Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Dean held Sam as the trembling slowly spread throughout his body until his teeth were chattering.

“De...Dean.” Sam called and Dean tightened his grip.

“I’m here Sammy, I’ve got you. You’re gonna be okay.” Dean whispered and Sam clung to his voice and touch like a lifeline, because that was what they were. He hurt all over, his muscles contracting and relaxing nonstop and his stomach was churning but as long as Dean was there he could go through with it.

“Scared.......hur...hurts.” Sam forced out and he felt Dean’s hand on his forehead, brushing his hair out of his eyes for him.

“I know but you’re gonna get through this. You hear me Sam?”

“Yeah.”Sam answered and he moved his hand just enough to touch the one Dean had wrapped around his waist. He felt Dean twist his hand around and then thread their fingers together. Sam clung as tightly as he could with how badly he was shaking and Dean returned the grip.
“De...”

“Yeah?”

“Gonna....sick....” Sam groaned and Dean sat up, whispering the word that would extend the chains and then he dragged Sam over to the toilet and held him up as he emptied his stomach. And then his eyes went wide as he saw what else was coming up.

“Harry! Castiel! One of you please!” He screamed and both appeared, dressed in only sweatpants.

“Dean?” Harry asked and then he saw what had Dean panicked.
“Um Cas should he be throwing up blood?” Harry asked and Castiel nodded.

“It needs to leave his system. Just water until he stops throwing up blood.” The angel advised and then they helped Dean clean Sam up and get him back on the bed. Sam was nearly convulsing he was shaking so hard and his eyes were glassy.

“De...Dea....” He cried out and Dean sat so Sam’s head was in his lap.

“I’m here Sammy.” He soothed but Sam kept trying to call for him. Dean checked his forehead and grimaced as he felt the heat. Harry set up a basin of cool water and handed him a cloth before the two left again.
“Sam can you hear me?”

“Please...De....” Sam started to thrash and Dean shifted so he could pin him with his body.

“Sam look at me, I’m right here kiddo.” He held Sam’s face and looked right into his eyes, trying to make Sam see him. He smiled as Sam’s eyes focused a bit.
“That’s it Sammy, I’ve got you.” Sam whimpered in reply but let his face rub against Dean’s hand.
“You with me Sam?” He asked and Sam blinked and the coughed.

“Dean........don’t...go.”

“Not going anywhere Sam. You’re sick kiddo, remember? We just have to wait it out.” Dean told him, figuring Sam was too far gone to try reminding him he was in detox. He was grateful when Sam settled again, eyes roaming the room without really focusing on anything. He just kept up the gentle talk and bathing Sam with cool cloths. When Sam paled and started moaning, clutching his stomach, Dean hauled him up and over to the toilet again, holding him as Sam threw up more blood. After that he was sort of coherent again for a bit and managed to drink a little water when prodded. Sam curled into him when he managed to get him back to the bed and Dean drifted off to sleep despite his best efforts to stay awake.

He was woken a few hours later by Sam screaming. Dean sat up and looked at him, trying to figure out what was wrong. Sam was stretched out on the bed and his eyes were wide but Dean had the feeling Sam wasn’t seeing him.

“Sam? Sammy! It’s okay. Come on talk to me, tell me what’s wrong.” He pleaded but Sam just screamed again, jerking as if he’d been hit.

“Don't. No, no, don't. Don't, don't. No—stop! Stop! Lilith—please. Please.” Sam begged and then screamed in pain again and Dean realised he was hallucinating.

“Sam come on snap out of it. She’s not here, it’s not real.” Dean murmured, reaching out to run his fingers through Sam’s sweat drenched hair.
“Come back to me kiddo.” He begged as Sam screamed and begged.

“No! No! God no!! Please!” Sam fought against his shackles and Dean watched his wrists, happy when no injuries appeared from the spelled metal. It seemed to last for years but eventually Sam began to settle again, his eyes open but still not seeing Dean. Dean tensed as Sam seemed to focus on an empty part of the room.
“I’m losing my mind.” Sam whispered and Dean flinched.

“Sam whatever you’re seeing, ignore it. Come on try and focus on me. I’m right here Sammy.” Dean pleaded as he wiped his brother down with a cool cloth but Sam didn’t notice.

“What do you want?” Sam sounded tired and puzzled but at least it was better than him screaming.
“I tried. I did. It didn't pan out that way. Sorry, kid.” Sam told whoever he was seeing and Dean frowned, what didn’t pan out?
“They killed Jessica.” Sam moaned and then flinched guiltily.
“Had to leave with him, need Dean.” Sam moved a little and Dean hushed him.
“I'm sorry. I am. But life doesn't turn out the way you thought when you were fourteen years old. We were never gonna be normal. We were never gonna get away. Grow up.” Was Sam talking to himself? Sam sighed and his eyes drifted shut. Dean relaxed as the fit seemed to pass, getting off the bed and heading over to the tray that had appeared. He wasn’t hungry but he had to keep his strength up to look after Sam.
“Dean!” Sam cried out, jerking against the chains and Dean ran back to the bed.

“Easy Sammy, I’m here.” He soothed and smiled as hazel slowly seemed to focus on him.
“That’s it Sam, just take it easy.”

“You real?” Sam whispered and Dean nodded.

“I’m real kid. You’ve got a fever, think you can keep some water down?” He asked and Sam just stared up at him. Dean picked up the bottle and put it to Sam’s lips, relieved when he managed to drink on his own.
“That’s good Sam. Remember what’s going on?” He asked and Sam shook his head only to wince.
“You’re going through withdrawal Sammy. You’ve been hallucinating and chucking up blood for nearly a day now.

“Hot.” Sam whispered and Dean chuckled.

“That’d be because you’ve got a fever. Need anything while you’re coherent?” he asked and Sam bit his lip.

“Toilet.” He whispered, blushing and Dean nodded, lengthening the chains and helping Sam over there and then he turned his back to give Sam some privacy. Once he was done Dean helped him back over to the bed, noticing the sheets had changed while they were gone. That was nice and Sam sighed at the feel of coolness as his skin touched them. The excursion has sapped all his strength and his eyes were drooping.

“Get some sleep Sam, I won’t leave you. Remember Sam, no matter what you see or hear I’m here for you kiddo.” Dean whispered as Sam’s eyes slid shut.

-----------------------------------------
“Think they’re okay?” Harry asked and Castiel hugged him.

“Dean has not called for either of us again and he would if something happened he couldn’t handle alone.” Castiel reassured his bonded and Harry nodded, rolling over in the bed and smiling mischievously down at Castiel.

“Let’s hope he doesn’t call anytime soon then.” He said before claiming Castiel’s lips with his own.

---------------------------
“Mom.” The choked whisper had Dean sitting up and pulling Sam closer.

“Shh Sammy, its okay.” He whispered but Sam was once again lost in his own world.

“Let’s hear it, go ahead.” Sam whispered sadly and Dean shut his eyes, why did it have to be their Mom?
“You're disappointed. You never thought I'd turn out this way. I'm a piss-poor excuse for a son. Your heart is broken. Am I close?” Sam asked and this time it was Dean choking back a sob.

“Sammy no, not this.” He whispered.

“But—but Dean—no he wants me better.” Sam stuttered and Dean kissed his cheek, trying to offer comfort.
“For revenge?” Sam asked, sounding a little puzzled. He was looking over at the corner near the door, eyes wide and glazed, and his body was so hot. Dean managed to manhandle him enough to yank the shirt off him, wiping his chest down with the cold cloth. Sam didn’t react at all.
“What's in me, Mom, it's—What if it's stronger than me? Look at me. What if Dad was right?”

“No Sam, you’re stronger than this. You hear me? We’re gonna beat this.” Dean told him firmly and for a second it seemed that Sam had heard him.

“Even if it kills me.” Sam whispered and Dean growled.

“No Sam! No dying allowed! Damn it Sam listen to me!” He yelled and Sam seemed to see him for a second before his head lolled to the side, eyes rolling back and then he was seizing. Dean held him down as best he could, calling for Sam to hold on and finally his little brother went limp. Scared, Dean reached out and then relaxed as he felt a pulse. Dean cradled Sam close, listening to Sam’s heartbeat and almost steady breathing for a while before getting up to see to his own needs. Dean stared at the room in surprise, the food tray was smashed and the curtain hiding the toilet was ripped to shreds and spread around. Obviously Sam’s powers had lashed out at the room during his fit and Dean was just happy it hadn’t been at him.

He crawled back onto the bed, wrapping himself around Sam so he’d know if Sam so much as twitched and then slowly drifted into an exhausted sleep. He figured it had been a bit more than a day now, how much longer could it last and would Sam be able to hold on that long? What if what Sam had said hours ago was true? What if Sam was losing his mind?

------------------------------
“Dean please, you know why.” Sam begged and Dean opened his eyes, sitting up slowly.

“Sam?” He asked but Sam didn’t respond, looking past him at something.

“Just leave me alone.” Sam whispered, sounding heartbroken and Dean lengthened the chains just enough that he could cradle Sam in his arms.

“I’m here Sammy; don’t listen to anything but me please. I’ll never leave you, I promise. Just come back to me kiddo.”

“No, your wrong Dean. Did it for you. Need you, always.”

“I need you to Sammy, come on wake up.” Dean begged.

“Stop please. Know it’s wrong, can’t stop it. Left to keep you from knowing. Dad knew, hated it, hated me.” Sam mumbled and Dean frowned, not sure what Sam was going on about. Their Dad had never hated Sam.
“Love you too much, don’t leave me. Please!” Sam cried out, struggling in Dean’s arms.

“Sam I’m here, I’m not leaving you.” Dean whispered in his ear and Sam calmed a bit.

“Dean no. Don’t say that to me. Don’t you say that to me. Not a monster.” Sam pleaded brokenly and Dean buried his face in Sam’s shirt, tears falling silently.

“Never a monster Sammy, never.” He choked out and then nearly jumped as a shaking hand touched him. He looked up to see Sam staring at him in wide eyed wonder.
“You back with me Sam?” He asked, wiping at the tears.

“Dean.” Sam pleaded, reaching out and Dean pulled him into a hug, nestling Sam’s head in the crook of his neck.

“I’m here Sammy, I’ve got you.” Dean whispered and Sam hiccupped, tears falling to wet Dean’s skin and shirt.

“Not monster?”

“No Sam, you’re not a monster. Never could be.”

“Dean help.” Sam begged and Dean held him tighter.

“I’m trying Sam; I just don’t know what else to do.” Dean whispered and he felt Sam try to hug him but the poor kid was exhausted. He eventually lowered Sam back onto the bed and smiled down at him.
“Think you could keep some broth down?” He asked and Sam gave a jerky nod. He picked up the cup and held to Sam’s lips, happy that Sam managed to drink almost half before weakly pushing it away.
“How do you feel?”

“Sore...tired, confused.” Sam whispered and Dean nodded.

“You’ve been delirious for over a day now, even had some sort of seizure. Scared the hell out of me.” Dean admitted and Sam frowned.

“Sorry.” He whispered and Dean cupped his face with a hand.

“You’ve got nothing to be sorry for Sammy. I just want you to get better, okay?”

“Okay. Love you.” Sam said and then he was asleep again.

“Love you too Sammy.” Dean put the cup back on the tray and settled in again, he had to sleep when Sam did or he’d be too exhausted to be any help to the kid. He never noticed when Harry appeared to check on them and magically changed the sheets on them, tucking them both in gently. Harry checked Sam over and frowned, he wasn’t out of the woods yet.

Dean woke a few hours later to Sam mumbling and tossing on the bed, he felt him and sure enough his fever was up again. He was getting very good at wiping him down with cool cloths. Fever bright eyes opened and Sam tried to get away from the coldness but Dean just followed him.

“Easy Sam, you’re fevers up again. Got to cool you down bro.” Dean told him but then realised Sam wasn’t looking at him. He hated listening to Sam go through hallucinations. Why couldn’t he see anything happy?

“Jess....no please don’t.” Sam begged and Dean closed his eyes. He’d wondered when she’d make an appearance from Sam’s subconscious.
“Loved you...I did. Didn’t want you to get hurt. Please forgive me.” Sam whispered and Dean lay down beside him, holding him close as Sam begged for Jess to forgive him.
“Had to go, loved you but loved him more.” Dean frowned at that, what was Sam seeing? Who did he love more than Jess?
“Jess no, hurt me not Dean. Can’t help it, not his fault. I’m rotten, not him.” Dean listened and swallowed, Sam couldn’t be saying....could he? He looked down at Sam and gently brushed his too long hair out of his face.

“Oh Sammy. Why didn’t you ever say anything?” But Dean knew why, he was afraid. Suddenly the little bits he hadn’t understood earlier began to click together. Sam loved him, had for years by the sound of it. That’s why the kid had run off to college, because it was wrong. And their Dad had known...his reaction to Sam leaving made more sense now. He wished Sam had told him instead of running, he’d never turn Sam away, never.

-----------------------------------
Sam woke up shivering and aching all over but he couldn’t move. He looked around to see he was chained to the bed and Dean was playing human octopus, at least he thought it was Dean. Was it even real? He licked his lips and then opened his mouth.

“Dean.” His voice was a hoarse whisper but green eyes snapped open instantly.
“Water.” He whispered and Dean nodded, reaching over to grab a bottle and then he held it while Sam drank.
“Thanks.”

“Well you sound pretty coherent. How do you feel?” Dean asked, testing his forehead and Sam leant into the tender touch.

“Sore, confused. Bit cold.”

“Looks like your fever finally broke. I think you might be through the worst now.”

“How long?” Sam asked, trying to move and Dean helped him sit up.

“Bout three days. You’ve been pretty out of it, hallucinating and sleeping most of the time.”

“But you stayed.” Sam said, smiling slightly.

“Promised I would, didn’t I? You should try to drink some soup; I haven’t always been able to get you to drink.” Dean admitted and Sam nodded, letting Dean hold the mug as he sipped the lukewarm liquid. His stomach protested at first but he ignored it and it settled.
“Glad you’re back Sammy. Get some more sleep, I’m not going anywhere.”

TBC...