Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


“Fargo, get on the phone and call Nathan. Have him and Henry meet us out here.” Allison calls over her shoulder as she walks up to the crying men on the ground. “Gentlemen,” she says dryly.

“You shot at us.” one of them whines. “You shot at us and used tear gas on us.”

“You shot at my baby sister,” Jo snarls in their face. “Be damn lucky Buck shot over your heads. As for the tear gas? You were attacking them, they were just defending themselves.”

Nathan pulls into the driveway and moans, shaking his head. Henry pulls in behind him and blinks. They both stare at the shot up car and house, men bound on the ground and sigh.

“What happened?” Nathan asks, pinching his nose to fight the headache pounding behind his eyes.

“These gentlemen,” Jo says in her most sarcastic voice, “were out in the woods trespassing when they decided to start shooting up the yard. My sister and Carter were outside at the time, luckily they didn't get hurt. Buck covered them so they could get inside. Now they're whining that Buck shot back at them.”

“We weren't trespassing,” one of them whines.

“Actually yes you were, the city limits ended a few miles back.” Allison says. “Now for the more important question, what were you doing out here in the first place?” She taps her foot. “I'm waiting gentlemen.”

“What sort of damage are we looking at, Spencer?” Greta asks as Spence comes back outside, his camera phone in his hand busy taking pictures of the surroundings.

“We got a couple of broken windows, we need to dig bullets out some of the walls. We need to buy some new light fixtures and I don't trust the electrical until somebody looks at it. The house will need repainting thanks to the paint balls.” Nathan moans at the lurid pink splotches on the house and barn. “And of course there's Buck's baby.”

“Damn it, I just got the kitchen clean.” Ryan moans.

“Relax bro, the kitchen is the only room that wasn't touched.” Spencer sighs.

“Please don't touch anything, lawyers from Global Dynamics will need to look everything over.” Nathan sighs. “I'll call and have an electrician come out to check everything over, make a list of what you need to replace and we'll take care of it and any other repairs needed. Deputy Lupo, will you and Sheriff Carter take these 'people' to the jail, I'll be there later to deal with them.” He holds the phone to his ear and immediately starts snapping orders. Meanwhile, Allison is also talking into her phone and Fargo is busy running between the two of them, making notes. Henry pulls Buck's car onto his wrecker and takes off for his garage as a van pulls into the yard, a global dynamics crew emerging as a smart car pulls in behind them.

“You can use this car until yours is fixed.” Allison says, “Henry should have your car fixed in a couple of days.”

Jo and Carter drag their prisoners to their cars and head for the station as Nathan follows one of Global Dynamics lawyers through the house with Spencer making notes of what needs to be fixed or replaced. Meanwhile Allison is on the phone with another of Global Dynamics lawyers, telling them what happened and sending them to the station to talk with Jack about what the charges would be.

Jo looks up after locking the last prisoner in the cell as Vincent rushes in.

“Sheriff Carter, Jo, I just heard. What can I do to help?”

Jo looks over at him, then at Carter. “Carter, call Dr. Blake and see if Ryan's started dinner yet? If not, Vincent can take them some food so they don't have to cook tonight.”

“I can do that,” Vincent turns to look at Jack who picks up the phone and calls Allison.

“No he hasn't, Vincent.” Vincent nods and quickly leaves the Sheriff office, passing Zoe as she runs into the room.

“Dad, I just heard, how's Greta?”

“She's a little shook up honey, but she's not hurt.” Jack holds her by the shoulders and pulls her into his arms for a hug, thankful it wasn't his daughter that had been shot at. “Her brothers are with her right now.”

“Yeah, but I bet she could use a hug from her dad right about now.” Zoe reads his mood like an open book.

“And I know her Dad probably wishes he could hold her right now.” Jack whispers against her hair. “All I could think was thank god it wasn't you.”

“Are you going to be home for dinner?” Zoe asks, pulling out of his arms.

“I really shouldn't. . “ Jack says, looking at the prisoners.

“Go,” Jo waves him off. “We'll be fine. I'll call when the lawyer from Global gets here, go home, relax, and hold Zoe.”

“Thanks Jo,” Jack grabs his keys and follows his daughter out of the door.

The phone rings about five minutes after Jack leaves, she sighs and picks it up, knowing everybody in town is going to be calling when they hear what happened. Briefly she wonders if Henry would be willing to make a special announcement but that would mean a second announcement asking everybody to have their VidCell's on. Oh well, he can make an announcement tomorrow during his regular talk.

“Sheriff's office, Lupo speaking.” she says, picking up the phone and putting her feet up on the desk.

“It's Stark, let me talk to Carter.”

“He's not here,” she says.

“What do you mean he's not there?” Nathan yells into his phone. Jo knew what was coming and had held the phone away from her ear.

“He's . . . not . . . here.” she says slowly like she's talking to a particularly stubborn two year old refusing to eat their vegetables. “I sent him home with Zoe, the shooting was catching up with him. I told him to go home, relax, and hold Zoe.”

“I need his report for the records.” Nathan sighs, pinching his nose.

“Give him a couple of hours to calm down and call him at home, or wait until the morning and he can do it then. We both didn't need to be here and all Carter could think about is that it might have been Zoe being shot at today.”

“Dammit, I hadn't thought of that.” Nathan sighs, hanging up. He turns to look at Allison. “Lupo sent Carter home, he was shook up after the shooting. Something about imagining it might have been Zoe instead of Greta being shot at.” Allison shakes her head, knowing as a parent what Carter has to be going through.