Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Disclaimer: Not mine.

Chapter 3

Sam stood in the doorway and smiled as he watched Dean play with Mary, the baby making little happy noises and he felt sad. Dean should be the one with a baby, not him. Dean would make such a wonderful father. Sam was always scared, scared he’d hurt her or do the wrong thing but Dean was confident and happy when he was with Mary. Was that what he’d been like when Sam was a baby? He went to back out but Dean looked over at him and just stared so Sam walked into the nursery, taking his daughter when Dean held her out,

“Hey Mary, having fun with Uncle Dean?” He asked and the baby blew bubbles at him. Sam laughed and tickled her tummy before settling her into the crook of his arm. Dean smiled and pushed him towards the rocker Jess had bought in her fourth month.

“I think she’s got the Winchester chin.” Dean commented and Sam nodded as he accepted the offered bottle.
“You’re a natural Sammy.” Dean praised but Sam shook his head.

“You’re the natural Dean; I’m always so scared I’m doing something wrong.” Sam admitted and Dean squeezed his shoulder in comfort.

“Well you hide it really well. It’s obvious she loves her Daddy.” Dean told him and Sam smiled at him.

“Has Dad called?” Sam asked as he shifted her around to burp her.

“Yeah, just before you got home.” Dean admitted.

“Dean?”

“It’s bigger than Caleb thought. Dad asked me to come help.” Dean admitted and Sam nodded. The idea of Dean leaving scared him but people were dying, he couldn’t be that selfish.

“Then you need to go Dean. Make sure you both come home to us in one piece.” Sam told him and Dean stared at him.
“It’s just a few days right? We’ll be okay. I haven’t got any tests coming up or anything. I can listen to my lectures online for a couple of days. My lecturers know this can happen.” Sam explained and Dean smiled at him.

“Okay. I’ll start packing.” Dean answered, leaning down to kiss Mary goodbye. Sam carried Mary out to the Impala and they waved goodbye as Dean drove away.

“Just me and you for a few days baby girl.” Sam whispered as he walked back into the apartment. He settled Mary into her chair and started getting dinner ready, happy that Jess had made sure he knew how to cook at least the basics.

````````````````````````````````````````
Sam frowned as he heard someone pounding on the door. He looked through the peephole only to stare in shock as he saw Natalie Moore on the other side.

“I know you’re in there Winchester, I want my granddaughter!” She yelled and Sam put the chain on before grabbing the phone and calling the number his lawyer had left him.

“Mr. Matthews, its Sam Winchester. My mother-in-law’s at the door trying to force her way in.” Sam explained quickly, listening to what the man said.
“Okay.” He answered, going to grab Mary’s bag and put some extra things in it. He waited by the back window in case he had to get Mary out fast while Mr. Matthews called the police for him.

“Mr. Winchester? Police!” A male voice eventually called and Sam went back to the front door to look through the peephole again, seeing the badge so he opened it but left the chain on.
“Are you alright in there?”

“Yes officer. Did you get her?”

“Yeah, my partner’s putting her into the car. Could you tell em what’s going on?” The officer asked and Sam let him inside.

“She’s technically my mother-in-law. Hang on.” Sam said, picking Mary up as she began to fuss and the officer smiled.

“Cute kid.”

“Thanks, this is Mary. Jessica, her mother, was Natalie’s daughter. We were engaged, left town for break. Jess was seven months pregnant at the time. There was an accident, a van his us on her side. Jess told the doctors to save the baby no matter what. They did an emergency c-section and got Mary out but Jess…..she was dying. My brother found the hospital chaplain and he married us, Jess’ last wish. Mary was in the NICU and they air lifted her to the Lucile Packard Children's Hospital after a month. Jess’ funeral was held a few days later. That’s when the Moore’s first started causing problems. They said they were going to take Mary from me, they said it was my fault Jess died. A couple of weeks after Mary was released I got the papers saying they were trying to take custody. The judge ruled in my favour, said the whole case was a waist of time. Haven’t heard or seen from them since. The only time they’ve seen Mary was in the courtroom. I don’t know why they’re doing this.” Sam explained and the officer took notes.

“You live here alone?”

“No, my brother moved in to help with Mary since I’m still in law school. Our Dad’s been staying too but a family friend called, needed help with something so they went. We haven’t had any problems so I thought it’d be okay. Now this.”

“Is there anyone you can stay with in case?” he asked and Sam thought it over before shaking his head.

“Only Bobby but he’s in South Dakota.” Sam admitted and he nodded.

“Come on down to the station and we’ll see if you can go stay with him, might be safer if she gets bail or her husband joins in.”

“Yeah, okay.” Sam said, grabbing Mary’s bag.

```````````````````````````````````````````````````
Bobby opened his door only to stare in shock. Standing on his porch was Sam Winchester…..with a baby in his arms. Sam smiled at him awkwardly.

“Hey Bobby. Sorry about this but can we come in?” Sam asked and Bobby stepped back, letting him in.

“Sam? What’s going on? Is that…..”

“Bobby this is Mary Jessica Winchester.”

She’s beautiful Sam. Your Dad and Dean, do they?”

“Yeah, it’s a long story.” Sam told him, taking the shot glass of holy water, tipping a little into Mary’s mouth too. Sam sat down on the couch with Mary in his lap.

“How old is she?”

“She’ll be six months tomorrow which is part of the reason we’re here. I know the odds of what happened to Mom but…..I don’t want to risk her.” Sam told him and Bobby nodded, looked like they’d be spending the night in the panic room for safety.

“And the other part?”

“Mary’s grandparents. They already tried going to court to get custody but it didn’t work. Natalie Moore showed up on my doorstep yesterday, the cops got her but they thought I should get out of the apartment just in case. Dean and Dad are helping Caleb with a hunt. Didn’t know where else to go.” Sam told him and Bobby nodded.

“You’re always welcome here Sam, you know that. Let’s get you two settled into the guestroom. You called you Dad or Dean?”

“No, I just needed to get Mary out.” Sam admitted and Bobby nodded.

“Well you better call before they go back and find you gone.”

`````````````````````````````````````````````````
Dean scrambled out of the Impala and ran for the apartment only to be grabbed by a nearby cop.

“Sir you can’t go in there.”

“No my brother. Sam! Mary!” He yelled, looking around frantically. John’s truck pulled in and then he was running towards them. Dean stared at the burning building, heart in his throat as he imagined Sam and Mary trapped inside.

“Dean! Where’s Sam and Mary?” He demanded.

“Sir do you live here?”

“Yes. My brother Sam, he’s the one on the lease. He’s got a baby girl, Mary. Where are they?” Dean demanded fearfully.

TBC…