Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Disclaimer: Not mine.

Chapter 4


The scream stopped him. Caleb closed his eyes and took a few deep breaths before going back to try and talk to Sam. He froze when he saw Sam with the machete and bolted over, knocking it from his arm. "Whatthehelldoyouthingyou'redoing?!"

Sam fought against him, trying to get to the blade, not really registering Caleb's presence. He had to fix things! Had to make it better for Caleb and Dean.

Caleb easily held Sam back, using his full strength against his brother and pushing him against the wall. "SAM!"

Sam kept struggling but he could see Caleb now, knew it was his little brother stopping him. He saw his lips move but couldn't hear over the rushing sound of his own blood. "Please....got to fix it....Dad was right....." Sam mumbled.

"What did John say?" Caleb asked, keeping Sam from struggling, didn't want him to go for the machete again. Sam started hitting his head against the wall, smashed brains worked just as well to kill most things.

"Got to die....evil....kill everyone..." Sam muttered as he kept trying to kill himself to save them.

Caleb moved and grabbed his head, forcing Sam to look at him. "Damn it Sam... think!" Caleb snarled. "You die, who's going to feed Dean without dying? You think Dean will want you dead? You're his Sammy! He says I'm supposed to protect you and him. How can I do that if you die?"

"My fault...evil...got to save you....they all die." Sam mumbled, head pounding from being sick and the beating he'd just given himself.
"Better dead...shouldn't been brought back."

"Yeah, well you were brought back, because Dean couldn't live without you." Caleb replied. "You're not evil. I'm evil. You're not."

Sam blinked, finally starting to hear Caleb's words and he shook his head.
"No...Caleb not evil....demon blood freak evil.....got to die...." Sam tried to explain.

"No, genetically engineered killing machine evil. Screwed by fate man not evil." Caleb held Sam’s head in his hands, making sure that Sam couldn't move, forcing his elder brother to look at him. Sam whimpered, why didn't he understand? Sam killed everyone he loved; he didn't want Caleb to die too. On the bed Dean whimpered in his sleep, able to feel Sam's distress but unable to wake up.
"Just because fate likes to shit on you, doesn't make you evil." Caleb shook his head gently. "Think Sam! What will happen to Dean if you kill yourself? Look how upset I am about what happened cause I was sent away. You really think I'm gonna be happy that you killed yourself?!”

Sam fought to focus on Caleb and what he was saying. He didn't want Sam gone? Sam fought to raise a hand, grasping at Caleb's arm as he struggled to speak. "But you live.....don't want you die.....everyone dies.....near me." he got out.

"Then Bobby is a really damn good looking Ghost." Caleb replied, letting him rest his hand on his arm. "Also, Dean doesn't die around you... you're his source of life, his everything." He switched his voice to sound like Sam's. Hoping it works. "Dean? Wake up!" Dean shifted in his sleep, struggling to wake but Sam had been the one to put him to sleep so the bond kept him out. Sam stared at Caleb with wide eyes and then slumped, all the fight leaving his body.

"Caleb?" He whispered hopefully.

"No... I'm Clint Eastwood." He rolled his eyes easily taking all of Sam's weight. Sam clung to him, shaking uncontrollably.

"Don't die, please don't leave." He whimpered, burying his head in Caleb's neck, needing to feel his pulse beating.

"Not dead, not planning on dying..." Caleb replied, rubbing his back in calming circles like he saw Dean do once. Sam just clung to him, needing him.

"Everyone I love dies cause of me. Can't lose you too." Sam choked.

"Dean isn't dead... he's right over there on the bed, needing you to wake him up."

"But...he made the deal cause of me, would have died. Lust saved him, not me." Sam argued weakly.

"He made the deal because he loved you Sam. I would have thrown myself between the two of you if I had been there." Caleb sighed and nuzzled against him. "Call for him...?”

"D…Dean." Sam called out brokenly and Dean rolled over before blinking, looking around. He saw Sam slumped in Caleb's arms and a big knife nearby, scrambling off the bed in alarm.

"Hurt?" He asked, looking at them both for blood.

"He tried to kill himself." Caleb said as he picked Sam up and carried him over to the bed. Dean frowned and followed back to the bed, getting on beside Sam, curling into him.

"Don't understand." Dean pleaded, trusting Caleb to look after them and explain things.

"What happens if you feed from someone not Sammy?" Caleb asked, getting another ice pack for Sam since he was still sick. Dean just stared at him and then whimpered, curling tighter around Sam, rocking slightly and Sam's hand moved to rest in Dean's hair even as he fought to stay conscious.

"Caleb help Sammy?" Dean pleaded.

"Trying to." Caleb said as he looked at Sam. "Dean, do you think you and I would be better off without Sam?"

"No!! Need Sammy, love Sammy. He takes care of me. Never hurt me even when She wanted him too." Dean babbled as he clung to Sam and stared at Caleb with wide, scared eyes.

Caleb smirked a bit. "See? We love you Sam... you dying would be a bad thing."

"Still love...me?" Sam asked hopefully. Caleb hadn't said it once since coming back, Sam had thought he didn't love him anymore.

"Yeah I still love you two! Why do you think I'm so hurt by the abandonment!?"

Sam stared at Caleb in bewildered hope. Caleb was just mad? He didn't hate them? Sam reached for him, eyes pleading.

Caleb couldn't help smiling at the sight of Sam reaching towards him with Dean wrapped around him. He took his hand and curled up against his side. "I was scared you guys didn't love me anymore."

"Love Caleb." Dean stated and Sam smiled sleepily.

"Love Caleb, always." He agreed with Dean, wrapping his arm around Caleb, holding his brothers as he began to drift off to sleep. Caleb stayed with them for a while to make sure that Sam was fully asleep before disentangling himself. He did need some alone time. He glanced at Dean to see if the Incubus was asleep too. Dean watched Caleb get up, not sure what he was doing. He said he was going to stay with them!

"Leaving?" He asked, scared so he clung to Sam who murmured in his sleep and pulled Dean closer, other hand searching blindly for Caleb.

Caleb sighed and pointed to the window. "Just gonna go outside, need a little bit alone. I promise I will return."

Dean stared at him and knew he was telling the truth, he could do that, tell when people were lying and Sammy said it was because his senses were really good now.

"Promise?" He asked just to be extra sure. He wriggled free and crawled over Sam to hug Caleb.

He hugged back, burying his face in Dean's neck. "Promise I will be back Dean."

"Kay. Soon?" He asked, not wanting him to be gone long. What if Sammy woke up and was upset?

Caleb nodded and kissed Dean on the forehead. "Go back to sleep Dean."

Dean smiled at the kiss, darting up to kiss Caleb on the lips before curling back up with Sam, getting comfortable. Caleb blinked and blushed before leaving. Heading to the porch steps and collapsing on them, his face in his hands as he just started sobbing.

Bobby stopped as he saw the kid crying on his stairs. He didn't know the kid at all but....he was a Winchester no matter how he came into existence and it was obvious his boys loved him.

"You okay kid?" He asked gruffly.

Caleb blinked and picked his head up to look at Bobby. Just looking at the elder hunter like the man was stupid for asking that. Did he look okay? He sniffled and wiped his nose with his sleeve.

Bobby sighed, what did he do to get stuck with another one?
"What did Sam say this time? Used to be Dean's mouth that needed watching now its his." Bobby grumbled as he sat down on a nearby chair.

"Let's see... sending me away, dying, dealing with the devil, Dean becoming an Incubus, Sam becoming half demon or something... Sam getting sick cause he's a stubborn bastard, and then trying to kill himself cause he thinks we'll all be better off with him dead because some idiotic bastard said so about cover it?"

Bobby froze as the kids rushed words fully registered.
"Sam did what?" he breathed in horror.

"Sam tried to kill himself. I stopped him." Caleb replied. "Dean's watching him as he sleeps upstairs."

"Damn it! Should have seen it coming with everything....do I need to get the stitching kit out?"

Caleb shook his head no. "Got him away from the machete before he could hurt himself."

"Bet that was fun." Bobby grumbled.
“There are days I wish I'd shot their Daddy for the way he raised them, how he treated them. John was a good man, he just never understood his children." Bobby muttered.
"Bet it was what he told Dean that really set Sam off, poor kid never really got the chance to deal with it."

"He thought I hated him cause I was mad..."

"He's always been real sensitive to stuff like that. Tried to run away from home a few times thinking Dean hated him after an argument." Bobby told him.
"You told him you don't hate him?"

Caleb nodded and rubbed his face, his shoulders shaking with sobs. "I should have been there..."

"Those boys can be real idjits kid but they meant well. Dean.....he was a real mess when he sent you away, nearly called you back a hundred times and then Sam died......thought I'd end up salting and burning them both. Odds are you couldn't have changed anything; don't go picking up guilt that ain't yours to carry."

"Yeah? Look at them now?" Caleb sniffled. "I keep goin on and on about how I can handle myself... and now... can't even protect them."

"You're the baby kid, that's how they were raised, protect the youngest. Sam outgrew Dean years ago but Dean's first thought was always to protect him in a fight despite Sam having inches and pounds on him. I wouldn't want to go up against him in a fist fight. Family protects each other; they thought they were protecting you. Yeah it was screwed up but they thought they were keeping you safe." Bobby told him and then pulled his cap off. Should he tell him?
"They need protecting more than ever now." he admitted softly.
"There are hunters out there that won't care Dean's harmless or that Sam isn't an actual demon. They get word of the boys and they'll hunt them. Dean can't hunt or fight anymore, Sam'll need you to have his back if that happens."

"Can't we teach Dean to fight?"

"Don't think it'd work, keeping him focused enough would be pretty much impossible. He can't even drive anymore." Bobby told him.

Caleb just stared at Bobby with his jaw on the floor. "What?!"

"Incubi aren't exactly known for being able to do everyday things. Their lives revolve around sex and feeding kid. That's pretty much all he thinks about unless Sam's trying to coax him into remembering his past." Bobby admitted.
"Good thing Sam's keeping him well fed or else...he'd be pretty much oozing lust and need."

"He remembered stuff about me while Sam was unconscious..."

"Must have been concentrating on you real hard. Sam told him you're family right? That would put you to almost Sam's level in his mind. He tries to remember things about Sam on his own so he's probably doing the same with you."

He nodded and rested his face in his hands. "This is so FUBAR..."

"Welcome to a hunters life." Bobby chuckled as he got up.
"Don’t stay out here much longer, the wards are good and Rumsfeld keeps most things away but sunset’s soon." Bobby warned as he headed inside to start dinner.

Caleb watched him go then looked at the dog with a sigh before heading inside. He stopped at the bathroom to splash some water on his face before heading back to the room to check on Sam.

TBC…