Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Disclaimer: Not mine.
Check out the new poll on ffnet please.

Chapter 5

Dean smiled as Sam began exploring their new house. Sam was excited but nervous; Dean could tell by the way he kept checking on where Dean was. The house had two stories with the bedrooms upstairs and a nice large bathroom including spa bath big enough for them with their tails. Plus there was a good sized lake a short walk away with no neighbours around to see them in it. Really it was the perfect place and Dean was very happy he’d remembered he’d bought the place about half a century ago, a bit of money and the place had been fixed up in two months. A nice present for Sam’s third birthday as a merman. Dean went into the kitchen and started to make them a nice meal for their first night in their new home. When Sam joined him he smiled and Sam leant in to give him a kiss.

“So you like the place?” Dean asked and Sam grinned.

“It’s so big! It’s all ours?” Sam asked and Dean nodded.

“Yep, there’s a lake nearby, bigger than the pool in the cave. It’s freshwater so it’ll feel a bit different but we have a bathtub here to get you used to it first. Want steak or prawns?” Dean asked and Sam wrinkled his nose, making Dean have to smother a laugh. He tried to ask Sam what he wanted as much as possible to give Sam a say in his life.

“Prawns.” Sam answered and Dean nodded, getting them out. He’d know that would be Sam’s choice, steaks weren’t really the menu of choice for merpeople. Sam watched curiously as Dean cooked their dinner.

“Want to help?” Dean asked and Sam’s eyes widened.

“Can I?” He asked excitedly and Dean nodded.

“Come here Sammy.” Dean said and Sam joined him. Dean showed him what to do and Sam went to work. When it was done they sat down and ate, Sam curled into Dean’s side with Dean feeding him from his own fork because it made Sam smile. When they were done they cleaned up and headed upstairs, Sam bouncing on the mattress. It was bigger and softer than their old one. Dean laughed and joined him in the fun for a bit.

````````````````````````````````````````
Dean grinned as he chased Sam around the lake, Sam swimming madly to stay ahead of him. Watching Sam swim was amazing, even as a human he’d had a good build for it and running. Sam glanced over his shoulder and Dean sped up, making Sam laugh as he swam. Dean finally caught him and they rolled in the water, Sam pretending to struggle to get away. Sam laughed, his eyes shining with happiness and that made Dean happy. Sam leant in and gave him a quick kiss before pushing away and taking off again. Dean laughed and took off after him.

`````````````````````````````````````
John stared at the gun in his hands and then over at the body. It was done. The demon that had killed his wife was dead. He just wished Sam was alive to see it too. The demon had been rather upset about Sam being dead but his anger did prove that his son was definitely dead. Not that he really needed the proof; he’d seen the body after all. He looked over at Bobby who nodded tiredly, holding a cloth to the bleeding gash at the side of his head.

“It’s over.” John whispered and Bobby nodded as he sat down beside him.

“You okay?” Bobby asked and John half shrugged.
“Come on, we should go before the cops show up.”

``````````````````````````````````````````
Dean smiled as he ran his hands through Sam’s hair, Sam almost purring at the attention. He arched up to kiss Dean and Dean eagerly returned it. Sam’s hands came up and Dean let him do what he wanted, loving the fact that Sam would show independence when it came to that sort of thing. They only ever kissed and touched though, Sam was just so innocent seeming that Dean couldn’t actually bring himself to initiate full on sex which was sort of weird for him.

“Dean?” Sam whispered and Dean blinked, kissing him again.

“Sorry, got lost in thought Sammy.” Dean admitted and Sam smiled shyly.

``````````````````````````````````````````
Bobby got John cleaned up and then started clearing up the empty bottles, used to the routine after four years of anniversaries. He sighed as he saw the photo of Sam that the other hunter was clutching. He almost wished something had killed Sam rather than a wreck, wanting vengeance would keep John out of the bottle at least.

It was several hours before John so much as twitched and then he groaned and tried to roll over only to fall off the couch. He blinked and then grabbed his head in pain and Bobby handed him the painkillers.

“You really think this is what Sam would want for you?” Bobby asked quietly and John mustered up a glare.
“You know Sam hated to see you drink let alone get drunk so how does doing this every year honour his memory? It won’t bring him back and you can bet he’s with his Mom glaring at you for being an idiot.” Bobby told him and John looked down at the photo he was still clutching. It had been taken when Sam turned twenty one and the three of them had gone out for dinner. The kid looked happy in it but his eyes were haunted.

“Shoulda let him go to college.” John mumbled and Bobby sighed.

“Yeah, but that wouldn’t have stopped a car accident. Sam loved you John, even when all the two of you did was fight. He’d hate for you to join him too soon.” Bobby offered before leaving him alone.

```````````````````````````````````````````````
Dean smiled as he chased Sam around their yard, trying to get the house of him before he decided Dean needed his tail on dry land again. Sometimes Sam could act like such a little kid but it was fun. He remembered the way they’d talked before and he did occasionally miss that sort of conversation, but Sam no longer had the memories or experience to really talk about anything other than what they were doing together. He knew Sam was very smart, he still was, but without experience to draw on it really cut down his ability to have an in depth discussion.

“Dean? What’s wrong? Did I do something wrong?” Sam asked quietly and Dean blinked, finding Sam was standing in front of him, hose held loosely and looking sad. He reached out and hugged him, kissing him softly to get a small smile.

“No Sammy, you didn’t do anything wrong.”

“You’re not mad at me?” Sam asked and Dean shook his head.

“Never mad at you Sam.” Dean promised and Sam grinned before taking off again. Dean laughed and took off after him, swearing when Sam got his bare legs with the hose again and he changed briefly. Good thing they had no neighbours or they’d be getting a free show since Dean’s clothes had ripped the first time Sam got him. It wasn’t really fair since he couldn’t retaliate but he hated seeing Sam in pain.

``````````````````````````````````````````````
Sam walked happily beside Dean as they headed for the diner they both liked. Dean liked the burgers and Sam liked their cake. All the staff doted on Sam who was puzzled by their attention but accepted it. Dean knew they figured Sam wasn’t all there mentally but they didn’t sneer at him or treat him badly so he never said anything to them. They served better chocolate cake than the cake shop did and Sam loved it. They sat in their usual booth and their food was delivered without them ever having to order since they always got the same things. Sam happily dug into his cake and Dean into his burger; he never got red meat at home so he loved going out to eat.

“Sam I need to go to the restroom. You okay here?” Dean asked when he’d finished his burger and Sam’s eyes went wide. Dean had never left him alone while out before. Dean glanced over at the counter, catching their waitress’s eye. Stella was a great lady and she had kids Sam’s age so she always looked out for him. He looked at Sam and then at the restroom and she nodded.
“Stella’s just over there Sammy; you can call her if you need anything. Can you try?” Dean asked and Sam nodded slowly.
“Okay, I’ll be back real soon.” He promised, kissing the top of Sam’s head before heading for the men’s room.

Sam watched him until he was out of sight and then went back to eating, continually glancing up.

“He’ll be back real quick sweety, want another drink?” Stella asked him and Sam nodded nervously.
“Okay, you’re alright kiddo.” She assured him, smiling as she went to get him a refill. Everyone tensed when five young men walked in, talking loudly and hitting each other. They saw Sam right away and headed towards him.

Dean came out of the restroom and froze fro a second before seeing red. He moved too fast for a human to track and ripped the guy away from Sam, slamming him into a wall.

“You ever go near him again it’ll be the last thing you do!” Dean snarled in rage, hearing Sam’s fearful whimpers behind him even as Stella knelt in front of him, trying to calm him down.
“Get out of here!” Dean snapped and the guys backed off.

“It’s okay sweety, they’re gone, you’re okay.” Stella whispered to Sam, making sure he couldn’t see what Dean was doing behind her. She looked up at Dean who was staring at Sam with such a look of guilt and grief that she couldn’t be scared of him, despite what she’d just seen.
“Look, Dean’s back.” She called and Sam looked up before launching himself at Dean who held him gently. Stella got up and nodded at Dean before heading back to the counter.

“Shh, its okay Sammy, I’ve got you. You’re safe.” Dean soothed as Sam clung to him, sniffling softly.

“Dean.” Sam whimpered and Dean closed his eyes. He’d only been gone a few minutes and they’d been having such a happy time.
“Why were they so mean?” Sam asked and Dean hushed him.

“Come on, lets get you home.” Dean said instead, gently leading Sam towards the exist.

“Here.” Stella handed him a bag.
“Today’s’ on the house, hope he’ll be okay.” She told Dean as he took the bag and glanced in to see the cake that had been on display as well as another burger.

“Thanks. We probably won’t be back for a while.” He told her as they left. He got Sam out of sight and then sat down, cradling him close. It was all his fault Sam had been hurt. Sam didn’t even understand why they had been so cruel to him, he didn’t realise how different he was to others. Dean knew the old Sam would have easily been able to handle what had happened; he’d taken away Sam’s ability to defend himself not only physically but verbally and then left him alone. How could he have done that? He loved Sam.

Dean froze. He what? He liked Sam, always had. Sure at first he’d been attracted to him on a purely physical level but Sam’s pain had called out to him, made him want to take it away. Well he’d done that but now Sam had a new pain.

“Dean!” Sam cried out desperately and Dean held him even closer, kissing his hair as he rocked him gently, still thinking over his little revelation and he realised it was true. Somewhere along the line he’d fallen in love with Sam. He had to fix this, he had to make things right. Somehow.

TBC….