Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Disclaimer: Not mine.
Everyone should read Glitch by SkeksisGirl on ffnet. It’s a SPNT:SCC crossover that I’m helping with by helping her write the brothers.

Chapter 7

Sam dozed lightly, his mind still trying to settle his old memories fully into place. He didn’t feel safe enough to fully sleep, not with the now blind Dean asleep in his arms. He finally gave up trying to sleep as the sun began to rise, instead deciding to try and figure out what he was going to do. Part of him wanted to forgive Dean and take care of him forever but Sam knew those feelings were his merman instincts talking. He knew he could never go back to his Dad and Bobby, they wouldn’t understand but at least he had gotten the chance to finally say goodbye. But he had to decide what to do about Dean, without his sight the Siren was vulnerable, an easy kill. Should he do it? He could do it now while Dean was asleep, it would be painless but……Sam wanted answers. He’d seen what Dean had done now he wanted to know why. Had Dean just wanted to lay with him or had Dean had some other reason? Sam looked down as he felt Dean shift and then open his eyes. Sightless green stared up at him and then Dean panicked.

“Dean calm down, you’re alright.” Sam stated forcefully, hoping to get through the panic. He couldn’t blame him, waking up blind would panic anyone though it was weird to see Dean so out of control.

“Sam? Sam I can’t….Sammy.” Dean called, hands searching and Sam grabbed them, letting Dean know where Sam was.
“Sammy.” Dean breathed, freeing a hand and reaching out to Sam’s body, finding Sam’s face and tracing it shakily.
“You….you remember.” Dean mumbled and Sam nodded before mentally hitting himself, Dean couldn’t see!

“Yeah.”

“You didn’t leave.” Dean stated, obviously a little confused.

“You were in pain, I…..I need answers Dean. I saw a lot of stuff.” Sam admitted and Dean turned his head away.
“Come on, we should eat first.” Sam said as he sat up.
“I’m going to help you up.” Sam warned him and then gently grasped his shoulders, helping him to sit up and then off the bed. Dean swayed dangerously so Sam wrapped an arm around his waist.
“Take it slow.” Sam cautioned and they gradually made their way downstairs and into the kitchen, Sam leaving Dean on a kitchen stool. He started getting out cereal, being sure to make a lot of noise so Dean would know where he was. When he was done he sat beside Dean and picked up his hand.
“Toast is here, juice here and eggs here.” Sam told him, moving his hand to each thing as he named it. Dean shakily reached out, fumbling to pick up the toast, Sam watching. He’d help if Dean really needed it but so far he was doing okay. Sam was still very mad but he wasn’t cruel, he wouldn’t let a blind person suffer no matter how they’d hurt him. When Dean nearly dropped the glass Sam grabbed it and helped him, ignoring the tears he could see shimmering in Dean’s eyes.

“Are you staying?” Dean asked and Sam could hear the hope in his voice.

“I don’t…guess it depends. I know I can’t go home, they think I’m dead. And Dad has a rather black and white view of things.” Sam admitted.
“But you need to start talking Dean. I want to know everything.” Sam demanded and Dean nodded, holding out his hand.

“Can we…..the tub please?” Dean asked and Sam realised how much it was costing the proud Siren to ask for help. Sam took his hand and led him back upstairs and into the bathroom. Sam looked at the tub and then sighed, stripping off. He started the water and then walked back to Dean.

“Can you strip or do you need help?” Sam asked gently and Dean fumbled with his shirt, pulling it off. He nearly fell trying to get his pants off so Sam steadied him but let him do it himself. Then Sam helped him into the tub, watching the smooth, practically instant transformation. Sam took a deep breath and got in, gasping at the pain as he slipped under the water. He felt hands reaching for him and grabbed one tightly, loosening his grip as the pain eased.

“Sam?” Dean called out and Sam blinked, realising he was hearing and understanding something that wasn’t English.

“I’m okay, that was…..weird.” He admitted and Dean moved in the tub. It was deep enough for them to submerge but there wasn’t a lot of room once they were under so Dean hesitantly stretched out over Sam. Sam looked himself over, taking in the tail and its different bands of colour compared to Dean’s solid colouring.
“Can you see anything?” Sam asked and Dean shook his head before wincing.
“Dizzy?”

“Only when I move my head real fast.” Dean admitted.

“Plenty of people deal with blindness every day Dean, you’ll adapt. But…..what caused it?”

“Nothing.” Dean mumbled.

“Dean no secrets or lies. I’m am beyond mad at you, only reason I’m not yelling is you’re hurt and obviously you did something to give me my memories back so that cuts you some slack.” Sam stated as calmly as he could.

“A potion, the bottle you drank in bed. All magic has a price though. You wanted your memories so I lost my sight, price pain.” Dean answered tightly and Sam stared up at him.

“Did you know this would happen?”

“I knew there’d be a price but not what it would be.” He admitted and Sam reached up to touch his face, a part of him already missing the vibrant emerald of Dean’s eyes. Dean flinched slightly but then leant into the touch so Sam left his hand there.
“I….after what happened in the diner, it was my fault, you couldn’t defend yourself. You didn’t even understand what they were doing. You were so scared and I did that to you.” Dean said quietly, blind eyes staring through Sam.

“You did this because some idiots were picking on me?” Sam asked and Dean nodded shakily.
“Thank you. But why did you do this to me?”

“You were so sad. I saw you on the beach, watched you for days. You’d smile but it was never truly happy. I wanted you to be happy. You were happy right?” Dean asked and Sam closed his eyes. Dean had done this because he’d seen Sam wasn’t happy as a hunter? There were less extreme methods.
“And….I guess I was lonely too. Siren’s are solitary out of necessity, we can only bond with merpeople and they kill us on sight. That’s why I told you to never go in the ocean, they’d know what you are……would use you to find and kill me, then take you so they could introduce new blood in to the population.” Dean explained and Sam’s eyes went wide.

“They’d make me…..” He trailed off, unable to say it and Dean reached out to wrap his arms around Sam’s waist.

“You wouldn’t know it was happening Sam. If…..if I die, we’re bonded Sam. Breaking the bond won’t kill you but, it’ll break your mind. They’d use your body; care for your needs but….”

“Okay no going in the ocean, got it.” Sam swallowed, aware of it or not that was not a fate he wanted. He thought over what Dean had told him, Dean had been lonely and seen the same thing in Sam……..but he hadn’t given Sam a choice, except he had now, hadn’t he? Was it that simple? Dean wasn’t human, never had been, his morals and thought processes weren’t human. Could Sam hate him for doing what he thought was right? Sam sighed as he realised he didn’t hate Dean; sure he was mad at him, if he could see Sam would probably be long gone, but he didn’t hate the Siren. Everything he’d seen of Dean had shown him to be so strong but since Sam had woken up he’d been different, more vulnerable but Sam guessed losing a sense would do that to anyone. So Sam reached out and guided Dean’s head down onto his shoulder, wrapping his arms around Dean.

“You thought you were giving me a better life. You’re not human, you don’t think like one, do you?” Sam asked quietly and Dean shook his head slightly.
“I don’t hate you Dean, I’m mad that you never tried to ask me but I don’t hate you. I’m not going to leave you alone like this either. But……I can’t…..I don’t feel….” Sam stumbled and Dean nodded.

“You don’t like me.” Dean stated sadly, going to pull back but Sam didn’t let him.

“No but right now I think we both need the comfort of contact. Besides people can hug without it being anything sexual.” Sam told him and Dean clung to him. It was a weird reversal of the roles they’d had the last few years but Sam decided to just go with it. He couldn’t kill Dean and beating up a blind person, human or not, was just low.

“Thought you’d try to kill me.” Dean mumbled and Sam sighed.

“That would have stopped me getting any answers and……you never actually hurt me, other than the whole making me forget and changing my species which I can sort of deal with, I guess. But….why did you kill all those people Dean. You were who we were hunting, weren’t you?” Sam asked and Dean swallowed.

“Yeah, it was me. They deserved what they got Sam. Humans can be monsters too.” Dean snapped out and Sam smiled at the reaction.

“Yeah, growing up on the road, you see things. What sort of monsters were they?” Sam asked, able to feel Dean’s surprise at his acceptance.

“Rapists, paedophiles, murders.” Dean answered and Sam nodded.

“Okay.”

“Okay?” Dean asked and Sam smiled slightly.

“Yeah, obviously the cops weren’t catching them and they can’t hurt anyone else now. You should have talked to me Dean. With the way things were, I would have seriously considered letting you do this to me. After setting things up a bit gentler for Dad, he’s pretty much been drinking himself to death.” Sam admitted and Dean raised his head.

“How do you know that?” Dean asked and Sam shrugged.

“Saw it. I um…I’m sort of psychic Dean, could feel whatever that potion was pulling at that. Even let me talk to Dad and Bobby, they thought I was a ghost. Said I’d been allowed to come say goodbye since Dad was doing so badly but had killed the demon that killed my Mom.” Sam explained.
“They bought it and Dad should stop drinking so much.”

“I’m sorry. I just wanted you to be happy.” Dean told him and Sam nodded.

TBC…