Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Caleb couldn’t help sneaking glances at Jim’s companion as he drove down the highway. There was something...odd about the younger man, other than his accent. Then there was the fact that Jim had lied about his car for some reason. He knew they weren’t possessed, they’d handled holy water and Jim had recited the exorcism but there was still something weird going on.

“Staring at him won’t change anything, in fact it will probably wake him and he hasn’t had much sleep the last few days.” Jim whispered and Caleb shifted uncomfortably.

“Who is he?”

“My ward for the last four years.” Jim answered and Caleb nearly swerved off the road, earning a groan from the young man in the back.

“Ward? You never said anything!”

“I know, I never wanted him exposed to hunting Caleb. He’s had a hard life, I just wanted him to have a safe place to call home. He found a demon about to kill me and managed to distract her long enough for her to be restrained and then exorcised.”

“He looks like a kid, how old is he?”

“Twenty. I know he’s short but four years of good food when near the end of your growth can’t undo years of previous damage.”

“Abuse?” Jim sighed and then nodded slowly.

“I believe so, neglect at the least. I found him collapsed on the church grounds, injured and ill when he was sixteen. To keep him from being sent back I applied for custody. One look at him and then the placement test I gave him and it went through fairly easily. He hadn’t been to school since he was eleven and now he’s at college.”

“Sounds like it’s a good thing you found him. But why bring him?”

“Because he’s as stubborn as John and twice as sneaky. He refused to let me come alone and he does know how to fight. I get the feeling it was a rather necessary skill when he was younger.”

“Poor kid. Think he’ll want to hunt now he knows?”

“I pray not.”

---------------------------------------
“Is that the car?” Harry pointed out the window to a black Impala and Jim nodded, pulling Caleb’s truck into the empty spot next to it. They’d taken turns driving so they’d only had to stop for fuel and bathroom breaks. Caleb had been hesitant about letting Harry drive but he was a natural and he had stayed awake far longer than the other had, Jim suspected he used magic to keep himself alert.
“Caleb we’re here.” Harry called to the back seat where the hunter was sprawled, fast asleep. The older man groaned and cracked open an eye before sitting up and stretching.

“Let’s get this over with then.” He grumbled and they got out of the truck.

“Why do I get the feeling this John person isn’t going to be happy to see us?” Harry asked and Jim laughed.

Harry watched as the door opened before they reached it, revealing a tall, greying, gruff man. He stared at them for a bit before stepping back to let them in, paying extra attention to Harry. He didn’t mind though, after all he was the only stranger in the group. The two younger men in the room though...Harry mentally shook himself. No drooling on Jim’s friends sons. Still...looking couldn’t hurt. Both were tall and well muscled and definitely drool worthy as some of his dorm mates would have said. Not that he’d say or do anything. Jim was a priest after all and liking other blokes? Yeah, he was keeping quiet. Then again he’d accepted Harry as a wizard and wasn’t there something about not letting ‘witches’ live?

“John this is my ward Harry Potter. Harry this is John Winchester and his sons, Dean and Sam.” Jim introduced and Harry smiled at the three.

“Nice to meet you.” He greeted and the one he assumed was Sam smiled back slightly.

“Since when have you had a ward?” John asked, eyeing Harry.

“For the last four years. I just didn’t want him finding out about all this so I made sure he never met any hunters.”

“So you brought a kid with you who knows nothing about hunting!” John thundered and Harry tensed, ready to defend Jim in an instant. As if sensing it Jim reached back to lay a calming hand on his arm.

“Twenty is hardly a child and while he may have only just learnt of demons he is a very good fighter. He managed to hold one off that had come to kill me until I could exorcise it.” Jim explained calmly, ignoring the disbelieving looks coming from two of the Winchesters. Caleb was nodding in agreement with what he’d said and Sam was looking thoughtful.

“Look I get it, I’m an unknown and you can’t trust me. That’s fine. But an extra set of eyes never hurts. At least I can serve as a lookout.” Harry stood up to John, instantly earning Sam’s respect and Dean’s amusement.

-----------------------
Harry shifted slightly, trying to increase circulation without losing his grip on the branch. Why did he have to say he could be a lookout? He’d been stuck up the stupid tree for the past three hours and it was driving him mad. From his vantage point he could see Dean and Sam in their car with John’s truck several feet further down the road. He could also just make out Jim and Caleb hidden on opposite sides of the house in the bushes. The tree also gave him a good view into the nursery where the baby they were here to protect was sleeping. His grip on the branch tightened as he thought about what he’d been told this demon did. Why were babies and their families targeted?

He opened his senses up as far as they went and then his gaze shot over the Impala. What? He frowned as he stared at it but then his head whipped round back to the nursery and the sudden flood of evil coming from it. He quickly signalled the others and then gathered himself, ready to break through the window if necessary. He watched as the Winchesters bolted into the house, Jim and Caleb emerging to guard the door. A few seconds later the father emerged and Jim hustled him away from the house.

Looking back up at the nursery he watched as the mother was pinned to the wall and started sliding up it. Reaching out with his magic he wrapped it around her slowly, trying to remain unnoticed. Sam bursting in broke the demon’s concentration and Harry eased the woman’s drop to the ground. John entered the nursery and aimed the gun, taking a shot, but the demon dissolved into smoke. Sam grabbed the baby while Dean and John ushered the woman to the stairs. Harry shifted around on his branch but then looked back at the nursery; the feeling of evil was still there. Frowning he grabbed the branch, swung and released, easily landing on his feet. He met up with Jim and indicated the house.

“Something’s still in there.” He whispered so that only Jim could hear him. The Pastor nodded and went over to John. They all flinched as the nursery exploded in flames, John and Dean holding Sam back as he fought to go back in. Sam eventually slumped in their arms as the house continued to burn.

“Everyone okay?” Jim asked and the group answered with nods.
“Then I suggest we leave before the authorities arrive.” They split up into the cars they’d arrived in and headed back to the motel.

---------------------------------
Sam watched the young man Jim had brought with him as they all sat around the motel room. There was something odd about him, he didn’t think evil especially living with Jim, but definitely something different. And that something made him feel awkward, like it was calling out to him. Could Harry be one of the kids like him? But he was too young, wasn’t he? Curious green eyes met his and Sam almost jumped but managed to simply smile. Harry smiled back almost shyly and then turned his attention back to the discussion.

“When do you need to be back for class?” Jim asked and for a second Sam thought he was talking to him. Instead Harry shrugged.

“Another week, my first class isn’t till Wednesday anyway.” Harry answered and Sam felt a pang of longing.

“You go to college?” He asked and Harry turned back to him.

“Rasmussen College, doing a paralegal degree.” Harry told him and Sam grinned.

“I was pre-law at Stanford.” He told Harry who grinned back.

“So you’re smarter than me.” Harry told him and Jim cuffed him softly.

“Don’t put yourself down.” He chided and Harry smiled at Jim. Caleb snickered slightly and even Dean smiled. John was still staring stiffly.

“When will you be leaving?” John asked, staring at the three non-Winchesters. Harry looked to Jim who sighed heavily.

“You never change do you John?” Jim asked rhetorically.
“You need help. Those demons were after us to get to you John.”

“Stay out of it Jim, this is family business.” John answered back and Harry stifled a laugh, earning attention.

“You were right; I think he might be more stubborn than me.” Harry told Jim with a rather cheeky grin making Caleb crack up and Sam snicker softly.

“Jim’s right John, back up never hurts.” Caleb finally stopped laughing long enough to say.

“No.”

----------------------------------
Sam frowned as his fingers wrapped around something in his pocket. Pulling it out he found a scrap of paper with unfamiliar handwriting but a familiar name. He smiled; Harry had left his number and a message of call if you need help. Sam quickly entered the number into his phone and then tossed the paper so that neither Dean or Dad would see it. He knew they wouldn’t like him having the number.

TBC....