Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Dean heard Sam whimpering on the cot next to his so he got up and Sat on the edge, gently rubbing Sam’s back to soothe him. He smiled when instead of waking in a panic Sam settled into a deeper sleep, leaning into his touch.

“You’re okay Sam; I’m going to look after you.” Dean promised softly before going back to his own cot. He kept one hand on his gun under the pillow as he settled back in to sleep. He trusted Ellen; he didn’t trust everyone who came to the Roadhouse. They’d leave for home in the morning but he hadn’t wanted to make Sam travel after the trauma of being chipped. When Sam whimpered and moaned again Dean got up and pushed his cot against Sam’s, laying down and tugging Sam into his arms, holding him gently and soothing him. They spent the rest of the night like that and Dean was happy that it didn’t wake Sam.

When Ellen peered in at them the next morning she couldn’t help smiling at the sight they made. Dean needed someone to look after, a purpose in life other than hunting and Sam desperately needed someone to protect and care for him. She just hoped that one day Sam could get passed the slave mentality and begin to really trust Dean.

Sam woke to the feel of arms around him but they weren’t restraining him, just holding him gently. He laid still, trying not to panic as he went over what had happened. He moved a hand to the back of his neck as he remembered the feeling of the injector against his skin, the weird man who’d done it and the way his Master had held him, comforting him through the pain. But Master had been the reason for the pain, he’d wanted Sam chipped. But a chip….permanent ownership and even a little more freedom. With the chip he could be left alone when Master hunted, could even be sent out on errands like grocery shopping without worrying about being picked up and taken back to the pens. He hadn’t had that sort of freedom since he was a child. He felt the arms around him tighten briefly as his Master woke and then the hunter moved to sit up.

“How do you feel?” Dean whispered as he stared at Sam.

“Fine Master.” Sam answered softly and Dean smiled.

“You’re sure? No neck pain or anything?”

“No Master.”

“That’s good. Sorry about this but you were having nightmares or something, wouldn’t settle but you slept better when I did this.” Dean explained gently.
“Come on, Ellen’ll have breakfast ready by now.” Dean said, disentangling himself from Sam and getting up. He held a hand out to Sam who stared nervously before accepting it. Dean pulled him up, giving him his bag before showing him where to clean up. When they emerged into the kitchen Ellen was bustling around, setting the table with Jo as a few other hunters sat down to eat. Dean gently pushed Sam down onto a chair, his glare silencing any of the hunters who looked like they might protest, before sitting beside Sam. Sam refused to start eating until everyone else did and Dean didn’t push it.

“Freak should eat on the floor where it belongs.” One of the other men muttered and Sam flinched, starting to slide of the chair but Dean restrained him gently.

“Don’t call him a freak. He’s got as much right to sit here as you do.” Dean snapped back, feeling Sam glancing at him in surprise.

“Dean’s right, Sam is as much a guest here as you are Tom so shut it.” Ellen backed him up, smiling at Sam who stared at his plate. Dean nudged him gently and Sam mechanically began to eat again. Dean shrugged at the concerned look Ellen and Jo gave Sam, there wasn’t really anything he could do at the moment. Once Sam was done Dean stood, grabbing their plates and putting them in the sink, Sam getting to his feet quickly as well.

“Thanks Ellen, we should hit the road.” Dean said and she hugged him.

“Of course, don’t be a stranger Dean. It was nice meeting you Sam.” She called as Dean led Sam back out to the car. Once they were in Dean started the engine and headed for home.

“You can nap if you want or turn the radio on; we’ve got a long drive ahead of us.” Dean told him and Sam curled up in his seat, staring out the window, eyes going blank as he retreated. Dean sighed at the sight but kept driving.

````````````````````````````````````````````````````
“We’re home Sam.” Dean called gently and Sam blinked, looking around to find Dean in his assigned parking space. Dean got out and grabbed the bags, Sam following him inside to the apartment. As they reached the door Dean frowned and handed Sam the bags, pulling his gun.
“Stay here.” He whispered and Sam nodded. Dean opened the door and entered, gun first only to freeze and then sigh.
“It’s okay Sam, come in.” He called, putting his gun away, glaring at their ‘guest’. Sam paused when he saw the other man.

“Master?” Sam called nervously.

“It’s okay Sam. Why don’t you go unpack your bag and I’ll start dinner.” Dean told him, taking his own bag so that Sam wouldn’t try to be helpful and unpack for him. Sam edged past the older man and then moved rather quickly to his bedroom.
“So Dad what brings you here?” Dean asked, almost demanded really, as he headed into the kitchen to start on dinner.

“You’re my son Dean; I don’t need a reason to visit.” John answered and Dean snorted.

“Yeah right. I haven’t seen you in what, six months? Then you have the gall to send me that payment slip……….right now you’re not exactly my favourite person.” Dean snapped.

“You seem to be handling the slave fine though.” John answered and Dena spun to face him, glaring so hard John actually stepped back.

“His NAME is Sam, use it! Damn it Dad he’s just a kid and he thought……he thought I was gonna beat him or rape him or something! What they do to people just cause they have ‘powers’……I got him chipped, if anything happens to me he’ll be with people who’ll look after him and you’re not on the list.” Dean growled out.

“He’s a psychic Dean! Dangerous!” John spat and Dean rolled his eyes.

“Right mind splitting visions….real dangerous. Get out.” Dean stated and John blinked.

“What?”

“Until you can see Sam as a person I don’t want you here.” Dean answered, unaware that Sam was in the hall, listening in shock.

“Dean….”

“I mean it Dad, go.” Dean stated and John left in shock at Dean’s reaction. Dean just sighed and leant against the counter, rubbing at his face with his hands. He nearly jumped when he felt a hesitant hand on his arm. He looked up and smiled tiredly at Sam.
“You heard that huh?” He asked and Sam nodded.
“M’sorry about him Sam. Dad just…..he just doesn’t understand.” Dean mumbled and then stood in shock as Sam hesitantly wrapped his arms around Dean’s waist. Sure Sam was shaking uncontrollably as he did it but the point was he did it willingly and without being told too. Dean carefully returned the hug, leaning his head against Sam’s shoulder. He gently rubbed Sam’s back and he gradually stopped shaking as nothing bad happened.
“Thanks Sammy. Just don’t listen to anything Dad or anyone else says. You’re not a freak or dangerous or anything like that. You’re a person, no matter what anyone says.” Dean murmured softly. Sam glanced at him and Dean smiled softly. Sam hesitantly smiled back and Dean hugged him tighter for a second before letting go.
“All unpacked?”

“Yes Master.” Sam answered as he stepped back.

“Sam……..I know it’ll be hard but I….well being called Master all the time…..that is……” Sam just stared at him and Dean shook his head.
“Could you try to call me Dean? At least some of the time? I swear to you, I’ll never punish you for it. I know in public you have to call me….that, but when it’s just us….” Dean trailed off and Sam stared at the ground, absently chewing his lip. Call his Master by his name? That was unheard of! But he was nothing like any Master Sam had ever had or even heard of before…..and he’d kept every promise he’d made so far.

“Yes….Dean.” The name was a whisper and Sam tenses, waiting for the blow but it never came. He glanced up to find his Ma…..Dean grinning happily at him.

“Thanks Sam. Dinners nearly ready, want to watch a movie after?” He offered and Sam nodded, getting another grin from Dean.

TBC….