Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Harry smiled, luxuriating in the warmth of Castiel’s arms before slipping from their bed and heading to the kitchen to start breakfast. Sometimes the last eleven years felt like a fantastic dream, one even better than the day he’d found out he was a wizard. Even then he’d never have thought he could be bound to an angel, his angel now, and living happily together in Boulder Colorado. Some mornings he still woke expecting to be back in his dorm or even the cupboard but it never happened.

They’d made a clean break from their old lives, all except Pastor Richard and Michael. Harry still wrote and called Richard regularly and Michael often left them notes though they hadn’t seen him since Paris nine years earlier. Castiel had said things in Heaven were getting intense, that something was coming. Harry just prayed whatever it was stayed in Heaven and away from them.

Teaching Castiel how to blend in with humans had been fun and was an ongoing project. After all Castiel wasn’t human so he didn’t always understand but that was okay. Any serious slipups could be fixed with a little magic. He’d gotten the hang of love very quickly, maybe because he already knew platonic love so well? They were married in the eyes of Heaven, Hell and the magical world and Harry looked forward to the time they could be married amongst normal society.

One thing that had been interesting to discover was their lack of aging. Castiel had never really thought about it since he was an angel but Harry had always been mortal and very aware of that fact. And now he was twenty nine but didn’t look a day over twenty three, it had taken a lot to get used to the fact he was no longer aging. Castiel looked as he always had to Harry as the angle had not been using a vessel when he came to help. Michael had always been curious how Harry could see their true forms without burning his eyes out. But now Castiel had a real physical body, much to Harry’s delight. Though his wings had shifted in colour when they’d bonded. The once white wings were now black, streaked through with the occasional dark green feather that matched Harry’s eyes, those were Castiel’s favourite feathers.

Harry grinned as he started making breakfast only to stop as he saw a familiar envelope on the counter. He opened it, read it and then yelled for Castiel who flashed into the room, still naked but ready for a fight.

“Harry?” He asked once checking for danger. In answer Harry shoved the paper at him and Castiel read it quietly.
“Was Michael drunk when he wrote this?” He asked and Harry laughed.

“No but I think he found my Dad, Sirius or Remus, that’s Marauder code. Obviously he didn’t want anyone who may intercept it to understand what he was saying.” Harry explained as he sat down. Castiel sat beside him, curling a wing around him in an offer of comfort.

“Can you translate it?”

“Yeah, I should teach you the code if he’s gonna start using it. Apparently God’s MIA and a few of the Angel’s have been smoking something since they seem to think letting the apocalypse start is a good thing. He wants us to try and stop it if possible.” Harry explained and Castiel’s eyes widened in shock. Harry however was fighting not to let his gaze wander, his bonded was after all a very attractive angel.
“Cas, clothes please? I really don’t need the distraction.” Harry pleaded and Castiel smirked but sure enough clothes appeared on him. Harry wondered what Castiel’s brothers would think if they saw him now, he wasn’t the uptight angel anymore.

“Does he explain the plan any?” Castiel asked, pulling Harry closer. Harry snuggled in and lifted the letter to study.

“They’re using two brothers, Sam and Dean Winchester. Sam is...one of Azazel’s chosen?”

“A high level demon. Ever few years he would feed babies his blood to see what would happen. We never found out his end game though.”

“Oh, well apparently they’re hunters, or Dean isn’t anymore since he’s in Hell. Sold his soul to save Sam. Plan is for him to break the first Seal?” Harry looked to Castiel who had paled.
“Cas?”

“A righteous man spills blood in hell.” He whispered and Harry shivered, knowing that was bad instinctively.

“Right, Michael wants to stop it but he’s sort of been outvoted so he wants us to step in. Apparently as Master of Death I can come and go freely from Heaven and Hell so he wants be to rescue Dean, hopefully before he breaks the seal. Sam needs to be gotten away from a demon called Ruby and put through detox for something. So you get to do that while I work on Dean. That’s if we say yes and I’m thinking we have to because, end of the world? Not good for anyone.” Harry finished and Castiel held him close. Harry wrapped his arms around the angel, offering comfort.

“We can’t turn our backs on this.” Castiel finally said and Harry nodded.

“The angels will show up eventually if things aren’t going to plan. Are you ready to see those you once called family?” Harry whispered and Castiel smiled at him.

“You and Michael are my family. If they actually want to do this then I did not know them as well as I believed. I will fight them if necessary to protect humanity.”

“So we need to plan. I can track this Sam down easily enough and then you can I don’t know knock on his door? Not like he can kill you, hunter or not. If this Ruby demon’s there she’ll know what you are, right?”

“Yes, it’s why the one time we ran into a demon it ran the other way. They know they have no power over either of us and that we can kill them. Perhaps running into him on a hunt would be better than just knocking on his door. Humans tend to be grateful to those who save their lives.” Castiel answered and Harry nodded, lost in thought.

“It’s bringing Dean back that’s gonna be hard. I mean he’s been in Hell for the last who knows how long, that’ll leave a mark. Then there’s his body, I’ve never brought someone back to life before!” Harry panicked so Castiel leant in and kissed him. Harry relaxed against him and returned the kiss for a while.
“Thanks. Okay so get his soul out first and then worry about his body. Hopefully he hasn’t started to turn demon yet, that could be awkward.”

“That takes centuries but time does run differently in Hell so be careful.”

“Promise.” Harry whispered and Castiel smiled at him.
“Guess we won’t be back here for a while.” Harry looked sadly around their cosy home.

“We could bring the brothers here for a while, Michael said this Sam will need to detox? A warm, calm place would be best for that and the basement is warded for your more delicate work. Dean would also probably benefit from the peace.” Castiel offered and Harry smiled.

“You’re right. Well...guess we have work to do.” Harry got up and headed for the basement to work on tracking Sam down and Castiel went to work saving what was left of their breakfast.

-----------------------------
“I love you, be careful.” Castiel whispered, kissing him before flashing towards Green Bay, Wisconsin. Harry waited until he was gone and then took a few deep breaths before apparating straight into hell.

Harry drew himself to his full height of five foot eight and let the Hallows magic surround him, making the demons who had been gleefully approaching back off warily. They all knew who he was and why standing in his way would be a very bad idea.

“Where is Dean Winchester? Answer or die.” He demanded coldly, and the demons cowered but one answered.

“Alastair has him Master of Death, the racks.” The demon answered and Harry nodded before destroying the others with a flick of his wrist. The racks were rather easy to find, just follow the screams. Harry stood there, watching and searching before realising he was too late. The one doing the torturing wasn’t a demon but the broken soul of Dean Winchester. He took a deep breath and moved forward.

“What brings the Master of Death to my humble dwelling?” A demon asked mockingly and Harry knew this was Alastair.

“I am taking Dean Winchester with me.” Harry answered flatly and the demon scowled.

“He is mine!” The demon answered angrily, making the souls, including Dean, flinch back.

“Dean I’m here to get you out. Your brother needs you.” Harry called to the man holding a knife and he was relieved to see a flicker of recognition in the green eyes. He wasn’t completely gone then.

“Sammy?” Dean whispered only to be struck to the floor by Alastair. Harry raised his hand and flung the demon back, the ‘wall’ coming alive to restrain him even as Harry strode over to Dean and knelt beside the cowering human soul.

“Yes Dean, Sammy needs you. Will you let me take you to him?” Harry asked softly and Dean frowned.

“Are you a demon?” Dean asked nervously and Harry shook his head.

“No, I am beyond their power. I serve no Master Dean. My bonded is with Sam right now, making sure he’s okay. But Sam needs you as much as you need him.” Harry told him, shifting so that he could pull his cloak off and wrap Dean in it, the comforting heat helping stop Dean’s shivers. Dean looked from him to Alastair and licked his cracked lips.

“I belong here. Sammy doesn’t need me anymore. I’m evil.” Dean whispered, voice heavy with self-loathing and Harry grasped his shoulders, making Dean look at him.

“You are not evil Dean. Yes, you broke but that just makes you human. Sam will understand, as do I. We will help you.” Harry assured him and Dean stared at him in shock.

“Are you human?” Dean asked and Harry smiled.

“I was, now I’m not entirely sure what you’d call me but I’m not evil either. I need your help to protect those I care about.”

“Who?” Dean asked suspiciously and Harry’s smile widened.

“Everyone. Will you come with me?” Harry offered his hand and Dean slowly took it.
“Close your eyes Dean and just relax. Everything will be alright.” Harry soothed and Dean closed his eyes, never noticing Harry’s ring glow or the fact that he was fading away. Harry rubbed his ring softly, feeling the soft warmth of Dean’s soul held within it and then he stood and stared at Alastair. For now the demon would live, even hell needed some sort of order and killing Alastair would cause chaos.
“We meet again and I will kill you.” Harry promised and then apparated, following the feel of Dean’s soul to find his body. He reappeared in a nice clearing marked with a crude wooden cross. Step one was complete.

-----------------------------------
Castiel looked around and then headed to where he could hear fighting. He stayed in the shadows and watched as the mortal fought with a demon. He shivered at the feel of the power coming from the young man as he forced the demon from its host. Castiel lunged, his sword killing the demon that had been sneaking up on Sam who spun around in shock.

“You need to watch your surroundings better Sam.” Castiel said and hazel eyes narrowed. He felt Sam brush him with his powers, searching for a demonic presence and finding nothing.

“Who are you?” Sam asked suspiciously.

“My name is Castiel. I was asked to come help you.”

“By who?” Sam demanded and Castiel smiled.

“I doubt you would believe me.” He answered calmly.

“Try me.”

“As you wish. The Archangel Michael asked that you and your brother be helped.”

“My...Dean’s dead, has been for nearly four months.” Sam spat angrily but Castiel could feel the pain coming from Sam and took a step closer.

“I know that, but he will not be dead for much longer.”

“Sam what’s taking so....” Ruby trailed off and froze as she spotted Castiel. She backed away a step and then looked at Sam.
“Sam get away from him.” She ordered and Castiel cocked his head to the side to stare at her.

“Unlike you he has nothing to fear from me demon.” He stated and she snorted.

“Yeah right, I can feel what you are.” She spat out.

“What is he Ruby? He’s not a demon.” Sam asked, not liking how nervous she seemed.

“He’s Death’s Angel.” She answered and Sam’s eyes went wide.
“Where’s your Master?”

“Retrieving Dean Winchester from the Pit.” Castiel answered, actually enjoying himself. Sam gasped and took a half step towards him.

“Dean? Who is your Master? What’s going on?” Sam pleaded and Castiel held out his hand, unknowing echoing Harry’s movements at that moment.

“Come with me Sam. I give you my word you will not be harmed and you will be with Dean.” Castiel said and Ruby tried to argue but he silenced her easily, tapping a little of Harry’s magic to do so since it wasn’t something an angel could do. Sam looked at him, a desperate hope in his eyes and Castiel smiled at him.
“It will be alright Sam, I promise.”

“I’ll be with Dean?” Sam asked in a whisper and Castiel realised Sam didn’t care if he was killed, as long as he could be with Dean again and his heart went out to the boy. Just like Harry had needed first Michael and then him, Sam needed his brother.

“You have my word.” Castiel told him softly and Sam slowly moved towards him, hand raising until his fingers brushed Castiel’s. Castiel pulled him closer and then used his free hand to touch Sam’s forehead. Hazel eyes instantly fell shut as Sam collapsed in his arms. Castiel had decided it would be better for Sam to sleep until Harry returned with Dean. He spared one last glance for the demon, before flashing back home. He lay Sam down on the unused guest bed and then settled in to wait for his bonded to return. He knew Harry was no longer in Hell but somewhere a few hundred miles away.

Castiel only relaxed when he felt Harry apparated into the basement. He walked downstairs and opened the door to find harry standing beside a crude pine box which smelt rather badly of decay.

“You got Dean out alright?” Castiel asked as he moved in to hug his bonded. Harry smiled, nodded and then kissed him.

“How did finding Sam go?” Harry asked when they parted.

“He’s asleep in the guestroom, I thought it best to keep him out until Dean is revived. The demon, Ruby, told him what I was but he didn’t care if I killed him as long as he got to be with Dean again. He’s trying to be strong but in reality he’s...”

“Broken. So is Dean. He hadn’t begun to turn yet but he broke Cas and so did the seal. I wish I could make him forget hell but...”

“He needs to deal with what happened.” The angel finished for him and Harry nodded.
“Come to bed, the brothers are safe for now and you need to rest.” Castiel tugged him gently towards the door but Harry resisted.

“But Dean...”

“Is in no danger and you should be well rested before bringing him back Harry. Neither of them will notice the difference of one night.” He argued and Harry sagged against him tiredly.

“Alright, you win.” Harry answered and Castiel smiled before flashing them to their bedroom. He gently peeled Harry’s clothes off and then his own before tucking them both into bed, Harry already asleep in his arms. He stiffened as he felt a presence and then smiled as he saw Michael for just a second and then Archangel smiled at him in return before vanishing.

TBC...