Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


CHAPTER SIX



Catherine looked across the field with the horses, then back at her guides. "Are you sure this is a good idea? The last time I got near a horse I got sixteen stitches."

"It's a very good idea," Robbie assured her, whistling loudly. One of the horses looked up and trotted over. He and Sasha both moved to pet that one. "This one is very loving. Both of us learned to ride on her," he assured her. "She's used to shy people and people who aren't really sure they want to be out here."

William gave her a nudge. "She won't bite. She didn't bite me and I was playing mean pranks when I got introduced."

"Fine." She stepped forward, letting the horse sniff her. The mare's ears went back and she backed up. "Sure, that's all good," she agreed. The horse snorted and she quickly retreated farther away. "We were saying?"

"Solange didn't like her?" Sasha asked, looking at her horse. "What is wrong with you? You like everyone." She patted the soft neck gently. "Are you radiating hostility or something?"

"No, my distaste isn't quite that bad," Catherine assured her. "I don't like them, they don't like me, I'm really glad that we got cars." She shrugged. "Horses have *never* liked me."

Tyler looked at her, then sighed. "You're the first of you in *history* that the horses haven't liked. Even the ones who eventually ended up going bad the horses liked. It's not fair to you."

"Well, the others also probably only had one of you and since I have more, doesn't that make me more special?" she retorted.

Tyler started to open his mouth, then he shook it, but it was Alexi who laughed. "She's got a point, Ty. She really does. Willing to try once more?" She sighed and stepped closer, letting him take her hand. The horse whinnied and turned, running away. "Okay, they don't like you," he agreed. "We'll make sure they don't put you in that as your gym elective."

"I used to think that they had some sort of horse telepathy. Somewhere is the one who decided I was bad first and it's been sent out to all the other horses."

"Well," Tyler said quietly, glancing around. "It can't be proved whether or not herds do communicate." She grimaced and picked up a clump of dirt to throw at him. "Easy!"

"No, I'm not."

"Okay, you're not," he agreed with a grin. "Come on, I'll help you with your physics homework since the plans for a long ride seems to have fallen through."

"We could try riding double. Solange would let one of us up first," Sasha suggested.

"Let's not," Tyler told her. "We don't want to hurt her." He looked behind him when Marna came into view. He glanced at Alexi, who let her go. "If you want, you can try to get one of the horses one more time."

Sasha looked over at them, but the whole herd had run off. "I doubt it. It seems someone's scared them." She looked at Marna. "Sorry, we're trying to get her used to it before gym class. I still think we should get some ice cream first, Tyler."

Robbie grimaced. "No, Sasha. We need to make sure her physics homework is impeccable. I want our friend to be the tops in that class."

"I'm already all-but tops in my business classes," Catherine offered. "I love theory but it's the technical aspects that keep getting to me. Especially the mechanical." She walked through the gate, letting them get it for themselves. "Hey, Marna. Having fun?" She looked at Alexi. "What was with Benton in accounting? It was like he was grossed out by the thought of stocks."

"I'm not really sure," Robbie admitted. "I tried to talk to him but I have no idea what happened. We can commandeer a study room if you wanted to work on those things." He shrugged. "I've not done my homework yet either."

"I wouldn't care. I'm a bit ahead in there and my other business classes." She grinned, heading around her nemesis back to the school with the others parading behind around. "You know, I haven't seen many of the rest of you guys recently. Are they ill?"

"No, they're hiding. Someone seems to think that she had a chance with them," Tyler told her. "They thought it best to leave her alone." He patted her on the head. "You need to grow more, Catherine."

"I'm probably as grown as I'm going to be. You're just going to have to accept that I'm short, Tyler." She grinned up at him. "See, I told you I didn't like horses and they hated me."

"True, you did. I'll quit nagging you to go riding with me," he agreed, smirking at her for the way she had just shoved Marna's comments back in her face. "We should email your mother again. She seemed to like the jokes I sent her."

"Why were you emailing my mother?" she asked, frowning at him.

"Because you left your last message open. We sent it for you," he said with a grin. "We didn't want your mom to worry about you, you know." He patted her on the back. "I got a very nice one back from her at the address I gave her. She thought I sounded quite polite and was hoping I was helping you in those nasty hard sciences. So, what part of the physics lecture were you having problems with again?" The others laughed.

"The mechanical parts. A mechanical person I am not. Machines and I are great. I push the button and they work." He snickered. "Other than that, I don't think I need to know. I don't find it that interesting. Sorry."

"Not an issue. Even a theory person has to pick a branch of theory to cling to, otherwise they get tossed around in the wind," he agreed, holding the door for his brothers since she hadn't let them get the door for her. "Your taste for the business stuff means that you'll probably never get along with the lesser goal-oriented parts of physics. Yes, gears make the world go round, but they don't do much if you're interested in firm lines and numbers. I'm sure aerodynamics was that way."

"No, my early interest in fantasy novels helped me there," she pointed out. "Let's face it, I've had a dragonmail account now for years. It made sense when I put it into that context." They all nodded and a few sighed. "Sorry, guys, but I'm a fantasy novel girl. You're going to have to get used to the oddness that flows around me sometimes."

"At least it's a handy way of explaining some odd things that seem to go on around you," Tyler agreed. "I'm sure we can use that to our advantage too." He patted her on the back. "It was most genius of us to pick you as a friend you know. You do make things quite interesting."

"Hey, I try," she said smugly, smirking at him. "Now, how do I get past the grinding gears in my head to get over the mechanical part of physics?"

"We go back to fantasy novel concepts," Alexi said firmly. "What has gears?"

"Space ships," Tyler offered.

"I thought they all worked on reactor power or something," Catherine said, looking confused. "They work on gears? Shouldn't you have something more ...futuristic by the time it's Star Trek?"

"One would hope so but the others don't have the anti-matter drives those do," Robbie offered. "Some of them do mention gears and we can use the beginnings of a space ship to deal with that."

"You know, speaking as an anime person, if we don't already have those giant robots and the battle armor they've been predicting since the fifties, I'd be really surprised," Sasha offered. "Those would be a bit more down-to-earth for her. Some of the battle robots do run with gears, pedals, and switches."

"I've never really seen much of that," Catherine offered. "But I'm willing to try."

"Then I'll get you some of my comics and manga, we'll see if they make sense and we'll do the lessons with a giant battle robot."

"Cool." Catherine looked at her, then stepped closer. "We don't have one of those lying around, right?"

Sasha laughed, patting her on the back. "Not here, kitten," she said innocently. "Maybe one of the older kids has one in their basement but we don't."

"Oh, that's good," she agreed, nodding. "I like that idea. Just as long as I'm not expected to break it." She nodded more firmly. "I can't see me doing anything but breaking one actually." The guys laughed. "Seriously. Should I get my books?"

"Go for it," Tyler agreed. "We'll meet you in the library." She jogged off and he looked at Sasha. "I didn't know Kelvin had one of those."

"He said he's working on it. I was going to ask him if he'd send us some introductory lessons." She grinned and strolled off to use the phone in her mother's office. Her sister-in-law wouldn't mind that much. She tapped briefly before walking in. "Hey, needed to call Kelvin. We're tutoring in mechanical physics." Her sister-in-law Marilyn gave her a look then glanced at the person in front of her. "Oh, hey, sorry. I can easily use the outer phone if necessary."

"No, young lady, it's good that you feel comfortable enough to barge in on the Headmistress' office."

"She's one of the Headmistress's daughters," the sister-in-law said firmly. "She has every right to call her big brother." She handed over the phone. "Make it short."

"Sure. Kitten and I are confused in physics and I was hoping Kelvin had something that could help us." She dialed a long distance number. "Hey, Kel, it's Sasha. Our kitten has a problem with mechanicals in physics. She's a fantasy person and I thought instantly of our collection of battle robot anime. Think you have something that could help us?" She grinned. "Excellent. Yeah, I'll be waiting beside the machine. Thanks, bro." She hung up. "He's faxing over some robot schematics to help us." She looked at the man. "Was there a problem?"

"Nothing that should concern you, young lady."

"Actually, everything concerns me," Sasha pointed out. "Especially if it concerns my mother and her being missing."

"She's *missing*?"

"She never told the children where she was going or why," the sister-in-law covered, giving Sasha a look. "Some of them have even thought that she might have been taken by someone." Sasha nodded. "She said she was in hiding because of the person who threatened her life so none of you students could get hurt."

"Which is great, but I'd rather not have the standard womanhood talk with you, sis." She shrugged. "You'd just confuse me." She headed out to watch the fax machine as it spit out detailed drawing after detailed drawing of a popular battle robot design. "Cool. I like that one, it's more old-fashioned." She gathered up everything once they stopped, listening to the hissed conversation inside the office. She would be sure to tell Tyler that the mayor of the village had been up here and what was going on. She met everyone in the library, handing over the drawings first. "The mayor was up." Everyone looked at her. "He was complaining about the students not having a firm guiding hand and about mother." She crossed her arms. "He actually suggested replacing her with one of his lackeys."

"He can't do that. The school and the town are different," Tyler pointed out. He stood up. "I think maybe I should have a talk with our beloved mayor. He's the one who starts all those rumors as well." He strolled out, casually heading that way. He met them in the outer office. "Sorry, Sasha said she's missing a drawing," he admitted, heading for the fax machine. "Hmm. He must have forgot the interior carriage." He sat down to call his brother, a different one but he would answer to the same name. "Hey, it's Tyler. Did you forget to include a drawing of the interior? We'll need it for mechanical lessons. No, nothing *that* important, just Kitten's and Sasha's lessons. You know, those sort of things." Coded, but it let that brother know that things were going odd up at the school and with their bonded one. "Yeah. Sure. You're sure you wanna come up?" He grinned. "Hey, we'd love to have you guest lecture in the lessons. The teacher's feeling a bit stretched at the moment. They scheduled him two classes at the same time. Deal, man. See you soon." He hung up. "That was Brad, he was at Kel's. He's wanting to come up to help in the physics lectures. I didn't think you'd mind?"

"No, he did the lectures while the teacher was out sick that one time," the acting headmistress agreed. "Thank you for that. I'm sure you'll have a fun reunion."

"Hopefully." The fax machine spit out a new drawing and he gathered it up. "Yeah, that's what we needed." He grinned at the mayor. "So, are any new businesses coming in? We're getting itchy for some good video games and things among the lower years."

"Not yet," he admitted bitterly. "The bookstore is coming back next month however."

"Our friend would love that," Tyler agreed. "She's a real fantasy buff. Brought in about a hundred books with her." The mayor's jaw clenched. "They're not carrying any?"

"If not, I'm sure they can order them for the girl."

"If not, she's got an online account she does that through and her mother ships them to her," Tyler agreed. "I know she'd rather have a local source. The anticipation sometimes drives her to distraction." He grinned innocently, putting the man off balance. "Anything else new coming up? Are we having a harvest celebration this year? I was going to ask her to show her around."

"We are. I'll leave now," he said, glaring at the pro-tem Headmistress. "Don't forget what we talked about." He stomped off.

Tyler glanced out the door. "What is he going on about now?" he asked her. She scowled at him. "You know very well this current crisis involves us," he said quietly. "The same as you know that it involves Kitten. We all know that now. We need to have information to deal with it."

"He's pushing to have the school moved."

"We've been here longer than there's been a town," Tyler pointed out.

"Yes, but he's one of those conspiracy people. He thinks we're here to warp people."

"He can bite me," Tyler offered with a bright grin. "If the school falls then a lot of people are going to be rushing to do some damage control. People like the Sisters." He stood up, nodding politely at the secretary as she came back. "If anything else comes from Kel or Brad, we're in the library," he said with a wink, making the older woman blush. "They're helping us with Kitten's physics lessons. She's not a mechanical person, she's a fantasy creature person and no one's ever made a fantasy creature from gears." He strolled off, taking the drawing with him. It seemed like it was time to talk to the older and wiser members of the family. He walked into the library, going up to the head librarian, who was a member of the Sisterhood, though the male branch of it. "Family meeting time," he said cheerfully, taking the book he was holding out. The man smirked at him. "Is it due soon?"

"As soon as you get done with it," he noted.

Tyler looked at the book, then at him. "Niche has never been that easy but I'll try." He headed into their study room, closing the door soundly behind him. "We're going to have to have a family meeting. Orders to the contrary or not." Everyone stared at him. "The mayor wants us to replace mother with a town lackey or to shut the school."

"Oh, no," Robbie sighed. "That's what he was doing up here?" Tyler nodded. Sasha looked sick. "What?"

"I heard him saying that he was going to complain about our odd educational system to the proper authorities in the government."

"He can try, they accept our means and ways since so many colleges accept our credits," Robbie pointed out.

Alexi sighed. "It's often a matter of politics and none of us play it that well."

"Then the perfect solution to that would have been Nicholas," Catherine pointed out. "Or someone exactly like him. Yes, I read that part as well, but I have no idea if there's any of you who are the proper age."

"We could just call Nick," Tyler told her. He grinned. "That is a wonderful idea however. He'd hate to be called from Yale."

"He'll survive," Catherine pointed out. "The school might not."

"Indeed," Sasha agreed. "I'll call him myself if I have to."

"He'll have to come for the family meeting," Alexi pointed out.

"Yes, and the others will concur," Robbie agreed.

"Then we'll bring it up then." Tyler grinned at their helper. "Good job, Kitten." He handed over the last drawing. "Brad did it, he's on his way up as well."

"Excellent. He's always very good at giving the international maze of corporations lectures," Robbie said happily. "It'll do our business program quite well."

"For now, let's work on physics," Catherine decided. "I need it more."

"Agreed," Tyler agreed, settling in to help her with this area. Not his best either but the diagrams were going to make sense to her, he was sure of it.

***


Tyler set himself in the middle of the various portals, speakers, and people, coughing. It didn't stop the babble of voices. "Hey!" That got silence. "Thank you." They were in the bonding arena so no one could really overhear them and all the children still in the school were gathered close enough to hear. "Thank you for attending this event. We have a few very bad problems going on and I do not think some of you are aware of them."

"Is this about why Mother disappeared?" one female voice asked.

"Yes, it is," Tyler said dryly. "They're not looking for her. They're hoping we, with our bonded one who carries the same name, will go rescue her so he can use us and her." That got a few hisses. "Then there's the problem of ...." A new portal formed. "Finally, Nick." He grinned. "Morning. Early on your coast is it?" He got a frown in return. "As I was saying, we've found out that he doesn't really want Mother, he wants someone with the same name, who happens to be our bonded. He's already tried to watch her once but we managed to stop it."

Nicholas, the oldest of the males, looked him over. "Where are the others?"

"In the bleachers. I got nominated to speak."

"Oh, fine. Why was I called? I can do nothing about that situation."

"No, but you could come and take over the school while Mother's gone," Tyler retorted. "Since the Mayor wants to shut us down or install one of his people to destroy us and figure out what's going on."

Nicholas raised an eyebrow. "How did you come to that conclusion, Tyler?"

"Easy, we overheard it. Sasha and I both did."

"Oh." He blinked a few times. "Who else is coming over?"

"I'm coming to guest teach," Brad's voice came from a speaker. "I'm due in within a week, depending on how things at White Knight shape up in the next few days."

"I have to give some notice. We're in the middle of the semester here," Nicholas pointed out. "I'll do the best I can, Tyler, and tell you by tomorrow morning."

"Thank you," Sasha said as she came down. "He's threatened to talk to the politicians about us. Get us closed or whatever he can do."

"Then we definitely need to have a firm hand and I'm one of the five of us who are scholarly," Nicholas agreed.

"Interestingly enough, our bonded read the journal of the first Headmistress and thought of you instantly," Sasha said proudly.

"Wonderful. Hold on, your bonded?"

"Team bonded," Tyler said with a small smirk.

"Get it right, I'm a mascot," Catherine called down.

"Okay, she's decided she's a mascot," Sasha said with a grin, "but we like her anyway. Even though she hates horses and loves fantasy novels."

"Especially the ones with dragons in them," Tyler finished. "Caused no end of problems one day."

Nicholas shook his head and groaned. "Give me a week. I'll be there." His portal disappeared.

"Anyone else want to come help? We could use the pimping for the other business interests," Sasha offered.

Most of the kids laughed. "We'll see," came out of various portals and speakers.

One voice came out differently. "I want to see this prophecy again. I'll be up to look at the book sometime tomorrow," she said firmly. "Have it pulled for me, kids." That speaker went dead.

"Hmm, she's not usually that abrupt," Sasha said, wandering off to call her and check on her. Her sister had never really hung up on anyone.

"That leaves the rest of you. Can we count on some help somehow?" Tyler asked. "Vacations will be soon and I'm sure some of us will be following her home since Mother's not here. Either that or we'll have to find someplace nice for the holidays."

"If you do, come to White Knight," Brad told him. "You can have a working holiday in the archives."

"Sure, Brad," another one in the same area said dryly, "and we'll do what with their bonded?"

"She's a business person," Tyler offered. "You and she might get along really well."

"Yes, but after only a year she probably can't make that distinction. Besides, I saw her profile and I'm sure she'd like the time off. Most first years do."

"Then we'll work it out," Brad decided. "I can easily work from the school for now. My computer travels." He groaned and something popped. "Besides, my shoulder's still messed up and I need a break from my research into Middle Eastern customs."

"Then she might be able to help you more than me," the business person said. "Her father was an Anthropologist before he died on a trip."

"She's mentioned a step-father," Tyler admitted quietly, glancing that way. She was chatting with Alexi about something. "Can you maybe send that to us? We don't understand sometimes."

"Sure, brother. I'll bring it with me," Brad agreed. "Lets all go. We'll see you soon. Hang on. If I know Nicholas, he'll be here in the morning."

Most everyone hung up and the portals mostly closed, but one sent a plate of cookies out, which Tyler gladly took with a grin. Then that one closed and he got up so he could share them with the others. "Valeria will be here tomorrow," he announced. "She wants that book on the prophecies to go through again." He nibbled his own cookie. "Sorry, Kitten. Dragonnip."

"That's all right," she said with a grin. "I've got chocolates upstairs still." She looked at him. "So, what am I doing for the holidays?"

"Being stalked," William said with a rakish grin. "Mind horribly?"

"Probably not," she admitted. "As long as you don't make my mother too upset or make her start to think about weddings."

"I'd never do that," William said seriously. "It would mean I'd have to settle down. I'd die doing that."

"One of these days he'll see it's not that bad," Alexi sighed, shaking his head.

"Yes, but until then, I'm happy the way I am, thank you," William said smartly. "Let's get her back up to her room, guys."

"I'm going," Tyler agreed. "See you at breakfast." He escorted her up to their floor, glancing at his brother as they walked in. "Nick's coming and so is Valeria. She wants the book again."

Philip Rayne looked at him, then nodded once. "Excellent. Nick may cure some of the current problems. People are pushing us to name a new Headmistress."

"Well, Nick's not exactly female, but do you think his time at Yale will count?" Tyler asked dryly, smirking at him.

"I'd hope so. The Order won't mind him," Philip agreed, heading back to his room. "Go to bed, children. Remember, you both have early classes tomorrow." He closed his door and sat down to call the Sister he was working with for information. "Helena? It's Philip. No, some good news. Nick's on his way back to take over for Mother for a bit. Yes, the one at Yale. Plus Tyler's talked a few of the older siblings back to help out with things now and then. Valeria will be here tomorrow as well. Yes, that would be the best solution. Thanks, love. Tell the little person I miss her." He smiled as he hung up, looking at the picture on his desk. "Soon you'll be back, little nip." He touched the child's face and forced himself to get up and go back to his grading essays. Next year's crop wasn't looking that promising and he had to find something in that pile of crud.