Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Disclaimer: Not mine.

Chapter 6

Sam bolted awake, chest heaving as he struggled to breath. He huddled on the bed, eyes darting around the room as he searched for threats. He whimpered softly, petrified and wanting comfort. That need drove him off his bed and into the hallway. He stoped in his Master’s doorway, unable to bring himself to actually go in. He stood there, shaky and staring at his Master’s sleeping form until he moved, sitting up to stare in Sam’s direction.

“Sam? Why are you up? Everything okay?” His Master asked, running a hand through his hair. Sam wrapped his arms around his chest and ducked his head, unable to stop shaking. He was so out of it he didn’t even notice his Master’s approach until he was right in front of him. A gentle hand rested on his shoulder and Sam whimpered.
“Shit Sam, you’re freezing.” His Master murmured, moving his hands over Sam’s arms, trying to warm him up.
“Come on kiddo, let’s get you back to bed.” That made Sam whimper fearfully.
“Sam? You’re really upset huh? Come on, you can crawl in with me.” His Master tugged him and Sam stumbled, letting himself be led.

Dean was scared, Sam was freezing cold and barely responsive, and Dean didn’t know what was wrong. He pulled the blankets back and gently lowered Sam into the bed before getting in beside him. Sam shivered and whimpered beside him before rolling closer hesitantly. Dean gently reached out a hand and pulled him closer, smiling when Sam seemed to melt into him, trying to get closer to get more heat. Dean held him close, rubbing at any exposed skin he could find to help Sam warm up. Sam’s teeth were chattering as he cuddled in, tears trailing down his cheeks.

“Shh, it’s gonna be okay Sam, I’ve got you. Just try to sleep.” Dean whispered, running his fingers through Sam’s hair. He held Sam as the kid gradually began to calm, the shakes lessening.
“That’s it, I’m here, you’re safe.” Dean told him.

“De…an?” Sam slurred and Dean kissed the back of his neck, right over where the chip was.

“Yeah Sammy, I’m here.” He answered.

“Please.” He whimpered, clinging weakly to Dean’s arm.

“Please what Sam?”

“Don’t leave me.” Sam choked out and Dean closed his eyes.

“I’m here Sam, just sleep. I’ve got you; no one’s going to hurt you.” Dean soothed over and over until he felt Sam go lax in sleep. He stayed up the rest of the night, holding Sam close even after he’d warmed up.

Sam woke up to a pounding head and arms wrapped around him. Still confused he started to struggle and the arms released him, letting him scramble away. He blinked, trying to work out what was happening and then he heard the soft, familiar voice.

“Easy Sam, it’s okay. Just calm down.” Dean whispered and Sam slowly focused on him before looking around and freezing as he found himself in the Master bedroom. He shivered in fear, not remembering how he’d ended up there. Had his Master……..he stared at the floor, trembling in fear.
“Sam no, it’s okay. Don’t you remember? You had a nightmare or something, came to my door. You were freezing and shaking, didn’t want to be alone so I let you sleep in here. Took a while for you to warm up, you had me really worried. I promise Sam, nothing else happened.” Dean assured him, speaking gently so as not to spook him further. Sam glanced up at him shakily and Dean smiled gently at him.

“Came here?” Sam asked hesitantly and Dean nodded.
“Sorry Master.” He whispered, staring at the floor. Dean moved closer, gently tipping Sam’s head up. Sam shook slightly and Dean gently hugged him.

“There’s nothing to be sorry for Sam. I want you to come to me if you need me, okay? No matter what, even if I’m sleeping.” Dean assured him softly.
“Understand? I protect you Sam, even from nightmares.” Dean promised and Sam nodded slowly.
“Okay so go grab a shower and I’ll start breakfast. We’ll just have a nice, relaxing day today.” Dean told him and Sam slipped out of the room to go get clothes and hit the shower. Dean sighed as he watched him go, hoping that hadn’t set back all the progress they’d made since Sam had gotten his chip.

````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Dean rolled out of bed as he heard the whimpering coming from Sam’s room, yawning as he headed for it. He didn’t know what to do, five nights in a row was not good. Thankfully no hunts had come up because they were both too tired to be safe. He followed the routine of crawling in beside Sam and pulling him into his arms, whispering soothing words until Sam slipped back into a deeper sleep. Dean made sure he was really asleep again before letting himself drift off.

Sam woke up and then closed his eyes, ashamed to find that once again his Master had ended up being woken by his nightmares. He felt a few tears leak out and raised a hand to wipe them away; hating showing the weakness and glad his Master was still asleep.

“It’s okay Sammy.” Dean murmured sleepily, feeling Sam move in his arms.
“Feeling okay?”

“Yes Master.” Sam answered quietly.

“You wanna talk about it?” Dean offered and Sam tensed.
“It’s okay, only if you want to but it might help.” Sam shook his head and Dean sighed.
“Alright. I won’t make you talk about it Sam.” Dean promised him, squeezing gently before letting go to sit up and stretch.
“Come on, breakfast time. Pancakes or waffles?” He offered and Sam hesitated so he simply waited and finally Sam glanced up at him.

“Pancakes?” Sam offered and Dean grinned.

“Pancakes it is.” Dean told him, reaching out slowly and then ruffling Sam’s sleep mussed hair. Sam juts stared at him on shock and Dean moved his hand to Sam’s arm, tugging him up gently.
“Grab a shower and I’ll start them.” Dean told him, gently nudging him towards the bathroom even as he headed for the kitchen. He grimaced but picked up speed when he heard the phone ringing.
“Yeah?”

‘Dean, got a hunt for you.’ Dean grimaced at the sound of his Dad’s voice.

“Told you I don’t want to hear or see from you.” Dean stated coldly and hung up. He looked up to see Sam in the hallway, staring at him with wide eyes.
“It’s okay Sammy, go have your shower.” Dean managed a tired smile for him and was surprised when Sam disobeyed, instead moving hesitantly closer.
“Sam?” Dean questioned and Sam licked his lips nervously.

“Keep seeing it, all the time.” Sam mumbled and Dean frowned in confusion.

“Seeing what kiddo?” He asked gently, holding out a hand. Sam hesitated but then let Dean pull him into a loose hug.

“Him……the werewolf.” Sam whispered and Dean closed his eyes, realising why Sam couldn’t sleep the night through. He tightened the hug, cradling Sam to him.

“It’s okay Sam, it’ll be okay. You did what you had to, to protect yourself and everyone else there. It’s alright to feel bad for killing him but you can’t let it destroy you.” Dean whispered and Sam looked at him, making Dean smile slightly.
“You’ll be okay Sam, I’ll help you.” Dean promised and Sam finally relaxed, sagging in Dean’s arms. Dean just stood there, willing to hold him for as long as Sam needed him to, happy the kid finally seemed to be starting to trust him.

TBC…