Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Jo and Jack head to their vehicles when Jack hangs up the phone, passing Henry and Zoe coming in the door with a bag of food. Jack pauses long enough to kiss Zoe's cheek in passing. “Shouldn't you be in school?” he asks calmly, raising an eyebrow.

“Parent-teacher thing Dad. .” Zoe says rolling her eyes. “School let out at noon.”

“Just checking.” He says with a smile as he walks off, leaving Zoe rolling her eyes as she puts the food down on the table. “Sorry for making you guys eat over here, the others should stop staring . . . eventually.”

Greta snickers. “Let me guess, you're not from around here originally.”

Zoe smiles. “You can tell, huh? No, Dad and I are originally from LA.”

“I'm from New York, Buck's from Denver, Spencer's from DC, and Ryan's from the home of tans. . . Miami.”

“Cool, I've always wanted to travel.” Zoe says pulling over a chair and sitting down.

“Zoe, you did do some traveling, which is why your Dad is upset with you.” Henry says calmly, pulling up another chair and sitting down as Greta starts unwrapping her burger. “So what do you guys do?”

“Buck's an ATF agent, Spencer is a profiler with the FBI, Ryan's a CSI in Miami, and I'm just a computer technician.” Greta says. Buck snorts, Spencer rolls his eyes, and Ryan throws a french fry at her head. “Yeah, suuuuurrrreeeee you're just a computer tech.” Buck drawls in his best sarcastic tone. “And I'm Queen Latifah.”

“You'd look horrible in her dresses.” Greta says, rolling her eyes.

“Why are you in Eureka?” Henry asks, subtly trying to question the newcomers without being suspicious. The looks on their faces tell him he's not succeeding.

“Just came to visit Jo for a couple of days while I'm off.” Buck says, leaning back in his chair. “I haven't seen little sister in . . . well years.”

“Little sister?” Henry asks with a smile.

“Yeah, can't say baby sister 'cause that's Greta there.” Greta tosses a onion ring in his direction. “Why thank you darlin. . .” he says, grabbing it out of the air. “Want to pass me the salt too?”

“Nope,” Greta says. “Unc 'Pol said no salt for you, your blood pressure is too high right now. He wants you to cut the salt for a few months and see if it makes a difference.”

“Damn,” Buck mutters. “Fries and onion rings don't seem the same without salt.”

“Vincent uses a salt substitute in cooking.” Henry says. “You can't tell the difference.”

“Where was I? Oh yeah, we haven't seen Jo for a couple of years and since I had some time off I decided a little road trip was in order. The others decided to tag along. . .”

“To try and keep you out of trouble.” Ryan snorts. “Do you have to piss Jo off every time you see her?”

“Yep.” Buck says with a grin. “Don't you know you only hurt the ones you love?”

“Is that along the lines of 'I'm cold, put on a sweater.'” Greta asks, rolling her eyes. The phone in her purse beeps and she excuses herself and walks over to the corner to answer it.

“Yeah?” she asks, closing her eyes and leaning against the wall.

“Hey Greta, you guys make it to Eureka yet?” Joxer asks, leaning back into his throne.

“Yeah, we got here about fifteen minutes ago.” Greta says. “We're going to head to a grocery store for some supplies and then to the farm.”

“You guys got a place to stay here?” Zoe asks, perking up. Greta may look older, she's already got a job anyway, but she would swear the other girl isn't that much older than she is. It might be nice having somebody close to her own age in Eureka for a couple of weeks to talk to, one who isn't a super uber genius or lived in Eureka her whole life.

“Yeah, the family brought some land just outside of town, an old farm that went belly-up.” Buck says, “We passed a grocery store on the way in, we can stock up there.”

Greta listens to the voice on the phone, nodding before hanging up. “Dad says everything should be ready to go there, we might need to turn the generator on and open the windows for some air. The satellite dish is already installed and turned on so we've got tv and internet, and a decent selection of dvds.”

“Well, as soon as you've finished eating we can go.” Buck says, leaning back in his chair. “I already ate so we can leave anytime.” Greta says. Buck blinks. “When did you get a chance to eat?”

“And where are you going?” Allison asks, following Nathan out the door at his look.

“I'm going to go do a background check on our visitors.” he hisses. “Don't you think it's a little suspicious that Lupo suddenly has family visiting?”

“Nathan, don't be paranoid.” Allison says, rolling her eyes as Buck and Greta, already bickering good naturedly walk out of the sheriff's office, Greta calmly walking backwards. “Some things in life are just what they appear to be.”

“Allison, they're government agents. . . .” He hisses.

“Well Greta's not, I don't think she's any older than Zoe and I'm sure both of them are relieved to have somebody their own age to talk to, somebody who hasn't lived here all their lives.” Allison says, getting into her car. Nathan's hand stops her as she gets ready to turn the key.

“Allison, they brought land outside of town!” he hisses.

“Well, not much you can do about that, Nathan. You can't control anything that happens outside of Eureka.”

“I still say they're up to something.” He hisses, getting into his car and angrily driving off. Sighing, Allison heads out, in the opposite direction.

“Hey Jo, we're heading off to the farm.” Ryan calls as they pull up to the patrol vehicles on the way to the grocery store. “Meet us after you get off work?”

“Sure, oh ignore the bald guy dressed in khakis with the night vision gear. That's Taggart, he's harmless. I've got his trank darts.” Jo says as they get ready to go.