Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Disclaimer: Not mine.

Chapter 8

Bobby looked up as Caleb walked downstairs. He didn't really know what to think of the boy or the strange group he'd called over. "Where are the boys?" He asked, it had been rather quiet up there since Dean stopped screaming. It had taken everything he had not to run up there but he knew Sam would never let anyone hurt Dean and it was just meeting so many new people causing the reaction.

"They're both asleep upstairs." Caleb said as he started some coffee. "Where are Sarah, John, and Cameron?"

"Out getting more food, don't usually have to feed this many." Bobby grumbled but at least he didn't have to pay.

"Cameron doesn't eat much." Caleb shrugged. "And I'm sure that you and Sarah will find something in common."

"If you say so kid. Did you need something or just sick of being upstairs?"

"Coffee... food... sick of being upstairs." Caleb looked at Bobby and tried his best to look innocent, cute, and the like.

"Something I need to know?" he asked, not fooled by the look.

Caleb rolled his eyes and dropped the innocent act. "Nope. You gunna try and shoot me again?"

"Not as long as you don't do something stupid. Coffee’s in the pot, not much in the fridge but help yourself." Bobby told him before leaving to go back to his research. They still didn't know enough about Incubus or about what had been done to Sam. Caleb did so then wandered into the living room where Bobby was researching to see what he was doing. "I ain't a side show boy, either help or go find something to do." Bobby growled without looking up.

"What can I do to help?" Caleb asked, perking a bit.

"Know any languages other than English? Most this stuff's in Latin and older."

"My computer can translate the Latin, not sure about older..." Caleb said as he reached for a book.

"You're looking for anything on Incubi and demonic control spells.

"Okay... why on Demonic control spells?" Caleb asked as he started reading the pages at a decent clip.

"Because Sam still isn't fully over whatever that bitch did to him." Bobby snapped. Caleb winced at being snapped at by Bobby and nodded, curling up tighter as he pretty much scanned the book into his memory. Bobby glanced up and sighed. "Not you kid, just the whole situation. Hate being helpless." He whispered.

"Yeah... me too." Caleb muttered, not looking at Bobby, but flipping through the book a little too fast for a human.

"You actually understanding that or just flipping pages?" Bobby asked after watching him for a few minutes.

"It's got a recipe for Ostrich brains in here." Caleb said as he kept flipping. "Nothing on Incubi or demon control yet." His head was resting on his fist. Bobby stared at him before chuckling and going back to his own research, pen and paper at hand. "What's so funny?" Caleb looked at him nervously.

"You're a Winchester all right kid." Bobby told him.

"What makes you say that?" Caleb blinked at him.

"You may look like Dean but apparently you're more like Sam when it comes to this stuff."

"Computer in the brain kinda helps. You could have Cameron read, store, and translated everything you own in maybe a week."

Bobby blinked but then nodded, thinking about it. If she agreed that could be rather helpful, it would save a lot of time after all.

Caleb was through his fifth book when he found something. "Huh..."

"Got something?"

"Yeah... looks like the control and ability to feed can be transferred or shared." Caleb said, chewing on a thumb nail.

"Interesting but not really helpful." Bobby murmured, uninterested.

Caleb shrugged. "Well I doubt there's a cure for Incubi."

"I was hoping for a way to restore him memories or help him be a bit more independent." Bobby told him.

"I'll keep looking." Caleb said. Bobby just nodded and got back to work.Caleb eventually nodded off with a book dangling from his hand. He’d been through the ringer too. Bobby looked up and then got up to carefully rescue the book and toss a blanket over the kid. Caleb mumbled and moved, curling up under the covers in a better position. Bobby watched him, seeing a lot of both brothers in him. Dean's mouth and Sam's brains, their stubbornness combined.

Sarah made her way in an hour later with bags of groceries and John and Cameron following behind with more bags. "Bobby?"

He hurried out before they could wake the kid, making hushing motions. "Kid’s asleep in the den, worn out." He whispered.

"Which kid?" Sarah asked as she handed him a bag and started to unpack.

"You think Sam would be down here asleep without Dean? Caleb was helping with some research, fell asleep over a book. The others are asleep upstairs."

Sarah nodded. "So... you're okay with Caleb?"

He glanced at her as he started getting diner ready. "Doesn't matter what I think, Sam and Dean need him." He answered gruffly.

Sarah nodded and slapped his hands away from the chicken. "That's for Sam's soup."

"Careful, she'll hog tie you." John warned from his seat at the table.

"This is my kitchen ya know?" He muttered.

"I got ovaries. I win." Sarah smirked. Bobby just stared at her before giving in and going back to his books. If she wanted to cook so badly so be it.

Cameron followed him curiously. John just snickered and then shut up from a glare from his mom. Bobby checked on Caleb to make sure he was comfortable before settling behind his desk to keep working.

"You have a lot of books." Cameron observed, picking one up and looking through it.

"Comes with the job girl."

"What Job is that?”

He looked at her blankly. She didn't know what the boys did? He glanced at Caleb but he was still out. "Hunting."

Cameron glanced at him then went back to the book. "You hunt the supernatural."

"Yeah. So?"

"Do you know them?" She asked, picking up one of the older, non-English books.

"Some. That's what translation guides are for.

"Thank you for explaining." Cameron smiled to him.

Caleb woke about an hour later and yawned. "Smells good..."

"Sarah's cooking." Bobby told him. "Sleep well?”

"Yeah." Caleb stretched and got up, rubbing his hair. "She's a good cook..."

"Guess I'll find out. Wanna get Sam down here or take something up to him later?”

"I'll take him some soup." Caleb moved to get the soup, giving Sarah a soft thanks and headed upstairs, shaking Sam's shoulder when he gets there. "Sam?"

He felt someone shaking him and opened his eyes, relaxing when he saw Caleb, giving him a sleepy, content smile.

"Morning sleepyhead." Caleb smiled. "Sarah made you her famous chicken soup."

Sam smiled and cuddled up to him, the words making a vague sort of sense but all he really wanted to do was cuddle unless Caleb wanted him to do something else.

Caleb frowned at that. The cuddling was cute, the not talking, not so much. "Sam? Are you hungry?"

"If you want me to be." Sam answered softly, not meeting his eyes.

"I want you to tell me the truth." Caleb sighed, groaning inwardly at the turn of events. Sam bit his lip, why wasn’t he telling him what to do? He didn't really feel anything, except safe and that he wanted to do what Caleb wanted him to do. Wonderful, Caleb buried his face in Sam's hair to calm himself. "I want you to eat Sam... you're still sick."

"Okay." Sam answered obediently. As long as Caleb told him what to do everything was safe.

Caleb groaned and leaned his head against the headboard, handing Sam the soup. "Bobby is gonna kill me."

"No!" Sam yelped in fear, he needed Caleb to be there, to tell him what to do. He stared at Caleb, if he told him to kill Bobby he'd do it, then Caleb would be safe.

"Not literally Sam." Caleb soothed, rubbing the back of his neck, squeezing it slightly to calm him. At the squeeze Sam went limp, purring slightly. "Eat Sam, I want you to get better, and you might wanna wake Dean up." Caleb sighed; this was going to be difficult. That transfer spell sounded good right about now.
Sam hesitated, which was he meant to do first? Eat or wake Dean up? He looked at the soup and then Dean before turning pleading eyes on Caleb.

"Wake Dean, then eat." Caleb said, trying to figure out a plan of action. Sam nodded happily and reached out to shake Dean's arm.

"Dean wake up." He called out and Dean stirred, smiling sleepily at them. But Sam didn't react, he turned to start eating the soup like Caleb had told him to.


Caleb smiled to Dean and reached out, ruffling his hair. "You sleep good Jerk?" Dean nodded, bumping his head against Caleb's hand.

"Sammy okay?" Dean asked, not sure why Sam hadn't talked to him or touched him like he normally did.

"Sammy had a setback." Caleb explained. "He's kinda... like you at the moment. Towards me." Please don't hate him!

Dean blinked, trying to work that out in his head. "Sammy?" he called out, tapping his brother who just kept eating. "Sammy!" Dean snuggled up beside him, wanting Sammy to answer.

Caleb nudged Sam, hoping he got the hint to pay attention to Dean. Sam looked up at Caleb, staring at him as if he was the only thing that mattered. Caleb's face fell and he sighed. "Sam... Dean's worried about you."

Sam felt puzzled but turned to look at Dean curiously. Why was he worried? Caleb would keep them both safe, he could do that. Sam nuzzled Dean, rubbing his face against his before going back to eating. Caleb sighed; at least Sam wasn't treating Dean like a sex toy. Dean was happy when Sam acknowledged him and even touched him. He didn't know why Sam was acting funny but at least it wasn't like with Her!

"Hey Sam? Tell me what's going through your mind?" Caleb asked and Sam looked at him, not sure what he was asking. "Who's that?" Caleb pointed to Dean.

"Dean, my brother." Sam answered immediately. He wasn't stupid or anything.

"And what is he to you?"

"My brother, I love him. Love you too." Sam told him, not wanting Caleb to think he didn't love him as well.

"So why were you ignoring him?"

"You didn't say it was okay to talk to him." Sam told him calmly. Dean touched his arm and Sam took his hand, making Dean happy as he cuddled even closer.

"It's always okay to talk and interact with Dean." Caleb replied. "I want you to talk and interact with Dean like normal. Okay?"

"Okay." Sam answered, wrapping an arm around Dean who smiled. Caleb relaxed at that. One crisis averted. Sam lay against Caleb with Dean cuddled against him, basking in the closeness.

"What're you thinking Sam?"

"Do you want me to think something?" Sam asked. He'd think whatever Caleb wanted him too but the calm blankness was nice. All anger and rage gone, he was just consumed by the feeling of safety that Caleb's presence gave him.

"...Wut?" Okay, now he was confused. "You're not thinking?"

"If you tell me too." Sam told him. "Nice blank quiet." He whispered.

"Hmm..." Caleb sucked in his lower lip thinking. "Dean what're you thinking?"

Dean grinned, Sam asked him that sometimes too. "That Sammy's acting different but not like with Her. You won't be mean like She was so it's okay." Dean told him.

"Okay, obviously not the same thing... damn it." Caleb leaned back and sighed, scratching both Sam and Dean behind the ear. They both cuddled closer, soaking up his affectionate touch and purring. Dean's purr was different to Sam's, deeper and smoother than the noise coming from purely human vocal chords. "Now I got you both purring." Caleb chuckled. "How you feeling Dean? Hungry?"

"Nope." Dean answered; he was still good from their earlier feed.

"Okay. Sam, what about you?"

"Happy, safe." That was an easy question.

"You're not hungry?"

"Do you want me to be?" Sam asked, why didn't Caleb just tell him what to think and do?

“I want you to think for yourself?" He hoped that worked. Sam just stared at him blankly. "Yeah didn't think that would work... do you feel hungry?"

Sam whimpered in distress, he didn't know what Caleb wanted him to say, think or do, the peace was fading slowing.

"Shh... it's okay." He ran his hand through Sam's hair. "I'll bring you some more food, okay?"

Sam held his arms out to Caleb, he didn't feel hungry because he hadn't been told to but he needed to be held, to soak up his presence and bring the calm blank back.

Caleb blinked at Sam and pulled him against his chest. "It's gonna be okay Sam... I'll take care of you."

Sam sighed, going limp against him as the blankness flooded in again.

"Better?" Caleb asked, rubbing his back gently. Sam's head just lolled against Caleb's chest as he rubbed against Caleb slightly, not sure if it was allowed. Caleb purred softly and looked over at Dean. "Well? Joining in or what?" Dean smiled and climbed on top of them so he was touching them both. He nuzzled Sam and then Caleb as he got comfortable. Dog piled by his brothers. He chuckled and nuzzled against Sam. "Love you."

"Love you two too." Sam murmured.

Caleb smiled and nipped at Dean's nose playfully. "Love you too Dean."

Dean laughed and nipped back. "Love Caleb and Sammy." Dean stated with a grin before nudging Sam, he wanted to play!

Caleb watched Sam to see what he'd do. Sam blinked and then cautiously nudged back, Caleb's orders humming in the back of the blankness, he was meant to talk and interact with Dean like normal. Caleb raised an eyebrow, hoping that Sam would take it upon himself to play back with Dean. When Dean batted at him playfully Sam returned the action, still a little hesitant but there was a small smile on his face.

"You can play with him Sam. He wants you to."

Dean grinned and rolled them and Sam wrapped his arms around him, continuing the roll and then he tickled Dean, making Dean laugh and Sam freeze. He bit his lip and Dean grinned at him, nudging and nuzzling him before returning the tickle attack.

Caleb laughed. "You two are like kittens." Sam smiled slightly at that, happy that Caleb was happy. Caleb frowned as his stomach growled. "I need food." He got up and stretched pulling on a shirt. Sam watched him with wide eyes, not sure what was happening. "What's wrong Sam?"

"What are you doing?"

"Going downstairs to eat."

"No. Can't leave." Sam called out desperately, speech deteriorating in his panic. He clutched at his head as the blankness began to break up, whimpering in pain.

Caleb frowned and moved, taking his hand. "Why can't I leave?"

"Stay Sam. Control, keep safe." Sam stuttered out brokenly as he began to rock himself.

Caleb sighed and pulled Sam to him. "Hey... it's okay. I'm just gonna get some food, then I'll be right back. Okay?"

Sam's eyes flickered black, the blankness beginning to break up, pain flooding his mind as his eyes lost focus.

"Sam... look at me." He held Sam's head in his hands, forcing him to look at him. "I want you to calm down." His voice brooking no argument. "Calm down now!" That was an order. Sam instantly stilled, his eyes struggling to focus on Caleb even as he continued whimpering in pain. Caleb kissed his forehead. "It's okay bro... I'm right here. You're sleepy... aren't you?" Sam whimpered but then yawned, his eyelids growing heavy as he stared up at Caleb. Caleb smiled. "Go curl up with Dean and take a nap."

Sam moved sluggishly, his head still hurting but the cracks were smoothing back over as he did what Caleb told him to. He curled up and Dean wrapped his arms around him, staring at Caleb in fear since he didn't know what was wrong with Sammy. Sam nuzzled weakly and then his eyes slid shut, body limp.

"Sammy hurt?" Dean whispered.

"Yeah. Sammy's hurt... I'm trying to fix him." Caleb looked at Dean. "You want me to take over taking care of you until Sammy's better?"

"How? Can't feed." Dean stared at him, not sure. Caleb take care of him too?

"If I find a way, is that okay?"

"Not take Sammy away?" Dean asked, holding Sam tightly.

"No, Sammy's gonna stay with us."

"If...if best for Sammy." Dean whispered, scared at the idea of someone other than Sammy being in control but Caleb was being nice to Sammy and he hadn't hurt Dean at all either so maybe it would be okay.

"Okay. Lemme talk to Bobby, and get food. I'm hungry." He leant over and kissed gave Dean a peck on the cheek before moving to do just as said.

Dean smiled at the kiss and gave him one back. "Back quick?" Dean asked as he rocked Sam who remained utterly limp and deeply asleep in his arms, the damage to the blankness still healing.

"Half hour tops." Caleb said with a cocky grin that he didn't feel.

TBC…