Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


"I'm no longer your best friend Harry. I'm going to shun you for not sending your House Elf. Do you. . ." Ron's rant is cut off by a fist in his face and another in his gut.


"Shut the bloody fucking hell up you whining git." Hermione snorts, standing over him with Ginny. She's the one who'd punched him in the stomach. "Nobody gives a flaming fart about you and your problems. Harry has never been your friend, you're a damn leech who latched onto him to use his fame as the boy-who-lived to make yourself rich and famous. You're no better than Malfoy in that manner. He at least is honest in his attempts to use Harry." Ron tries to get up and Ginny steps on him.


"But they locked me in a room without any food." He whines. "I could have starved to death. And you didn't . . ."


"Mr. Weasley, quit your histrionics. You were not denied food, the house elves left you a plate of food." Dumbledore thunders from the head table. "You are just upset because it was not the usual eight plates of food you consume for dinner. It is not Mr. Potter's job to feed you whenever you are hungry. My office. . .now."


"But I'm hungry, I only had one plate for breakfast." Ron whines as a house elf leads him away.


"Stupid, foolish child." Snape sighs. "Do you think he actually got any work done?" He asks McGonagall.


"Of course not, he was too busy whining about how he was hungry." she says, rolling her eyes. "Because the little twit has to eat as much as three people as many times a day as he can." She stands up and everybody looks her direction.


"Will the following students please stay in the Great Hall after breakfast. Classes today are cancelled for you, a student will be getting notes and assignments for you. We have a special guest arriving today to talk to you." She starts calling out names, everybody can see that all the houses but Slytherin are represented, the list consists of muggleborn, half-blood, and pureblood students.


"Students, who can tell me why we want to bring new blood into our culture?" The healer who's conducting the lecture asks. This is the first of three lectures planned for the students, she'd already had to nix that moron Fudge's plans to waltz in and have everybody bask in his magnificence as somebody talks about a future in the ministry. Not that any of it is the truth, the muggleborn students have already learned the truth about their chances of advancing through the ranks at the Ministry. Fudge had huffed, puffed, and all but stomped his feet and held his breath until he turned blue but with it all being the truth there was nothing he could do. And all his attempts to 'fix' the matter was just making things worse.


"Because otherwise by marrying our cousins we keep getting the breeding pool smaller and smaller until we have Ronald Weasley?" A scamp in the back of the room yells.


"You realize that's my brother right?" Ginny yells to the back of the room without turning around.


"Yeah, but you and the twits. .. err twins are the exception to the rule."


"You were right the first time." She calls back, getting laughter from everybody else in the room. "Bill and Charlie turned out fine, Percy just needs to yank the broomstick out of his arse."


"Or move it, he might enjoy it." Somebody else smirks. Professor McGonagall moans as the room erupts in laughter. She should be taking points left, right, and center but this isn't officially a class session so she can't.


"Gin, you ever realize that your brothers Percy and Ron really are a lot alike?" Hermione asks.


"You have got to be fucking kidding me. How are they alike?"


"They both think they're better than everybody else, the only differences are that Percy is as bad as Hermione about studying and getting good grades while Ron doesn't give a damn. And Percy is ambitious while Ron is lazy. Percy plans on being Minister one day while Ron plans on leading the Chudley Cannons to glory. They've both had their futures laid out nearly from the beginning, though only perfect Percy realizes that it's going to be a lot of hard work."


"While Ron expects everything to be handed to him on a silver platter because he's alive." Ginny sighs and nods. "Yeah, I see what you mean now. Percy would be heartbroken to be compared to Ron." She sniggers. The twins cackle and McGonagall sighs again, she knows she'll be getting a call from Molly tonight since the twins will be tormenting Percy while he's at school. Not that the little prig doesn't deserve everything he gets she thinks sourly.


The healer pulls their attention back to her.


"The pureblood student population has been falling rapidly, in two generations there might not be any pureblood students in the school."


"And of course they'd never allow new blood into their precious families." Ginny snorts. "Take Crabbe and Goyle for example, I don't expect either of them to have magical children unless they married a half-blood or muggleborn." Nods from the other students.


"And with the lack of jobs and opportunity in the wizarding world, there's not any muggleborn or half-bloods staying on unless they're already got jobs or plans for the future already lined up. Even those who have family responsiblities can do that from the muggle world."


"Albus, what will happen when there are no more pureblood students at Hogwarts?" Minerva asks that night after dinner.


"The same thing we're already doing Minerva, teaching the students though the non-magical classes won't be hidden anymore. In the ideal world I'd love to see our muggle-born students be able to be accepted by any university without having to explain why they haven't been in a traditional school for the last seven years."


"And the outside world?"


"I fear we're going to be seeing the ministry fail in the next couple of generations, pureblood families are getting older and their influence is beginning to wane. Their practice of not encouraging muggle-borns to climb higher in the ranks and openly discouraging them from staying on the job is leading to their downfall."


"And we're just as bad."


"I'm afraid so, we cannot keep a DADA teacher, History is a joke with Binns continually lecturing about the Goblin rebellion, and Muggle studies . . . The muggle students refuse to take that class, the teacher wouldn't know a muggle if it bit them."


"We really need a muggle-born student to come back and teach it. Or a half-blood who has lived in the muggle world."


"Really Minerva," Snape rolls his eyes. "Why not go all out and have a muggle teach the class?"


"Don't be surprised if that eventually happens Severus." Filius says. "Changing the subject, has Mr. weasley made good his threat to 'shun' Mr. Potter since he's no longer his bestest buddy for not saving him from the horror of only eating one plate of food?"


"Indeed he did." Minerva smirks. "He made a big production of ignoring Harry but since everybody was ignoring him, I fear he didn't get the reaction he wanted."


"Where is Mr. Weasley, and Madam Umbridge."


"Madam Umbridge was appalled that Mr. Weasley would ignore her direct instructions to work on his essays in favor of whining about how unfair it was he was only allowed one plate for dinner and is sitting with him in the room to make sure he actually works. She drug him off before dinner so he is no doubt having histrionics again."


"NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!"