Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Bobby kept looking between the four men who had made themselves at home on his couch and chair. Dean was holding Sam close, close enough the younger hunter was practically in Dean’s lap, not that Sam was complaining about it. If anything he seemed to be trying to curl closer to him. The one called Castiel was seated in the chair with his....husband actually fully in his lap. He still couldn’t believe that Dean was back after almost four months of being dead. But what had him really worried was the condition Sam was in. He’d tried to find the kid after he left but he’d covered his tracks too well. Seeing Sam so thin and sick looking, it was obvious something had happened to him. Dean was looking good for a dead man though. The two strangers.....Castiel was not human in any way though he seemed fairly comfortable in pretending to be one. Harry.....Harry was the biggest enigma. He radiated power and danger while at the same time safety and it was confusing. He was also the more human of the two.

“Guess you want an explanation?” Dean asked quietly and Bobby nodded.

“That’d be good. Last I checked hell doesn’t just let people go.”

“I pulled him out as a favour to an old friend. Apparently some of the Angels have gone crazy and think that starting the apocalypse is a good idea. Dean being in hell was a part of that plan, it was hoped I could get to him in time but I didn’t. The Seals that hold Lucifer in hell are being broken, so far we think about three have been broken.” Harry explained.
“Our friend is dealing with the Heavenly side of this; we have to deal with the demonic for now.”

“No offence but Sam doesn’t look up to dealing with a friendly ghost let alone a demon.” Bobby pointed out and Sam flushed, looking down and Dean tightened his arms around his brother.

“I know I’m a mess, I screwed up Bobby.” Sam murmured.

“Sammy no.” Dean tried but Sam looked up at him sadly.

“He deserves to know Dean. I....I was with Ruby Bobby, she was teaching me to use my powers and....and giving me her blood. That’s why I look sick; Dean helped me through withdrawal the last couple of days.” Sam explained, unable to look at their old friend. Bobby just stared in shock and Dean glared at him fiercely, daring him to say something. Bobby sighed and ran a hand over his hair.

“You could have come to me son, I wouldn’t have turned you away.” Bobby finally said and Sam finally looked at him.
“You did something stupid out of grief, but it sounds like your working to fix things and that’s all you can do. Looks like you could do with some feeding up though.”

“Mmmm, you’re wonderful steaks on offer?” Dean asked and they all laughed, releasing the tension.

------------------------------
“You look like you have questions.” Harry commented as he joined Bobby in watching Dean try and coax Sam to eat more.

“Don’t you think those boys have been through enough?” Bobby snapped and Harry sighed, leaning against railing.

“You think I want to involve them in this? I’d like nothing more than for those two to be able to rest and recover; unfortunately it’s not that simple. They’re right in the middle of this with both sides wanting to use them. At least with us they’ll be safer. Cas and I can kill demons, even angels if necessary. Someone has gone to a lot of trouble to set things up to destroy those two and I won’t let it happen. It’s more than just owing Cas’ old boss a favour. I’ve been through war were I was in a similar position to what the boys are in now.” Harry explained and Bobby stared at him.

“Who, what are you?” Bobby demanded.

“I told you, I’m the Master of Death. Before that I was just a fairly ordinary if powerful wizard along the lines of Merlin. My people were at war and they all looked to me to save them. I did and then Castiel and I left. That was over a decade ago, we haven’t been back to England since.” Harry continued and Bobby frowned.

“A decade....wasn’t there reports of terrorist attacks or something back in England?” Bobby asked and Harry nodded.

“Though not your normal terrorists, it was our war spilling over into normal areas that caused those reports. I promise I will do everything I can to make sure your boys come out of this alive and whole.” Harry swore and Bobby nodded slowly.

“I’ll hold you to that.”

-----------------------------------
Dean looked down at Sam as his brother slept in his arms. Sam was still suffering from muscle tremors after his ordeal, every now and then he would shudder in Dean’s arms. It hurt a lot to see Sam in such bad condition, it was worse than after Jess or their Dad’s death. Adding everything Harry and Castiel had told them on top of Sam’s weakened condition.....Dean was really worried about the kid. Soul mates.....he’d really like to meet the idiot that had made them brothers as well and introduce him to his favourite shotgun. Not that Dean would give up his life as Sam’s big brother for anything; he was just pissed off at some being messing with them that way.

Knowing that Sam loved him, had even run away to Stanford because of his feelings had been a big shock. Yeah he’d always loved Sam, but as his baby brother. But since picking Sam up from Stanford that had started to change, no matter how much he’d fought his feelings. He’d been well on his way to being in love with Sam when he’d sold his soul for him, he’d refused to acknowledge it though since he’d only had a year to live and hadn’t wanted to mess things up.

Dean felt Sam stir in his arms and tensed slightly but Sam just burrowed further into his grip, sleepy hazel eyes opening o stare up at him. Sam smiled hesitantly and Dean smiled back.

“You okay?” Dean asked and Sam nodded.
“Sammy.”

“Bit sore still and.......” Sam trailed off, looking away. Dean nudged him but Sam wouldn’t look at him and Dean realised why.

“You’re craving.” Dean whispered and he heard a choked sob come from Sam.
“It’s okay Sam, we knew this would happen. I’ll help Sammy; just tell me what to do.” Dean told him and Sam finally looked at him.

“Don’t leave me?” Sam whispered and Dean nodded, pulling Sam even closer if that was possible.

“Never Sammy.” He swore, placing a soft kiss on the top of Sam’s head, at least that was where he was aiming but Sam raised his head at the last second and Dean’s lips brushed across Sam’s. Dean gasped and froze; eyes wide as he stared at Sam, scared that despite what Sam had admitted his brother would be disgusted at what had happened. Sam blinked and then licked his lips, staring up at Dean with what looked like fear and....hope?
“Sam?” Dean whispered and Sam leant in, brushing his lips over Dean’s. Dean sighed and gently pulled Sam closer as he returned the kiss.

“Dean....do you.......not just......” Sam was stumbling over his words but Dean knew what he needed to know. Dean kissed him again.

“I love you Sammy, have for a while. I was gonna tell you but then the deal......I didn’t want to mess things up.” Dean admitted softly and Sam stared at him in shock before smiling and Dean relaxed, hugging Sam to him as the younger slowly drifted off to sleep again.

---------------------------------
“Pack your gear boys.” Bobby called when Sam and Dean made their way into the kitchen. Sam had finally stopped shaking a few days earlier and although his appetite wasn’t the best he was eating regularly so he was beginning to look a bit healthier.

“Why? What's going on?” Sam asked as Harry shoved a plate of eggs, bacon and a toasted muffin at him.

“I've got a friend one state over, Olivia Lowry. I've been trying to reach her for three days on this angel thing. It's not like her to ignore this many calls.” Bobby explained as he finished off his breakfast.

“Olivia Lowry. A hunter, right?” Sam asked and Bobby nodded.

“Yeah. We're gonna go check on her. You guys follow me.” Bobby said and then looked at Harry and Castiel.

“We’ve got leads we need to follow up elsewhere. Call us if you need us, otherwise we’ll meet you back here in a day or so.” Harry said and they nodded, eating before heading out. Harry cleaned the kitchen up and then he and Castiel vanished from Bobby’s.

-------------------------------
Harry stared down at the dead body, sad to see that he’d been too late to save the young woman the demon had been using. He hated being too late to save an innocent and this girl had been innocent; he could feel it in the residue left behind from her soul. The demon hadn’t had any really useful intel either. Harry stiffened and then turned around as he heard the ruffle of wings. He stared at the angel past the facade of its vessel and wasn’t all that impressed with what he was seeing. The angel sneered at him and Harry just gave him the same bored stare he’d perfected at school to keep from blowing up at Snape.

“You want something feathers?” Harry finally drawled out and the angels glare intensified.

“Stay out of this mortal.” The angel snapped and Harry laughed.

“Let me think about that......no. So arrogant, you’re no better than the demons you claim to hate.” Harry taunted and the angel actually lunged at him. Harry dodged, lashing out with a foot and smirking when he hit his target. The angel stared up at him from the ground in shock.
“Now you listen to me. I don’t know what your problem with me is but the Winchesters and Singer are under my protection. I’m not going to let you idiots destroy the world in some misguided attempt to achieve paradise. And don’t you ever forget who and what I am. I am the Master of Death and I will kill any demon or angel that stands in my way. Got it?” Harry growled out and the angel vanished. With a flick of his wrist Harry cleaned up the alley and then dialled 911 so that her body would be found.

---------------------------
“Cas? Are you okay?” Harry demanded as he dropped to his knees besides his husband. Castiel mustered a smile for him as Harry checked over the gash in his side.

“There were.....a few more demons there than we expected. The wound isn’t deep, it’s already healing.” Castiel assured him and Harry nodded, slowly relaxing and leaning into Castiel.

“I had a run in with one of your old co-workers. He was under the impression I was mortal, go figure. Anyway I dealt with his delusions and he hightailed it out of there. Demons seem to be playing this mess pretty close to the vest and Michael seems to be the only angel with us. Warned them the brothers and Bobby are under my protection, hopefully they’ll get the hint and not piss me off any further.” Harry told Castiel who closed his eyes in pain at what those he once called family were doing. He didn’t want to deal with it at the moment and they hadn’t had any time to themselves recently so he pulled Harry up and then sealed his lips over the younger males. Harry moaned but eagerly returned the kiss before transporting them to the bed, losing their clothes along the way.

----------------------------
“See, this is why I can't get behind God.” Dean grumbled, getting Sam and Bobby’s attention.

“What are you talking about?” Sam asked from where he was slumped against the wall. His little encounter with Henrickson and then climbing up after Bobby had had a visible affect on his health and the other two men were really worried about him.

“If he doesn't exist, fine. Bad crap happens to good people. That's how it is.” Dean explained, looking at Bobby and then Sam.
“There's no rhyme or reason, just random, horrible, evil... I get it, okay. I can roll with that. But if he is out there, what's wrong with him? Where the hell is he while all these decent people are getting torn to shreds? How does he live with himself? You know, why doesn't he help?” Dean asked and Sam shared a look with Bobby. Dean looked over at Bobby too as if he had all the answers.

“I ain't touching this one with a 10 foot pole.” He grumbled, going back to his research.

“Yeah.” Dean mumbled, going back to the shotgun shells.

“Found it.” Bobby finally called out and the brothers looked over at him.

“What?” Sam asked, shakily pushing himself up. A hand appeared in front of him and he looked up to see Dean standing over him/ He smiled and accepted the help up.

“The symbol you saw, the brand on the ghosts.” Bobby pointed to the symbol Sam had drawn and then at his book.

“Yeah?”

“Mark of The Witness.” Bobby stated.

“Witness? Witness to what?” Sam asked, leaning into Dean.

“The unnatural. None of them died what you'd call ordinary deaths. See, these ghosts; they were forced to rise. They woke up in agony. They're like rabid dogs. It ain't their fault. Someone rose 'em... on purpose.” Bobby explained.

“Who?” Sam asked and Bobby held out his hands.

“Do I look like I know?” He asked.
“But whoever it was used a spell so powerful it left a mark, a brand on their souls. Whoever did this had big plans. It's called "The Rising of the Witnesses".” Bobby pointed to the book with his pen.
“It figures into an ancient prophecy.”

“Wait, wait.” Dean moved closer to see.
“What book is that prophecy from?”

“Well, the widely distributed version's just for tourists, you know, but uh... Long story short, Revelations.” Bobby said and both brothers stared in horror. Sure they’d been told by Harry and Castiel what was planned but to actually have it attack them like this was different, made it even more real.
“This is a sign, boys. A sign of the apocalypse.”

“As in apocalypse, apocalypse? The four horsemen, pestilence, $5-A-Gallon-Gas apocalypse?” Dean asked, just to be sure and Bobby nodded.

“That's the one. "The Rise of the Witnesses" is a... a mile marker.”

“Okay, so, what do we do now?” Sam asked.

“Roadtrip. Grand Canyon, Star Trek Experience, Bunny Ranch.” Dean grumbled as he sat back down.

“First things first. How about we survive our friends out there?” Bobby pointed out and Dean sighed.

“Great. Any ideas besides staying in this room 'til judgement day?”

“It's a spell... to send the witnesses back to rest. Should work.” Bobby told them and Sam groaned this time.

“Should. Heh. Great.” He mumbled.

“If I translate it correctly. I think I got everything we need here at the house.”

“Any chance you've got everything we need here in this room?” Dean asked hopefully and Bobby just looked at him.

“So, you thought our luck was gonna start now all of a sudden? Spell's gotta be cast over an open fire.”

“Fireplace in the library.” Sam pointed out and Bobby nodded.

“Bingo.”

“This is not as appealing as a ghost-proof panic room, you know?”
Dean pointed out and Sam smiled.
“Speaking of which you’re staying here Sam.”

“What? Dean no.”

“Yes Sam. You’re still recovering Sam.”

“So I’m a liability.” Sam spat and Dean sighed. Bobby wisely stayed out of it.

“Damn it Sammy. We’re gonna have to move fast and you’re shaking already. I just want you to be safe.” Dean soothed, moving closer to Sam.

“I’m safest with you.” Sam whispered and Dean smiled.

“Please Sammy, just stay here.”

“If you call Harry.” Sam answered and Dean frowned but nodded.

--------------------------------
“Dean!” Bobby yelled at the sound of slamming doors. He looked up in alarm but then the doors opened again and Dean staggered out, Harry supporting him with Castiel standing over them protectively. Harry shoved Dean over the salt line as ghosts began appearing around the room.

“Bobby you guys keep them busy, I’ll do the spell.” Harry demanded, moving over to the hunter and glancing over the spell. The two hunters started shooting while Castile simply touched a ghost and it vanished. Harry started chanting and then tossed the bowls contents into the fireplace, ducking as a wave of green light flashed through the room. When it vanished all the ghosts were gone.
“Where’s Sam?” Harry asked, looking around.

“Ghost proof panic room downstairs. He was getting shaky.” Dean answered and Harry nodded, looking at Castiel who vanished and then reappeared with a worried Sam who rushed straight to his brother.

“Next time call sooner.” Harry told them as they began setting the room straight.

TBC...