Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


“Wah, wah, wah, wah, wah.” Joxer says, making talking motions with his hands. “Hush, Grumpy. Hades and I will fuck you through the mattress later, I want to see this.”

Ares bad mood abruptly vanishes, and he smiles, a shy look on his face as he looks at his consorts. “Promise?”

“Yes, I promise,” Hades says with a sigh, “now hush so we can hear this.”

I pull up in front of the garage, smiling as the door opens and a woman in her mid 20’s waves me into the building. I shut the engine off and open the door, stretching before I pop the hood on the 56 station wagon.

“Damn, I haven’t seen one of these in years.” Charley says, whistling as she looks under the hood. “But I do know that this isn’t the original engine.”

“Nope,” I say grinning, “I replaced the engine last summer when I got her.” I pat the top of the car fondly. “I’ve still got some work to do on the body, my family swears the rust is the only thing holding it together, “but you can’t beat the cargo room in the older station wagons. The newer ones are just overgrown sedans with an open back instead an enclosed trunk.”

“How did you even find a ’56?” Charley asks, starting the oil change.

“Ebay,” I say smugly, “I got it pretty cheaply too since the original engine had seized up. Original owner was an older woman who had stopped driving when she entered a nursing home. The family sold the car when she died.”

“It’s nice to see a kid who wants an older car instead of a new one for their first car.” Charley says, smiling as Dawn enters the room, squealing as she pulls me towards the doorway.

“Actually, this is my third car.” I call over my shoulder. “My first car stays in New York.” I pull my wallet out and show them a picture taken by Dad last summer. Dawn whistles, not knowing what car she’s looking at but Charley grabs the wallet out of my hand, staring first at the picture and then at me. “You have a Lamborghini Countach???” She asks in a hushed tone.

“Ohhhh yeahhhhh,” I smirk, taking back the wallet and shoving it in my purse. “Now you know why I keep it at home.”

“I’d keep it in a museum.”

“I live in a mansion behind a ten foot wall with it’s own security force.” I snort. “Almost as good as a museum and I can drive her whenever I want.”

“You actually drive it?”

“Yeah, whenever I’m at home.” I call over my shoulder as I follow Dawn into her home.

“You drive what whenever you’re home?” A voice asks from the other side of the room and I blink when I see a six foot white mouse eating a hot dog at the table. He moans in disappointment when I don’t even blink at his appearance, and a second mouse snickers.

“My Lamborghini Countach.”

“You own a Countach?” The second mouse says, his mouth dropping. The tan mouse sitting next to him calmly closes it with a finger.

“Guys, this is a friend from school, Greta Logan. Greta, this is my adoptive fathers Throttle,” the tan mouse, “ and Xander.” the white mouse who’s mouth he’d closed, “The others are Vinnie,” the first white mouse who’d been disappointed when I hadn’t even blinked, “ and Modo.” a huge gray mouse with a metal arm and an eyepatch. “And you already know Rimfire from school. Nice try though, Vinnie.”

“Is everybody out to spoil my fun today?” the first mouse whines.

“Yep,” Dawn says with an evil grin. “Now, Rimmy and I need to talk to her a couple minutes about our final assignment for class.”

I follow Dawn down the stairs to a bedroom that’s obviously occupied by two people, three if you count the reborn person that’s occupying the cat currently sleeping on the pillow.

Dawn waves me to a seat on the couch in the corner of the room and drops onto the bed, automatically reaching over to pet the cat as she wakes, stretching all four legs and sticking her tongue out before curling around the other direction and going back to her nap.

“You know that things are a little strange here, right?”

“You mean the fact there’s five, make that four,” I correct as the door opens and Rimfire walks into the room, “six foot tall mice standing outside the door listening to everything we say, there’s a human spirit occupying the cat you’re still petting, or the fact that when we both met, we could tell immediately that neither of us are exactly what you would call human baseline normal?”

Dawn snickers. “Yeah, that stuff. Would you be the least bit shocked to find out that aliens are real?”

“Nope, I spent a year on a government operated satellite that nobody knows about and I’m not supposed to talk about,” I’m interrupted by a ringing telephone and raise my voice slightly to be heard through the door though I doubt they need it. “That’s probably Micah calling to complain. Remind him he’s not part of the spy business anymore and the satellite will be announced by the government later this year, along with some of the research conducted on the satellite.” I say dryly. “The satellite has seen quite a few ships going back and forth from Mars and some others that have been identified as Plutarkian. So, what are you really?”

Dawn takes a deep breath and slowly lets it out. “I'm the Key.”

Meanwhile, all hell(if Hades will pardon the expression) breaks loose on Mount Olympus.

Ares turns to glare at Zeus, while Hera and Hades give him the hairy eyeball as well. “Father, will you please tell me what the Hell my Key is doing human? You took it, sorry her, away from me because you didn’t think I could protect it well enough.”