Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


With Pastor Richard to turn to in the day and Michael’s soothing presence at night Harry’s summer wasn’t as bad as it could have been, despite the very vague letters he received from people in the wizarding world. In fact if it wasn’t for them Harry was pretty sure he would have been insane with guilt and grief by the third week of summer vacation. Both had made sure to continually assure him Cedric’s death was not his fault and Harry was finally beginning to believe them. Unfortunately that did not help his nightmares, only Michael’s soothing voice did. Learning the angel could sing had been a shock but then again hadn’t Pastor Richard read something about choirs of angels? Maybe that meant all angels could sing? Harry couldn’t understand the language Michael sang in but it stopped his nightmares and let his sleep peacefully, dreaming of his parents and a happy family.

Michael was usually gone during the day and seemed to have something on his mind but Harry didn’t question him, he knew how important an Archangel was so he knew Michael had many other things to be doing. He was just happy to be able to sleep through the night.

----------------------------
Harry gasped and bolted for the window, staring out at the shadowing forms in horror. He clutched his wand and necklace, praying for help and he felt someone come, not Michael. He smiled as the Dementors fled the area as fast as they could.

“Thank you.” He called out, seeing a shining figure reflected in the window. It seemed to nod and then vanished.

“Michael.” The angel turned to see Castiel, nodding at the lower ranked angel.

“Everything went well?” He asked and Castiel nodded.

“I scared the creatures off and checked on the boy, he seemed to know I was there and thanked me.” Castiel reported, confused and Michael smiled.

“The boy was Harry Potter.” Michael explained and Castiel appeared shocked.
“He has been my charge since he was a child. I am not sure how he senses us but he does. With what is happening I may not be able to watch over him soon, I was hoping you would be willing to take my place as his guardian.” Michael explained and Castiel nodded.

“It would be an honour. Am I to do anything specific?”

“He suffers debilitating nightmares, I spend most nights singing so that he may rest peacefully. He has a Destiny that we cannot interfere in but that does not mean we cannot offer comfort or even limited aide.” Michael told him and Castiel nodded.
“I will inform you when you need to take my place.” He watched Castiel leave curiously, he knew what he was setting in motion by choosing Castiel but he knew it was necessary.

--------------------------------
Harry was staring morosely out of the window, he was angry at his friends and angry at this so called Order. It was his life on the line, he needed to know what was happening in order to either avoid Riddle or survive their next encounter and instead everyone seemed intent to leave him in the dark.

“Whoever said ignorance is bliss never had a madman out for their blood.” He grumbled and then turned as he heard Michael’s soft laughter. Standing with him was another angel who seemed...younger somehow than his guardian.
“Hello Michael. Is your friend the one that chased the Dementors away?” Harry asked curiously, his bad mood forgotten momentarily.

“Yes Harry, this is Castiel. Things are happening that mean I will not always be able to watch over you. Castiel has agreed to help.”

“It is a pleasure to meet you Harry Potter.” The shorter angel greeted and Harry smiled at him.

“It’s nice to meet you too Castiel. Thank you for getting rid of the Dementors, I don’t think the Ministry would have played nice if I’d had to use magic.” Harry thanked him much to Castiel’s surprise since he had already said thank you that night and most humans would not think to give a more detailed thanks. Michael seemed to be right about this one being different and Castiel found himself intrigued by the young wizard.

“You are angry.” Michael stated after they’d been silent for a few minutes and Harry shrugged, absently rubbing his scar.

“It’s just that...they’re meant to be my friends, right? And yet they barely send me any word over the summer and then go off about Dumbledore saying it wasn’t safe. They just left me alone after everything that happened last year. And no one will tell me anything despite the fact that I’m number one on Riddle’s hit list. How can I prepare if I have no idea what to prepare for? And yes, I know I’m ranting but better rant than blow up at someone.”
Harry collapsed against the wall and Castiel watched in wonder as Michael approached and gently hugged the mortal. Harry collapsed into his arms, anger leaving him as he relaxed and took in Michael’s aura of peace. To see an Archangel comforting mortal like that was unheard of but it made Castiel feel...something he couldn’t name. Michael pulled back from Harry slowly and the teenager wiped at his eyes, finally smiling at them.
“Thanks.”

---------------------------------------
Harry cradled his hand to his chest, trying not to whimper from the pain only to relax as warmth spread across the wound, healing it and removing the words. He smiled at the now familiar presence and leant back against the wall.

“Thanks Castiel.” He whispered, grinning when the angel appeared and smiled back slightly.
“I don’t really need any more distinctive scars.”

“What she is doing to you and the other students is wrong. Is there not a person in authority you could go to?” The angel asked and Harry shrugged.

“The Headmaster’s ignoring me and Professor McGonagall said to just deal with it. The Minister appointed her here and keeps giving her more power. Who else could I go to?” Harry explained and Castiel frowned.

“A teacher should never harm their students...she is not the only one?” Castiel asked. He wasn’t the best at deciphering human expression but he was learning and that seemed to be shame.
“Harry?”

“Professor Snape’s meant to be teaching me to shield my mind but all he does is shout at me and then attacks, I don’t know how to keep him out and it just gives me a headache.” Harry admitted softly.

“May I see?” Castiel asked, reaching out a hand and Harry nodded. Castiel placed his hand on Harry’s head and his eyes widened in shock.

“Castiel?” Harry watched him nervously and the angel withdrew his hand.

“Your mental defences are much weaker than they should be, not stronger.” The angel told him and Harry sighed.

“Brilliant.” He muttered and Castiel smiled again, making Harry happy. Castiel was a lot more serious seeming than Michael, and Harry had made it his goal to make the angel smile as much as possible. Two smiles in one visit was a new record.

“I can help, at least temporarily. It will give your mind time to recover.”

“Please. My nightmares are getting worse and I just want to sleep.” Harry answered and Castiel nodded, replacing his hand on Harry’s head. Harry sighed and relaxed as pain he hadn’t even been aware of vanished.
“Thank you.”

“You’re welcome. If you hold your necklace when in the lessons it may help as well.” Castiel told him and Harry wrapped his hand around the feather. Castiel watched him and then raised his hand to his own wings, wincing slightly and then holding the hand out to Harry. In his palm lay a feather. Harry slowly reached out to it.
“This will allow me to know when you need me.” Castiel said and Harry added it to his necklace with a smile.

“Thank you.”

-----------------------------------
Harry screamed as he writhed on the floor, Riddle’s essence flooding his mind. He tried to fight but it hurt so much he could barely hear Dumbledore speaking. A struggling hand reached up and he managed to weakly clasp the feathers, mind screaming for help. In his hand both feathers glowed softly with power and Harry could feel the angels presence wrap around him, basking in their love and using it to force Riddle from his mind. He could see the two kneeling by him, both staring at him worriedly even as Dumbledore approached swiftly. He managed a pained smile and then the Headmaster pressed something into his hand and the room vanished in a swirl of magic.

He reappeared in the Headmaster’s office, the two angels appearing a split second later to see if he was alright. Harry threw himself into their arms, sobs breaking free at the knowledge his godfather was dead. Castiel held him as Michael healed what he could before both hid as Dumbledore appeared in the room. They remained silently by Harry’s side as he learnt the truth of his horrible life and it was only their comforting presence that stopped Harry from completely destroying the office in his rage. When he fled the office for the Room of Requirement they followed silently and then sat with him as he cried for his destroyed childhood and the knowledge that he was the reason his parents had been targeted.

“Is the prophecy real?” He finally whispered and Michael sadly nodded his head.
“What chance have I got?” He choked out and this time Castiel answered.

“You have friends to help you Harry, you will not face Riddle alone.”

“I can’t watch them get hurt because of me!”

“That is their choice.” Michael answered and Harry finally nodded, knowing he was right. He curled up and the two sat close, silently offering support and comfort as he slowly fell asleep. It was only their presence that stopped the nightmares.

-------------------------------
Richard watched Harry listlessly shelve some hymn books. The boy looked like a ghost but he didn’t seem to want to talk just yet so Richard hadn’t pushed. If things didn’t improve soon though he would have to. He wished he had some way to find out what had happened but he had no contacts in that world, neither did his cousin since Hunters tended to avoid anything they saw as ‘unnatural’. Harry hadn’t been this bad after his friend had died so what could have happened this last year? Whatever it was the Dursley’s seemed happy and while Harry may be good at hiding things Richard had still seen the bruise. He wanted to help Harry more but he had seen what happened to anyone who spoke out about the boy’s treatment, they tended to move rather suddenly.

---------------------------------
Harry stared in horror as Dumbledore’s body plummeted from the tower. Just because he hadn’t trusted the man for years didn’t mean he wanted to see him die. He felt the magic holding him snap and he took off after Snape into the castle. He gained on the older man and then launched himself at his back, slamming into the wizard and sending them both crashing to the floor. They struggled for a few seconds but then Harry bit down and Snape screamed, releasing his hold on his wand as Harry’s teeth sunk into his wrist. Harry shoved free and quickly stunned and bound the traitor, sticking him to the ceiling before taking off to where he could hear students screaming.

He came face to face with a werewolf and didn’t even think as he pulled the silver dagger strapped to his thigh, plunging it in to the creature’s heart before it could react. He pulled the corpse off of Bill and stunned him so he wouldn’t feel any pain from his injuries.

“Get into a classroom and lock the door, don’t open it till your coin warms.” He yelled at the scared students when he recognised one from the DA. She nodded and got one of the boys to help her levitate Bill even as Harry took off down the hall.

It took another hour but the Aurors finally arrived to help and all the Death Eaters were captured or managed to escape.

“Mr. Potter!” He turned at McGonagall’s call and headed her way.

“Yes Professor?”

“Where is Albus?” She asked and Harry closed his eyes.

“At the base of the Astronomy tower ma’am. Snape killed him but did not get away; he is bound, stunned and stuck to the ceiling about twenty metres from the tower door.” Harry informed her, grabbing her when she swayed in shock.

“Very well, the Aurors wish to speak with you.” He nodded and headed over to where they had gathered.

---------------------------------
“Am I a horcrux?” He asked softly and he could feel the sadness radiating from the angel beside him, that was all the answer he needed.
“So I have to die for this war to end, figures.”

“I am sorry Harry.” Castiel whispered wrapping an arm around the wizard to offer comfort.

“Do you know how many others there are?” Harry asked softly, trying to fight down the tears.

“No but I will try to find out.” Castiel told him.

“Are you allowed to? I don’t want you to get in trouble for finding out information you’re not meant to.”

“I will go to Michael first to be sure.” Castiel assured him and Harry relaxed, leaning into Castiel’s side. Castiel stiffly wrapped an arm around him but gradually relaxed.

---------------------------------
Michael watched as Castiel returned to Earth. He wished he could have given him more information but some things had to happen no matter how much they might wish otherwise. He did not want Harry to die but it had to happen, it was a pity he could not tell Castiel that Harry’s death would not necessarily be permanent. He knew what was beginning between Castiel and Harry and they would need the protection of what Harry would gain leading up to and after his death.

TBC...