Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Xander wakes up the next morning, looking around the apartment. For the size of the building it's small, but he can knock out a couple of walls to expand it he thinks, grabbing a notebook and a pencil as he goes out the door. Looking around the top floor he makes a note of things he has to do, it looks like the people who had been working there had left one day and never returned.

 

Rummaging through the entire building takes a couple of hours and he heads back to his apartment, showering and putting on his last set of clean clothes before heading outside. Willow had e-mailed him maps of the city so he has a good idea of where he's going as he heads for the business center of town.

 

He finds a gas station and fills up his car, picking up a paper inside before heading for the nearest home center. He can't get much in his car, he'll have to see if he can find a small pickup at a reasonable price or rent a u-haul that fastens to the back of his car for the bigger items.

 

"Contractor?" the woman behind the counter asks, ringing up his items.

 

"Construction worker, I just moved to town and the building needs a lot of work."

 

"Well, you'll have plenty of job opportunities here if you don't already have a job." she says dryly as a figure flies over the building, not under his own power by the way he's doubled over. "We got nutzoid idiots who try to take out the Justice League at least once a week, and there's always a lot of cleanup."

 

Xander nods, takes the purchases out to the car and watches the flying battle overhead for a couple of minutes before getting into the car and heading for the nearest post office to his building. A post office box is rented, and he has his mail forwarded to his new address before walking out. He calls Willow and she soon has all the bills for the building going to the post office box before she hands up.

 

The next morning has Xander going to one of the ten construction companies in Gotham City, asking the security guard at the gate if they have any job openings.

 

"We always have job openings, do you have any experience?" the man the guard calls on his radio asks tiredly. Why do these kids always think that construction is a job they can just walk into?

 

"Three years on a construction crew in California, the last year as crew chief."

 

"Thank god, somebody who actually knows the construction industry. We get all these kids in who think only of the money that can be made and leave when they figure out it's hard work and not the easy money they were hoping. Why'd you leave California?"

 

"My town got swallowed by a giant sinkhole." Xander explains as he follows him into a construction trailer. He pulls out his licenses, reminding himself to run to the courthouse to be transferred and is soon filling out the employment paperwork.

 

"What are you doing in Gotham, if you don't mind my asking. There's got to be better places to be."

 

"I settled in Cleveland with some friends, but I had some trouble with a young lady."

 

"Girlfriend?" the guy behind the desk asks with a wince.

 

Xander shudders. "Eww, Gah No!, She's the girlfriend of my best friend. But she doesn't like me, jealous of the time Willow was spending with me and not her. Her Daddy's rich so she has a good case of I'm better than you. She blew up in the middle of the hallway insulting me, Willow nearly bitchslapped her to death, and since they were both needed there I got the short end of the stick. We had recently brought a building her in Gotham that was up for taxes, so I got 'elected' to come out here."

 

"Some friends." he snorts as he hands over safety equipment to Xander. "We'll see you on the site Monday, we're going to be starting a new shift then."

 

"I'll be back, probably tomorrow with my licenses transferred. Any good places where I can find a cheap truck? I've got a car right now and need something bigger to haul stuff to the building. I've got to start hauling the stuff they left behind out of there and do some repairs. And apply to the university, though I don't have a chance in hell of being accepted."

 

"Go to the community college first." the construction boss says with a grin. "A lot of older students there, and the credits transfer if you do go on to university. And you got more of a chance to be accepted as a transfer student than a new student, less competition."

 

"Thanks, that was one of the things I was 'ordered' to do when I got sent here, fix up the building in case it's needed, go to school, and go visit the uncle of the guy who sent me here."

 

"You're going to go visit the uncle of the guy who sent you here?" he asks in disbelief. "Why?"

 

"Before he got all stupid and chose a girl he'd known for less than six months over a boy he'd known for over seven years, Giles was my mentor."