Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup

Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks as always to BlueLadyK for beta’ing this for me.

Sam sat at the bottom of the bed, watching over Xander as he slept. After saying Sam’s name he’d passed out and had been asleep now for nearly twenty four hours. Bobby had guessed the stress of remembering his death and maybe more had overloaded his mind and so Xander was sleeping while he worked things out. It was the best any of them could come up with. Sam just wished he’d wake up; he was worried that Xander may have suffered a setback due to remembering the hellhounds. Who would blame him for trying to suppress that memory?

Sam moved further up the bed as Xander began to move restlessly. He held onto the hand that nearly hit him and ran the fingers of his other hand through Xander’s hair, trying to offer comfort. He sat up straighter as Xander’s eyelids began to flutter.

“Xander? It’s okay, you’re safe.” He called softly and was rewarded with confused brown eyes as they opened and slowly focused on him.
“Hey, bout time you woke up.” He greeted even though he knew Xander didn’t really understand.

“Sam? What? Where?” Xander groaned out, looking blearily around the room not noticing Sam’s frozen form. Did his questions mean? Sam couldn’t help the hope that welled up at the thought.

“Xander?” Sam called and Xander turned back to him. Sam swallowed and then decided to bite the bullet.
“What’s the last thing you remember?” He asked and Xander frowned in thought. Sam couldn’t keep his heart from racing in excitement and Xander stared at his pulse in concern.

“Sam what’s wrong? Your heart.”

“I’m okay Xander.” Sam soothed, squeezing the hand he still held. He smiled as Xander relaxed and even rolled closer to him.

“Feels nice.” The younger male slurred, already drifting back to sleep. Sam smiled down at him and decided to stay where he was for a while.

--------------------------
Bobby froze as he saw the big smile on Sam’s face as he came downstairs.

“Sam?” He questioned only to gasp in shock as Sam grabbed him in a hug.

“Xander woke up! And he was talking!” Sam practically shouted, bringing Dean running.

“What?” Dean asked, seeing there was no danger.

“Xander woke up and he knew who I was, then he asked where and what. He reacted every time I called his name and even used complete sentences!” Sam explained in a rush and Dean and Bobby smiled in relief.

“Guess you were right about his brain processing stuff.” Dean grinned at Bobby who nodded and then headed upstairs; wanting to be there the next time his nephew woke.

-------------------
Bobby moved closer as brown eyes blinked open sleepily before focusing on him.

“Uncle Bobby? Sam...Sam was here. Is he okay?” With that Bobby felt himself sinking to the floor in relief.
“Uncle Bobby!” Xander yelled, fear evident in his voice as he scrambled off the bed and to his uncles side. He squeaked in surprise as he was yanked into a rib crushing embrace.

“It’s good to have you back kiddo.” Bobby whispered into Xander’s hair as he held the young man close. Xander pulled back and frowned in confusion and Bobby asked the question he dreaded asking.
“What’s the last thing you remember?” he asked gently, standing and making Xander get back into bed.

“I....” Xander trailed off, eyes going wide and breathing hitching.

“Breath Xander!” Bobby called, worried. He could feel Sam and Dean hovering just outside the room but not coming in out of respect of him being family.
“It’s okay, you’re safe, everyone’s okay.

“Dean, he was going to die but Sam needs him. I couldn’t let Sam go through that.” Xander babbled, eyes wide and back against the headboard.

“Xander look at me.” Bobby ordered and terrified brown eyes met his.

“Dean and Sam are fine. Okay?” Xander nodded slowly, his breathing gradually calming.
“What else?”

“I got a call, one of Ethan’s contacts knew a spell that could help but it wouldn’t break the contract, just slip in a substitute. I found a motel, set up spells so no one would see it except you three or one of the gang from LA or Sunnydale. Didn’t want just anyone finding...”

Xander stopped and Bobby handed him a glass of water only to have to rescue it as Xander’s hands were shaking too much to hold it steady. He drank greedily for a few seconds before pushing it away.

“Once it was all done all I could do was wait. I remember the clock hitting midnight then growling and pain. Everything went black then....it was white and I was facing the Hyena and soldier boy. Something weird was happening and it hurt almost more than the hounds. Nothing much after that, just flashes of darkness, heat and blood. Bits and pieces of you three and a blond girl? Didn’t like her. She smelt like lust towards our mate.” Xander fell silent and Bobby gave him another hard hug.

“I’m just glad you’re back. Gave me a heart attack when you crawled out of your grave though.”

“Sorry....how? How did I come back? Shouldn’t I be hurt or something?”

“Willow did a spell. Buffy...Buffy died a few months ago stopping a Hell god and Willow tried to bring her back. Apparently your soul hitchhiked onto the spell, it fully restored your body.” Bobby explained and Xander nodded. Then he shook his head.
“Xander?”

“Sorry. It’s hard to focus.” Xander admitted quietly and Bobby sighed.

“Not that surprising. The hyena’s been in control since you got back and you need to get used to being the one in the driver’s seat again. Take your time.” Bobby patted his shoulder and then stood up.
“Boys are outside if you want to?” Xander nodded and Bobby left the room. A few seconds later Sam and Dean walked in and Xander smiled.

“Hey.” He whispered.

“You stupid idiot.” Dean choked and actually hugged a rather startled Xander.
“Don’t you ever do something like that again, hear me?” The eldest Winchester demanded and Xander automatically nodded. Now rather nervous Xander looked shyly up at Sam who just sat beside him and pulled him into a tight hug.

“I never want to bury you again Xander. Please.” Sam begged and Xander slowly wrapped his arms around Sam, returning the hug. Xander relaxed fully as he recognised Sam’s scent instinctively.

------------------------
Xander grinned as he watched Sam and Dean sparing in Bobby’s yard. He’d finally convinced his uncle he wasn’t going to suddenly collapse or start screaming if he was allowed out of bed and it was nice to be outside. He was glad they had all bought his lie that had had only remembered ‘flashes’ of his time in Hell. He didn’t blame Angel for coming back a bit...odd at first.

He just considered himself lucky that he had the hyena to act as a buffer while they’d been down there. After they had torn apart the first five demons most had left them alone. He had the feeling the ones that hadn’t were those that followed Lilith. He may not have been with it but he still remembered Ruby’s little visit and warning.

Lilith’s followers had been very insistent in trying to corral them over to an area all three aspects of his soul had screamed was dangerous. The demon in charge of that section had made even the hyena wary. Instead they had fought free and hidden far away in an almost forgotten corner, killing any who dared approach.

Then had come the rush of searching power, magic that had been oh so familiar. They hadn’t known what the red witch was searching for but in her spell, backed by something that could only have been one of the old gods. They hadn’t cared as they had grabbed onto the magic and refused to let go. He could vaguely remember waking in a cold, dark space and the fight for the surface.

Xander shuddered and pushed those memories away. He smiled slightly as he remembered Willow babbling in his ear over the phone even if he was mad at the kind of powers she was dabbling in. Death magic was not something a white witch should be touching and yet she raised Buffy. He snorted at that, she had ripped Buffy from Heaven and in the process given him a way out of hell. At least nothing else had tagged along for the ride out of Hell, of that he was positive.

There had simply been quiet breathing on both sides when Buffy had been handed the phone, each knowing what had happened to the other. At least until he’d told her he was happy for her and then Buffy had cried because he was glad she had been in Heaven and not in Hell with him.

Buffy having a younger sister who knew him but he had no memories of was kind of creepy though. Since he’d been dead at the time the spell had missed him when handing out memories of Dawn. Giles had been sincere when he’d said he was happy that Xander was back and that made him happy. Once Giles had been almost a father figure and now he was simply a friend. Xander still cared for the Scoobies but he was even more separate from them now than he had been when he’d returned to help with ADAM. They may fight the same fight just on different fronts but they were worlds apart and that was the way it would stay.

Sam was a whole other problem. Every time he saw him Xander found himself fighting the need to claim him and it was getting very frustrating. Sam had been very tactile with him since his return but that didn’t mean he would appreciate Xander acting on any of his urges. But it wasn’t just the primal part of him that wanted Sam, he was in love with the older male and he could no longer deny it. But the last thing he wanted was for Sam to look at him in disgust.

TBC....