he's got nothing on some of the male members of my family, some of them can be real drama queens at times. Did you see his face when Scott called him Dude?” Greta asks Ron, poking him with her elbow.

Ron snickers again. “I thought he was going to have a stroke, his face was so red. What is a 'dude' anyway?”

“It's a term that originated in southern California among the surfing crowd.” Hermione says piously. “It started out as a term of respect, as in 'Dude, you so hit that wave, but it's been turned into a derisive comment by others, as Scott probably meant it last night.”

“Well thank you Miss Funk and Wagnall. Tell me, do you read the dictionary for fun, you do know what fun is right, or did you just swallow it?” Greta says sarcastically, looking over at her. Hermione flushes. “Are you really thirteen or are you a sixty year old midget in disguise? Your know it all attitude is really annoying. Loosen up a little, you might find it enjoyable, and you'll probably live longer.”

“You mean turn into a pranking idiot like the twins?” Hermione snorts.

“No, live a little. Try reading a book that has nothng to do with magic, going for a walk and just enjoying the fresh air, have fun with your friends, and forget about school for a little while. The world isn't going to end if you forget about schoolwork for five seconds. Let me guess, you're on of those who have to be the first one who raises their hands in class, always does their homework right away, and god forbid anything interfere in plans you made for the school year. Like I said, live a little before you turn into somebody like Snape or Percy and wake up one day to realize you don't have a life and never have. Now take me, I've already graduated from high school and been tutored privately in magic, I've taken college level courses, and I speak a shitload of languages. I've been here less than a week and I've already tested out of two first year classes and will shortly be seeing if I can test out of two more. I could probably test out of all of them and go into second year classes. Why aren't I doing it? Simple, I'm taking some time off my first year to get used to the school and have a little fun. As it is, I'm still doing two years of DADA classes in one.” The bell for first class rings as Greta stands up, walking off leaving Hermione staring behind her.

“Well, what do you think that was all about?” Professor McGonagall says from the teacher's table.

“Miss Agios-Dynameostis telling Mr. Weasley and Miss Granger to lose their uptight attitudes and live a little.” Madam Sprout says from her spot at the table. “And I must say that I like her attitude, most refreshing. Really, those two seem to think that grades are everything.”

“I don't like Miss Agios-Dynameostis or her cousin.” Snape growls, wiping his face and hands before standing up to head to his first class.

“Of course you don't Severus,” Madam Sprout says with a tinkling laugh, “She's not the least bit scared of you and you're afraid it will rub off on the others. I think that girl is going to turn Hogwarts on it's ears and I'm looking forward to seeing it.”

“Are you going to have any trouble with her in your class, Pomona?” Professor McGonagall asks.

“Not a bit, we spoke a little earlier. She routinely helps out her Aunts in their gardens and she has a small garden on her balcony back in New York. I'm looking forward to teaching her about the plants we use here and learning about the plants she and her aunts have in their gardens.”

~ ~ ~

An hour later, Professor Binns exits his office, stunned disbelief on his face. Greta follows him out, nodding to Professor McGonagall.

“Binns?” she asks, motioning the girl to head up to her office. The second Greta is out of sight, an evil smirk crosses her face. She so loved the look on the Professor's face when he realized she had passed.
Too bad she hadn't had a camera handy so she could have taken a picture, she'd never seen a ghost look like he'd been hit upside the head by a thick board. A fluttering in her bag makes her look down and she smiles, somebody had grabbed a picture of it from the Halls of Time.

“She passed it, she passed a first year test like it was nothing.” He says, staring after the student as she walks down the hall. “I'm not sure as I like it, nobody should be able to pass one of my finals less than a week after arriving at school.”

Professor McGonagall nods soothingly at the distraught professor and walks back to her office, finding Greta standing in the hallway outside making clucking noises at the phoenix fluttering around her head.

“Fawkes, what is the matter?” She asks as the bird lands on her shoulder, looks up at her and chirps inquiringly before making his way down her arm, lifting off long enough to fly over to Greta's hand, landing on her wrist. Lifting his head, he gives her an inquiring look before cheeping in satisfaction and nuzzling against her cheek.

“And just what are you?” Greta asks calmly, looking at him before slowly raising a hand and stroking his head. “Besides very loving?” Greta looks up at Professor McGonagall, the question in her eyes.

“That's Fawkes, Headmaster Dumbledore's phoenix. He vanished shortly before the Headmaster took ill, it looks like he knew what was going to happen. Phoenix's choose new masters when their old ones die or are so sick they'll never recover, it looks like he's chosen you for his new friend.” Professor McGonagall says sadly. “I'll have his belongings brought to your room before lunch.”

“Professor, are you sure you want to go through this today?” Greta asks, “I can come back tomorrow if you would rather we wait.”

“No Miss Agios-Dynameostis, I had the feeling that something like this was going to happen the way the Headmaster had been acting lately. You can stop at the library after we're done, Madam Pince will have books on phoenixes you can check out that will tell you how to care for your new friend. And I'll have a supply of food sent to your room until somebody can run to Diagon and bring in a supply for you. You'll also need an owl cage to transport him in when you leave.” Professor McGonagall opens the door to her office. “And I need to clean out his office.” she says softly.

An hour later Greta leaves the office, absently rubbing a cooing Fawkes' head as she heads to the library. Madam Pince holds a hand to her mouth when she sees one of the new exchange students coming into the library with Fawkes on her shoulder, moaning as she realizes that this means most likely Albus would not be recovering.

“Professor McGonagall said that you had books on phoenixes that I could check out?” She asks coming to the counter. Madam Pince nods and leads her to the shelf where the animal books are kept, watching as the new student picks out a couple books and turns to look at her. “And where are the DADA books kept?” Madam Pince leads her to the books and she thanks her, looking them over before picking out a couple of the older ones and heading back to the counter. Madam Pince marks the books and hands them over, watching the student walk out the door before sitting down and crying for the loss of the man Albus Dumbledore once was. Returning to her room, Greta finds a perch and other supplies against the door. Opening the door she carries everything into the room as the bell for lunch rings. Fawkes flies over to his perch and begins to eat. Greta smiles as she shuts the door behind her, heading downstairs with her bag over her arm.

“How did you do on your History of Magic final” Ron asks, passing Greta the bowl of salad without being asked.

“Passed it with flying colors, thanks for the notes Hermione they really helped.” Everybody looks at her in stunned disbelief. “Tell me one thing, does the book get any better? I nearly fell asleep, that stuff was so boring.” Ron snorts. “Nope, in fact it gets worse. Be glad you don't have to listen to Professor Binn's lectures, they're even worse.” Hermione starts to say something and Ron snorts, holding up a hand. “Oh don't start, I know for a fact that even you have fallen asleep during his lectures.” Hermione turns red for a second and nods.

“Any other teachers I need to know about?” Greta asks.

“Professor Trelawney, the divinations teacher. Loony old bat.” Ron mutters softly, looking in the direction of the head table. “Always going on and on about deaths, especially Harry's. It's a elective, so you don't have to take it. And you already know all about Snape from last night.”

“I scare Seers.” Greta snickers. “We had one from one of the American Schools come to my house when I was younger, before my family decided to tutor me. She took one look at me and burst out crying. My family was not impressed, that was the final straw against sending me to their school.”

“Okay, how hard is astronomy? I notice there wasn't a book, so it's just a matter of looking at the night sky and identifying stuff?”

“Basically.” Hermione says. “It's an easy class.” Everybody looks at her and she shrugs. “Okay, I admit it, schoolwork isn't everything.” Greta grins. “We'll turn you into a human being instead of a super egghead in no time.” Hermione snorts..

“Greta, I was wondering. How many languages is a 'shitload'?” Neville asks from further down the table.

“Over fifty I'm fluent in,” Greta says, taking a bite of meatloaf. “Another 20 I'm passable in, and about fifteen I know enough to ask where's the bathroom and is that safe to eat.” She shrugs as everybody looks at her. “My family has a huge library, I learned to read when I was two with Dick and Jane and went on from there. My family never pushed, they let me decide what I wanted to learn and let me decide when something wasn't fun anymore. The only time they insisted insisted on something or overruled me was when they felt it was too dangerous for me. Even my magical tutoring, it was all what I wanted to learn. And I can read almost as many languages as I can speak.”

“Why did you learn to read so many languages?” Hermione asks.

“Because sometimes a translation is incorrect and if you're lucky you've just wasted a few hours of work, at worst, you can get yourself or somebody else hurt or killed.” Ron nods vigorously.

“My older brother Bill is a cursebreaker. He can tell you horror stories about people who have been hurt or killed by a curse that has been interpreted badly.” He holds up a hand at Hermione's opening mouth. “A translating spell can sometimes set off the curse, or something even worse like magical traps set to keep out intruders, so the Goblins always have classes open for people who work for them, including the cursebreakers. And there are some written languages where a translating charm doesn't work, you either have to read it yourself or be able to trust your translations.”

“And let's not even mention the scholars who get into arguments over the more obscure languages.” Greta snorts. “I've seen people come to blows over their pet ideas about what a symbol means, only to find out it isn't a symbol at all, it was the ancient version of graffiti or a ring from where somebody put their drink down on the paper they were working on.”

“Miss Agios-Dynameostis, would you please see me after the meal?” Professor McGonagall asks as the bell for the end of the meal rings.

“Yes, Professor McGonagall?” Greta asks, coming up to the head table, her bag over her shoulder.

“I have a note from Professor Lupin. He is 'indisposed' right now, but he wants you to join his third year Defense class Monday morning. Also, Professor Snape would like to see you in the dungeons tonight if possible for tutoring.”

“I can make it, but Scott can't. He has Astronomy tonight with the Ravenclaws, I have it tomorrow night with the Hufflepuffs.”

“I believe that was the general idea.” Professor McGonagall says, her lips twitching suspiciously. “I think his exact words were, 'together they're impossible, separating them will be much better for me'.”

Greta snickers softly as she heads out to the Greenhouses.

“Class, this is Miss Agios-Dynameostis, as you are aware the Sorting Hat chose not to put her in a House when she enrolled, she will be attending Herbology with us.” Madam Sprout says. “Miss Agios-Dynameostis, you will be working with me since with the addition of you there is an uneven number of students in this class. We will be learning about this plant. . .”

A little over an hour later, Greta walks into the castle, absently wiping her hands off on her robe. It had been good to bury her hands in dirt again, even if the plants hadn't been ones she was familiar with. Madam Sprout had been interested in seeing what Greta was used to, giving her permission to owl her family and get plant snippings for both of them. The robe is pulled off when she enters her room, a house elf immediately appearing to grab the robe before it can land on the floor, looking at her until Greta pulls off her uniform and disappears with them. Greta smirks and pulls on a pair of jeans and t-shirt, throwing a robe over the back of a chair as she picks up the first of the DADA books she had got from the library. Quickly checking the index, she reads the first couple of paragraphs before snorting and puts it aside, the others joining the pile before she stands up. “Fawkes, want to come with me while I walk these back to the library?” He coos and flies over, landing on her shoulder.

“Is there something the matter?” Madam Pince asks as the new student comes in, handing over the Defense books she had checked out earlier.

“Nah, just returning the books. The titles are different so it threw me off, I read these when I was six or seven, back when I was first starting my magical training.” Greta says, patting them as she pushes the stack over. “I've read them so often, I pretty much have them memorized.” Greta looks at the other books, pulls a couple off the shelves to look at the first few pages, and shakes her head. “Do you have any more advanced defense books?”

“Not at the school, anything more advanced would be in the Auror handbooks.” Madam Pince says calmly. Greta nods in understanding and walks back to her room, being stopped by a man who grabs her by the arm who finds himself thrown across the hallway, ending up on his back with one foot on his chest holding him down.. Professor McGonagall, who had been coming up the stairs hurries over and puts her hand on Greta's shoulder after announcing her presence.

“Girl, who the hell do you think you are, why aren't you in class, and what do you think you're doing up here?”

“I'm the girl who's going to break every bone in your body if you ever lay a hand on me again, you little creep.” Greta snarls in Greek.

“This is Miss Agios-Dynameostis, she's an exchange student from America with her cousin. Since they're so much older than normal first years, we gave them private rooms by the teachers.”

“I don't like it, I don't like it at all.” the man on the floor complains, wincing as Greta grinds her heel into his ribs.

“Miss Agios-Dynameostis, please let him up. I'll deal with him.” Professor McGonagall says, patting her student on the shoulder. “I promise.”

Greta growls once again, letting him up and walking away. “You do not grab a student like that.” Professor McGonagall says, glaring at the caretaker. “What the hell were you thinking?”

“She shouldn't be up here, no she shouldn't.” he mutters. “I'm going to have her in Detention for this.”

“No you will not.” Professor McGonagall says firmly. “She was headed for her room not bothering anybody.”

“She's not in her uniform.”

“She doesn't have a class until astronomy tomorrow night. She doesn't have to wear her uniform until them.”

“Even though Professor Snape wants me to come to the dungeons after dinner for another tutoring session?” Greta asks with a smirk from the doorway to her room. Professor McGonagall blinks and smiles. “That still is considered a class Miss Agios-Dynameostis. You still have to wear your uniform.”

“Damn,” Greta says dramatically, snapping her fingers as she shuts the door behind her.

“You will leave her alone.” Professor McGonagall snarls, staring into Filch's beady eyes. “Albus may have put up with your vendetta against the students, but I will not. I will be watching you, and the first time you harass a student, I will have you removed from this school and turned over to the Aurors. Am I understood?”

~ ~ ~

Greta emerges out of her room a few minutes later, tossing her robe over her shoulders as she juggles her bag, cauldron, and potions supplies. Putting the box of supplies in the cauldron, she shrinks it with a muffled charm and shoves it in a pocket of the robe, the shrunken school bag following a second later. She walks down to the Great Hall as the dinner bell rings.

“Greta over here,” Ron calls, waving from the Gryffindor table. “We've got somebody we'd like you to meet. This is Nymphadora Tonks, she's an Auror friend of ours. Tonks, this is Greta Agios-Dynameostis, an exchange student from the United States attending Hogwarts with her cousin.” Ron points to the boy with purple streaked hair down the table.

“Wotcher Greta, glad to meet you.” Tonks says, holding out a hand. “The others been telling me how you showed Snape you weren't scared of him.”

“Please I've seen scarier.” Greta snorts. “What are you doing here at Hogwarts?”

“Tonks has volunteered to give us some additional Defense training once or twice a week.” Harry says.

“Cool. Did I remember to tell you guys that Professor Lupin has arranged for me to join your DADA class starting Monday.”

“Sweet.” Ron says, “Tonks has gotten permission for us to be out after curfew, so we're going to take over an empty classroom tonight for some extra training. Want to join us?”

“Can't, our 'Dear' Professor Snape has me joining him in the dungeons again tonight for some individual tutoring. I won't even have my usual heckling partner with me,” Greta nods down at Scott who blinks and moans,” since Scott has Astronomy tonight. I think he wants to get us out of his hair as soon as possible, so he's doubling up the lesson plans.”

“Which means I have him tomorrow night.” Scott grumbles.

“Probably, since I have Astronomy then.” Greta shrugs. “Penny-Ante little tryant. Reminds me a little of Scott's Dad when he's in his 'I'm in charge here' moods making life miserable at the compound until Frau and Number Two put him back in his place.” Scott blinks and cackles.

“Aren't you forgetting something, like your school bag?” Neville asks, flushing and ducking his head when everybody looks at him. “Never mind.” Greta reaches over and claps him on the shoulder.

“Not at all Neville, I shrunk my bag, cauldron, and potion supplies and put them in the pocket of my robe before I came down.”

“We can do that?” Neville asks, shocked.

“Yeah, I got tired of hauling it around on my shoulder, so I shrunk it and stuck it in my pocket.” Greta smirks, “And my showing up seemingly without supplies is going to get Snape seriously upset with me.” Ron blinks and snickers. “Why do you have your cauldron with you? We usually leave them in the dungeons for cleaning.”

“Snape told us to clean our cauldrons and get out of his sight.” Scott shrugs. “So we did.”

Greta cackles, remembering the look on the Professor's face. She looks up when a bird flies into the room, landing on her shoulder. “Fawkes, what's the matter baby?” she asks, petting the phoenix who nestles under her hair. He looks at her and starts cheeping, showing her pictures.

“Professor McGonagall, I believe that someone tried entering my room while we were at dinner.” Greta says in an ice cold voice, startling the others around her. “Unfortunately for them, I put some shields up on my room to keep this from happening. I'll need to release him for you.” Professor McGonagall blinks and her face suddenly grows cold. “Is it the same problem you had earlier this afternoon?” Greta looks over at Fawkes, getting a last picture in her head. “Yes it is.” Greta turns to look at the House Elf who appears at her elbow. “Can I get some fruit for Fawkes as a treat?” The elf nods and vanishes, leaving Greta petting and cooing at Fawkes, everybody else at the table stares in disbelief, everybody except Tonks who looks sad for a second, settles her shoulders and nods at the head table. Now she saw why Professor McGonagall had asked her up to the school.

“Greta, is that Headmaster Dumbledore's phoenix Fawkes?” Hermione asks, edging closer.

“Yes, he suddenly showed up this morning and started loving on me.” Greta says taking the fruit from the house elf and handing it over. Fawkes cheeps, brushes his head against Greta's cheek again and takes the fruit in his talons.

“Greta, can I pet Fawkes?” Neville asks quietly from his spot. Greta looks at Fawkes. “You want some lovies from Neville and the others? I have have potions after this, you can come meet me when I get out.” Fawkes cheeps and hops down Greta's arm onto Neville's shoulder and begins singing quietly. Greta hands down the plate of fruit, wiping her mouth and standing up when Professor McGonagall motions for her to come to the head table. Harry and Tonks watch as Greta, followed by Professors McGonagall, Lupin, and Snape leave the Great Hall.

Greta snorts as she opens the door to her sitting room, finding Filch snared in a magical tangleweb with Purlina in full hellcat mode snarling at him, teeth and claws at the ready. McGonagall eeps and starts to raise her wand, stopping and staring in disbelief when Greta walks over and starts petting the large cat's head.

“And what the hell do you think you're doing in my room, dipwad?” Greta says icily, cutting the web with a single movement of her hand and allowing him to fall to the floor.

“Checking for contraband.” he says, glaring at her. “when that animal attacked me.”

Greta snorts. “If Purlina had attacked you, you wouldn't be standing here talking to me. Now try again, what are you doing in my room?”

“Indeed, and we'd like the truth this time.” McGonagall says icily. “Since checking for contraband is usually handled by a teacher, and I've heard no rumors from the other students. Have any of the other teachers heard anything?” Professors Lupin and Snape shake their heads, summoning a house elf who runs off, minutes later Professor Flitwick, Madam Sprout, and Tonks enter the room.

“We'll need you in a few minutes Tonks. Has anybody had complaints that Greta might have some sort of contraband in her room.” The other two heads of houses shake their heads. “No, nothing at all. It's too early in the year for our usual troublemakers to start making 'anonymous' reports against other students.”

“Now then, since we got that out of the way, why are you in a student's rooms?” Professor McGonagall says icily. “Greta, would you please look around your rooms and see if anything has been disturbed? And please call off your. . . cat?”

“Down 'Lina,” Greta says fondly, rubbing her head as the cat rubs against her legs. “You don't want to eat him, as old bitter and stringy as he is, he'd give you food poisoning.” Greta heads for the bedroom door, screaming as she enters the room. Tonks, her wand out, is immediately behind her and whistles at the sight that greets her. “I take it you didn't leave it like this?” she asks.

“Hell no!” Greta says, turning around to find Profesor Lupin and Flitwick at the door to her bedroom. “Professor, the little pervert was in my bedroom, my belongs have been thrown all over and. . . eww. . . ” Greta holds up a pair of dripping, soiled underwear with her wand, holding it at arm's length before dropping them.. “somebody's been in my underwear. I know for a fact I didn't leave my room like this.”

“Dobby!” Professor McGonagall calls. A house elf immediately appears, looking around before blinking at the Professor. “Please don't touch anything, would you ask the others if they've been here at all today?” The house elf disappears, returning with a female house elf. “Twinky here earlier.” she says, blinking at the mess. “Twinky clean in morning, come back in afternoon after class for dirty robe and uniform.” Professor McGonagall looks at Greta. “I had herbology, I was wiping my dirty hands on my robe as I came in. Twinky?” Greta looks at the house elf who nods nervously, “took my robe from me when I came into my room, motioning for me to give her the uniform too. Twinky,” Greta asks, looking at the house elf, “would it be possible for somebody to put some extra padding on this side of my robes” Greta pats her right shoulder, “for Fawkes to hold onto when he's on my shoulder?” the house elf nods and vanishes. “Dobby clean?”

“Not yet Dobby, please?” Greta says. “Professor McGonagall, would you mind checking for contraband before the room is cleaned? Just to prove I have nothing to hide.”

“Yes, and I think we need somebody from the Ministry to come up and deal with him.” Tonks says, heading out the door. “Greta, can I ask you not to touch anything? Head up to Gryffindor tower, tell the painting what's going on, and she'll let you in. You can sleep on one of the couches in the common room if we can't get your room cleaned up before morning.” she says, looking at Professor McGonagall who nods quickly.

“Does this mean I don't have potions tonight?” Greta asks, heading for the door, 'Lina pressed against her legs.

“Yes,” Professor Snape sighs. “I believe I will be dealing with this . . . matter. . .most of the night. Please read the next two chapters in the books, we will be working on those potions this weekend.” Greta nods and heads out the door, looking at the map in her hand.

“What did you think you were doing, breaking into a student's room.” he says.

“Actually, I can think of a couple things, both of them nasty.” Tonks says. “And since all her stuff has been disturbed and her underwear looks like it was wanked off on,” McGonagall turns white as a sheet before turning dark red with fury, “it looks like the first. Tell me, did you plan on watching her while she changed her clothes, took a shower, and slept. . . or did you plan on taking it a step further and attack her while she slept?”

“I never. . .” Filch begins blustering.

“Shut up you. Professor Snape, do you have any veritaserum we can use or do I need to have somebody bring some with them?” she asks before leaving the room. “If I can use the floo in your office Professor McGonagall? Let's get him out of here, I don't think Greta needs this piece of filth in her room any longer.” Professor Lupin grabs Filch by the collar and drags him from the room, handing him off to an Auror when they appear.

“What's the matter Tonks?” her boss asks, coming through the floo.

“This one was found in a student's room, all her belongings have been tossed around, and some of her undergarments have been used in a sexual manner.” she says calmly. “He doesn't have an excuse for being there either.” The aurors turn to look at him in disgust. “We're not sure if that was the only thing he had planned or if he was going to hide in her room and attack her when she returned.”

“How old is this student? And how did he get past the portraits to get into a House?”

“The student in question is sixteen, an exchange student from the states. Since she is so much older than a normal first year, we arranged for her and her cousin to have rooms in the teacher's section. Unfortunately, neither room had portraits or passwords, which is going to be changed now.” Professor McGonagall says, folding her hands on her desk. “In addition, Mister Filch,” McGonagall says scathingly, “has already presumed to put his hands on her in a threatening manner once earlier this afternoon. I believe Miss Agios-Dynameostis used a muggle form of physical self-defense, she broke his hold on her arm by elbowing him in the ribs, grabbed hold of his arm, and tossed him across the hallway, then kept him from getting up by putting a foot in his ribcage. That was just before dinner, and Fawkes came into the Great Hall during dinner telling Miss Agios-Dynameostis that her room had broken into. Miss Agios-Dynameostis then announced that she had some magical protections on her room and would need to release the intruder for us. When we asked him what he was doing there, he claimed that he was searching for contraband, even through that is not one of his duties and since the school year had just started, none of our little 'darlings' have tried getting another student in trouble by claiming they had something in their room.” By the time she finishes talking, everybody in the room is looking at the former caretaker in disgust.

Meanwhile back at the Gryffindor tower, Greta looks at the painting on the doorway. The painting looks at her, listens to what Greta quietly says, and opens for her before starting to gossip with the other paintings.

“Greta, what's going on? Tonks was just called by Professor McGonagall, canceling our defense class tonight.” Ron asks, looking up as the door across the room opens. Fawkes, who had been cheeping against Neville's neck, takes to the air landing on his Mistress's shoulder. Everybody blinks as she sits on a nearby couch, the huge cat pressing protectively against her legs.

“That creep Filch broke into my room, tossed my belongings around, and jacked off on my underwear.” Greta says quietly, even though the common room becomes so quiet that everybody could hear a pin drop. “Tonks said something about calling in somebody from the Ministry to take care of it.”

“Umm, what does jacking off mean?”Ginny asks quietly.

“American slang, I think it's the same as wanked off?” Greta says, closing her eyes and pinching the bridge of her nose, not noticing every boy's face in the common room growing hard. Ginny still looks lost until one of the twins take her aside, whispering in her ear. She turns pale as a sheet before throwing an arm around Greta, Hermione a second behind her. “Greta, are you okay?”

“You mean besides being seriously creeped out because that bastard was in my room going through my things? Yeah, though I feel like I want to clean everything in my room before I can touch it, my skin crawls just thinking about that bastard being in there.”

“We know some super cleaning charms, I'm sure the house elves will have your room put back in order before you know it. And if it makes you feel better, we can do the charm anyway.” Ginny babbles against Greta's shoulder. “Umm, if you don't mind my asking, who's the big cat pressed against your legs?” Hermione and the others, who had been wondering themselves but were too scared to ask, look at Greta.

“Guys, it's 'Lina, my cat?” Greta looks around at everybody, blinking. “You mean your familiars don't shift to protect you if you're in danger?”

“No,” Percy says, remembering something he'd read long ago and thought only a myth. “It takes a true familiar to do that, they're thought to be mythical creatures.” The guys turn to look at Hermione, who for once is as clueless as they are. Percy smile and looks over at Greta, receiving a nod to go on.

“A true familiar is bonded to their master, more so than we are with our familiars. I don't know all the details, but the bond is usually empathic and/or telepathic in nature.”

“Right,” Greta says nodding. “The bond usually begins in infancy for both of them, they grow up together.”

“What about their lifespan?”

“The same as their human partner. The magic that bonded them allows the animal to take on their partner's lifespan.”

“Are they common in the states?” Percy asks.

“No, it tends to happen a lot in my family but it's still rare. My twin brother doesn't have a familiar at all.”

“And your cousin?”

Greta snorts. “Biggie is something else all right, but no, he's just a normal familiar.”

“Greta, do you plan on heading back to your room soon?” Hermione asks.

“I doubt it, Tonks sent me in here, told me I might be sleeping in here tonight if they can't get my room cleaned up before morning.” Hermione looks at Percy.

“There is the extra room under the stairs.” Percy says slowly. “It hasn't been used in a while, so it will probably need cleaning.” Percy walks to the door hidden by the shadows and opens the door, sneezing and coughing at the cloud of dust that comes through the opened door. Hermione immediately casts a cleaning charm, leaving the room spotless and smelling faintly like lavender. A house elf immediately appears with fresh linen for the bed. If the bed looks a little bigger than normal, if the blankets and pillows are a little fluffier than normal, well, the house elves have already decided that poor student needs a little pampering after what that horrible man did to her room. Purlina settles down next to the fire, nibbling on a bowl of food the house elves brought up as Greta pulls out her potions book and begins to read by the fire. The others look at her and she shrugs. “Professor Snape told me to read the next two chapters and look over the potions mentioned, he plans on having me do them this weekend.” Percy blinks. “That is not how first year potions are normally taught.”

“I think Professor Snape just wants me and Scott out of his hair as soon as possible.” Greta says with a somewhat weak laugh, causing Neville, Hermione, and Ginny to hug her again. “For me, it's just a matter of showing him I can make these potions, since he found out I've helped out various family members with their potion work. Scott doesn't have that background, so he's going to work more with him while I work on my own. It's interesting to see what the various potions are supposed to do, my family taught me a lot of different ones that do the same things. I thought I'd have them make up a batch of different potions, with notes on how they're made and what they do for him for a solstice present.” Greta looks at the others, “What? I think he'd be interested in learning new things, even if he wouldn't show it And it's not like I would be bribing him to get a better grade.”

“You're odd Greta, you know that right” Ron finally says.

Greta smirks, her usual good nature coming back. “Ah, but it'd be pretty boring if we were all the same, wouldn't it? Just think, we could all be as uptight as Percy,” Percy snorts, “as bookwormy as Hermione,” Hermione blushes and hides the textbook she'd been reading for fun, “or as cranky as Professor Snape. Hell, we could all be like the twins.” Everybody in earshot moans as the twins cackle.

~ ~ ~

Percy shakes his head, smiling as the others bustle around Greta working on getting her spirits back up when he sneaks out of the common room, heading to the other houses.

“It's an emergency, let me in please.” he says to each portrait. He then grabs the nearest Slytherin, Hufflepuff, or Ravenclaw, telling them to get their prefects and Head Boys and Head Girls, there was an emergency meeting in the Gryffindor common room in an hour. Heading back to his house, he finds Professor Snape waiting for him.

“Mr. Weasley, you're the last person I expected to find outside their house after curfew without permission.” he says dryly. “I am shocked. Five points from Gryffindor.”

“Yes sir, but I needed to call the other Prefects and Head Boys and Girls here for a meeting. Greta told us what happened.” he says, watching Professor Snape's face grow hard. “Sir, she's not the first one he's targeted like this, it's usually the older girls he likes to ogle, but we've seen him looking at some of the younger girls in inappropriate ways also.” Professor Snape's face grows cold as ice as he grabs Percy's elbow. “Come with me, Professor McGonagall needs to know about this.”

“Yes sir, that's why I was calling the others here, so we could come forward together. One of us might not be believed, but not all the Head Boys, Head Girls, and Prefects from all the houses. All the older students know what he's like, we've been protecting the younger kids from his attention for years.”

“Why has this matter never come up before?” Professor Snape says, summoning a house elf to tell the others to head up to Professor McGonagall's office immediately.

“Sir, who would believe us? Headmaster Dumbledore never did.” Percy says bitterly. “The house offers some protections for the students from him getting into their dorm rooms, the paintings would have started screaming if he snuck in. Greta didn't have that protection. Sir, something else you should know? There have been rumors that some students who caught his attention have come up missing, I never believed the stories Headmaster Dumbledore put out that they had transferred schools or left.”

“Yes, Auror Tonks had wondered about that as well. She's requested that the Aurors come and check the castle out completely, along with curse breakers to break spells to keep objects and/or rooms hidden. The school has a number of sections that are no longer used, and since Filch was our caretaker it wouldn't be hard for him to find hiding places. I believe that she has requested your brother's help in the matter.”

“Mister Weasley, what are you doing out of your house?” Professor McGonagall says when the pair enter her office. Filch had just been drug off by Aurors from the ministry for questioning under veritaserum and Tonks and some other Aurors were casting spells on Greta's room to determine what had happened.

“I caught Mr. Weasley outside his room, back from calling a meeting with the other Prefects and Head Boys and Girls.” Snape says dryly, dropping onto a chair. “It seems that Miss Agios-Dynameostis is not the first student he has targeted. The Prefects, Head Boys, and Head Girls of each house has been protecting the younger girls.”

“Is this true, Mr. Weasley?” Professor McGonagall asks with a sigh, summoning a house elf and asking that one of the Aurors come up to her office.

“Yes Professor, he prefers to ogle the older female students, but we've noticed him looking at the younger students in an inappropriate manner.” Percy says, standing ramrod straight with his hands behind his back.

“And why hasn't somebody come forward before now?” she asks, blinking at the rude disbelieving snort forced from Percy's lips. “Sorry Professor, but who would believe us? Headmaster Dumbledore never did, I had called the meeting so that we could all come forward, hopefully you would believe us if we did it all at the same time. I've lost count of how many students have complained to the Headmaster only to be told they were imagining things or it was wishful thinking on the part of the female students. There are also the abuse the male students have received from him when he discovers they like their own sex, or he believes they like other boys.” Professor McGonagall's face grew hard as the door opened and Tonks walked in again.

“Auror Tonks, please sit down, it has come to my attention just now that Miss Agios-Dynameostis is not the first female student the former caretaker has targeted for his affections. Mister Weasley is Gryffindor House Prefect. Mr. Weasley, please tell Auror Tonks what you just told me.” Percy repeats his story, seconded by the other Prefects, Head Boys, and Head Girls when they come into her office.

“Righto then, think I got everything. Anything else kids?” Tonks says, looking at them. Percy looks at Professor Snape, takes a deep breath, and slowly lets it out. “There have been rumors that Filch took his affections further than just obsessing over some students. Headmaster Dumbledore said they had left on their own or transferred, but because of the way he never believed our stories, we . . . wondered.”

“Did you know anything about this?” Tonks asks Professor McGonagall, who shakes her head slowly. “No, but I wonder how many other secrets Albus kept from us. I'd been putting off cleaning out his office, but I believe I'm going to do so now.” She looks at Tonks. “Do you wish to have an Auror there in case something is found?” Tonks looks over at her and nods. “Yeah, we'd better. Let me call in somebody to take over spelling the stuff in Greta's room to see who all has touched it, and we'll head up to his office.” Professor McGonagall nods as Tonks uses the floo, calling in another Auror before following her down the hall to the gargoyle guarding the stairs to the Headmaster's office. The gargoyle opens as soon as McGonagall stops in front, and she sighs realizing the castle has accepted her as the new Headmistress.

“You okay?” Tonks asks, gently touching the older woman on the shoulder.

“I'm a little upset that none of the other teachers noticed Filch's behavior. We knew about his vendetta towards the students, his job doesn't involve magic so as a squib he could handle the duties, but people should have known that being surrounded by students with magic while he didn't have any would turn the man bitter. I just can't believe that Albus let this go on as far as he did and might have covered up attacks on students. I can't believe all this went on under our noses until Fawkes flew to Miss Agios-Dynameostis at dinner telling her that somebody had been in her room.”

“Has Greta had problems adjusting to the school?” Tonks asks as they stop in front of the office door.

“Not at all, though I did hear some grumblings from her when she arrived for a visit. It seems her parents chose not to tell her she was going to be attending class here until the day they arrived at Diagon Alley. I believe Miss Agios-Dynameostis experienced the same thing most if not all of our muggle-born students do when they first start attending: culture shock. I believe her exact words were 'Jeez People, you've got running water, how about a little electricity? Who the hell studies by candlelight anymore. Join the fucking 21th century already'. Fortunately for Miss Agios-Dynameosis, school was not in session so I could not give her Detention for her language.” Tonks snickers behind her hands..

“Any other problems fitting in?”

“None that any of the students or teachers have made me aware of. She's already been tutored by her family in the United States so she's got a solid base in magical education. She's been able to test out of most of her first year classes. I believe that Professor Snape is the only teacher who has been complaining about her, and that's because Miss Agios-Dynameostis and her cousin appear not to be scared of him.” Tonks snickers again. “I think he's afraid their 'infernal attitudes' will rub off on the other students. I believe the biggest problem Miss Agios-Dynameostis will be facing this year is some students may be jealous she has her own room, but since she was not sorted into a house. . .”

“Wot?” Tonks asked surprised, then blinks realizing the younger woman hadn't been wearing a school tie. “The bloody hat finally lost it's mind? I've never heard of that happening. What about her cousin?”

“Oh Mr. Evil was sorted into Gryffindor all right, though the hat took an infernal amount of time to place him in a house.” McGonagall snorts. “Miss Agios-Dynameostis however, all we could get from the hat was 'not yet'. She doesn't seem to be bothered by the fact that she's a 'man without a country' as it were. I do believe that Madam Hooch is more upset that she was not sorted into a house, during her first flying lesson Miss Agios-Dynameostis took to flying like she'd been doing it all her life and went on a joyride around the castle. It took some time for Madam Hooch, Mr Potter, and the youngest Mr. Weasley to catch up with her and bring her down. Madam Hooch is quite upset that she will not be able to play on a house team, I believe she said that Miss Agios-Dynameostis would probably be the second first year in a hundred years, after Mr. Potter of course, to be chosen for a house team.”

“How does Greta take her meals then? I know she was sitting at the Gryffindor table tonight.”

“When she wasn't sorted into a house, we allowed her to sit with her cousin and friends from the train.” McGonagall taps a finger against her lip in thought. “I do believe I'll ask Miss Agios-Dynameostis to take turns sitting at the other tables so she can make friends with students from all the houses.”

“So any problems with the teachers besides old Snape getting his nose out of joint because of their attitudes?”

“None, though there have been some raised eyebrows from the staff because Miss Agios-Dynameostis refuses to wear skirts except when she's in class.” Tonks snickers again. “Indeed.” McGonagall sighs. “And since she tested out of first year charms, transfiguration, History of Magic, and Defense, she only has classes officially two or three days a week.” Professor McGonagall sits behind the desk, looking through the paperwork on the desk.

“Okay, if Greta's already had a magical education, why is she here?” Tonks asks, sitting down in the visitor chair across the desk from McGonagall and looking at her. “You told me there was a reason why, besides giving the kiddies some extra training, you wanted me to come up tonight.”

“Yes, it seems that there appears not to be an American Ministry, so the government is trying to take over the schools there, they want the students to work for the military. They've been after Miss Agios-Dynameostis since she started showing magical potential and after her cousin since he broke out magically. Greta's family sent them here for their protection. Their Aunt seems to favor Hogwarts greatly, so much so that various family members have attended classes here, so they were sent here.. I recognized her adoptive fathers after Greta received a letter telling her what was going on, both attended Hogwarts while I was a student here. I believe that Albus was pleased to have two such powerful students at his school, I know Miss Agios-Dynameostis felt disquieted around him that night.”

“First impressions usually turn out to be right.” Tonks says slowly. “Anything else I need to know about the little tyke.” McGonagall snorts. “Miss Agios-Dynameostis is six seven and a half and is nearly seventeen. Nothing about the girl is little, most especially her mouth.” Tonks cackles again. “Do you plan on having her attend your extra lessons?”

“Yeah, Harry said something along the lines that she should, and Lupin agreed with him. He got me alone when the others left for their next class and hinted strongly that I should let Greta join them Any idea why?” McGonagall looks worried a second and nods slowly.

“The train was attacked on the way to Hogwarts and Greta . . . destroyed two Dementors. She did it without her wand.” McGonagall says quietly. “I believe that Lupin has chosen to have her join the third year Gryffindor and Slytherin defense class for her own protection.”

“Yeah, You-Know-Who would do anything to get his hands on her if he knew about her.” Tonks says seriously. “Okay, I'll talk to Lupin and Harry later about what we need to do to protect Greta.” McGonagall opens a drawer in the desk and gasps, one hand to her mouth. “What is it?” she asks, coming around the desk. McGonagall holds up a fabric wrapped bundle, a number of wands sticking out of one end. “Why would those be up here?” she asks, looking at Tonks. “If a student was expelled, they would have been broken, and a student would have taken them with them if they ran away or transferred schools.”

“I can think of one reason they'd be here.” Tonks says slowly, scowling as she summons a house elf. “And it's not a good one. I'll go see Ollivander in the morning and see if he can tell us who the wands belonged to.” McGonagall nods slowly. “I think I'd better have somebody look over Filch's office and rooms next.” The house elf appears and she sends him off with a note for the other Aurors. She gets a note in return and reads it, looking up at the other woman. “They're done with Greta's room. The House elves are taking her belongings off to clean.” Tonks looks up at the window as the sun begins to peek through. “We've been at this all night?”

“I have no doubts the whole story has spread around the school by now.” McGonagall says softly. “I'll talk to the others at breakfast and see if we want to have classes today or not. Do you want me to make an announcement to the students about what happened?”

“Not the whole story, just that he's left the school. You might also think of finding a replacement for him, for the rest of the year at least.”

“Yes, and I need to send an owl to Miss Agios-Dynameostis's parents, though I have no doubt that she has already sent a message to them and I will be expecting visitors shortly.” The door is rudely pushed open as five men walk into the room, followed by a house elf. “And here they are now.” she sighs.

~ ~ ~

“Excuse me, but what happened to my daughter?” the man in the lead says in an angry hiss. “We just got a frantic bird flying around our heads. When he finally landed, he showed us pictures of an upset Greta.”

“Miss Agios-Dynameostis was . . . well, not quite attacked last evening.” McGonagall says, holding up a hand frantically. “She's physically fine gentlemen, but she's a little shook up and could probably use a visit from her family. As I was saying. It seems that she caught the attention of our former caretaker yesterday, he grabbed her demanding to know who she was and what she was doing when heading to her rooms. Miss Agios-Dynameostis took him down with what looked like martial arts and I told him that his vendetta against the students wouldn't be tolerated. It seems he broke into her room after she went to dinner and tore up her room before. . . using her undergarments as a prop sexually. He was caught by the magical protections Miss Agios-Dynameostis had on her room, and Fawkes, the frantic bird who showed you pictures of your daughter came to the Great Hall to alert her as to what happened. Miss Agios-Dynameostis was accompanied by myself, Auror Tonks,” McGonagall nods at the other woman, “and two other teachers when she returned to her room. She released him from the magical protections and when I asked her if anything had been disturbed, found her room tore up. She looked quite upset when I sent her and her . . cat,” Ares mouth twitches in a near smile, “to Gryffindor Tower where she could spend the night on a couch if needed while Aurors dealt with Mr. Filch and examined her room.”

“Where is this demented individual who thought he could lay his hands on my daughter?” Joxer asks calmly, too calmly. “I wish to . . . discuss . . . with him his utter stupidity for upsetting our daughter in this manner.” Steven, Vernon, Ares, and Hades nod in agreement.

“Please gentlemen, let's leave it to the Ministry?” Tonks holds up her hands placatingly as they turn to look at her. “I understand where you're coming from, hell if I had kids and this happened to one of them I'd want to rip him to shreds myself. If by some horrible mistake, a dunderhead at the ministry allows him to get away with this, you can have him.”

“I've heard of your Ministry,” Joxer growls, “and not all the stories have been good. They will deal with him, or I will.”

“I promise you, if by some reason he gets off, you'll be the first to know. Just don't let anybody know what happens to him.” Tonks thinks a second, “or the idiot who let him get away.”

“Agreed.” Joxer says dryly. “Now, if we can see our daughter please?”

“Certainly gentlemen, it's nearly time for breakfast, I'll have the house elves bring up food for you here, unless you wish to eat with the students? And I must talk to the other teachers to see if we want to cancel classes for the day.”

“We'll eat with the students.” Ares says. “I raise guard dogs, I'm going to be leaving two of them here to protect Greta. That is not debatable.” He says brusquely, waving a hand McGonagall looks stubborn for a second and concedes. “Agreed, but I need to talk to you about Greta's choice in familiars.”

“Why, Purlina's a cat, she's just a little larger than most.” Hades snickers dryly. “In the rules you say a student may have a cat, a rat, a toad, or an owl. Purlina's a cat, case closed.” McGonagall starts to says something. “Case closed,” he repeats firmly, putting a little bit of his power into the words. McGonagall still looks stubborn but realizes that what they said is the truth and arguing wouldn't change the situation and would just make her look like a shrew.

“Gentlemen, while you are here, I would like to talk to you about a broom for Miss Agios Dynameostis. Normally, students aren't allowed brooms of their own until their second year, but Miss Agios-Dynameostis is a natural when it comes to flying.” Steven's lips twitch suspiciously as he leans over towards Hades. “I wonder why?” he snickers softly. Hades laughs quietly as they follow McGonagall and Tonks down the stairs towards the Great Hall.

Greta wakes up when a House elf pops into the room, taking a clean set of clothing from her with a smile and a whispered thank you. The house elf disappears with the nightgown she'd brought for Greta the night before, leaving washcloth, soap, and towels in the bathroom off the room. Greta quietly uses the bathroom, coming out of the room to find Ginny and Hermione sitting on the couch, watching in disbelief 'Lina snoring in front of the fireplace. A house elf appears in front of her and she opens one eye, seeing the plate of food put in front of her before standing up, stretching and yawning and walking over to Greta, leaning against her legs and depositing a layer of cat hair on her slacks. Greta rolls her eyes, sighs, and brushes her pants off, dumping the cat hair in a trash can.

Greta follows them down the stairs to the Great Hall, sitting at the Gryffindor table as the other students begin walking into the room, tying ties, straightening clothes, yawning and rubbing sleep from their eyes, or frantically finishing homework at the last minute. The Head table is empty of teachers, and the students who are present start gossiping about what the matter might be. Finally the teachers start coming in, accompanied by five men. Greta jumps up from her chair the second she sees them, knocking it over and running across the Great Hall to throw herself in their arms.

“Who are they?” Neville asks, looking at the men holding his new friend.

“I don't know who three of them are, but two of them are Greta's fathers, we met them at Diagon Alley.” Ginny says.

“They're all Greta's fathers,” Scott says, dropping into his usual spot at the table. “You see the man with the dark hair and the sandy haired blond?” He points at each man in turn. Everybody currently at the table nods. “Those are Greta's adoptive fathers from the United States, the other guy is Unc' Ares.” slurring his words slightly so it sounds like Harry, “the third member of the trio.”

“Greta's got five fathers?” Ginny asks, looking at the group currently taking turns holding the other girl.

“Yup, Uncs Arry, Des, and Jox are a trio, they've been together nearly forever. Uncs Steve and
Vern have been together nearly as long, though they've got to pretend they're not a couple since Unc Steve's kinda famous in the United States and the media would have a field day if they found out he was gay and his 'business manager' was actually his husband.”

“Well that's stupid.” Neville says.

“Yeah, but muggles are still uptight about it.” Hermione says sadly.

“What about Greta's mother?” Neville asks, “Why isn't she here?”

“Greta doesn't have a mother.” Scott says.

“Did she die?” Neville asks, heart going out to Greta. His mother is still alive, even if she doesn't know who he is.

“Nope, Greta's never had a mother. Unc' Des gave birth to her and Gar.” Harry and Hermione look at Scott stunned.

“Oh wow,” Neville says, “I'd heard about same sex pregnancies in the wizarding world, but I've never actually met a child from one of them.”

“Is that possible?” Harry asks since Hermione is for once stunned. Neville nods as Greta tows her fathers towards the table, which grows bigger to accommodate the new arrivals.

“Good morning students, as some of you may have noticed, there's some visitors sitting at the Gryffindor table. They are Miss Agios-Dynameostis family visiting her for the day. The reason they are here is because. . . Miss Agios-Dynameostis room was entered last night by our former caretaker, Mr. Filch, who has been removed from his position from the school. You will be noticing Aurors on the premises for at least the next week. They will be conducting a survey of the school for us along with Cursebreaker Weasley.”

“Sweet,” the Weasleys say in near unison. Even Percy unbends enough to smile at the thought of his brother coming back for a visit.

“Misters and Miss Weasley, I am asking you to not totally monopolize your brother's attention while he is here.” McGonagall says, her lips twitching. “I am sure he will be taking time from his busy schedule to spend some time with each of you separately and as a family. Since most of the teachers were up all night dealing with this matter, we have decided to cancel classes for the day, all but Astronomy tonight. Miss Agios-Dynameostis, if you can see me after the meal?” The students start talking among themselves, most of them excited about a free day.

“So how is classes going for you?” Vernon asks, passing along the food at the Gryffindor table.

“Pretty good, I passed first year History of magic, Defense, charms, and transfiguration, it was mostly what I already knew, I've still got first year herbology, potions, and astronomy, and I'm doing 2nd and 3rd year Defense at once.” Greta says, “Oh, that reminds me, did you pass my message along to Gaea and Hestia?”

“I did,” Ares chuckles, “They're pleased that you're enjoying your herbology classes and are putting together a set of clippings for your teacher.” Just as he says it, a huge owl comes in and lands beside Ares. “Okay, and who sent you?” he asks fondly as the bird hops onto his shoulder, holding out her leg for him to remove the package. He reads the note and chuckles as he enlarges the two packages, handing them to his daughter with a smile. “Looks like they finished, there's a package for your teacher with clippings, and notes to explain which each plant is and what uses it has, and a package for you. Gaea seems to think that you're probably missing puttering with your plants.”

“She's be right.” Greta says quietly, putting the packages next to her. “Unfortunately, there's not exactly a spot in my room where I can grow things.”

Unknown to Greta, the castle who had recognized her the second she entered had heard the wistful tone in her voice and started moving around, where once had been an outside wall with a small window was now a window with a sitting area with shelves where she could put pots and a stand in the corner where a plant could sit.

An hour later, Greta stands up and walks to the Head table, smiling at Madam Sprout and handing over the package for her. “Your family was able to send clippings already?” She asks, stunned.

“My Aunt and Grandmother love to garden,” Ares says. “They were more than happy to pass that along to Greta and when she asked, they went out immediately and took clippings. There's notes included telling which each one is and what it does. They'd love to find out how they grow in your greenhouses.”

“I'll have a thank you note you can give your aunt and grandmother before you leave.” she promises, taking the package like it was gold and heading for her greenhouses to start planting the clippings.

“You probably didn't know this, but you just made her year.” McGonagall says, watching her with a smile. “It's not often you can find out about new plants.”

“Oh Professor Snape, my uncle is a healer who makes his own potions. I was wondering if the two of you would like me to ask him for a selection of the more common ones? I know the family uses different ones than you do in the general wizarding population. He's worked with drug companies in the past, it might be interesting to see how the non-wizarding community heals. I know Madam Pomfrey has met my uncle in the past.” Ares lips twitch at Greta's understatement.

“If Madam Pomfrey agrees, I might be interested. . .” Severus says in his blandest tones. Greta's not fooled by the bland tone, he's almost as excited as Madam Sprout was. “Please tell your cousin Scott that I will not be seeing him in potions tonight, he should read the next three chapters also, we will be covering them Sunday morning after breakfast.”

“Certainly Professor Snape.” Greta says quietly.

“Does this mean I will not be dealing with your attitude in class anymore?” Severus asks, his lips twitching as he fights a smile.

“Nope,” Greta says with a cheeky grin. “This situation has proven that you're not a total monster, no matter how much you try to scare your students. Neither Scott or I are scared of you, but you've earned my respect.” Severus looks at her and nods gravely. “Miss Agios-Dynameostis,” Minerva says, her lips twitching suspiciously, “your room has been released by the Aurors. Last night you volunteered to have your room searched for contraband since that is what Mr. Filch claimed he was looking for. Would you like to do that now, while the House elves clean your room.”

“Thank you Professor McGonagall, it would be my pleasure.” Greta growls in her throat. “This way I can prove that he had no reason for being in my room.” Professor McGonagall leads the way up to Greta's room. Ares growls as he sees everything tossed around the room, while everybody else's face grow hard.

Minerva blinks as she sees the altered wall in the bedroom, looking at the two Aurors. “The castle started changing while we were here.” they say. “The stand in the corner is new.”

“It's a stand you generally use to put plants on.” Greta says.

“Well, it seems the Castle heard you say that you'd like to grow things while you were here but didn't have the room and changed itself around so that you could. I'll arrange for some supplies to be brought from the greenhouses.”

“Thank you Professor McGonagall.” Greta says as the other woman starts examining her belongings, passing the clothes along to the house elves for cleaning. The rolls of parchment that had ink dumped on them and tore up by Filch are given to the Aurors, McGonagall promising she'd send one of the house elves to Hogsmeade for more school supplies. Greta puts her belongings back in her trunk under Professor McGonagall's serene gaze.

“As you said, you had nothing in your room that would be considered contraband, even if Mr. Filch had the power to search student's rooms.” Professor McGonagall says getting up to leave. “We will be putting a portrait on your door so that this sort of thing does not happen again. Do you need anything besides school supplies to replace what was defaced?”

“New underwear to replace what he. . . defaced?” Greta says dryly. “Right now I feel like I should be lysoling everything in my room before I touch it again.”

“Muggle cleaning product.” Tonks says absently at her look. “There are charms that will clean the room if you want, though I believe the House elves can clean even better than cleaning product.” The house elves present nod vigorously. The room is soon sparkling and the second they leave Purlina appears on the bed.

“Dad, where's Sirius?” Greta asks in Greek as they walk around the school grounds, waving to Harry and Ron who are flying over the Quidditch pitch..

“Apollo brought him to London to set up an apartment for him there until we can destroy Voldemort.” Ares says calmly. “He's upset that he wasn't here when it happened, but we told him you were glad he wasn't there, he might have been discovered or hurt.”

“I'll write him if you guys can pass along the letters.” Greta says. Ares nods, “We will. Now, we've already told McGonagall that we're going to be leaving guard dogs here to protect you.” Greta starts smirking. “Let me guess, you want Frick and Frack?” he says, mentioning Greta's favorite War Dogs, a young set of twin males who, while more than willing to kill when told to, have a soft spot for Greta, following her around on Mount Olympus much to Purlina's amused disgust.

Greta nods vigorously. “And they look enough like Black's animagus form that he could pass for them. I know he'd like to get closer to Harry if possible.”

“And this way we could slip Black in a couple of hours here and there so he can check up on Harry.” Joxer says with a grin, kissing Greta on the cheek. “Brilliant. Can you get close to Harry?”

“Yeah, I'm going to be joining the Gryffindor/Slytherin 3rd year Defense class starting Monday and Tonks is going to tutor some of the students after class. Ron asked me last night if I wanted to join them, I told them I couldn't I had potions lessons with Snape after dinner, then we found out that bastard Filch had broken into my room and everybody's plans were ruined.”

Greta returns to her rooms hours later after her parents have left, Steven leaving for an hour returning with eight packages of Greta's favorite brand of underwear. Smiling, he hands the shopping bag over to Greta, who throws her arms around his neck before shrinking the package and putting it in her pocket before joining the others when the dinner bell rings.

After dinner, she returns to her room before heading out to Astronomy with the Hufflepuffs, finding a new portrait on her door, another down the hall on Scott's door. She whispers the password to the portrait, watching the door open. A smell of jasmine and lilac fill her rooms, testament to the House elves work of erasing all traces of Filch from her room. Smiling, she puts the package of underwear in the trunk, the new school supplies Hagrid had run down to Hogsmeade for and handed over with a shy smile going on the desk. Her school bag is taken out of her cloak pocket and put on the desk by the supplies before she drops onto the bed, holding up her wand and using the cleaning charm Hermione had given her at lunch on everything she'd had hidden in her room. A house elf immediately appears.

“Yous should have told Twinky these here,” she says, starting to clean them. “Twinky could have come to clean them after others leave.”

“Twinky, I'm not really supposed to have this stuff.” Greta says dryly.

“Ahh, students always have stuff they not supposed to have. House elves know all the students hiding places.” Twinky says, cleaning everything and disappearing. Setting the alarm clock for 11:30, she settles onto a couch in the sitting room to read, smiling as Frick and Frack appear in the middle of the room, bags of food and their beds appearing in the corners of the room. Each dog immediately come over to Greta for ear scratches before settling on the floor. The alarm beeping makes her put a bookmark in her spot, standing up and puts on her cloak and a pair of light gloves, grabs her school bag from the desk, shoves paper and a charmed quill in it, shrinking it and shoving it in her pocket before heading up to the Astronomy tower.

A couple hours later, she staggers into her room, dropping her bag on the couch then joining it as she pulls off her shoes and socks, stripping off each piece of clothing on the way into the bathroom. She's not at all surprised to find a hot bath already drawn and sinks into the water with a sigh before waving a hand and dumping her clothes into the laundry basket in the corner of the room. She'd never seen a class like that, or students like the Hufflepuffs. They'd all hugged her at least once, so glad that she was joining them for their class, excited to have a new friend and sad that she hadn't been sorted into a house. They'd shown her the light charms to put on the pen so she could see to take notes, squealing when her pen had started writing on it's own. They'd also shown her the heating charms to put on her clothes so she was warm. Heck, they'd even walked her back to her room.

“Well, I can say this for my first week of school, it wasn't boring.” she mutters as she crawls under the covers. She sighs as she realizes there's a heating charm on the bed, finally beginning like she's beginning to be warm again. Her last thought before falling asleep is, it's not even fall yet, if I'm this cold already I'm going to be miserable when winter finally arrives.
First weekend at school--Let the mind games begin by josette grover

Greta wakes up the next morning; stretching, scratching, and yawning as she walks from the bed to the bathroom. Once the morning necessities are taken care of, she draws a hot bath and pulls out a pair of jeans and plain t-shirt, her oldest most comfortable tennis shoes to wear today.


The sun is just peeking out of the clouds when she comes out of the bathroom, walking over to the new window to check on the seedlings she'd planted yesterday. Greta looks around at a knock on the door, walking over and peering through the one way window before letting Scott into the sitting room.


He smirks at the pots on the shelves, visible through the bedroom door. "So, you going to grow weed or hallucinogenic 'shrooms for Herbology extra credit?" he asks, waggling his eyebrows. He makes a mark in midair as if checking something off a page.


Greta snickers. "I wondered how long it would take you to use that line. I told you that we have potions all day tomorrow right?"


"Yeah, you . . . oh yeah, number 14." Scott says. "Hopefully somebody has detention with us so they can tell the others about the look on his face because I don't believe anybody would believe it."


"Hope it's somebody around our own age so they understand why he's having a stroke." Greta snickers as she heads out the door, leaving her hair down for once. Scott sighs and follows his cousin out of her rooms.


Professor McGonagall chokes on her tea when she looks up from the head table when Greta walks into the room. The other students and teachers, those who had already arrived for breakfast, stop what they're doing and stare at her in disbelief.


"Miss Agios-Dynameostis, would you come here for a second?" Professor McGonagall asks calmly.


"Yes, Professor McGonagall?" Greta asks, standing in front of the table.


"What have you done to your hair?"


"Nothing, I just chose to leave it down today." Greta snickers. "I washed it last night and I can't do a thing with it."


"I was not aware your hair was so long." Minerva says. "Though, the reason I asked you up here was to ask you to start dining at the other house tables starting Monday so that you can meet the rest of the students."


"Actually, I had thought of that myself." Greta says. "A week or so at each table?"


"That would be sufficient, Miss Agios-Dynameostis. Now, just to satisfy my curiosity, just how long is your hair?"


"The last time I bothered to measure it, it was over thirty feet long." Greta says, "If that is all?"


"Yes Miss Agios-Dynameostis, go join your cousin and the others for breakfast." Minerva says, waving her hand as Greta walks back to the table, sweeping her hair over the back of her chair before sitting down.


"That young woman is going to shake the school up, there's no doubt about it." Madam Sprout says calmly, smiling.


"That is not necessarily a good thing." Severus says. "That young woman is determined to bedevil me." Greta, seemingly knowing they were talking about her, looks at the head table and smirks before turning her attention to the others. Neville had stopped and nearly fallen when he first saw Greta, stumbling over his words as he sits down beside her.


"Can I touch it?" he asks.


"My hair? Sure," Greta says, sliding a handful over his arm.


"Is it real?"


Scott snorts, "Well, I don't know about the wizarding world, but you can't find a box of hair dye that color in the muggle world."


"Hair die? Why would you want your hair to die?" Neville asks, stunned.


"Wizards don't dye their hair then?" Greta asks Harry and Hermione, who snicker. "Hair dye, d y e Neville, is a chemical that changes the color of hair. It's used commonly in the muggle community."


"No, there's potions that can temporarily change your hair color, they're mostly used as pranks which change your whole appearance or by Aurors as disguises."


"Is this hair dye. . .," Neville stumbles over the unfamiliar word, "permanent?"


"Yes and no," Greta says, waggling her hand. "There's some that types of dye that wash out after a number of shampoos, those are usually used by kids. Then there's permanent forms of hair dye, they permanently dye the hair and usually need to be touched up every six weeks or so to keep the color even. Scott's hair is dyed." Neville and the others look at him. "What, did you think this was my normal hair color?" he asks, looking at them. The others at the table nod. "Nope, I usually dye my hair a couple times a year."


"Was it a spell or potion you used on your hair?" Hermione asks. Greta looks at her for a second then realizes what she's asking. "No, this is my normal hair length, I just kept it in my hair clip. Today, I decided to leave it loose."


"How . . . how long is your hair?"


"Last time I bothered to measure, it was over 30 feet, probably a lot longer now."


"Do you drink this hair dye?" Neville asks, shuddering.


"No, there's two chemicals that you mix together, then you rub it into your hair like shampoo. You let it sit for about half an hour for the color to set, then rinse it off." Scott shrugs. "The chemical will stain your hair and clothing, so you need to be careful when you're applying it."


"Is this hair dye expensive?"


"Nope, usually about five to ten dollar for a box in the states. I don't know how much it is in Muggle London. In America, you can pretty much pick it up in any store that has a health and beauty section." Scott says, "That reminds me, I need to ask Mom and Tooey if they can send me some. That is, if shrinking it to fit on a owl then making it big again won't make it go bad."


"If not I'm sure one of the parents will be more than happy to bring you some when they make another visit." Greta snorts. "Write them and ask."


Suddenly, Ginny knocks the chair she'd been sitting in over as she rushes across the room to throw herself into the arms of the red-haired man who just entered the Great Hall. "Bill," she cries, grabbing him by the hand and pulling him to the Gryffindor table..


"I take it that's your brother the cursebreaker?" Scott asks Ron.


"Yep." he says with a grin, before getting up to join his brothers and Ginny in greeting their oldest brother. Scott and Greta exchange amused looks and continue eating.


"Bill, this is Greta and her cousin Scott, they're exchange students from the United States." Ron says, smiling as Ginny pulls Bill into a seat beside her.


"Hello Greta, Scott." Bill says, nodding at the two students. "What year are you in?"


"Technically first years." Greta says, waggling a hand at him, "but we're being tutored privately in most of the classes." Everybody looks up as the mail owls begin flying into the room, landing in front of various people as Professor McGonagall stands up at the Head table.


"Attention Students, as you may have noticed Cursebreaker Weasley has arrived. Please do not bother him or the Aurors while they are working. They will be going over the entire school while they are here, including the Student Houses." The teachers get up from the head table and Bill wipes his mouth on a napkin. "I'll see you lot later, try to stay out of trouble, huh?" he says, getting up from the table.


Greta smirks at the disgusted look on Ron, George, Fred, and Ginny's face, and the disgruntled reply of "I never get in trouble' from Percy as she gets up, loading her pockets with a couple of apples and fried egg, toast, and bacon sandwiches for later.


"Any plans for today?" Scott asks as he follows the others out of the Great Hall. Harry had already been picked up by Arthur Weasley by portkey to go to Little Whinging to start arrangements for the Dursley family and Aunt Margaret.


"Goof off?" Greta says with a smirk.


"Sounds good to me." Scott says with a grin. "I think I'll write Mom and Tooey while I got a free second."


Greta snorts. "Free second? Scott, we got a whole day of 'free seconds."


"Yeah, but Mom and Tooey would be stunned if they thought I was writing them instead of doing something else. . ."


"Like homework?" Greta snickers. "Or studying for a test?"


Scott snickers as Frick and Frack come back from watering the bushes outside. They take up spots on either side of Greta, flanking her as the pair walk up the stairs to their rooms. A yell has them pausing and turning around.


"Bill's going to be with McGonagall and the aurors most of the day." Ron says, coming up. "I asked Madam Hooch if we could use the pitch for some flying practice if you're interested." Scott and Greta exchange looks and head up to their rooms to change their clothes and grab cloaks before heading outside. Scott snickers as he goes into his room, finding a vial next to his cloak with the words 'Drink this and you won't be airsick' written in Apollo's handwriting.


Ron and the twins are waiting outside with Madam Hooch when Scott and Greta arrive outside, Greta putting up her hair as she walks outside. Madam Hooch calmly hands over the two student brooms, shading her eyes with a hand as she watches the students take to the air. The two new students appear to be naturals, but whatever is the girl wearing on her face? They appear to be some sort of glasses, but she's never seen a pair quite like those.


"Life's so bright, you need to wear shades?" Scott says with a smirk when Greta joins them in midair.


"Huh?" Ron, the twins, and an older student they've introduced as Oliver Wood say in unison.


"It's a line from a muggle song, guys." Greta says, rolling her eyes. "What do you want to do first?"


A couple hours later Madam Hooch blows a whistle, motioning them to land when they look down at her. "You have a hour before lunch, I'd suggest taking a shower." she says calmly, taking the two school brooms from Greta and Scott.


"I don't know about you, but I would love to soak in a hot tub right about now, followed by a massage." Scott moans as they head up to their rooms.


"Remember that room Professor Lupin showed us? The room of requirement he called it, supposedly became anything you needed? Think we could find a couple hot tubs in there?" Greta says, looking over her shoulder. Scott quickens his steps and they approach the wall Professor Lupin had shown them earlier. Touching it reveals a door and they walk inside, sighing in relief when they see a pool, steaming hot tubs, and showers. Quickly stripping off her clothes, Greta slides into the hot water. Almost instantly a house elf appears, picking up the discarded clothing before it can hit the floor. Clean clothing is left for them when they get out, which is ten minutes before the lunch bell rings.


"You two okay, you looked a little sore after getting off your brooms?" Ron asks, sitting down across the table from Scott.


"My butt is not made to sit on a broom that long." Scott says. "You say a game can last hours?"


"Yeah, I know of one game that lasted over six hours."


"I don't know how anybody could stand to be on a broom that long. You would have to carry me off the field." Greta says. "I get a broom, it's going to have a little extra padding."


"That's why we usually don't play quidditch on the school brooms," Ollie says, sitting by them. "The school brooms, to put it bluntly," he ducks his head to make sure no teachers are in earshot, "are Shite. Those students who are interested in Quidditch or just interested in flying usually get better brooms before they start their second year at Hogwarts."


Greta looks at the food in front of her and sighs. "Don't you ever get in any muggle foods?" she asks Hermione and Harry. They shake their heads. "Most muggle students buy snack foods during the summer and shrink them in their student trunks when they want a snack." Hermione says, ducking her head.


"Yeah, but you can't shrink and store a piping hot fresh from the oven, cheese dripping down your chin pizza." Greta sighs. "Tacos." Scott sighs. "So stuffed with all the toppings it's threatening to fall off as you eat them."


"Ice cream." Hermione sighs. "An ice cream cone on a hot day."


"What's pizza, ice cream, and tacos?" Ginny asks down the table. Her brothers look interested as well, it must be something good the way all three muggle born students are staring off into space.


"Pizza is . . . well, you'd take the same flour, eggs, and what not you use for bread and spread the dough out in a circle anywhere from six inches to a foot and a half. The edges usually have more dough than the rest, and you roll it up so it's higher than the rest. You can either bake it ahead of time or all at once. Then there's the sauce, crushed tomatoes with some spices is spread onto the dough. Then you have the toppings, it can be anything, ham, pepperoni, hamburger, sausage, plus veggies. You spread all that out on the crust, sprinkle shredded cheese on the top and bake it in an oven until the crust browns and the cheese melts. There's any number of variations you can make."


"For tacos you take ground beef and cook it until it's brown, breaking up any lumps with a spoon before you add spices. There's two different types of taco shells, hard shell and soft shell, you put the meat and toppings in the shell and you can eat it with your bare hands." Hermione says.


"You can also use ground turkey or pork instead of ground beef, chicken as well." Scott says.


"Ice cream, well you take whole milk, which we have plenty of here," Hermione says, "Add other ingrediants and freeze it. It comes in various flavors and is a favorite treat for kids and adults on hot days."


"How come we never hear about any of these foods?" Ron asks.


Hermione snorts. "I asked the Headmaster once, basically they don't want to bother, the purebloods might complain about having to eat muggle food." she says snidely. "Some of the older pureblood families would howl at their precious children eating new foods, they might enjoy it and they couldn't have that."


"There is also the need for electricity, Ms. Granger." Professor McGonagall says, having heard the entire conversation.


"Oh you don't need electricity for ice cream," Greta says with a innocent little smile. /here teacher, teacher, teacher, nice teacher teacher teacher/ she purrs silently. /Take the nice shiny bait./ "Making ice cream was a treat the whole family would get together for on Sundays long before their was electricity. In fact there's still some communities out there who don't have electricity because it's against their beliefs and they have no problems making ice cream or any other type of food."



Infernal Muggle Devices by josette grover

"If there is no need for electricity to make these muggle foods." Madam Sprout starts to say.


"Then why have not been offering them?" Professor Flitwick says. "I fear that Ms. Granger's reasoning, if rather snide, was the truth. The purebloods would raise a fuss at being forced to eat muggle food, I've had a few who would snitch on their muggleborn housemates for having muggle treats in their trunks."


"Yes, even in my house." Madam Sprout says sadly. "I had to remind some students that this was not against the rules and that tattling made them look like spoiled little children, after all they could have snacks from home, and they were more likely to get them then the muggleborn students were." She scowls "Of course we'd still have one who'd go whining, I'd get a call from Albus and have to take the student and their trunk to his office, show him and Argus who would be gnashing his teeth to be allowed to punish the student for 'contraband' that it wasn't. I hate to admit but I ended up taking points from the student who had complained and chided them in front of the entire house."


"I don't have any problem with muggle things." Madam Pince says huffily.


"Oh, then you have popular muggle books on your shelves for the students to read when they want to?" Professor Flitwick asks, knowing the answer. "No, of course you don't." he sniffs. "I have a small selection of muggle books for the students in my house for the first years who are homesick and haven't learned to bring books and other muggle items with them."


Greta finishes her meal and heads up to her room, grabbing her laptop and walking outside to sit in the sun to read her mail. Ginny and Hermione, having seen her going out, head over to where she's sitting.


"Oh, you can't use those here, the magic interferes with electrical . . . ." Hermione begins to say, then stops stunned as the computer boots up. "How?"


"The American Wizarding community learned how to block magical interference decades ago." Greta says. "Since the European Wizarding community is still stuck in the dark ages, of course you never heard of it."


"Is that one of those com-pew-ters 'Mione has told us about?" Greta nods. "Yep, I came out to check my e-mail." Greta says. Her fingers fly over the keyboard as she hooks into a Dayton industries satellite overhead and opens her e-mail program. Most of the couple hundred messages are instantly deleted as spam, leaving a handful to read later.


"You can get on the internet?" Hermione moves closer so she can see the screen, an icon stating 'Dayton 'net services' is blinking at the bottom of the screen.


"Yeah, my dad's company has access to satellites in orbit, I bounced off one to get online." Greta says absently as she starts checking her favorite sites.


Professor McGonagall is staring at the trio of young women, as Severus turns on her.


"Minerva. . ." he starts spluttering. "You cannot possibly mean to allow her to keep that . . .thing here at Hogwarts."


"There is nothing I can do, Severus, muggle electronic devices have never been banned because we always believed that magic interfered with them. Muggleborn students would bring them but grow disillusioned when they wouldn't work in the wizarding community."


Snape continues to glower as the news that the new student has a working computer here at Hogwarts and the Americans found a way to shield electronics decades ago make the ranks of the muggle born students. Soon there's a small crowd of muggleborns and some interested purebloods, usually friends of muggleborns, gather around the girls.


"Do American schools use electronics?"


"Of course, one of the schools my parents looked at before they decided to homeschool me require new students get laptops along with their other supplies their first year. You couldn't get online with them, they were only used for homework, but you could get online in the library for research or to check your e-mail, though they had filters so the kids couldn't get onto porn sites."


"How do you recharge the batteries?" one of the muggleborn Ravenclaws asks.


"If you had electricity, you could recharge it normally." Greta says, looking up. "There's a spell that makes them run off magic when there's no electricity, a lot of people who work out in the field use them. It also recharges the battery when the computer is shut down."


Snape is silently seething by this time, how dare that . . . girl come to the school and start upsetting all the traditions that have been in place for centuries. He goes to stop this nonsense immediately only to be grabbed. "Leave them alone," McGonagall hisses, dragging him away. "She is not harming anything by having her device with her. I know that the muggle born students miss their electronic devices when they return to Hogwarts after the summer."


"But Minerva, it's unseemly. . ." he starts to protest.


"No Severus, and that is final."


"I'm sure the board will have something to say about this." he threatens, Albus would never have allowed anything like, he looks over his shoulder at the group of students, this.


"The board has nothing to say about the matter, and if somebody brings it up, they will overstepping their bounds." she tells him. "Albus might have let you and Filch run rampant over the students, but I'm not Albus." she tells him, ice in her voice.


"Professa, the Minister is in your office, he says he has to talk to you urgently." Hagrid's booming voice calls across the grounds.


"Thank you Hagrid." she says, heading back into the castle.


"Greta, put that away." Scott calls, "I got a frisbee."


Greta shuts down her laptop, sending it back to her room with a few quiet words and gets up and stretches.


"What's a frisbee?" George asks.


"Muggle toy." Hermione says absently. She looks up, shading her face with her hand as Scott twists his waist and sends the frisbee in Greta's direction. Greta leaps up and catches it one handed, sending it spinning back to Scott.


"Is it more electronics?" Ginny asks.


"Nope, just a disc of lightweight plastic, you toss it and the air holds it up as it moves." Hermione says. The frisbee lands by them and she picks it up, handing it to Ginny. "You hold it like this, now bring your arm back and throw it." She smiles as Ginny squeals when the frisbee goes flying.


Minerva pauses at the castle door, attracted to the sound of Ginny's squeal. She sees the object go flying through the air, more and more people joining the game. She smiles as she sees the students having fun and wonders what that odious little toad of a minister wants, it's usually a couple of weeks before he starts trying to push his weight around at the school.


"What do you want, Fudge?" Minerva says, settling in the chair behind the desk. She gives him a 'you are taking up valuable time' look when he starts blustering.


"Where is Dumbledore?"


"Away." she says shortly. No way she's telling him that he's in St. Mungo's. "What did you want, I have things to do." she glares at him.


"I am to understand you have a student from the United States here?"


"Yes, not that it's any of your concern." McGonagall says.


"I don't like it."


"I don't care whether you like it or not." She tells him. "She has family in Europe and her family requested that she be placed here at our school."


"I'm only thinking of your teachers," he quickly says. Not that that's anywhere near the truth, he doesn't like things being done without his input. 

 

“They must be horribly inconvenienced by having her here.”

 


"And why would our teachers be inconvenienced?" She asks, raising an eyebrow at him.


"Well," he splutters. "She hasn't had a magical education like our students?"


"Actually she has a rather extensive magical education, I've seen the books the American schools use, classes we offer 7th year students they offer 3rd and 4th years. I had no idea we were so far behind the Americans."


Fudge frantically tries to think of another excuse why the American student should leave the school and be put in his 'gentle' custody.


"Won't there be a language barrier?"


"I believe that while it is different, Americans do speak English, Cornelius."


"She's demanding concessions you don't give other students." he bleats.


"What sort of concessions, Cornelius? A room of her own? She is somewhat older than a normal first year student, her height makes fitting in a normal student bed impossible, and we do have plenty of guest rooms."


"She attacked one of your employees." he bleats.


"He laid his hands on her first and was warned to leave her alone, he chose not to."


"But you had him arrested." he whines. How can Filch function as his lackey at the school if he's not at the school?


"Indeed, he broke into a student's room, tore up her belongings under the pretense of searching for contraband which is not one of his duties, soiled her undergarments, and there have been allegations he bothered other students that were not acted on, they will be now."


Fudge whines and complains but McGonagall is implacable, he's forced to leave the school without the American girl in his custody, how can he turn her over to the American government for the reward money if the school won't turn her over to him and with Filch still in Auror custody. It's not FAIR!!! He'll speak to the board, they'll listen to him and do what he wants, he's the Minister, she's just a teacher.


"Idiot, I don't know how Albus put up with his whining and fawning." McGonagall says.


No sooner than the door shuts behind Fudge than it opens again, Severus sailing into the room his robes billowing behind him.


"Minerva, I am formally asking you to ban any and all muggle devices, they have no place in our school."


"No, " she says bluntly. "They have never been banned before and I'm not going to now just because you don't like them."


"Well, I won't allow any of those infernal devices in my house."


"Your house, for the most part, is filled with pureblood snobs.. They'd cut their own throats before they ever deigned to even look at a muggle item." McGonagall snorts. Severus turns and walks out of the office, leaving Minerva sitting behind the desk wondering how did Albus put up with the man and his moods?


Professor Snape gets even by josette grover

She walks to the window, smirking as she sees what's bothering Severus this time. Somebody had copied the muggle toy Mr. Evil had brought out and now there's a handful of them being thrown across the lawn by the students. She smiles, it's nice to see the students enjoying themselves.


Ron runs into his dorm, coming out with his and Harry's brooms. He tosses his to Harry, makes a copy of that muggle flying disk Scott had brought out and takes to the air. The Twins grin and run up to their dorm, some other students following their example until there's as many students playing in the air as there are on the ground.


Only the house elves fussing about the students not coming in to eat finally breaks up the groups playing. The flying students land and everybody heads up to their rooms to bathe or freshen up before dinner. Snape is sulking as the students troop into the Great Hall, scowling at Greta and Scott as they drop into seats at the Gryffindor table.


McGonagall taps her water glass and stands up. “Well students, did you enjoy yourself this afternoon?”


All the tables but Slytherin break out into excited babble. From the smiles of most of the students it would seem that they did enjoy themselves. The Slytherins are all glowering at the other students of course but that's to be expected. Slytherins always did look down their noses at the other Houses.


The food quickly appears on the table and everybody starts eating, magic might take a lot out of you but it's nothing compared to a couple of hours of having fun. The House Elves are ecstatic at the healthy appetites of the students, finally they're eating as much as they should.


After dinner Greta sends a message off to her Aunt Hestia, if anybody would have the information on how to make ice cream from scratch, it would be the goddess of the home and hearth. Leaning back in her chair, she props her feet up on the desk and idly wishes for a hot fudge sundae and fresh baked hot from the oven chocolate chip cookies. A house elf pops into the room and places a large bowl in front of her, a plate of cookies placed next to it.


“Ohh, thank you.” Greta purrs, picking up the spoon and letting it melt in her mouth. “That is just how I like it.”


“Missy Greta's family tell house elves how to take care of Missy Greta and her cousin. Yous just ask for anything yous want.” the house elf looks around the room, picking up her dirty clothes and vanishing. Smiling, Greta opens the cabinet containing her television and dvd player, putting in a movie. She looks up as a thump issues from the corner of her room, a note flutters to the desk in front of her, and she smirks as she sees the instructions for homemade ice cream. Pausing the dvd, she gets up and walks over to the box, seeing an ice cream maker inside. Two books appear on the top of the box, a fifty pound bag of kosher salt appearing next to it in a plastic bucket. She settles back in the chair, turning the dvd back on.


Professor McGonagall and the other teachers had returned the American wizarding textbooks they'd borrowed from her, they're now sitting in the sitting room with the muggle texts she'd used while being homeschooled, she doesn't know why her fathers packed those in her trunk but she'll probably have a use for them sooner or later.


The dvd ends two hours later and Greta looks at her watch, then at the bed. She really should try to get some sleep, she's got to deal with Sir Greasy hair snark a lot tomorrow, he's going to be even more pissed because the kids were playing with muggle toys all afternoon. An evil imp, that sounds suspiciously like Strife, whispers in her ear to show her ass tomorrow. Telling the evil imp to shut up, she gets up, undresses and crawls into bed.


Greta wakes up the next morning and gets out of bed, stretching and yawning as she pours herself a cup of coffee and warms a hot pocket in the microwave before heading into the bathroom to shower and dress. She moans when she realizes that Snape will insist on her wearing her school uniform so she detours through her bedroom naked and dripping to grab it. Her hair is bundled up into a small bun at the base of her skull to keep it out of her way and she grabs her cauldron, potions supplies, and school bag before heading down to the Great Hall.


Sliding into a seat between Hermione and Ginny, she accepts the bowl Neville pushes towards her, making a face as she gulps the pumpkin juice so she doesn't have to taste it.


“It grows on you,” Hermione says. She hadn't liked the taste of pumpkin juice either at first.


“So does foot fungus, I still don't like it.” Greta snorts. “Something against orange juice?”


“The wizarding world uses pumpkins in everything.” Hermione rolls her eyes. “I have yet to see orange juice here unless you buy the oranges and squeeze them yourself.”


They eat quickly, Snape glaring at them from the head table. A house elf appears with a note, telling them Greta and Scott to eat more than they normally would, it was going to be a long day. The twins exchange looks. “Ohh boy.” Fred starts to say. “Professor Snape is going to use a time dilation spell.”


“Time dilation spell, you mean a timeturner?” Hermione asks.


“A time turner and a time dilation spell are two different things entirely.” Percy says with a sniff. “A timeturner allows you to be in two different places at the same time, a time dilation spell affects a room or building, time moves normally outside but time is different inside the bubble, hours days or years could pass inside the bubble while minutes or hours pass on the outside or vice versa. Once the bubble is up, nobody or nothing can enter the room until it is taken down or broken by outside forces. I would take Professor Snape's advice and eat more food than your normally would in a meal, you're going to need it.”


Greta looks at Scott. “I think we pissed him off yesterday.”


“Awww, poor baby.” Scott says sarcastically. “Reminds me of my dad when something doesn't go the way he wanted, he pouts and sulks until Ma smacks him upside the head and tells him off in German.”


Greta and Scott finish their second and then third full plate of food at the house elves urging before getting up from the table and heading for the dungeons.


A scowling Snape follows them into the room, shutting the door securely behind them. Greta can feel the magic wrap around the room as the wards come up and Snape casts the time dilation spell. “As Mr. Weasley no doubt told you about time dilation spells. We will be in here approximately sixteen hours, we will break for lunch, so you will wish to eat as much food as you did at breakfast, if not more, then come back here for another sixteen hours. We will be doing this every Sunday until you have completed your first year potions to my satisfaction.” He sniffs at them, handing each of them a scroll.


“These scrolls are a copy of every potion a first year student makes. The ones in red you have not done yet, when you start a potion it turns blue, when I find it acceptable it turns gold. Find the potion in your books and start preparing the ingredients for the first potion on the list, which . . ..”


Professor Snape works with Scott, looking occasionally over at Greta. She may be an annoyance, but she is competent with potions, much like Ms. Granger thinks she is. They've completed two potions before he calls for a break to check their potions, Greta sighing as she stands up and stretches.


“Acceptable, if barely.” he says. Scott and Greta give each other identical 'whatever' looks and turn their attention back to the list of potions.


“Can we jump around the list?” Scott asks.


“No Mr. Evil, you must make these potions in order, you will need the experience gained on the harder potions.” Snape says. “Many students have tried doing potions they weren't capable of, much to their detriments. I'm surprised Ms. Granger hasn't tried, she is the type to think she knows better than the teacher and work ahead.”


“Her or Percy.” Greta snorts. “They both come across as know it alls.”


“Indeed.” Professor Snape nods in acknowledgment of that jibe. “Now, lets get back to work shall we, the sooner you finish these the sooner we can break for lunch. And I'd like a four inch parchment on the uses of each of these potions by next week.” Scott winces as he looks at the list. “The potions you have worked on Mr. Evil, not all of the potions.” Snape says almost in amusement. “Though you will be giving me parchments on those as well, when you have completed them.”


Scott's stomach growls and Greta reaches absently in her robe pocket, tossing Scott the wizarding world equivalent of a cereal bar. “Here, Hermione had the house elves make me these when she found out we'd be working under a time dilation spell.” She nibbles on a second one and looks over at Professor Snape. “The House elves brought a plate of them in before I put up the spell.” he waves at his desk where a plate sits on the corner. “Help yourselves when you are hungry, I will bring the spell down when the bells ring for lunch.”


“Umm,” Scott starts to say. Snape snorts in real amusement. “There is a bathroom off my office that we can use if we are here that long. Mr. Evil.”


“Thank you Professor.” Scott says, he hurriedly heads that way. “The red door, Mr. Evil.” Snape calls after him. “And yourself, Ms. Agios-Dynameostis?”


“I don't need to yet, I went before came down.” Greta says smugly when Scott comes out. He rolls his eyes.


“Mr. Evil, Ms. Agios-Dynameostis, please go clean the two cauldrons you have used before starting the next potion.” Greta and Scott take their cauldrons over to the industrial sized sinks, they'd seen the others scrub cauldrons during detention, and quickly clean them before bringing them back to their tables.


They've completed two more potions, learning about the characteristics of the new herbs they're using when the bell for lunch brings. Professor Snape has them put their herbs up and clean their cauldrons before he takes down the spell, bringing five house elves rushing into the room.


Professor Snape looks at them, one eyebrow raised. “Whatever do you want now?” he asks, sneering slightly. That irritating Dobby, Harry Potter's tagalong is in the lead. “Professor McGonagall says, you eat here. Minister Fudge is in a snit, trying to get the board to remove Missy Greta and her cousin.”


“Fudge always was a fool.” Snape snorts. “What does that idiot think he is doing involving himself in the matters of the school?”


“He's trying to make himself the big hero, swooping in and taking away the annoying exchange students so the teachers will clasp their hands and thank him profusely for saving them.” Greta snorts. “Nice to see that stupidity is a universal trait among politicians.”


Snape muffles an amused snort. They settle around the desk, the house elves bringing more food as the plates empty.


“How long were we in there?” Scott asks.


“Not quite 20 hours,” Greta says automatically. Professor Snape raises an eyebrow at him. “That's one of my gifts, I can tell how much time has passed.” The house elves nod vigorously. “Missy Greta right.”


“Fascinating, I have not seen anybody with that fine grasp of time without the aid of a turner. When a specific amount of time needs to pass, most wizards use a time turner”


Meanwhile up in the room hastily turned into a boardroom, Fudge's face falls when the argument turns against him. Not only are the teachers not willing to turn away the exchange students, the board is giving him 'why are you bothering us' looks for calling an emergency meeting.


“What do you mean you won't turn her over to me, don't you realize she's making your jobs more difficult?”


“And how, pray tell is she making our jobs more difficult?” Professor Flitwick says calmly. “The student in question passed four first year classes her first week.”


“That means she flunked three of them.” Fudge says triumphantly.


“No, the other three classes are more hands on, the teachers have decided it would be best for her to attend these classes in a normal manner.” Minerva says calmly. The floo brightens and the woman Minister Fudge had requested appears.


“Ahhh Madam, so glad that you could join us.” he minces over towards her, smarmy smile in place. She sneers down at him from her greater height. “You wished to see me, Professor McGonagall.”


“Yes dear, I wasn't aware that you were the head of the education department.” Minerva smiles. “We have an American exchange student here, the Minister is bleating to have her removed because he thinks teaching them is going to take time away from our other students.”


Marta Gwyneth snorts. “If they are American, they're at least three grades ahead of us.” she glares at the Minister. “I have told you repeatedly that our schools were behind the Americans but you didn't want to believe me.” She pulls out a scroll, a copying charm soon has one in front of every board member. This is where Hogwarts compares to Salem Institute and other American Schools. As you can see, our seventh year classes they get in their third and fourth year.”


“The American students make all our electives mandatory?” Madam Sprout asks. “They don't offer elective classes?”


“Oh they offer them, but they're classes our students wouldn't be able to understand.”


“But the Americans don't even have magical Universities.” Minister Fudge bleats.


“They don't need them.” she snorts. “By the time an American Student graduates, they've got the equivalent of a University degree here. Cambridge has taken in a few American students who needed to have an official degree for their jobs.”



This story archived at http://imagine.e-fic.com/viewstory.php?sid=128