Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup

Story Notes:
Black Jack is an anime/manga series featuring a mercenary Doctor. Some of the anime is available through netflix, the manga is being reprinted in 2008.

Black Jack pulls his cape closer over his shoulders as he stands at the edge of the small cliff overlooking the water below. The small seaside hotel behind him had been taken over by himself and the others as a base of operations for their mission, he'd spent the last couple of days setting up a room for surgery in case it had been needed.

He looks over at the sea once again before heading back inside, shutting the door firmly behind him and checking the shutters the young man Xander had built for the occupied rooms. They're going to be needed tonight, according to the news a storm is blowing in that will hit by nightfall. He'd argued in the beginning about making radical changes to the hotel but the changes had made being there more bearable, even if he did have to put up with squealing teenage girls who thought he was cute. He scowls. . . he is not. . . cute. Walking over to what had been the check-in desk when the hotel was operating, he checks the computer screen that shows where everybody is thanks to transponders everybody wears as part of their clothing. A quick look assures him that he had been the only person outside and he turns the PA system on.

“I'm locking us down, the wind is already beginning to pick up.” he sits down and inputs the commands to lock down the building, hearing the sounds of thunks as doors and windows are locked automatically. A look at a second screen tells him that everything is locked and he stands up as Xander walks into the room, absently rubbing the back of his neck. Walking around the desk, he taps in a few commands and checks the weather outside, shuddering. “I'd heard this area gets some nasty weather, but this is the first time I've actually seen it in person.” He looks over his shoulder at the other man. “What kind of preparations do I need to make in case we lose power?”

“We've got a generator for the most important areas. That should last for as long as the storm lasts, if we have enough fuel.” Black Jack says slowly, mentally checking what will be needed if they're locked inside for any length of time. “We should shut down the computer system, only leaving one operating where we are. . .”

Xander nods. “If we lose power, we don't want to run around the hotel shutting down computers.” He taps in a couple of commands and a message flashes on the screen telling them the computer system will be shutting down in fifteen minutes, giving anybody working ample time to close and save open documents before the system shuts down.

“Where is everybody?” Black Jack asks, following Xander into the heart of the old hotel, there should have been at least one person yelling about the computer system going down.

“I sent them off to G-Man when I heard the weather forecast, it sounds like we're going to be locked in for a couple of days and they'd be bouncing off the walls.” Xander says. “It's just you, me, and the creepy guy.” Black Jack smiles slightly at the nickname Xander had given Dr. Kiriko. Then the rest of what Xander had said sinks into his brain.

“Piniko actually agreed to go?” Black Jack stops and looks at the other man.

Xander's lips twitch. “Not exactly, Dawn packed her a bag of clothes, I picked her up and walked her through the portal, handed her off to Buffy and ran like hell back through, hoping it would shut before she could get loose and run back, she was not happy but Buffy's stronger than she looks. She won't be happy when she gets back, but it will be my shins she's kicking, not yours.”

“What happens if . . .”

“Something happens?” Xander says, holding up his wrist. “See this button on my watch, I push it and Dawn can be here instantly, it's our emergency signal. First sign of trouble, it's getting pushed. In addition, Willow's got a wellness charm on me, if anything happens and I'm significantly hurt, it goes off and they come looking for me. Saved my life in Africa.”

“We're supposed to be safe here, I doubt that you need it.”

Xander barks out a short, humorless laugh. “Trust me Doc, the places that look the safest are usually the most dangerous. Ask me about my hometown sometime.” He looks at him. “Something happens and I can't push it, you do since you'll probably be with me. Tell the creepy guy too, huh?”