Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


“I dunno, I find my mouth and bad habits usually make a bad first impression.” I say as we hit the elevator. “It usually takes a while for me to grow on people.”

“Like fungus?” Dawn smirks at me, looking over her shoulder as we exit the elevator. I leave a note at the front desk to hold my messages and any mail I might get until I return and follow her out the door.

“If the mommas can put up with Vinnie in full Van Wham hyped on Muir berries bouncing off the walls mode, I'm sure they can deal with you.” Dawn says. “From what Modo tells me, his mother was a bit of a troublemaker in her youth, she'll probably look at you and sigh, remembering when she was your age.”

“If you say so,” I say dryly as we pull into the Garage, finding the motorcycles gone.

“Don't tell me the guys left without us.” Dawn says, rolling her eyes.
“Well, that's one way to get out of having to accept a medal.” I snicker. Charley comes out of the garage, wiping her hands on a rag.

“Rimfire and Vinny went to Chef Andy's to get dinner, Xander and the boys went to go har. . . err check on Limburger to make sure he's not going to do something the few hours we'll be gone. Enamel's volunteered to come to the garage while we're gone, that way he can call us immediately if something happens.”

“Enamel?” I ask Dawn.

“Our Doc, he's another mouse who's living here on Earth. He got banished from Mars so he can't go back yet, but we're working on it.” Dawn says. “He's got his own apartment, but he's over here a lot, him and his lady.” Dawn looks over. “Here he comes now.” she smiles at the sight of another gray mouse nearly as big as Modo pulling into the garage. “Hey Enamel,” she wraps an arm around him and he returns the hug.

“Hello Dawn, Charley.” he says somewhat stiffly, looking over at me. Dawn follows his gaze and smiles. “Oh, that's Greta, she helped us out when Limburger sent his goons after us. Greta ended up grabbing Karbunkle and we sent him up to Mars, I think Stoker's going to ask you or Micah if there's a way we can know for sure if this is the original or another clone.”

“You're going up to talk to Stoker about what happened?” Enamel asks as the others come into the garage.

“That and the Council want to give Greta a medal for helping out.” Dawn calls over her shoulder, dragging me towards the kitchen with one hand. Enamel blinks after the two girls, stunned. Vinnie pokes him with his tail with a grin and he swats at him.

“What the hell did I miss?” he asks Throttle as they settle around the table, Greta and Dawn sitting by the sink on bar stools, their plates on the counter or their laps. Vic is brought down from his crib and spends most of the meal in either Xander or Vinnie's arms while his mother sighs and rolls her eyes.

“Are you sure you don't want us to take Vic with us?” Vinnie asks Charley, refusing to hand the sleeping baby over. Charley taps her foot and gives him a look and he meekly puts the baby down in his crib, allowing Charley to push him out the door and shut it behind her. “Vinnie, we're only going to be gone a couple of hours, overnight at most. If something happens, Enamel has orders to call Mars and tell them what's going on and then get himself and Vic to the safe room if the Garage is under attack. If it makes you feel better, Enamel can even bring Vic down here with him.”

“I'd rather we take him with us, he's grown since the Mommas saw him last.”

“Nope, not when the baby is so young. We don't know what the transporter can do to a baby that young if they go through it too often.” Enamel says from his spot on the couch. “Your mothers can come down here if they want to see the baby until he's a little older.” Charley nods agreement and pushes Vinnie in the direction of the transporter as a chime lets everybody know Mars is ready for them.

“You ready?” Dawn asks me as we walk towards the glowing transporter.

“Ready for anything.” I say. “How many of my family can say they've been to another planet?” I take a deep breath and walk into the light.