Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Xander wakes up what seems like only a few minutes later but from the heaviness in his limbs would have to be hours later. He looks around the room, it's fully furnished but with none the homely touches that means somebody lives in it so it has to be a guest bedroom, it's sure not a hospital room and while the two men who were there earlier had doctor in their names, they sure as hell weren't your regular doctors. A twinge reminds him of what woke him earlier and he pushes the thick covers off of him in order to get up and walk to the bathroom he can see through the open door in the corner of the room.

 

"And where do you think you are going, young master Alexander?" a voice asks from behind Xander. Xander eeps and looks around, finding Alfred dressed in and old fashioned night shirt and dressing robe he is still pulling on.

 

"What time is it?" Xander asks, blinking. "I probably don't have a job anymore, not after being gone for a week. And I need to use the bathroom. And I should get out out of your hair, I'm sure your boss doesn't need somebody loafing around his house."

 

"From the beginning, it is four in the morning. You do have a job, your company has been off since just after you were injured, the city council has their knickers in a twist over the number of contracts your company has with the city and has them shut down while they are going over everything. Personally I think one of the council members is trying to get the city to use their company instead and is trying to find trouble."

 

"They won't." Xander says firmly.

 

"No they won't, which is why your company has the best record in the business. Your company went to court to have the city pay the salaries of their employees who are out of work because of the city's actions as well as any fees that will be levied on the company because they are not going to be able to bring their projects to completion by the scheduled due date. The city government is howling but the courts agreed with your company. You will be receiving a regular paycheck while the company is shut down, which will be until the end of January."

 

"But no overtime," Xander says, still half asleep.

 

"Young man, you do not need to kill yourself by working yourself into exhaustion. Whyever do you think you need so much overtime?"

 

"Construction is a seasonal job, the slow time has got to be coming up soon. I haven't been with the company long enough for them to keep me with no work coming in and I don't know if I qualify for unemployment yet. I am not going to go crawling back to Giles with my tail between my legs, not after he sent me away because I wasn't one of his precious slayers." he spits. If he were more awake he'd be shocked to be talking this freely with a man he'd only just met a few hours before he took his trip to la-la land.

 

Alfred snorts. "Trust me, with the amount of carnage supervillains cause, there is no such thing as a construction slow period in Gotham City." He walks around the side of the bed, helping Xander up to his feet and leading him across the room to the bathroom. Xander feels like he should complain, but his legs feel like two pieces of limp spaghetti.

 

"As for my employer, while this is his house it is my castle as the old saying goes. He offered to allow you to stay here when you were injured rather than send you to a hospital. Which is rather a good thing when you continued to be unconscious and we found you had been knocked out of your body."

 

Xander is tucked back into the bed by Alfred, his eyes already closing. He'll have to argue about getting out of here and back to his own apartment the next time he's awake. It's not like he needs anybody to take care of him, does he?

 

"Yes you do need somebody to watch out for you, if my nephew didn't have his head up his arse when it comes to his Slayers, he would be doing this." Alfred snorts as he watches Xander fall asleep.

 

The next morning Xander is awakened when somebody comes into the room with a tray of food. The dark haired man isn't that much older than him and he realizes instantly this must the the owner of the house, the multi-billionaire Bruce Wayne.

 

"Sorry to take up your guest room, but Alfred wouldn't let me leave when I woke up yesterday. " he mumbles not looking up as Bruce puts the tray over him.

 

"Let me let you in on a little secret Xander. Alfred raised me after my parents were killed when I was a kid, it doesn't pay to argue with him, just let him do what he wants because he'll give you that little 'you are an idiot look' of his and do what he was going to do anyway. And 99.9999 percent of the time? He was right anyway."