Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Disclaimer: Not mine.
For those who are worried about Sam and the whole amnesia thing, please keep reading. I can’t say anything without giving too much away but just wait.

Chapter 4

Dean watched as Sam swam around in the pool, smiling softly at the pure happiness Sam radiated. Sam was completely at home in the water, just like any merperson. If it wasn’t for the fact that Sam had to obey him it would probably be impossible to get him out of the water. Sam glanced up, seeing him through the water and surfaced just enough to reveal his face but keeping his gills in the water. He tilted his head curiously, calling out to Dean in merish since, the soft clicks and whistles that formed Dean’s name recognisable to Dean no matter what form he was in. He stripped off and dove in, feeling Sam dive down beside him. Dean smiled and took off, getting Sam to chase him around the pool, playing. Dean loved that Sam was so innocent and playful, it made him feel like a young Siren again instead of the many centuries he actually was. They played together for hours before Dean tugged Sam towards the surface and Sam actually pouted at him before following him up. Dean held Sam through his transformation, petting his hair and once it was done Sam looked up at him, smiling at him.

“Hey.” Dean whispered, rubbing noses with Sam and making him laugh.

“Why did we come up?” Sam asked and Dean grinned.

“Cause I got a surprise for you.” Dean answered and Sam smiled.

“What?” He asked and Dean laughed, pulling him up to his feet. Dean handed Sam clothes and Sam struggled into them, still a little uncoordinated from his change and then Dean led Sam over to the bed where he’d put Sam’s surprise. He nudged Sam and the merman sat down to open the box, peering in curiously.
“What is it?” Sam asked and Dean grinned. He sat down and tugged Sam into his lap, pulling out the decadent chocolate cake and the fork. He held the fork to Sam’s mouth and Sam obediently opened, taking the food before his eyes went wide in delight.
“Mmmm.” Sam moaned and Dean smiled.

“You like it?” Dean asked and Sam nodded enthusiastically.
“Thought you would.” Dean whispered, going back to feeding Sam the cake, taking the occasional bite himself. Once they were done Dean got into the bed and Sam curled up in his arms to sleep. Sam still preferred to sleep under water but Dean wanted Sam to be bale to act human if he ever took Sam out of the cave so he made sure Sam did human things occasionally, like sleeping in a bed and eating human food.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Bobby didn’t know what to do; John was destroying himself in his single minded hunt for Mary’s killer. Without Sam to give him someone alive to focus on all John cared about was vengeance. Whatever they’d been hunting in Florida was either dead or had moved on somewhere new. Bobby was assuming dead since he hadn’t found traces of similar kills and if Sam had been tired from a fight, maybe even injured, it explained the crash. Didn’t help that the one year anniversary of Sam’s death was coming up, John was drinking more and more, trying to dull the pain. Bobby missed Sam too, the kid had always been such a bright spot in the hunters’ life but he’d seen the way the kid had been changing over the last few years. The light in Sam’s eyes had been dying out, destroyed by his father’s relentless drive to find the thing that had killed Sam’s mother. Maybe in a way it was better for Sam to have died than to become a shell of the boy he’d been but that didn’t stop Bobby form missing the kid fiercely.

```````````````````````````````````````
Sam clung to Dean’s hand as they walked along the boardwalk, cowering against the Siren every time someone came too close. Dean just rubbed the back of Sam’s hand, whispering assurances to the frightened merman. He hated seeing Sam so scared but he needed to learn how to interact with humans, they couldn’t stay in the cave forever. Sooner or later they’d be tracked and have to move on. Dean figured they’d head in land, maybe get an actual house near a lake or pond. Dean watched as slowly Sam began to calm down, looking around more curiously but he still clung to Dean. They came to the end of the boardwalk and Sam stared down at the ocean in utter awe. Sam looked at Dean and then back down at the water and Dean wrapped his arms around Sam’s waist, smiling as Sam instantly relaxed into is arms.

“You can never go into that water Sammy, understand?” Dean asked and Sam nodded.
“It’s too dangerous; there are beings in there that would hurt you.” Dean whispered and Sam shivered, huddling into his arms more.
“It’s okay Sammy, love you.” Dean kissed the side of Sam’s neck and Sam smiled, looking over his shoulder at him.

“Love you Dean.” Sam smiled and Dean brushed his lips against Sam’s briefly. They stood there, watching the sunset and the lights go on before slipping away and back to the cave.

```````````````````````````````````````````````
Dean leant over Sam and kissed him softly, smiling at Sam’s innocent responses to him. Sam just smiled up at him trustingly, hair moving in the soft current of the pool. One great thing about kissing underwater? Thanks to their gills they never had to worry about breaking for air. It also meant Dean didn’t have to worry about hurting Sam by putting too much of his weight on him. He grinned as Sam’s tail hesitantly curled around his; gently rubbing at the area where skin melted to scales, knowing it was incredibly sensitive to touch. Sam’s eyes widened and he let out a shrill trill, confused by what he was feeling and Dean kissed him again. Dean wasn’t going to take things any further, not in these forms since it would be too awkward despite the fact that Sam’s body was far more sensitive in mer form. He smiled when a hesitant hand brushed his own scale line, putting a hand over Sam’s to show him the touch was welcome. They continued kissing and touching for hours until Sam yawned and then blushed. Dean just chuckled and curled up around him on the sand, holding him as Sam drifted off to sleep.

He’d have to do something about Sam’s hair soon he figured, it was getting rather long but…..he actually kind of like it and if someone who had known Sam saw him form a distance the long hair would help hide his identity. He ran his fingers through it and Sam murmured in his sleep, trying to cuddle in closer, making Dean smile as he started playing with the hair, straightening it out to find it was down to the bottom of Sam’s shoulder blades. Sam’s hair was thick and silky in his hands, making him wish his own was so nice. He kept his short for a reason after all. Sam’s eyes fluttered partially open and Dean kissed the top of his head, soothing him back to sleep.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Dean smiled as Sam walked beside him, no longer clinging fearfully when people brushed past him. He could feel the way people looked at Sam; fascinated by his innocence so he never let Sam wander away from his side, who knew who might take a little too much interest. A few looked at him with pity, obviously assuming Sam wasn’t quite right but Dean just ignored them, they didn’t know Sam. His smart, loving Sam who if Dean asked could memories and recite massive books without any effort. Sam seemed fascinated when he saw other couples out enjoying the sun and sand and Dean smiled softly at the way Sam would watch them, hiding behind his hair so no one else would notice.

Dean headed away from the beach and Sam followed him, only hesitating a little when Dean gently tugged him across the road. Sam had never been so far away from their cave before and looked to be getting nervous again but then he looked at Dean and relaxed, moving to entwine their fingers in a need for comfort. Dean took him into a café and ordered them food, gently teaching Sam how to eat like other people instead of Dean simply feeding him like they did at home.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````
Dean smiled as Sam pulled himself out of the water instead of swimming until Dean came in to get him. He liked it when Sam showed initiative instead of waiting to be told to do something, it made something inside him relax a little. Sam whimpered as the change started and Dean sat beside him, cradling him close. Once it was done Dean kissed him and Sam eagerly accepted it. Dean grinned and lifted Sam up, making Sam wrap his arms around Dean’s neck as Dean carried him over to the bed, dropping him down so he bounced on the mattress, making Sam laugh. Dean crawled on beside him and Sam smiled, moving in to kiss Dean. Dean lay down on his back and spread his arms out, earning a curious look.

“Dean?”

“Do what ever you want Sammy.” Dean offered and Sam stared at him in shock before smiling shyly and reaching out to touch Dean.

`````````````````````````````````````````````
Bobby shook his head as he dumped John down on the couch, being mindful of the sling on the man’s left arm. He didn’t know how he’d ended up being John’s partner but it was better to stick around and try and keep the man alive then wait around to get the call. After two and a half years John was getting worse if anything and it broke Bobby’s heart.

TBC….