Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


The light coming in from the upper wall gives a soft glow to the platform as Billy gets ready to go to sleep. He sets his alarm clock for seven am so he can make the trip to the recycling center and quickly settles down to sleep.

The others don't settle down as quickly, Courtney wonders why she never bothered to ask Billy where he'd been living, Jay is still trying to wrap his head around the fact that Captain Marvel is a thirteen year old boy, Pietr is trying to decide how to get Billy to come in for an exam, not as Captain Marvel when this is all over, while Kara tries to deal with the feeling that it's cowardice to hide like this instead of fight the alien invaders even though she knows that by not using their powers they're defeating the invaders, while Rick worries about his mother, he wishes she had been home when he'd left that message for her.

"Worried about your wife?" Pietr asks as Jay gets up, sitting on the edge of the platform and letting his legs dangle over the edge a few hours later.

"Partially, I know that she's in no real danger, the aliens don't seem intent in harming innocents. . .mostly I'm wondering how I could have been so wrong about Captain Marvel."

Pietr's looking at him, he knows he is even in the darkness of the train tunnel. "I was worried about Marvel hanging out with a girl who was ten years or so younger than him, I had no idea. . ."

"That he was actually a boy who was younger than her?" Pietr asks. "None of us did. I'm wondering if there were any signs I missed. . ."

"We didn't see anything because we just saw Captain Marvel, he didn't spend much time with us outside of battles. And nobody would have thought to ask him. . . 'Excuse me Captain Marvel, but are you actually a boy in a grown up body?'"

"Even if somebody had thought to ask him, could he have told us the truth?" Pietr asks. "Remember what Courtney and Billy said, if it wasn't for the invasion, the Wisdom of Solomon wouldn't have let him tell us the truth?"

"Why?"

"Would you have let me stay with the Justice Society, continue to fight?" Billy asks, walking up to them in the darkness.

"No, I have a hard time letting Courtney fight some battles, that's why Jakeem doesn't join us more than he does." Jay says automatically.

"And that is why the Wisdom of Solomon wouldn't let me tell you. The world needs Captain Marvel, you need Captain Marvel." Billy smiles sadly and heads back to bed.

"Sometimes I hate our job." Jay says. "Billy shouldn't have to worry about hiding who he really is from us because the world needs Captain Marvel."

"What would have happened if he had told you?"

"If he told me he was really twelve when he joined us? I would have done the same thing I do with Jakeem, only using his abilities for emergencies, which thinking back on the battles he's been through with us would have been most of the time I'm afraid. If he'd told us the entire story, that he was homeless? I would have moved him into a room in the brownstone like Kara or arranged for one of us to take him in."