Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup
[Reviews - 1]
Printer
Table of Contents
- Text Size +


Story Notes:

A/N: Plot idea borrowed with permission from Youko Rayah, which appeared as the story Help Thyself. This work is a collaboration between Honor and Zero-metallix.

Disclaimed: Neither of us owns Final Fantasy or Neruto

Most of the pairings are Het, with minor bakground characters or past mentions of slash. Non-explicit anything though.

/italics/ indicates thoughts. Final Fantasy names are in the Western format, Naruto names in the Japanese format.

Author's Chapter Notes:
Most of the Japanese is self-evident, but just in case - bunshin is clone(s), henge is transformation, Kyuubi no Youko is Demon Fox with Nine Tails, jutsu is technique, kawarimi (no jutsu) is replacing yourself with a log,rabbit, chair, other person etc and teleporting to a safe spot such as where they had been standing.

360 years before.

Hyuuga Hitomi gazed across the valley she was supposed to be scouting in preparation for the arrival of the rest of the nomadic clan. The sky brightened before her, and as she turned in the direction of the light, a tremendous sound shook the air, and the ground trembled. Hitomi's sharp stare caught the smouldering trees around a newly formed clearing.

/A falling star,/ she rationalised /Nothing to worry about./ But something drew her closer.

***

Within the crater, something stirred. Piggybacked on the meteor came a gestalt entity, a hive mind, a body comprised of countless viral cells, enabling adaptation, absorption, infection, transformation. A swirling mass of an alien entity. Sensing an approaching presence, the entity expressed a cloud of its own cells, intent on infecting and analysing.

***

By the time Hitomi arrived, unaware that she had inhaled anything other than smoke, the entity had read her, and acted upon the information. As she entered the clearing, a man turned towards her, dark of hair and eye. She took a defensive stance, and demanded harshly,

“Identify yourself!”

The entity reached out, and soothed the suspicion in her mind. Entranced, she never noticed the cold glint to his eyes, or the hint of a cruel smirk lingering around his mouth.

“I... am Venat.”


Present day

It was a peaceful day in the village of Konohagakure. In an alternate Konoha, the peace would have been disturbed by the resident prankster, but in this Konoha, no such being existed. Instead the person that might have become a prankster was paying attention in class. This didn't stop him from being bored, however.

/Mah, Iruka-sensei is so boring! How can he turn the story of the Valley of the End into something so dull. You explained it so much better, 'nii-san./ Naruto whined mentally, even as he took notes, notes that he was doodling on.

/Thank you so much,/ muttered Cloud dryly, /But it won't kill you to review./

Neither Naruto nor Cloud himself was sure how Cloud Strife had come to be sharing the mind of Uzumaki Naruto, and though Cloud was sure he'd glimpsed Aerith out of the corner of their shared eye, she wasn't coming forward with answers either.

All Naruto knew was that, waking up in the hospital in the aftermath of the Uchiha massacre, he had started hearing voices. Voices that kept arguing. One of them, Cloud had been somewhat willing to answer questions, but the other refused to answer. A brief description from Cloud, and Naruto had dubbed Voice#2 as “Fuzzy”.

Iruka had finished lecturing during Naruto's reminiscing.

“- And remember, you must reference at least one historic battle during your written Genin exams, so be sure to choose one you know well. Shall we move on to practical review?”

Naruto had been dreading this. Sure, his taijutsu (/hand-to-hand/ Cloud muttered) wasn't too bad, and his aim was pretty good, even if his throwing technique needed practice. His kawarimi was as good as that of any genin, and his henge was good enough if he concentrated, (Naruto ignored Cloud's advice to concentrate more often) but frankly, his bunshin sucked.

***

“I'm sorry, Naruto, but... You fail.” Iruka looked sympathetic as Naruto's face fell.

“Surely, Iruka we could give him a pass. He did produce five clones, even if only one of them was able to stand (said clone was leaning against the original, barely conscious) and he is only a few marks away from a pass.” Mizuki said suavely.

Naruto's hopes rose and he quickly offered to perform the henge or kawarimi, but they were dashed when Iruka-sensei shook his head.

“Everyone else produced three viable clones. I can't let him pass.”

***

Naruto psyched himself up, and tried hard to ignore Cloud.

/Naruto, this is a really bad idea. Every time I've broken into a building, things have gone wrong/

Cloud tried really hard not to remember the deaths that had resulted from him breaking into, or indeed out of, buildings.

/Seriously, you haven't even got a plan./ Cloud remembered really regretting agreeing to Barret's “Let's just bust on in!” plan way back when.

Naruto gritted his teeth and climbed up and in through the window. He was making his way across the darkened room when the lights turned on.

“Naruto, what are you doing in my house at this hour?” Naruto turned to face the Hokage.

/No choice, better use it./ Naruto's hands flew into the henge seal.

/Naruto, not that!/ Cloud cringed. Even though it had been his idea in the first place, though for very different reasons and with a different goal in mind, the Oiroke no jutsu made him feel exposed and dirty every time Naruto used it.

***

“...I found you...Hey!” Iruka caught his breath. “You're all beaten up, what were you doing?”

“Never mind that, hey hey?!” (Cloud cringed, that was far too much like Palmer for his peace of mind.) “I'm going to try an incredible skill. If I do it, let me graduate! He said that if I showed you this skill, I'd definitely graduate!”

Naruto didn't notice the shock on Iruka-sensei's face, but Cloud noticed and became suspicious.

/Damn it, a trap! I should have known....He's there!/ Naruto felt himself be pushed aside as Iruka-sensei took the kunai meant for him.

Following Iruka's orders, Naruto took the forbidden scroll and ran through the forest, as Iruka distracted Mizuki with a clever use of henge.

The chase ended, with a wounded Iruka propping himself up against a tree while Mizuki laughed, balanced on a branch, sneering down at him.

“Come out Naruto, you really ought to hear the truth before you die.” Mizuki called.

Naruto shivered in his hiding place behind a nearby tree, in his panicked state he was ignoring Cloud's attempts to contact him. /Damn it, Naruto, listen to me! Damn, this is just like that memory of Nibelheim.../

“Haven't you ever wondered, why does everyone hate you?” Mizuki sneered “You know about the Kyuubi no Youko, that attacked the village 12 years ago.”

“Ever since that day, there has been a rule that no one may tell you, or speak of.” Mizuki grinned maniacally, dropping to the ground. “The truth is, Naruto, that you are the Kyuubi!”

“You are responsible for the death and destruction that almost wiped out our village. The Fourth Hokage gave his life to seal you away, and now, I'm going to finish the job!” Mizuki laughed arrogantly.

“No I'm not. Fuzzy is like, 100 times bigger than me, and he has terrible bad breath.” Naruto's simple statement threw Mizuki and shattered the tension that had filled the clearing.

Iruka burst out laughing, mostly in sheer disbelief, and Mizuki became enraged. He flung a brace of kunai at Iruka.

“Iruka, I said I would take care of you later, but now I'm changing my mind. Hurry up and die!”

Mizuki charged towards Iruka, but was interrupted when Naruto's knee collided with his face, knocking Mizuki backwards.

“If you touch Iruka-sensei again, I'll KILL YOU!” Naruto stood in front of Iruka, glaring at Mizuki.

“No Naruto! Run away!” Iruka shouted at his student.

“Pathetic, I'll kill you in one shot!”

For his part, Cloud was remembering the feeling of facing down Sephiroth for the first time as a Shinra regular while his friends lay injured nearby.

“Try it!” Naruto brought his hands together in a cross seal and with a shout filled the clearing with solid clones.

Mizuki looked around in horror, Iruka in awe and Cloud...He was trying not to look at all the orange. /We got to get a new outfit. Maybe leather./

“Well? I thought you were going to kill me?” the Naruto clones taunted the older shinobi before jumping on him in a large one sided free-for-all that left the traitor in a broken heap on the forest floor.

Naruto stood over the beaten man scratching the back of his head. “I think I went a little too far...” Catching Iruka's eye, Naruto looked away, his expression darkening.

“Ne..Iruka-sensei...do you hate me?” It was a simple question, but one to which he dreaded the answer.

Iruka sighed before beckoning Naruto over “Come here, there's something I want to give you and that you need to hear. Close your eyes.”

He paused for a moment “Naruto you are not the demon fox, you are a member of the hidden leave and I'm proud that you are one of my students” As Iruka spoke, Naruto felt a tugging on his head.

“OK, open your eyes. Congratulations on graduating”

After a lot of explaining to the Hokage, and confirmation of Naruto's graduation, Iruka treated Naruto to breakfast, which was not ramen, much to Naruto's dismay and Cloud's delight. Then they both headed off to rest and clean up. After the weekend the teams would be assigned.

TBC