Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup
[Reviews - 1]
Printer
Table of Contents
- Text Size +


Story Notes:

Second in the Xander as a Wizard ala Young Wizards series. We find out about his 'real' family <veg>

 

Small slash, seen off screen, non-graphic.

Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: Buffy and associated characters are property of Joss Whedon, Mutant Enemy, etc. Young Wizards characters, etc are the property of Diane Duane, and Harcourt Publishing
Rating: G/PG, Slash implied but not seen
Pairings: Tom/Carl, Xander/?? (to be determined in the far off future when he's of age)

Staring at the book that Jesse had picked out for him, Xander smiled. Even though Jesse and Willow both knew he didn't really bother to celebrate his birthday, it was still something cute. After all he and Jesse had been working on learning magic tricks for weeks now, simply because it was a great way to pass the time and keep themselves entertained.

So You Want To Be A Wizard, the title read, setting it aside Xander decided he'd read it a bit more closer to bed so that he could have at least one pleasant thought before he drifted off to sleep that night.

"Thanks Jess, it definitely promises to be cool if we can both learn some more tricks to work with. Hell maybe we'll even manage to impress Wills with it."

"Probably not, after all she's more interested in how you do it, than that you can do it," Jesse said frowning slightly. "Still it would be cool, to pull off some truly impressive tricks. Maybe make our lives better for all of us."

Xander just nodded at that. "Well this year we start Junior High, so that promises to be interesting at least, even if Willow is all worried about getting the best grades possible."

Jesse just shook his head at that. "Not like we've got a reason to push for the best grades, but hey it should be interesting at least. New school and all that."

*****

Flipping open the book Xander skimmed over the listings, frowning at what he read by the light of the flash light. "No way," he whispered softly as he read over what sounded like real magic. "There's no way this could be real...it's impossible."

Flipping through he froze at the ornate design of the one page, with the large block letters proclaiming 'The Wizard's Oath' at the top of it. Reading it over carefully, he frowned a moment before reading it a second time considering carefully what all it meant.

"In Life's name for for Life's sake, I say that I will use the Art for nothing but the service of that Life. I will guard growth and ease pain, I will fight to preserve what grows and lives will in it's own way; and I will change no object or creature unless it's growth and life, or that of the system of which it is part are threatened. To these ends, in practice of my Art, I will put aside fear for courage, and death for life when it is right to do so till Universes's end," Xander read aloud at last, feeling the pressure building as he spoke each word and at last it was almost like a baloon popping as all the pressure that he'd felt building up popped in an instant.

Letting out a soft yawn, as the events of the day slowly caught up with him, Xander closed the book, before carefully shoving it underneath the mattress, not wanting it to 'dissapear' on him.

Turning the flashlight off he set it on top of the nightstand and within minutes was fast asleep.

*****

Staring around at the wondrous place he found himself, Xander just shook his head in awe. "What is this place," he asked softly almost afraid to speak, fearing that he would wake and find that it had all been a dream.

"This is Time Heart, the place where all that is, was, or may yet be is, Alexander," a soft voice called out as a beautiful figure slowly appeared, shifting moment from moment in appearance, but always surrounded by a brilliant blaze of power. "This is the place where all things are made whole and that which was lost is found and all things that are loved can be found."

"Then it was real, the oath that I took," Xander asked softly, revrently.

The figure slowly nodded. "It was indeed. You are now a novice wizard, and there shall come yet your Trial that shall test you and push you to your limits and beyond. Your choices shall shape you and the price you are willing to pay shall define you and help to form your path. There will be many temptations and choices that you shall face. Be true to yourself and your heart and you will survive."

"Can you tell me what's going to happen," Xander asked hesitantly, seriously reconsidering the impulsive act of taking the Oath.

"For each person the trial is different. I can warn you that the Lone Power, has taken a special interest in you. You are a key person, whose importance will extend far beyond that which anyone can see. Listen carefully to your heart and know that no matter what, you are loved."

*****

Looking at his manual, Carl swore softly at the words that appeared there. 'The journey is begun, the oath is taken. The trial lies ahead for the chosen child. Hold faith, and all shall come to pass as it must. Once passed, the child shall meet the father.'

"Tom," Carl called softly, his voice unsteady, "I need to talk to you. It's important."

Looking up from his own manual, Tom frowned at the sound of Carl's voice. "What's wrong?"

Swallowing, Carl passed over his own copy of the manual, still open to the message that had been received just moments before.

Reading over the brief message, Tom swallowed heavily, knowing how much this was hurting his partner and lover of many years. They'd survived everything thrown at them so far, but this would be pushing his lover to the limit. "Yo Peach, got any words of wisdom for us. I'm sure you know exactly what about before you even ask."

Shivering, Macchu Picchu, looked at the two Advisory Wizards and stared off into the distance, as if trying to see something beyond mortal ability. "Be true and keep the faith...be prepared for pain and sorrow once you meet, and....never mind. That I can't say. It's too vague and uncertain."

"Will he survived it Peach," Carl asked softly, his voice filled with fear and uncertainty. "Probably...there's a lot of big guns aiming for him, but he's got a big heart and a strong will..."

*****

Epilogue:

Staring at the updated entry, Carl slowly read over it, swearing in increasingly louder and more exotic language as he read over the full entry. Reading over the last part of the entry he slammed his copy of the manual shut and stalked off muttering under his breath and gesturing wildly.

Picking up his copy of the manual Tom flipped through it knowing instinctively what it was that had set his lover off. Reading the entire entry from start to finish, he let out a soft sigh of his own. How his partner's child had survived that he did not know, but he had. Now came the hard part, dealing with the truths that had been revealed, dealing with the sense of betrayal of a child left to be raised by drunks. Raised on a rogue gate that led to various realms that the Lone Power and an even darker Power held sway over.

"He survived," Peach called out softly knowing how hot tempers were running at the moment. "There will be pain and a sense of betrayal, but time will heal the pain and grant ease to the weary heart and soul. Though he will be sore tested and pressed, and face far worse in the future."

"You couldn't warn us Peach," Tom asked softly, not wishing to draw Carl's volatile attention to this matter until later.

"Human lives are not so simple as the Dow Jones. They are far too fluid and easily changed. Now that he has passed this trial, the general outline of what he faces becomes more solid, but it still is fluid. The farther ahead one looks, the less certain it becomes."

The End