Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Disclaimer: Not mine.
So…the majority of you seem not to want DeanJo, poor Dean. But since this is my story…people seem to think that if he’s with Jo this will become all about that but the most important thing in this is the brotherly relationship and their fight to survive.

Chapter 14

Dean made his way through the building, EMF out and his senses straining for any sign of the spirit. He didn’t like splitting up but against a ghost Sam actually stood a better chance in a fight with his powers than he did. Dean scrunched his nose up as he smelt something rather bad and he pushed through the small space faster, suddenly picking up the scent of the girl as well. He turned the corner to find her trapped in a narrow space, the spirit grabbing her. Terrified blue eyes met his and Dean pushed closer, reaching his hand out to her. “Take my hand!” Dean yelled and she reached out to him.

“I can’t.” her fingers brushed his and then she screamed and was gone.

“NO!!!” Dean yelled though it came out more of a howl as his eyes bled gold.

“Dean?” He heard Sam call from outside the wall and Dean just smashed through it, snarling. Sam held his hands up. “Whoa! Dean calm down.” Sam urged, speaking calmly and softly to try and calm the enraged werewolf. Dean growled but began taking deep breathes. “What happened?”

“He got her, we have to save her.”

“We will Dean, come on. I found nothing new. Lets’ get back to the room and see what Pastor Jim has found, alright?”

“Yeah.” Dean looked back at the wall and then headed for the car. Back at the motel Dean paced while Sam stayed outside to talk to Jim who had been doing a more in-depth search on the building for them.

``````````````````````
Jo woke in a small, dark place, lying on her back. She still had her flashlight; she shined it around to reveal a wooden wall a few inches above her face with long scratches gouged in it. She sobbed with a hand over her face, then collected herself. Jo took a deep breath and forced herself to keep looking around. Maybe running off to hunt hadn’t been such a good idea after all. To her right was another wood panel with a slit; looking through she could see a larger, round chamber with similar compartments to the one she's in around it. Jo swallowed as she heard a noise. “Hello?”

“Is - is anybody there?” A scared voice answered and Jo relaxed a little.

“Your name's Teresa?”

“Yes.” Came the answer, the girls voice surer.

“This won't make you feel better, but I'm here to rescue you.”

“Oh god. He's out there, he's gonna kill us!”

“No, he won't. We're getting out.” Jo tried to assure her even though she didn’t see how they would manage that. Quiet footsteps fell nearby: the spirit approaching.

“Oh god, it's him!”

“Shh! Just be quiet!” Jo hissed and it went silent. Jo forced herself to breath slow and steady, panicking would not help. She screamed as a creepy looking hand burst into her prison and grabbed her head, ripping a chunk of her hair out.

````````````
“There’s nothing!” Dean growled as Sam walked in and picked up a photo.

“Well, maybe we're looking in the wrong place.”

“What do you mean?”

“Check this out.” Sam held the photo out to Dean who frowned.

“An empty field?”

“It's where this building was built. Take a look at the one next door. The windows.” Sam pointed out.

“Bars….we're next door to a prison?”

“Moyamensing prison according to Pastor Jim. Built in 1835, torn down in 1963. And get this. They used to execute people by hanging them in the empty field next door.”

“Well, then, we need a list. All the people executed there.”

“Pastor Jim is sending.” Sam assured him, going to his laptop. “A hundred fifty seven names?” he groaned when the list arrived.

“We've gotta narrow that down.”

“Yeah.”

“Or else we're gonna be digging up a hell of a lot of stiffs.” Dean growled and Sam tossed him some beef jerky to chew on. He scrolled down to the name HERMAN WEBSTER MUDGETT and clicked on it, frowning. “Herman Webster Mudgett? Wasn't that H. H. Holmes' real name?”

“You've gotta be kiddin' me.” Dean’s eyes widened in shock. “Yep. Holmes was executed at Moyamensing, May 7, 1896.”

“H. H. Holmes himself. Come on, I mean, what are the odds?” Sam quickly looked him up as a refresher on the details. “The term "multi-murderer." They coined it to describe Holmes. He was America's first serial killer, before anybody knew what a serial killer was.” Sam read.

“Yeah, he confessed to twenty seven murders, but some put the death toll at over a hundred.” And his victim flavour of choice? Pretty petite blondes. He, uh, he used chloroform to kill 'em.” Dean frowned. “Which is what I smelled in the hallway last night. At his place, cops found human remains, bone fragments, and long locks of bloody blonde hair.”

“His body is buried in town, but it's encased in a couple tons of concrete so no easy salt and burn.” Sam grumbled.

“What? Why?” Dean frowned, he hadn’t known that bit.

“The story goes that he didn't want anybody mutilating his corpse. 'Cause, you know, that's what he used to do. You know somethin'. We might have an even bigger problem than that.”

“How does this get bigger?” Dean demanded.

“Holmes built an apartment building in Chicago. He called it the Murder Castle. The whole place was a death factory, they had, uh, trap doors, acid vats, quick line pits... he built these secret chambers inside the walls. He'd lock his victims in, keep them alive for days. Some he'd suffocate, others he'd let starve to death.”

“So these last two could still be alive.” Dean breathed, feeling a bit of hope that they could at least save some of his victims. Sam nodded in agreement.

``````````
Jo kicked steadily and furiously on the wall of her wooden cell. Eventually she gave up and dropped back in exhaustion. She tensed as she heard footsteps approaching and turned to look out the small opening to see a scraggly-bearded mouth. “You're so pretty. So beautiful.” Holmes told her and Jo glared.

“Go to hell!” She screamed as he reached his creepy hand through the opening and fondled her. She turned away and groaned in disgust and horror. Suddenly she turned, stabbing into the hand with her knife. The spirit vanished, screaming. “How do you like that? Pure iron, you creepy-ass son of a bitch!” She yelled. She held her knife ready as she panted for air, scared but also exhilarated at having gotten the spirit.

“Is he gone?”

“I don't know.” Jo answered warily.

Jo gasped as he grabbed her arm, pulling her back as he clamped a hand over her mouth. “Shhh.” She struggled, trying to scream but couldn’t with his hand there.

“Hey!” Dean yelled and then fired into Holmes’ chest, sending him flying as he vanished due to the salt. “Hello? Where are you?” Dean called out and Jo’s eyes widened as she recognised the voice from the apartment building.

“I'm here!” She yelled. Dean grabbed an iron bar and began trying to pry open her prison while Sam searched the others, freeing Teresa.

“We're gonna get you out of here, all right?” Dean told Jo as he finally got the door open and reached in to help her out. “You all right?”

“Been better. Let's get the hell out of here before he comes back.” Jo stumbled and Dean caught her.

“Take it easy, I’ve got you. Sam, you got her?”

“Yeah, let’s get them out of here.” Sam answered as he helped Teresa into the tunnels. Dean kept an arm around Jo’s waist, helping her along.

“How did you find us?” She asked.

“Long story.” Dean answered, gun at the ready.

Jo looked at his gun and then her eyes widened. “Hunters?” She asked and Dean blinked in surprise but nodded.

“How do you know?”

“Why do you think I was here?” Jo asked and Dean tensed slightly.

“You’re a hunter?” He asked, surprised and she glared at him.

“Just cause I’m a girl….”

“What? No, it’s not that. Girls can hunt. You just don’t seem the type I guess.” Dean fumbled.

“The type?” She asked and Dean shrugged before giving her a boost up out of the manhole, Sam grabbing her hands to pull her up. Dean jumped and grabbed the edge and Sam yanked him the rest of the way, with her being a hunter they had to be careful. “I’m Jo.”

“Dean, this is my brother Sam.”

“Hi.” Sam smiled at her as he helped Teresa sit down, the girl practically clinging to him out of fear. Jo nodded at Sam and then looked between the two hunters, something tugging at her memory. Sam called an ambulance for Teresa and as soon as it was close the three hunters vanished. “We still have to deal with Holmes.” Sam commented as they walked down the street and Dean frowned before looking down at Jo.

“How do you feel about being bait?”

“To get this creep, I’ll do it.”

```````
Jo grinned as she walked beside Dean, looking over at the taller brother. “I can’t believe you ripped off a cement truck.”

Sam shrugged. “All that salt plus the cement Holmes is never getting out of there.”

“You guys are….” Jo shook her head. “How come I’ve never seen you at the Roadhouse?”

“Roadhouse?” Dean asked curiously.

“Yeah, my Mom runs it. It’s a place for hunters.” She explained, not noticing the way they both stiffened slightly. “So how long have you two been hunting?”

“A long time.” Dean answered and Jo grinned.

“Cool, this was my first hunt; Mom wasn’t too keen on my starting but…”

“You did good.” Dean told her and Jo smiled.

“Thanks.” It was driving her nuts but she couldn’t figure out why something about these two seemed familiar somehow. “Well this is me.” She told them as they stopped by her car. “It was nice meeting you two and thanks for the save.”

“No problem.” Dean smiled, his wolf growling over her leaving much to his annoyance.

Jo hesitated but then grabbed a scrap of paper and wrote her number down before handing it to Dean. “Here.” Dean blinked in surprise and glanced at Sam who shrugged, they could always change their numbers if something went wrong. Dean wrote his own down and handed it to her, getting a smile from Jo. “So you around.” She got in and drove off.

TBC….