Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Disclaimer: Not mine.
Hope you’re all liking this. I can update fairly fast since SkesisGirl and I have a bit roughly written, just need to edit as I go.

Chapter 3

Sam blinked, body aching like he'd been sick and tried to remember what was going on. He managed to turn his head and saw Dean fast asleep with his head in Caleb's lap. He struggled to smile at the cute sight before looking up at his younger brother.

"Caleb." He whispered and then coughed, his throat feeling raw.

Caleb moved, offering him a bottle of Gatorade. "Morning."

Sam drank greedily before struggling to sit up.
"What happened?" he asked quietly, his head still pounding. He slipped, too weak to get even sit against the headboard. He really hated getting sick!

"You are a stubborn sonovabitch. That's what happened." Caleb sighed, his hand carding through Dean's hair gently. "You slept on the floor and made your stupid ass sick."

"Oh....you wouldn't come out." Sam remembered. He reached out for Caleb's hand.
"You're staying right? Please."

Caleb pulled his hand away to show that he was still upset, turning to look away from Sam.

"Please stay. We love you, need you. We messed up but we can do better. Why...." Sam trailed off and frowned.
"Didn't Bobby call you after we disappeared?" Sam asked, surely the hunter would have called him for backup. Yeah they'd only met once but Bobby knew what Caleb meant to them and that he wasn't normal, Caleb could have helped. Caleb shook his head no in answer. Sam frowned, trying to figure out why Bobby hadn't called for help.
"I don't understand, I made him promise to call you if anything went wrong. Pretty sure us vanishing into thin air counts." Sam mumbled, trying to think around his headache.
"Can I take anything yet? Head's throbbing, can't think." Sam asked him.

Caleb handed him some more pills. "Been a good six hours." He had the bags under his eyes to prove it. Sam swallowed them dry, studying Caleb and then he smiled softly, grasping the hand that had given him the pills.

"Not dying kitten, you should sleep for a while." Sam used his nickname, hoping Caleb would accept it.

"Someone had to watch over you. Dean pretty much put me in charge."

Sam chuckled slightly at that. "Dean....you okay with what he's like now? Has he remembered anything about you?" Sam asked gently, not wanting to upset Caleb.

"He knows I like ice cream and that I was sent to kill him." Caleb shrugged.

Sam winced, why did Dean have to remember that? "He wasn't scared of you or anything was he? Sometimes he reacts weird to remembering things. He seems pretty comfortable with you now." Sam said, smiling at the fact that Dean was still asleep in Caleb's lap.

"He's fine with me now." Caleb looked down at Dean. "I cheated with that..."

"Cheated?" Sam asked in confusion.

“You said he had to obey you, so as a test I told him to take a nap in your voice." He shook Dean's shoulder gently to wake the incubus. But Dean didn't react to the shake and Sam frowned.

"Was it instantaneous like when I told him? You don't have the bond with him, even if you did mimic my voice......"

"No. He yawned, said he was sleepy, and curled up with me. Dean?"

"Dean, time to wake up." Sam called softly and sleepy green eyes opened, seeing Caleb first and Dean smiled, snuggling into him before looking over to Sam.

"Sammy better?" Dean asked and Sam nodded.
"Good. Caleb looked after you." Dean told him.

"I do know how to take care of myself." Caleb muttered. The wound was still raw, and it was gonna take a while to heal.

"Know you do, thanks for looking after me." Sam told him, looking him in the eye. Sam shifted on the bed slowly, moving closer to them. He curled up against Caleb's free side and sighed happily, putting a hand on Dean's side.

Why did he always end up in the middle of a Winchester sandwich? He wasn't a baby. Why did everyone treat him like one? Caleb sighed and moved so he was lying down, moving so his face was in the pillow, not really curling with anyone. Sam moved weakly closer, seeking out Caleb's body heat even as he wrapped an arm around him.

"Please." Sam practically whimpered, nuzzling at Caleb's side, not seeking anything but comfort. Dean stared at Sam's actions with wide eyes; used to Sam always being strong and in control and it scared him. Dean whimpered, his grip tightening on Caleb to the point that it would hurt a normal human, he didn't always remember that as an incubus he was stronger than Sam and Bobby now.

Caleb winced at Dean's tight grip but didn't say anything. "I'm tired Sam..."

"Go to sleep kitten. You're not alone, never again." Sam promised softly seeing the wince he put his hand over Dean's.
"Dean too tight." Sam told him and Dean let go in horror.

"Sorry, sorry. Hurt you?" Dean asked Caleb, terrified he'd hurt him.

"I'm fine Dean." Caleb slurred as he drifted off, instinctively curling around Sam.

Sam smiled, he knew the move hadn't really been a conscious decision but it gave him hope that Caleb still wanted to be with them. He cradled Caleb close and Dean moved to lay against Caleb's back, head on his shoulder. Dean knew he always felt better sleeping with Sam so obviously Caleb felt the same way. Caleb relaxed more as he let himself slip into a deeper sleep, surrounded by the familiar scents of his brothers. Sam smiled as he felt Caleb totally relax in sleep.

"You okay Dean, not hungry?" Sam whispered and Dean shook his head.

"Not hungry or sleepy."

"Okay, got to stay quite so Caleb can sleep." Sam warned and Dean nodded seriously.

"Caleb mad at us. Was I bad before?" Dean asked and Sam sighed, he'd been scared about Dean asking. It wasn't like Dean remembered or was even that person anymore, should he drag it up?

Caleb's ear twitched at the voices, the computer bringing him back from sleep to listen in. He moved a bit, still mainly asleep, getting more comfortable, nuzzling into Sam's neck. Sam smiled as he felt Caleb nuzzling in his sleep, moving a hand to his hair to stroke it and hopefully keep him asleep.

"Okay I'll tell you but no talking about it to Caleb, okay? Some of what happened he still doesn't know and would just upset him." Sam warned and Dean nodded. Caleb relaxed against him, a soft purr starting at the stroking of his hair.
"Okay. We stopped at a dinner for dinner one night and I went in to get food for all three of us, you and Caleb stayed in the car. Remember the demon that killed Mom?" Sam asked and Dean nodded with wide eyes.
"He wanted me so he took me from the dinner and killed everyone else inside. You and Caleb went inside but all there was as a clue was some sulphur. You called Bobby for help, that's when he met Caleb but he knew about him before that." Sam explained softly, leaning forward to gently kiss Caleb’s forehead, hating that he had to remember what had happened himself. If only he had told Dean no.

Caleb purred a bit louder at the kiss, but really he was listening in on the conversation. Wondering what the hell was going on. Sam sighed but couldn't help smiling at the purring and the way Dean was staring at Caleb, not sure what the noise was.

"He's purring Dean, means he likes it." Sam told him and so Dean moved a hand to rub over Caleb's back, wanting to hear more purring.

"What happened next?" He asked.

"Well you two met up with Bobby but couldn't find anything. Then you got a call from a friend named Ash saying he'd found something so you went to the Roadhouse, it was a place for hunters to meet and talk. When you got there it was burnt down and they were all dead. Now I'm not entirely sure on what happened next, I wasn't there and you were pretty cagey about it when I asked later." Sam warned him and Dean nodded, still rubbing and petting Caleb’s back. Gah! He was getting a back rub now; Caleb purred louder, it just felt good. Damn cat DNA.
"Well apparently you freaked out a bit, you couldn't find me, a lot of people were dead and....you sent Caleb away. Apparently you thought he wasn't safe with you, that he'd go missing next. Then Andy, he was another kid like me; he managed to send you a vision of where we were."

"Like you?" Dean asked and Sam closed his eyes.

"Remember what the bad lady did?" Sam asked and Dean nodded.

"Hurt you, made your eyes black." Dean whimpered. Caleb moved slightly again, so he could hear better, one hand fisting into Sam's shirt gently.

"Yeah Dean, she could do that because of the demon that killed Mom. He did something to me and the other kids. He....he fed us his blood so that one of us would become the leader of his army." Sam told Dean softly, not sure how much he truly understood.

"That's why Bobby said we're not allowed to say Christo." Dean gasped and clamped a hand over his mouth even as Sam moaned slightly in pain, blackness flickering in the depths of his eyes. Caleb whimpered softly, his fist tightening around Sam's shirt as he nuzzled into Sam's neck more, as if he was in a nightmare, hoping he's in a nightmare. This had to be a nightmare.
"Sorry! Sorry, bad, sorry." Dean babbled as Sam took a deep breath.

"S'okay Dean, not your fault. I'm okay now, see. Just don't say that word again unless someone's coming after you so you can make sure they're not a demon okay?" Sam asked and Dean nodded his head frantically.
"Shh Dean, not mad at you." Sam whispered, moving a hand to stroke his side, wanting to calm him before he woke Caleb though Sam wasn't sure if the kid was still asleep of faking. Oh Caleb was faking; he was just really good at faking it. He shifted more, relaxing once again, letting them think he was just dreaming earlier.

"Did we find you?" Dean asked and Sam nodded.

"Yeah. After you made Caleb leave, still not entirely sure how you managed that with how stubborn he is. You got to Cold Oak, the ghost town we were being held in and it was just be and this guy named Jake left alive. We were fighting; he believed the demon over me. I knocked him out and heard you calling for me so I turned and started walking; I was hurt but not too bad. Then..." Sam trailed off and Dean frowned before whimpering.

"Stabbed." Dean choked, reaching desperately for Sam and Sam hated the fact that Dean had to remember that out of everything. Caleb's eyes snapped opened at the mention of being stabbed, but his face was buried next to Sam's chest, maybe he didn't feel it.

"Yeah Dean he stabbed me, severed my spine. You caught me and Bobby chased him but....." Sam couldn't bring himself to say it, to tell Dean he'd held Sam as he died.

Caleb couldn't contain the growl in the back of his throat. He popped up and glared at Sam. "What happened?!"

"Caleb." Sam choked, fighting tears. He hadn't wanted the kid to know, to burden him with how badly Sam had screwed up.

"What happened Sam?!" Caleb growled. "You're spine was severed yet you're walking and talking like nothing! Tell me!"

Sam stared at him with wide eyes, not noticing the frown on Dean's face.

"Sammy still and cold." Dean whimpered, hugging himself.
"Wouldn't wake up."

"You died...?" Caleb blinked at Dean then back to Sam. "If you died, how are you still here? Why do you react to Christo?!"

Sam groaned, clutching at his chest, eyes flickering black and since he was looking at Caleb it meant he could see the change.

"No Caleb! Bad, don't say it!" Dean yelled.

"What happened Sam?!" Caleb snarled, ignoring Dean.

Sam gasped for breath as the pain faded but didn't look away from Caleb; he deserved the truth, to know just what he'd been sleeping with back then.

"I died.....and Dean sold his soul to bring me back. Bitch didn't even give him the usual terms, he got one year to live and if he tried anything I would drop dead." Sam answered tightly. Caleb paled at that, looking over to Dean then back to Sam.
"I woke up alone on a cot, not knowing where I was or why I was alone. All I remembered was hearing Dean and then a white hot pain." Sam admitted quietly, finally looking away, over to Dean who was still whimpering. Figuring Dean had been through enough he decided he would tell Caleb alone.
"Dean its okay, go to sleep." He whispered and tear filed eyes locked with his before sliding shut in sleep.

Caleb watched Dean immediately pass out. "Yeah... it wasn't that soon with me." he looked back to Sam with a hard stare waiting for him to continue.

"I didn't know I'd died, Dean told me Bobby patched me up and I believed him. He said you were with Cameron on a mission so I didn't think twice about you not being there. I was a bit foggy, didn't really remember that you'd been in the car too. We headed for Bobby's to figure out what was going on since Jake got away. Things.....it was worse than we thought." Sam admitted.

"Oh really...? How?" Caleb crossed his arms, keeping his anger below simmering at this point. He wanted the whole story.

"Turns out the demon wanted to open a Devil's Gate. You can guess what that is?" Sam asked, not sure if he had to explain or if Caleb could work it out himself from what little he knew about demons.

"Sounds like a gate to hell. I heard of another one in my travels... a hellmouth."

"Yeah, remember us mentioning the Colt?" Sam asked

"The gun that can kill anything except Cameron."

That got a strained chuckle.
"Yeah, that Colt. Turns out the guy who made it had also made the biggest Devil's Trap ever around the Gate and the Colt was the key to open the Gate. And the demon had the gun. Since it went missing when Dad died we figure it was part of the price for saving Dean's life. We got there but Jake's powers had grown....he could make people do things. Doesn't work on me but he had Ellen put her gun to her head so we had to put ours down or she'd shoot herself. Dean and Bobby tackled her but.....Jake opened the Gate."

"Oh fun." Caleb sat back on his heels as he listened, his face showing no emotion as he watched Sam.

"Yeah, a real party. Hundreds of demons got free from hell. We managed to get it shut again and...I killed Jake, shot him six times. He was so shocked to see me, kept saying he'd killed me and he was so sure that I started getting suspicious over how Dean had reacted and then the look on Bobby's face when we showed up at his place. But the demon was there, attacking Dean who had grabbed the Colt and I had to help him, not that I did anything other than get pinned to a tree." Sam told him, staring at the blanket as he picked at a lose thread.

"Keep going."

"He was talking to Dean but I couldn't hear and then....Dad was there. He had gotten out the Gate before we shut it and he tackled the demon briefly but it was enough. Dean shot it with the last bullet from the Colt and killed it. When we got back to the car I confronted Dean and he tried to deny but he finally admitted he made a Deal to bring me back and.....I was so mad at him. He hated it when Dad did it for him and then expected me to be happy. What's dead should stay dead." Sam spat angrily, hands clenched into fists.

"Yeah well you’re both obviously here. How did Dean get like that?" Caleb nodded towards the sleeping Incubus.

"We got more water?" Sam asked, rubbing his still sore throat.

He was talking too much but he had to tell Caleb what had happened, they owed him that and so much more. Caleb moved, grabbing another Gatorade and handing it to him. He then just crossed his arms and pinned Sam with a steely look. Sam ignored the look in favour of wetting his throat, happy when it no longer felt like a desert. He drank the whole bottle and then shifted his position on the bed.

"Took me over a week of nagging about you to get Dean to admit he'd sent you away. Think that was the biggest fight we'd had since.....since he told me Dad's last words and what they could mean for me. I was so mad at him for sending you away, what if something had gotten to you but Dean kept insisting you were safer far away form us and hunting and.....I gave in. I shouldn't have I know.....I just....I was terrified I'd be watching Dean dragged to hell in under twelve months. What if the hounds went after you if you were there since you are so similar? I couldn't...I'm so sorry." Sam choked out. Caleb just snorted in answer waiting to find out what happened that made Dean and Sam what they are now.

Sam curled in on himself a bit at the noise, hating himself. He destroyed every life he touched, his Mom, Jess, Dad, Dean, Ava.......so many people dead because of him. Maybe it was better if Caleb hated him, maybe that would keep him safe. Sam clenched his eyes against tears.

"What happened next?" Caleb almost snarled.

But Sam didn't, couldn't answer as he began gasping for air, fighting utter despair as he finally realised just how much of a monster he was. Too bad Bobby had used the last bullet for the Colt on her; he should have used it on Sam instead.

Caleb watched him silently. He wanted to help him, but he was too hurt by everything. "You know... I thought Family meant everything to you two... but obviously I'm not family." Caleb spat out before getting out of the bed. "Cause I could have helped... I could have stopped some of this." His voice hitched at that. "But I guess I'm just a liability. So go and feel sorry for yourself... cause I ain't cleaning this mess up." He bolted from the room at that.

Sam screamed as he left, tears blurring his vision as he staggered off the bed and over to the weapons bag still sitting it where he'd put it after moving out of the panic room and into the house. Shaking hands dug through it till he found Dean's silver machete. Caleb would look after Dean, Dean responded to him. They didn't need him; he'd just get them killed. Sam raised the blade to his arm.

TBC…