Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup

Author's Chapter Notes:
Glad people like my AU Michael. As for the events of 7th year, the Hallows and horcruxes...I haven’t read book 7 so things will be AU there. I know some of the basic events though and will use some. Also character deaths mentioned in this chapter.

“Hello Harry. I was hoping you’d come by today, I have something for you.” Richard greeted cheerfully as the teenager entered the church. Even without being Harry’s confidant Richard knew things were getting bad, there had been a lot of unexplained deaths over the last few months that due to Harry he knew were the work of either wizards or Dementors. He headed to the back rooms and Harry followed silently. He hated how quiet and withdrawn the boy had become over the last few years but with everything he had been threw Richard really couldn’t blame him. He picked up a wrapped package and handed it to Harry who stared at it for a few seconds before looking at him.
“Seventeen’s the big birthday for Wizard’s, right?” Richard asked and Harry nodded.
“Happy Birthday, I know its a few days early but I thought you’d be with friends on the actual day. Go on, open it.”

Harry slowly opened the parcel to find a velvet bag which he opened. Turning it up over his hand he stared as a silver bracelet slithered out onto his palm. He picked the bracelet up to exam more closely and found several small charms attached to it.

“I noticed you already wear a necklace of some sort so I hoped you wouldn’t mind added jewellery. The charms are actually old protections from when the church hunted demons. That one’s for protection against possession, another against Siren’s, etc. I thought it might prove useful for you.”

“Thank you.” Harry smiled at him and undid the clasp to put the bracelet on. He felt it heat slightly against his skin for a second but didn’t say anything, he had a feeling the silver was a bit older and more magical than Pastor Richard realised.
“What would it take to close the church for a couple of days?” Harry asked and Richard’s eyes widened.

“What for?”

“It’s inside the wards placed for my protection. Unfortunately those wards will come down on my Birthday. My relatives are packed and ready to head overseas so they’ll be safe. We’re expecting an attack that night. I want you and the other staff safe. They might be able to track that I’ve spent a lot of time here and Death Eaters will have no problems burning a church to the ground.”

“Well...we have been meaning to have a few renovations done, this summer would be an excellent time don’t you think?” Richard said and Harry grinned.

“Brilliant.” To Richard’s surprise Harry darted in and gave him a hug. And then it hit him, the quietness, the bags under his eyes and the look in said eyes...Harry didn’t expect to make it out of what was coming alive. Richard gripped the teen tightly, knowing he may never see the wizard again.
“Get out of the country if you can.” Harry whispered and then left. Richard sighed sadly as he watched him walk away and then began making calls. The war would be easier if they could lower civilian and ‘muggle’ casualties so he was calling the head of the church to spread the word.

---------------------------------------------
Harry felt the wards collapse and shared a grin with Ron and Hermione. At the sound of multiple people apparating outside they activated their portkey and the timers on several ‘gifts’. It was a pity they couldn’t stick around to watch the fireworks but the twins might have set up omnioculars to record the event and had even sent out fake invites to an event in London to make sure no one would be around to face the Death Eaters wrath. But the omnioculars weren’t just set to record events, after all the Weasley twins were avid inventors. These also recorded through clothing, meaning that every Death Eater who appeared had their face and arm with the Dark Mark recorded and viewed real time by certain people, including Amelia Bones. Unsurprisingly ten arrests were made the next day with three Death Eaters killed trying to resist.

--------------------------------------
Harry fought a shiver as he looked out over the bleak countryside. He wasn’t sure how things could get worse at the moment. The Ministry had fallen with barely a protest; the battle for Hogwarts had been a lot more bloody and prolonged but had ended the same and now he was a criminal on the run. At least eh tent they were sharing was a Wizarding one, he couldn’t imagine sharing the muggle version with Ron and Hermione, he might just let himself be caught! Feeling a sudden warmth Harry smiled.

“Hello Castiel.” He greeted and the angel appeared beside him with a smile.

“Hello Harry.”

“Are they okay?” Harry asked and Castiel nodded.

“Luna and her father are being cared for by the Weasley’s.” The angel informed him. Thankfully Castiel didn’t mind checking on others and giving Harry information on their welfare, saving the risk of using owls. Harry sighed and ran a hand through his already messy hair.

“Three horcruxes still to go and we’re not even totally sure what they are...damn it!” Harry kicked viciously at the ground and Castiel watched, not sure how to help.
“We have to find them all before...” Harry swallowed heavily.
“Before I face him.” He whispered.

“You will see your family again Harry. Heaven is indescribable using mortal language but you will be at peace.” Castiel told him; reaching out to do what he’d seen Michael do, hug Harry. Harry clung tightly to him, needing the comfort.

“I don’t want to die. I’m just a kid still.” Harry whispered and all Castiel could do was hold him, they both knew there was no other way to end the war.

---------------------------------
Harry held his leg as Hermione did her best to patch it up. Ron was crouched beside them, wand at the ready but apparently their attackers didn’t want to risk coming out in the open to give him a clear shot.

“You alright mate?” Ron asked and Harry managed a shaky grin.

“Just don’t ask me to dance.” He answered and Ron grinned.

“We need to get out of here. We can’t go to St Mungoes but even a muggle hospital would be a good idea.”

“Any suggestions how?” Ron asked and Harry suddenly grinned.

“They’ve got anti-summons on their wands, but what about their clothes?” He asked and Ron laughed. The three moved so they all had room and then fired of their summoning charms, Ron aiming for robes, Harry for shoes and Hermione their....undergarments. As the horrified shouting started the three teens slipped away.

--------------------------
Harry listened in horror as the radio reported on an attack in Bath. Muggle authorities were clueless as to what had actually happened but Harry could guess from the types of damages and injuries being listed, last night had been a full moon after all. He was very glad he’d killed Greyback last June, or else it would have been a lot worse. Finishing his coffee he ducked out of the cafe and headed back to the campsite by a meandering route, just to be safe.

-------------------------------------
Harry held Hermione as she cried, his own eyes dry as they stood before the makeshift pyre. It had been so sudden, so unexpected and now Ron was dead. It was weird...Ron had gone from an attention seeking prat to a fairly good friend and someone he could count on in a fight. He’d never gotten as close to the redhead as Hermione so his grief wasn’t as deep but he would still miss the other teen. He was glad he’d managed to grab the body, he knew that a funeral, no matter how improvised was better than nothing. At least Ron had died taking out a horcrux, he would have wanted it to be that way. Only two more left.

Harry relaxed as he felt Castiel wrap them both in his wings, knowing the angel wouldn’t show himself to Hermione but that didn’t stop him offering some form of comfort. Hermione was the one to grab Harry as he screamed and collapsed, Voldemort slamming into his mind full force. But it was Castiel that cradled his head and whispered encouragements while bolstering Harry’s mental defences. When the vision finally ended blood was pouring from his re-opened scar and his eyes were a bit glassy but he was coherent enough to gasp out a warning, Voldemort was going after the Queen and PM.

-----------------------------------
Harry stared at the notes Luna had managed to send him and then picked up the ring that had caused Dumbledore a lot of trouble. One of the three Deathly Hallows and if Luna was correct he already owned another, his invisibility cloak. That left only one, the Elder Wand and he had a sneaking suspicion who it had last belonged to. If he had all three...could he survive the war?

In heaven a certain Archangel smiled as he learned Harry had received the second Hallow, only one left. And at his urging Castiel was spending more and more time at Harry’s side. Everything was going according to plan. Pity he couldn’t tell Harry his death would not be permanent.

--------------------------------------
Hermione dodged just in time as Harry lunged and drove Gryffindor’s sword into the diadem. Harry was relatively safe from the backlash but the Death Eaters around him weren’t. When the dust settled three were dead and another five lay moaning on the floor. Hermione got up and staggered over to Harry, making sure to accio the diadem and sword before grabbing him and activating her illegal portkey. What she didn’t know was there was angel going along for the trip too.

The horcrux within Harry protected him from the magical backlash, it didn’t stop him from being thrown backwards though. Castiel had managed to absorb most of the impact luckily but hadn’t been fast enough to stop Harry being knocked out. Since he still had his arms around Harry the portkey took him too, something he had never experienced before and never wanted to again. He stayed by Harry’s side as Hermione patched him up and then crawled into her bed. Castiel didn’t know why Michael encouraged him to spend so much time on Earth, other than Harry needing almost constant supervision thanks to the situations he tended to get into but he felt...different recently and the time on Earth was the only reason he could come up with. He held Harry, lost in his own thoughts until the wizard moved in his arms. Green eyes slowly opened and Harry smiled up at him sadly.

“Only one more to go.” He whispered and Castiel nodded, suddenly wishing there were more so he could have more time with the wizard but that was silly, wasn’t it? Once Harry died they could see each other in Heaven.
“Will you stay with me when...” Harry couldn’t finish the question but Castiel knew what he was asking.

“Yes. You will not die alone Harry.” Castiel promised and Harry relaxed. He actually snuggled further into Castiel’s hold but the angel did not complain, knowing the wizard needed all the comfort he could get and he did not mind giving it. It felt nice to be held and hold someone other than when attending to another Angel’s wounds from a battle with demons.

“You’ve been in battle before right?” Harry asked and Castiel nodded.
“Could you give any advice on where would be the best place to face him? I don’t want any more casualties than need be. I’ve never tried to plan anything like this.” Harry said and Castiel closed his eyes, asking for guidance. He smiled as he got permission to help at least that much and begun discussing various battle strategies.

---------------------------
Harry rolled his new wand over in his hand, studying it. While more powerful it didn’t yet feel as comfortable as his phoenix wand but already he could feel it adjusting to him. He now had all three Hallows, if he put the ring on. Was he ready to take that step, become the Master of Death? He honestly didn’t know. He also knew he could not use the unbeatable wand against Voldemort if he were to die, for one it would make Voldemort the new master of the Elder Wand, something that could not happen no matter what, plus it was meant to be unbeatable and he needed to be beaten to die.

“What are you thinking about?” Castiel asked and Harry shrugged.

“Death mostly. Everything’s set for tomorrow. Hermione’s already with the others and everyone knows their job. Though poor Neville is completely lost as to why I gave him Gryffindor’s sword and told him to go for Riddle when the time’s right.”

“You think he will take your place as saviour to the wizards?”

“The prophecy could have been about either of us and everyone knows that now. With me dead he’ll be the next target anyway, at least he’ll have a fighting chance with Tom mortal again.” Harry explained as he lay with his head in Castiel’s lap while the angel ran his fingers through the raven locks.

“Isn’t customary for humans who know they are going to die to have a list of things they wish to do first?” Castiel asked and Harry laughed.

“Yeah but the only things left on mine can’t be done. Dobby provided the last meal fit for a king, I’m with someone I care about. Only thing I haven’t done is make love to someone I love and have a family.”

“I see. I care about you too Harry.” He said and Harry smiled up at him.

“I know.”

-----------------------------------
Harry walked towards Voldemort, knowing Castiel was right beside him as he faced his death. He made as if to raise a wand and Voldemort reacted rather predictably.

“Avada Kedavra” the serpentine man called and Harry fought the urge to flinch as the green light sped towards him. He glanced at Castiel who locked gazes with him, knowing what he needed. Harry graced him with a small smile as the curse hit and then his body crumpled to the ground.

Castiel gasped as he watched Harry die. For the first time ever he felt grief in seeing a human die, despite knowing the paradise Harry was going to. He realised he didn’t want Harry to die at all and was shocked to find a tear falling from his eye. He shivered and then dropped to his knees as the knowledge hit him, he had gotten too close to his charge and now he would pay the price. He was Falling. He looked up as Michael appeared in front of him, shocked when the Archangel knelt beside him.

“Hold on Castiel, just a little longer.” Michael urged and Castiel did as he ordered.

“I do not understand.” He whispered past steadily flowing tears.

“I knew this would happen when I asked you to watch over him. It has to happen.” Michael told him and Castiel looked up at him in shock.

“Why? If you knew I would Fall.......”

“Because what usually happens won’t. Watch.” Michael said and indicated Harry’s body lying next to them. He pulled Castiel a bit further back as Bellatrix approached and kicked Harry to make sure he was dead, his body moved lifelessly in response and the Death Eaters cheered. Voldemort himself approached, raising his wand to defile the body of his nemesis and Castiel jerked in Michael’s arms.

“No!” He cried out but Michael didn’t release him. Voldemort prepared a curse and Harry’s body jerked, eyes the same colour as the killing curse snapped open and the Elder Wand leapt to his hand as he rolled to his feet. Voldemort stared in shock and that was all the opening Harry needed.

“Avada Kedavra.” Harry stated and Lord Voldemort, once known as Tom Riddle, died. His magically created body burned to ash instantly and there were no horcuxes left to anchor his soul. The remaining Death Eaters screamed and collapsed as the link to their Master dragged them to Hell with him.

“Harry.” Castiel choked out and Harry turned to them, frowning as he saw Michael restraining Castiel.

“The ring Harry, you must claim the Hallows now.” Michael called out and Harry immediately obeyed. He slipped the ring on, the wand was still in his hand and the cloak in his pocket. He felt a rush of dizzying power and knew he was now the Master of Death.

“Michael what’s wrong with Castiel?” he demanded as he moved closer.

“He is Falling.” The Archangel answered calmly.

“What? No! Why?” Harry managed to get out and Michael smiled at him.

“Because of you Harry.”

“What happens....” He couldn’t finish his question as he stared at the distraught Castiel.

“When an Angel Falls? He will become human and loose all memory of his life. He will not be cast into the pit for this crime.”

“That’s not fair.” Harry whispered, staring at Castiel in pain.

“So stop it. Are you not the Master of Death?” Michael said and then released Castiel who staggered, leaving Harry to catch him.

“Harry.” Castiel whispered and Harry smiled at him gently.

“It’s going to be okay Castiel, I’ll look after you.” Harry answered and then he leant in and kissed his angel. He felt Castiel hesitate and then he was returning the kiss. Michael smiled as he watched the magic swirl around them, sinking into Castiel and tying him firmly to Harry, stopping him from fully Falling. They parted and both smiled, Castiel reaching out to cup Harry’s cheek.

“Is this what mortal love feels like?” He asked and Harry laughed.

“Guess so.” He answered, hugging Castiel close.

“Congratulations.” Michael said and they turned to him to see him smiling at them.

“I still do not understand.” Castiel stated and Michael laughed gently.

“Harry was always Destined to become the Master of Death but he needed someone to help ground the power. Only an angel could do that but an angel cannot love a mortal that way. I knew Harry would cause you to Fall that is why I asked you to take my place as his guardian. You still have your angelic powers but you are not an Angle of Heaven any longer. Death needs an angel too.” They stared at him in shock as he explained.

“What if I had chosen to move on and not finish things myself?” Harry asked, angry that Michael had risked Castiel in such a way.

“You would not, I believe your friend Hermione called it your ‘saving people thing’? you would not move on as long as Riddle was a threat therefore there was no risk of Castiel being lost.”

“I’m pretty sure I should me mad at you right now.” Harry grumbled and Michael smiled, nodding in agreement.

“Probably, but I did not create your Destiny. I merely helped you gain what you needed to fulfil it.”

“You probably would of got on great with Dumbledore.” Harry muttered and Castiel laughed.

----------------------------------------
“Hey Pastor Richard.” A quiet voice called and he spun around to see Harry standing with someone who appeared to be in his twenties.

“Harry!” Richard called and hurried towards them, pulling the young man into a hug.

“It’s been over a year, I was starting to fear....”

“I’m alright. Pastor Richard this is Castiel.” Harry introduced them and they shook hands.
“I just wanted you to know the wars over and I’m, well....I’m leaving Britain and I don’t think I’ll be back.” Harry told him and Richard nodded.

“I had a feeling that would happen. You’ve never truly been happy here. Will you be travelling with Castiel?” There was something about the quiet man....but he could see the care in his eyes for Harry.

“Yeah. We’re going to travel for a while before figuring out where to live. I’ll send you an address then.”

“You better. I expect postcards young man.”

“Yes sir!” Harry answered.

Richard watched the two walk away from the church, happier than he had been the last time Harry had left but still sad that Harry was leaving Britain.

------------------------------------------
“So this is where my parents are buried.” Harry whispered as they looked down at the grave.

“You have never visited before?” Castiel asked and Harry shook his head.

“I asked once and was brushed off.” Harry answered as he laid the Lilies in front of the headstone.

“I am sorry.” Castiel whispered, reaching out to take Harry’s hand. Harry looked over and gave him a watery smile. It was hard but Castiel’s presence made everything easier, even burying Hermione earlier that day. The Golden Trio was down to one now. She had died defending a group of injured ex-Hogwarts staff, including McGonagall. From what he’d been told she never even saw the curse coming.

“Lets go.” With that he apparated, Castiel tagging along easily. When they reappeared they were in an empty restroom at Heathrow Airport. Michael and the goblins had been a great help in setting Castiel up with the proper paperwork so that he legally existed but they were both sad that they hadn’t seen or heard from the Archangel since. Castiel said he was probably rather busy explaining exactly what Castiel was now and why that was alright. They had stayed in England long enough for Harry to gather everything he wanted to keep and say goodbye to certain people. Now they were bound for France and the British Wizarding World would never see their Saviour again.

They settled into First Class and waited for the plane to take off, Castiel gripping Harry’s hand tightly. Harry squeezed his hand sympathetically and then looked out the window as the ground rushed by. Holding hands was as far as they’d gone since the kiss to bind them together. Neither was ready for trying more than hugging, holding hands, that sort of thing although they slept in the same bed while fully clothed. Harry still suffered horrific nightmares and needed Castiel close by. But there was no rush to take things further; they had all the time in the world.

It had been several thousand years since Castiel had walked among humans and Harry had never been given the chance to travel so they had decided to travel the world for a while before choosing somewhere to settle down. Harry didn’t mind where they ended up as long as it wasn’t England.

TBC...